• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Choice

So if we’re saved by the saving grace of God, through faith Christ. When someone, accepts Christ or makes a decision for Christ, are they not having something to “do” with their salvation by deciding. I understand that they are not saving themselves, God is doing it, I’m questioning that being THEY are making the decision or “doing something “ they are doing something to save them selves. Does my question make sense?

Loyal
Romans says that a person believes in their heart and then confession is made unto their salvation.

I liken it to a Christmas present. A present is made available to me to accept or reject. I need to accept it in order for it to be mine. Whether that gift is laying somewhere or is being presented to me -- I have to physically pick it up -- accept it -- in order for it to be Mine. And I say thank you to the giver of the gift,.

And another aspect is my public acknowledgment of the decision that has already been made by me in my heart. Believer's baptism by immersion. That is NOT part Of salvation but it should be done when possible. to identify with a body of believers.

A person makes decisions tiny and big all the time.

Doing 'something' for our salvation would be saying that the cross of Christ / His shed blood isn't really sufficient To secure our eternal salvation.

Staff Member
Greetings @MRoe

For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
John 3:16

The Lord Jesus did all the work at Calvary. All sinners need to do is to come to Him believing.

Praise the Lord

Loyal
There are those with a more Armenian view here.

Heb 4:3; For we who have believed enter that rest, just as He has said, "AS I SWORE IN MY WRATH, THEY SHALL NOT ENTER MY REST," although His works were finished from the foundation of the world.

Even though Jesus's works are finished, ours are not.

God has given us the ability to do things for His kingdom, those who do not will answer.

Matt 25:14; "For it is just like a man about to go on a journey, who called his own slaves and entrusted his possessions to them.
Matt 25:15; "To one he gave five talents, to another, two, and to another, one, each according to his own ability; and he went on his journey.
Matt 25:16; "Immediately the one who had received the five talents went and traded with them, and gained five more talents.
Matt 25:17; "In the same manner the one who had received the two talents gained two more.
Matt 25:18; "But he who received the one talent went away, and dug a hole in the ground and hid his master's money.
Matt 25:19; "Now after a long time the master of those slaves *came and *settled accounts with them.
Matt 25:20; "The one who had received the five talents came up and brought five more talents, saying, 'Master, you entrusted five talents to me. See, I have gained five more talents.'
Matt 25:21; "His master said to him, 'Well done, good and faithful slave. You were faithful with a few things, I will put you in charge of many things; enter into the joy of your master.'
Matt 25:22; "Also the one who had received the two talents came up and said, 'Master, you entrusted two talents to me. See, I have gained two more talents.'
Matt 25:23; "His master said to him, 'Well done, good and faithful slave. You were faithful with a few things, I will put you in charge of many things; enter into the joy of your master.'
Matt 25:24; "And the one also who had received the one talent came up and said, 'Master, I knew you to be a hard man, reaping where you did not sow and gathering where you scattered no seed.
Matt 25:25; 'And I was afraid, and went away and hid your talent in the ground. See, you have what is yours.'
Matt 25:26; "But his master answered and said to him, 'You wicked, lazy slave, you knew that I reap where I did not sow and gather where I scattered no seed.
Matt 25:27; 'Then you ought to have put my money in the bank, and on my arrival I would have received my money back with interest.
Matt 25:28; 'Therefore take away the talent from him, and give it to the one who has the ten talents.'
Matt 25:29; "For to everyone who has, more shall be given, and he will have an abundance; but from the one who does not have, even what he does have shall be taken away.
Matt 25:30; "Throw out the worthless slave into the outer darkness; in that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

As far as "all you have to do is believe in Jesus"...

Jas 2:19; You believe that God is one. You do well; the demons also believe, and shudder.

even the demons believe.

Jesus said if you wish to enter into eternal life.... try to keep the commandments.

Matt 19:17; And He said to him, "Why are you asking Me about what is good? There is only One who is good; but if you wish to enter into life, keep the commandments."

Active
So if we’re saved by the saving grace of God, through faith Christ. When someone, accepts Christ or makes a decision for Christ, are they not having something to “do” with their salvation by deciding. I understand that they are not saving themselves, God is doing it, I’m questioning that being THEY are making the decision or “doing something “ they are doing something to save them selves. Does my question make sense?

Yes, your question makes perfect sense.

There is a world of difference between accepting Jesus and being saved.

Salvation is a plane leaving the airport for heaven. We have nothing to do with building or flying the plane. But, everything to do with getting to the airport.

Jesus knocks at the door Rev 3:20, we let Him. We let Him in by repenting of our sins Psalm 51:17, laying our lives down Rev 2:10-11 and carrying our cross Matt 16:24.

There was a divide in Hades before the cross. Those who repented of their sins were in a place called Abraham's bosom. A place also called 'paradise'. This truth of repentance remains true after the cross. Jesus does not barge in or cherry pick anyone. We repent and He draws near to us James 4:8, judges our hearts and minds Jer 17:9-11 and then reveals Jesus as Lord to us 1 Cor 12:3, Matt 16:16-17.

We must not mix the cart and the horse. We must not get the cart before the horse either. The devil wants us to confuse this. As when we do, people have thoughts of God ''cherry picking people / showing favouritism''. Christians cannot and must not get wrong this wrong. A Christian has one job. Properly represent God to the unsaved. God does not cherry pick Acts 10:34. God is not wicked Psalm 136:1.