• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Can we as Christians yell and swear at God if we are angry with Him?

I'm not really sure where I stand myself on this question, but I'm curious if there is a right way about going about our anger at God? I know David in the Psalms told God exactly how he felt, but David never swore or cursed at God. Perhaps David was thinking it, but never chose to express it out loud.

I've always thought of it as disrespecting God if I yell or swear at Him, but perhaps I am wrong in this. I've heard some people say that we should get our anger and frustrations out even if it means yelling and swearing at God because God can take it.

What does the Bible say about how we express our anger and frustrations to God? Is it considered a sin if we yell and swear at God?

Staff Member
We are instructed in the Bible to keep our communications with fellow man gentle and without unnecessary anger.
How much more so is this the case with our Lord who deserves none of our anger
Take your frustration and anger to the Lord in prayer, don't take it out on Him in anger, ask the Lord to lead you in dealing with it. He will.

Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.
Ephesians 4:29

A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger.
Proverbs 15:1

Staff Member
Greetings,

David never swore or cursed at God. Perhaps David was thinking it, but never chose to express it out loud.

This is a mistaken presumption. Such talk opens the possibility in men's minds when tempted to do likewise, and we must be clear on this.

And the following is the sort of lame excuses that many use to make allowance for their lack of love towards spouses, family members and anyone else who upsets them.
I have dealt treacherously in this manner in the past and can think of no excuse whatsoever to justify myself. While I am not 'the' example, I also am aware that I am not alone in doing such base things, but that too many use a very sick excuse to attempt to cover what is simply disgusting. How can we love the LORD and have such an attitude to Him?
We get frustrated and angry if we forget our first love and deal only for ourselves.

I've always thought of it as disrespecting God if I yell or swear at Him, but perhaps I am wrong in this. I've heard some people say that we should get our anger and frustrations out even if it means yelling and swearing at God because God can take it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do Christians get angry at God?
if there is a right way about going about our anger at God?
Did Jesus get angry at His Father?

What does the Bible say about how we express our anger and frustrations to God?

In the Book of Job we find a few answers.
Satan suggested this of him: But put forth thine hand now, and touch all that he hath, and he will curse thee to thy face. Job1:11
and then Satan struck Job.
Bot sure about anyone else but if that all happened to me I would be fairly strongly tempted to get both angry and frustrated and yet notice Job's response and what Scripture says about his response;

Job 1:13 And there was a day when his sons and his daughters were eating and drinking wine in their eldest brother's house: 14 And there came a messenger unto Job, and said, The oxen were plowing, and the asses feeding beside them: 15 And the Sabeans fell upon them, and took them away; yea, they have slain the servants with the edge of the sword; and I only am escaped alone to tell thee. 16 While he was yet speaking, there came also another, and said, The fire of God is fallen from heaven, and hath burned up the sheep, and the servants, and consumed them; and I only am escaped alone to tell thee. 17 While he was yet speaking, there came also another, and said, The Chaldeans made out three bands, and fell upon the camels, and have carried them away, yea, and slain the servants with the edge of the sword; and I only am escaped alone to tell thee. 18 While he was yet speaking, there came also another, and said, Thy sons and thy daughters were eating and drinking wine in their eldest brother's house: 19 And, behold, there came a great wind from the wilderness, and smote the four corners of the house, and it fell upon the young men, and they are dead; and I only am escaped alone to tell thee. 20 Then Job arose, and rent his mantle, and shaved his head, and fell down upon the ground, and worshipped, 21 And said, Naked came I out of my mother's womb, and naked shall I return thither: the Lord gave, and the Lord hath taken away; blessed be the name of the Lord. 22 In all this Job sinned not, nor charged God foolishly.

Then again Satan said again;
4 And Satan answered the Lord, and said, Skin for skin, yea, all that a man hath will he give for his life. 5 But put forth thine hand now, and touch his bone and his flesh, and he will curse thee to thy face. Job 2:4-5
then;
7 So went Satan forth from the presence of the Lord, and smote Job with sore boils from the sole of his foot unto his crown. 8 And he took him a potsherd to scrape himself withal; and he sat down among the ashes. Job 2:7-8

and again we could offer a lame excuse for getting angry and frustrated(?)
but notice Job's wife says to him;
Then said his wife unto him, Dost thou still retain thine integrity? curse God, and die. Job 2:9
to which Job answered;
But he said unto her, Thou speakest as one of the foolish women speaketh. What? shall we receive good at the hand of God, and shall we not receive evil? In all this did not Job sin with his lips.

