• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Character

Loyal
When I was a child, I used to love to read comic books. Superman, Batman, Spiderman... it really didn't
matter all that much who it was. But I suppose I got older and comic books weren't that interesting anymore.

Now having super powers would be awesome. Flying, heat vision, super strength, shooting webs from my hands. I day-dreamed many an hour pondering the possibilities. But that wasn't the reason I liked super-heros. I liked them because of their character. Usually the villain of the story was trying to "corrupt" the hero.
Villains have super powers also. So why did I like the hero, but not the villain? Simple... character.

Superman and Batman could always be depended on to do "the right thing". You couldn't tempt them.
You couldn't sway them. You couldn't bribe them. Even when faced with certain death... they never gave in.

I haven't read a comic book in probably 30 years or more. But recently I saw a couple of "super-hero" movies.
My how times have changed. I also picked up a recent comic book while at a friends house, and glanced
through it. Now I realize all of this fiction, and I don't place too much stock in super-hero's these days.

It's a good thing. Super heros have fallen by the wayside. Over the last generation they've gotten selfish,
self-centered, and some are easily corruptible. (yet somehow they remain "heros").

Some of these fictional characters grew up with family issues. But they heros of today never overcame those issues. In fact some of them have issues of their own. The super heros of today will lie if need be.
They will take a bribe under certain circumstances. They will find a loop hole in the law almost everytime.

Some of the "super hero"s of today's society have their own perversions. Of course there are gay and lesbian ones now. There is even one who is willing to have sex with "pretty much anything, human or not".
Be careful what you let your kids read, and what movies you let them watch. I've noticed as we have let
the sexual preferences of these heros become more "known". We have also let their moral deficiencies also
become more known. (hmmm... what a coincidence).

While their super powers may not rub off on your children.... their character certainly will.
Now maybe your only "super power" is being a mom or a dad. Maybe it's just being a friend or a co-worker.
Maybe it's being a brother or a sister. But chances are... someone is looking up to you. Someone is
looking at your character even if you don't know it.

What kind of hero are you? What example are you setting?

I can't even read a comic book today or watch a super hero movie anymore. Oh the special effects
and computer animations are fun enough to watch. I don't even mind watching a good fight between
"good and evil". But it seems the lines between good and evil and getting more and more blurred,
I can't even tell the good guys from the bad guys anymore.

All character is gone.

Loyal
As I go back and re-read the previous post... I think maybe I am sending the wrong message here.
Character isn't only what you do when people are watching you....

Character is also what you do... when no one is watching you.

Rom 12:2; And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect.

2 Pet 1:5; Now for this very reason also, applying all diligence, in your faith supply moral excellence, and in your moral excellence, knowledge,
2 Pet 1:6; and in your knowledge, self-control, and in your self-control, perseverance, and in your perseverance, godliness,
2 Pet 1:7; and in your godliness, brotherly kindness, and in your brotherly kindness, love.
2 Pet 1:8; For if these qualities are yours and are increasing, they render you neither useless nor unfruitful in the true knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

1 Cor 15:33; Do not be deceived: "Bad company corrupts good morals."

1 Tim 6:11; But flee from these things, you man of God, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, perseverance and gentleness.
1 Tim 6:12; Fight the good fight of faith; take hold of the eternal life to which you were called, and you made the good confession in the presence of many witnesses.

When I was a child, I used to love to read comic books. Superman, Batman, Spiderman... it really didn't
matter all that much who it was. But I suppose I got older and comic books weren't that interesting anymore.

Now having super powers would be awesome. Flying, heat vision, super strength, shooting webs from my hands. I day-dreamed many an hour pondering the possibilities. But that wasn't the reason I liked super-heros. I liked them because of their character. Usually the villain of the story was trying to "corrupt" the hero.
Villains have super powers also. So why did I like the hero, but not the villain? Simple... character.

Superman and Batman could always be depended on to do "the right thing". You couldn't tempt them.
You couldn't sway them. You couldn't bribe them. Even when faced with certain death... they never gave in.

I haven't read a comic book in probably 30 yearsl.p. or more. But recently I saw a couple of "super-hero" movies.
My how times have changed. I also picked up a recent comic book while at a friends house, and glanced
through it. Now I realize all of this fiction, and I don't place too much stock in super-hero's these days.

It's a good thing. Super heros have fallen by the wayside. Over the last generation they've gotten selfish,
self-centered, and some are easily corruptible. (yet somehow they remain "heros").

