• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 11,000 members today

Register Log In

Can you make an argument as to why Christian leaders should or shouldn't engage in politics?

It seems to me that Jesus never engaged in politics nor did he instruct the apostles to do so. I've had other Christians tell me that it's fine for Christian leaders to engage in politics. I guess I'm of the view that Christian leaders, such as preachers and pastors should follow the example of Jesus and stick to spreading his teachings and check their politics at the door.

What are your thoughts?

Active
Anyone truly dead to the things of the world is dead to politics, as they are a thing of the unregenerate world always trying to "fix" something. God works all things after the counsel
of His own will. They truly believe they can overthrow his decisions, though they do not believe he is in control in the first place.
We are called to become Holy and Love one another. All I see in politics is hate, strife , and a struggle for power. It keeps the unregenerate busy. They toil their life away attempting to fix what
does not need to be fixed and all the while "through knowledge they knew not God."
I admit I watch but no voting and surely no trying to persuade those who do one way or the other as my Father sets up and tears down the powers that be. Romans 13

A sure sign of a wolf in sheeps clothing is a so called pastor or preacher trying to persuade "his" flock to vote this way or that and uses the Bible to do it. All I can say is not a place to be, as
they do not understand the role of a disciple of Christ.
If we want to become what Jesus is we must listen to/obey Him, as all the rest want to teach what they do not understand. It's a distraction.
Hebrews 5:9

Anyone truly dead to the things of the world is dead to politics, as they are a thing of the unregenerate world always trying to "fix" something. God works all things after the counsel
of His own will. They truly believe they can overthrow his decisions, though they do not believe he is in control in the first place.
We are called to become Holy and Love one another. All I see in politics is hate, strife , and a struggle for power. It keeps the unregenerate busy. They toil their life away attempting to fix what
does not need to be fixed and all the while "through knowledge they knew not God."
I admit I watch but no voting and surely no trying to persuade those who do one way or the other as my Father sets up and tears down the powers that be. Romans 13

A sure sign of a wolf in sheeps clothing is a so called pastor or preacher trying to persuade "his" flock to vote this way or that and uses the Bible to do it. All I can say is not a place to be, as
they do not understand the role of a disciple of Christ.
If we want to become what Jesus is we must listen to/obey Him, as all the rest want to teach what they do not understand. It's a distraction.
Hebrews 5:9
Thanks for your response. I believe that it's fine for Christians to be involved in their communities, even as a "politician". Communities NEED good civic leaders. I believe that Christian leaders, such as preachers and pastors, should stick to preaching the word of Jesus rather than their own word.

Active
Thanks for your response. I believe that it's fine for Christians to be involved in their communities, even as a "politician". Communities NEED good civic leaders. I believe that Christian leaders, such as preachers and pastors, should stick to preaching the word of Jesus rather than their own word.
That would seem to be just the opposite of your initial post.
Just so you know WE are all brothers of Jesus, and ALL his disciples. Just because one takes a title like a pastor, preacher etc... means nothing. We are equal in the Lord.
To separate out one who has not taken a title and allow them to be political suggests they are held to a lower standard than the ones who have assumed a title, that's incorrect.
This type of thinking., of levels of laity, is a component of the doctrine of the Nicoliatians which thing the Lord hates.

PS Anybody with $25 can get a pastoral license to do weddings and preach from the pulpit, but it doesn't make them a true Christian.

Loyal
I have often thought about this when I see preachers endorsing some politicians, I am not really sure, but the more I read the bible the more I see the need to stay away from the world politics is nasty buisness, why would a Godly man want to have anything to do with it is beyond me.

Loyal
Our allegiance is to the Lord Jesus Christ. Everything comes second to that.

We pray, 'may your will be done on earth as it is in heaven.' So I think it's legitimate and good to strive towards God's will in every sphere of life, politics included.

Active
@Sampson
I had a pastor that would use scripture mixed in with who to vote for though he wouldn't flat out say who to vote for. He also would make predictions on how politics would play out, for example how Biden would be found incompetent and replaced by Kamala.

I ended up not voting :) and not returning to that church. Not for that reason but for others, but it fits well into this discussion.

Active
The OT is full of politics . We are told from the beginning to have dominion. We never told to turn all onver to satan .

Active
The OT is full of politics . We are told from the beginning to have dominion. We (were) never told to turn all over to satan .
Actually, the opposite:

He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.​
(1 John 3:8 KJV)​

Why would any sane person let the government be run by sinners? That's a rejection of the authority of Jesus -

And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power/authority is given unto me in heaven and in earth.​
(Matthew 28:18 KJV)​

Rhema

Actually, the opposite:

He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.​
(1 John 3:8 KJV)​

Why would any sane person let the government be run by sinners? That's a rejection of the authority of Jesus -

And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power/authority is given unto me in heaven and in earth.​
(Matthew 28:18 KJV)​

Rhema
We're all "sinners".

Is it your belief that people who want to walk in Jesus' steps and teach his word should also engage in politics?

I believe Christians SHOULD engage in their communities and in "politics". I do NOT believe that people who choose to spread the word of Jesus in the role of a church leader should engage in politics. I believe doing so is a disservice to the greater cause of saving souls. Jesus did NOT engage in politics.