Is it considered a sin if we yell and swear at God?

Bless you ....><>

Staff Member
We are instructed in the Bible to keep our communications with fellow man gentle and without unnecessary anger.
How much more so is this the case with our Lord who deserves none of our anger
Take your frustration and anger to the Lord in prayer, don't take it out on Him in anger, ask the Lord to lead you in dealing with it. He will.

Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.
Ephesians 4:29

A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger.
Proverbs 15:1

Habakkuk 3:17 Although the fig tree shall not blossom, neither shall fruit be in the vines; the labour of the olive shall fail, and the fields shall yield no meat; the flock shall be cut off from the fold, and there shall be no herd in the stalls:
Yet I will rejoice in the LORD, I will joy in the God of My salvation.
The LORD God is my strength, and He will make my feet like hinds' feet, and He will make me to walk upon mine high places. To the chief singer on my stringed instruments.

Bless you ....><>

Administrator
Staff Member
What does the Bible say about how we express our anger and frustrations to God? Is it considered a sin if we yell and swear at God?

Man has no right, no excuse, no justification to do this. God is perfect. We are not.

One of you will say to me: “Then why does God still blame us? For who is able to resist his will?” But who are you, a human being, to talk back to God? “Shall what is formed say to the one who formed it, ‘Why did you make me like this?’ ” Does not the potter have the right to make out of the same lump of clay some pottery for special purposes and some for common use? - Romans‬ ‭9‬:‭19-21‬

Let all the earth fear the Lord; let all the people of the world revere him. - Psalm‬ ‭33‬:‭8‬

Active
Greetings in the Lord Jesus;
I remember one time I was having a really difficult day and regardless what I tried to do, nothing worked in my favor.
I was in tears by now and getting mad and started to vent, while kicking rocks.
I said, "yeah, here I am Lord. Your little toy soldier."
Whoa, what a mistake. I maybe took three steps and my heart was so heavy it brought me to my knees, sobbing on the feet of the Lord. Amen.
I lay in the dirt and cried for quite sometime and sobbing; asking forgiveness yet again.
So, I say to ALL; it is not a good idea to do such a thing.
All praise, glory and honor be to God. Amen

Loyal
I'm not really sure where I stand myself on this question, but I'm curious if there is a right way about going about our anger at God? I know David in the Psalms told God exactly how he felt, but David never swore or cursed at God. Perhaps David was thinking it, but never chose to express it out loud.

I want to remind you of this one thing.......God always has your best interest in His heart. Sometime we get angry when things dont work out the way we wanted. Sometimes it is because it seems nothing is working out for the best. However no matter the reason......
If there is anger in yout towards God.....it is ALWAYS going to be on our end. Another words it is because we missed it some place or made a bad choice or simply do not understand.......Don't blame God......Seek God with a willing heart. Find out the truth to why you are angry and NOT just why you think or feel you are angry with God...
Seek His peace and Love
Blessings
jim

Active

RJ

Perhaps David was thinking it, but never chose to express it out loud.
I would say that thinking it would be the same as saying it!
It certainly doesn't sound like any Christian I know, would be a sin, but would be forgivable if it is not a form of rejecting God and his gospel!

You should swear at Satan if anybody. Its much simpler if you understand god does not delay, wait around, or miss. If it seems like it should have been worse or could have been better, you're being toyed with by Satan. He's testing your faith and god already knows the outcome so be steadfast. But in regards to cursing and anger, the bible denounces cursing and anger is an endless void. Why enter or entertain it? A question in an online forum I know but I was trying to say that god has every reason to be angry at you, what reason could you have to be angry at him? There is none, he's perfect so anger and cursing toward god is a sin against him and should be reserved for Satan. God only wants what's best for you and that's regardless of whether you keep his commandments or not. He is always able and is never late so always know the bad things aren't him. He would just kill you f it was time so know Satan's hand when you see it, god is always with you.

Active

Should you lose your bearings and express great anger at God, you will only be brought around to repentance. So, why make the trip around the mountain harder for yourself. Rather be angry at the enemy of God, our enemy---Satan and sin itself, and give God glory and praise, whatever you find yourself in, circumstantially. Jesus alone is worthy!