Some of these fictional characters grew up with family issues. But they heros of today never overcame those issues. In fact some of them have issues of their own. The super heros of today will lie if need be.
They will take a bribe under certain circumstances. They will find a loop hole in the law almost everytime.

Some of the "super hero"s of today's society have their own perversions. Of course there are gay and lesbian ones now. There is even one who is willing to have sex with "pretty much anything, human or not".
Be careful what you let your kids read, and what movies you let them watch. I've noticed as we have let
the sexual preferences of these heros become more "known". We have also let their moral deficiencies also
become more known. (hmmm... what a coincidence).

While their super powers may not rub off on your children.... their character certainly will.
Now maybe your only "super power" is being a mom or a dad. Maybe it's just being a friend or a co-worker.
Maybe it's being a brother or a sister. But chances are... someone is looking up to you. Someone is
looking at your character even if you don't know it.

What kind of hero are you? What example are you setting?

I can't even read a comic book today or watch a super hero movie anymore. Oh the special effects
and computer animations are fun enough to watch. I don't even mind watching a good fight between
"good and evil". But it seems the lines between good and evil and getting more and more blurred,
I can't even tell the good guys from the bad guys anymore.

All character is gone.

why does anyone need a hero?

what's with the obsession in this society of having a person to idolize as a hero?

when it comes to the Kingdom of God, if you're not looking to the Lord Jesus then you're in error already. I do believe hero idol worship should be done and promoted somewhere else, correct?

Loyal

what's with the obsession in this society of having a person to idolize as a hero?

when it comes to the Kingdom of God, if you're not looking to the Lord Jesus then you're in error already. I do believe hero idol worship should be done and promoted somewhere else, correct?

I think you may be missing the point here.
If you have children or younger siblings... you're probably someone else's hero whether you want to be or not.

Loyal

his point of the post was to show us how our culture in general is decaying in moral ethics IMO but you do bring a good point up that I do believe is indirectly related to the post.

Active
As I go back and re-read the previous post... I think maybe I am sending the wrong message here.
Character isn't only what you do when people are watching you....
Character is also what you do... when no one is watching you.
Rom 12:2; And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect.
2 Pet 1:5; Now for this very reason also, applying all diligence, in your faith supply moral excellence, and in your moral excellence, knowledge,
2 Pet 1:6; and in your knowledge, self-control, and in your self-control, perseverance, and in your perseverance, godliness,
2 Pet 1:7; and in your godliness, brotherly kindness, and in your brotherly kindness, love.
2 Pet 1:8; For if these qualities are yours and are increasing, they render you neither useless nor unfruitful in the true knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.
1 Cor 15:33; Do not be deceived: "Bad company corrupts good morals."
1 Tim 6:11; But flee from these things, you man of God, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, perseverance and gentleness.
1 Tim 6:12; Fight the good fight of faith; take hold of the eternal life to which you were called, and you made the good confession in the presence of many witnesses.
Do you really think it is possible to comply with the verses you posted?

Loyal
Do you really think it is possible to comply with the verses you posted?

Of course... but none of them is "once and done".

Renewing... in continual tense.... not past tense.

Diligence is continual tense... not past tense.

Self-control, diligence.. take your pick... all of these verses are things we strive to do every day.
Some days we are more sucessful than others.

Active
In WW 2 Superman (1938) and Captain America (1941) was conceived. I do believe a strong argument can be raised for them being false gods. People were to put their trust in God. Kids put it in comic heroes covered in the American flag. So a superhero and the American flag possibly guilty of idolatry?

Anyway, your argument is valid. They were good role models. It would not seem out of place for them to attend a church meeting in the comic books. Today, the only accepted sermon in the comics and films would be at a funeral.

The only point I want to make on this subject is that our character is not judged by 'venial' matters. "This person is a good person because they offered me coffee / they gave me a sweet / they said I look good / they asked how my weekend was / they said I smell nice''. No, it is when a depth is required that Jesus shines through. ''I was going to get fired, but this person worked the weekend helping me'' or ''This person had every reason to be extremely upset with me, but they forgave me''.

So what are we to be mindful of? Watching our every action, or just being 'a human in need of a lot of refining', but able to shine properly for Jesus when real effort is required. A Christian is always able to grasp such occasions with the help of the Holy Spirit. It is being a Christian in real problem situations that draws people to Jesus. A build up of failing on 'venial' matters is also not good. It could build up into something damaging on a 'mortal' level. But the point is for us to not beat ourselves up for failing on venial matters. Especially in this day and age when the norm has gone so far south.

