• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Choices and Free will

So I have a question about choices and decision making. I know when it comes to major decisions in life God should always be part of the process. And I know that God has a plan for all of us. But what about free will? He gives us the free will and the options to choose some things in life. So my question is, if you are presented with a choice, and its not a matter of life or death, good/evil, or moral/immoral, and both choices would be beneficial, will God help you and support you no matter which one you pick?

Like take choosing a career for example. If both options are good, will God help you and support you whichever way you choose to go?

I ask because I've recently been faced with a decision in my life and I know what i want, but I don't know if its what God wants-- and I don't want to continue to pursue the path I've chosen if its only going to hurt me in the end. So I've been praying and praying that if this isn't the right way, God will pull me away from it. But every time after I pray, I feel so reassured that I'm going the right way, and I even get excited and happy from thinking of whats to come. But like I said its a want, so I'm not sure if that's my own mind telling me this is right, or if its God. And then that's where the issue of free will and choices comes in. There isn't a right or wrong choice, so I guess its just a matter of want and preference.

So if there is a choice, and neither one or the other is right or wrong, will God support us and help us no matter which way we choose to go?

Thanks

Hello Audrey. First off i know for sure that God is happy that you came to him for advice and counsel. I wish that you will tell us what your dilemma is so that can give you the clearest answer. I will point you to this article in order to tell you that our GOD appreciates hard, honest work.

The bible starts out telling how God is a hard worker and how he worked six days strait to create a beautiful Earth. And it is much better for us to work rather than beg, steal, or lie to receive our money. For if God worked than it is good and not evil at all.

Contact me via personal message to receive the link to this wonderful article.

AudreyNicole:

You need to learn how to discern the leading of the Holy Spirit.

Pro 16:9 A man's heart deviseth his way: but the LORD directeth his steps

We do have free will, you are correct. That does not change the fact that God only has ONE will for you. There is no such thing as God's "Permissible" Will. It's not in the scripture, and there is no place if Jesus is really your Lord to do your own thing.

You also have to wash out any teaching that God is opposed to us having things we want. He is a good, and big God, and not opposed to having things as he gives us the desire of our heart.

1Co 3:13 Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is.

So, it's not a matter of doing as you wish. Everything you do will be tried. If it's not what the Lord has planed and called you to get involved in, then don't expect it to prosper and be blessed.

Psa 127:1 A Song of degrees for Solomon. Except the LORD build the house, they labour in vain that build it: except the LORD keep the city, the watchman waketh but in vain.

God always prepares us long before to do what he has called and ordained us to do. He will quicken our hearts, and give us energy and excitement to go forward to do that thing. What is constantly in your heart, is what God put there.

You need to follow the peace in your heart, this is one way the Lord leads us, and has saved me numerous times.

So, by what you described, then go for it.

If you want free teaching on being led by the Holy Spirit, and learning more about these things just leave me a PM.

Jesus is Lord.

Although we have free will we still need to try to follow Gods perfect will. If God has given you peace about it after you pray then I would say to go for it!