Loyal
There is an anger, but it does not allow sin to be apart of it. I don't think you can say something to God that he has not already heard. What is important is the "intent" of the heart.

Eph 4:26 Be ye angry, and sin not: let not the sun go down upon your wrath:
Eph 4:27 Neither give place to the devil.

Active
Being irritated and upset without God ironically points toward us being good Christians.

We are properly aware of the fact that we live, move and have our being in Him :thumbsup:. As long as we are quick to repent we can be forgiven for the mistakes.

Has anyone here not cursed God is some way from frustration?

Active
Has anyone here not cursed God is some way from frustration?

I've been frustrated and said, "Come on, God!", but never once in all my 52 years of walking with God ever cursed Him or been angry with Him.

Loyal
Jesus taught his disciples to call God father. I think the father nature of God is a helpful starting point.
As a father myself I am used to my children getting angry and frustrated and venting it on me. Very often I am the source of their frustration. I'd rather the anger comes my way than they bottle it up, or let it out in destructive ways. This is because I love them.

Many of the psalms express deep disappointment with God.

I cannot see any point in trying to hide our emotions from God. Much healthier to be honest and open before him. More honouring too, in a way.

Of course I don't allow my children to get by temper tantrums whenever things don't go their way. There is a spiritual counterpart to the childish fit of rage.

Staff Member
Greetings,

The Lord took us a little deeper and told us of the nature of the intimacy of the relationship we have with Him and He with us.
This leads us to consider how we treat one another as His.

Any Scripture come to mind?

We can declare that we never have and never would cut loose and swear or curse God,
but what if we do so even to the least of His,

Bless you ....><>

Active
Question:

Does anyone have any comments on this quote from a man's book:

“You are really and truly and completely free. There is no kicker. There is no if, and, or but. You are free. You can do it right or wrong. You can obey or disobey. You can run from Christ or run to Christ. You can choose to become a faithful Christian or an unfaithful Christian. You can cry, cuss, and spit, or laugh, sing, and dance. You can read a novel or the Bible. You can watch television or pray. You're free...really free.”
Steve Brown, A Scandalous Freedom

What think ye?

I think this fits in quite well with the topic.

Blessings,

Travis

What does the Bible say about how we express our anger and frustrations to God? Is it considered a sin if we yell and swear at God?[/QUOTE]

I really am uncertain why people react as if a person may not even be saved OR how they themselves would never do it against God when they already ..ALL have!
All sin is against God .. so if we become angry with a person and yell that them its already LITERALLY against God!

I think people miss this entire point and also that God would rather it be directed at him, than a person that can be affected by our words and God cannot be . IT states plenty of times we sin against God when we sin, this means and is exact in its meaning that if we punch someone we have just punched God this can be taken quite literally . it is at him..

I am a bit tired of the "two good to do bad crowd" in the christian community ..those feeling like they would NEVER cuss at God and how could a good christian ..these types are bad for a church and for a good example for Christs name not that yelling or swearing at God would be but that at least is hidden the other is like a back biting judging basically the type of person that Jesus did not die for he died for the sinner not for the righteous as it is clearly stated ..that is quite a big hint about not judging another person..they turn judging eyes at people especially the new people and new Christians many are not stupid they can see and feel these types of people doing this as many are not to shy in letting their disapproval of many things be known ..they place themselves in a position of the prayer spoken of paraphrased said .."thank you god for not letting me be like so and so over there" meanwhile the person that is angry with God and has said things and is feeling like trash is WAY better off in gods eyes than the judger is and this is a biblical fact . I am not saying we should obviously swear or other at God I am saying there are worse acts and that people do not seem to grasp what acts are actually worse in the eyes of God..

Loyal

LOL You can yell and scream at God if you want, like a child throwing a tantrum...But what good would it do you? If you are not getting from God, the things you need, its not His fault. You don't blame God for what you are doing wrong.

LOL You can yell and scream at God if you want, like a child throwing a tantrum...But what good would it do you? If you are not getting from God, the things you need, its not His fault. You don't blame God for what you are doing wrong.
Exactly you still have to go through whatever it is he wants for whatever it is you did OR for whatever way he is working in you haha