Active
Of course... but none of them is "once and done".
Renewing.(Rom 12:2).. in continual tense.... not past tense.
Were that the case, then the "be transformed" ahead of it would also be a "never done" situation.
As long as you think your renewal is an ongoing process, you will never arrive at that renewal.

Diligence is continual tense... not past tense.
Self-control, diligence.. take your pick... all of these verses are things we strive to do every day.
Some days we are more sucessful than others.
With your continual tense "gift" of not being expected to hold to the truth continually, it amazes me that you think you can hold to it at all.
Your doctrine denies the "gift" God gave us...the death of the flesh-old man at baptism into Christ's death. (Rom 6:3-7)
Your doctrine accommodates the not quite dead flesh. Making excuse for its occasional subjection to sin.
True repentance from sin IS a "one and done" occasion.

Active
So what are we to be mindful of? Watching our every action, or just being 'a human in need of a lot of refining', but able to shine properly for Jesus when real effort is required. A Christian is always able to grasp such occasions with the help of the Holy Spirit. It is being a Christian in real problem situations that draws people to Jesus. A build up of failing on 'venial' matters is also not good. It could build up into something damaging on a 'mortal' level. But the point is for us to not beat ourselves up for failing on venial matters. Especially in this day and age when the norm has gone so far south.
It is written..." He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.
Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God." (1 John 3:8-9)
Those NOT watching their every move are lost.
Thanks be to God though, the gifts of repentance from sin and baptism in Jesus' name for the remission of past sins is available to all who have yet to submit to God.
Rebirth, new heart/mind, new Spirit; together they furnish us with a tall tower of protection from temptation to sin.

Active
It is written..." He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.
Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God." (1 John 3:8-9)
Those NOT watching their every move are lost.
Thanks be to God though, the gifts of repentance from sin and baptism in Jesus' name for the remission of past sins is available to all who have yet to submit to God.
Rebirth, new heart/mind, new Spirit; together they furnish us with a tall tower of protection from temptation to sin.
Dirty diamond > polished lemon

Active
Were that the case, then the "be transformed" ahead of it would also be a "never done" situation.
As long as you think your renewal is an ongoing process, you will never arrive at that renewal.

1 Cor 10:12 Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall.

Active
1 Cor 10:12 Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall.
Amen, and thanks for the exhortation.
The next verse is important too..."There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it." (1 Cor 10:13)

Staff Member
Greetings,

The next verse is important too..."There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it." (1 Cor 10:13)

yes, and the key part there is that God is faithful.

Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; (for He is faithful that promised; ) Hebrews 10:23

Bless you ....><>

Active
You are moving on to another subject albeit be the next verse. First grasp 1 Cor 10:12 properly, then read verse 13. It as though you just want to accept verse 13. This has been my issue with your belief from day 1. It is a half truth.

Active
Do you have a scripture in mind?
Or is this just men's wisdom?
You talk as though you have not got a mind that can be used for rational thought or self judgement.

We are accountable for sin because we have working brains. These working brains can grasp that with a spouse for example, a rough diamond > polished lemon.

Now these working brains should also be able to tie God and Him calling us His bride, family, adopted sons and daughters to a same / similar expectation and relation as to what we have with our spouse, children and / or adopted children. Duh?

Did I really have to type this? Can you truly not see the lack of lateral thought to your belief?

Loyal
Can you truly not see the lack of lateral thought to your belief?

He truly cannot. He has been refuted several times. Scripture has been given that he refuses to acknowledge.
In order for a doctrine to be valid, it has to agree with all scripture... not just a few cherry picked verses.
There are several places where the Bible talks about Christians who sin. But he only recognizes the ones that
say they have to be pefect.

Active
You are moving on to another subject albeit be the next verse. First grasp 1 Cor 10:12 properly, then read verse 13. It as though you just want to accept verse 13. This has been my issue with your belief from day 1. It is a half truth.
I don't know why you would get that from a post that says..."Amen, and thanks for the exhortation.
The next verse is important too..."

Even when I agree with you, you still find fault.

Active
You talk as though you have not got a mind that can be used for rational thought or self judgement.

We are accountable for sin because we have working brains. These working brains can grasp that with a spouse for example, a rough diamond > polished lemon.

Now these working brains should also be able to tie God and Him calling us His bride, family, adopted sons and daughters to a same / similar expectation and relation as to what we have with our spouse, children and / or adopted children. Duh?

Did I really have to type this? Can you truly not see the lack of lateral thought to your belief?
It is now apparent that your use of ">" is in the math sense...ie..."greater than" or "better than".
How that applies to post #11 is an enigma.
Do you actually find value in those who only act like Christians on occasion, instead of BEING Christians all the time?