• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Can the devil read our mind?

I know that the devil can plant suggestions in our mind. But can he read out thoughts?
I know we are to pray in spirit so that the devil can not hear our prayers. Can some one help me in this area.

Hi Ricky954...my understanding is No, he cannot. The devil is a fallen angel...he is not all knowing as God is. Sometimes I think we believe that he can read our minds because of the chain of events that occurs when we think something & then something corresponding to that thought occurs. Look at it this way, the devil has been around for a long time & while he cannot read minds...he can certainly read actions & our expressions. We end up telling him everything he needs to know by the way we carry ourselves, express ourselves, etc. Body language tells a lot about someone & you can "bet" that he is an expert at reading just that.

From my own observations, I do think that the devil can read our minds - our conscious thoughts - but he can't see how those thoughts and impressions are being laid down in our subconscious. Only God knows us better than we know ourselves! He knows our deepest needs, emotions, impulses and thoughts.

It is also relevant to keep in mind that there are "classes" of evil spirits. (see Ephesians 6:12) Some have more abilities and powers that others. So perhaps only some can read our conscious thoughts?

If we are children of God, submitted to God, than we really don't have to worry about whether the devil can read our mind or not. The Holy Spirit living inside us is infinitely more powerful than any fallen angel. Ephesians 6:10-18; James 4:7

Last edited:
I agree with Sapphire ... D has a lot of influence and is smart enought to read our actions and discover our weaknesses ... then exploit them. But not read our thoughts.

Administrator
Staff Member
The devil cannot read our mind as Sapphire said but our actions. It seems coincidental when we feel strong suddenly we fall to temptation right on, but that is because he sees us trying hard - but remember this, the tempter is defeated! :)

The Devil is not omniscient ... God is the only one all knowing.

The Devil however does know our weakness because we present it to him, and he feeds off of such things, as doubt, loss of faith, criticism, etc ... The list can go on and on.

The Devil is very powerful, and nothing or noone loves us more than Jesus Christ and God. The Devil doesn't love you, he hates you with a dying passion because he knows his future, and he knows that we still have a chance, and that we do not have to suffer his fate.

ricky954 said:
I know that the devil can plant suggestions in our mind. But can he read out thoughts?
I know we are to pray in spirit so that the devil can not hear our prayers. Can some one help me in this area.

I struggle with this. After reading the scriptures from your posts, Satan is not omniscient, but is very powerful, also knows the bible, but can the evil one read our thoughts when we drop our spiritual guard?

Luke 8:27-33 (28) "What do you want with me, Jesus, Son of the most High God? I beg you, don't torture me!" (30) Jesus asked him, "What is your name? "Legion," he replied, because many demons had gone into him. (31) And they begged Him repeatedly not to order them to go into the Abyss.

This is not only the flesh but is the mind and thoughts being read and controlled by the evil spirit and demons? Another example today;

I am at home, church, or out there and not focusing on Jesus, or being Christ like, and someone that I had an argument with yesterday pops in my head. I was corrected by this person and was so sure that I was right. Then my thought begins to festure in my mind. Angry thoughts or animosity toward that person builds up. This is definitely not our Father that causes this but is it the evil one reading, knowing my thoughts, and building up this anxiousness?

Lets be victorious here! In 1 Peter 5:8 "Be self controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour"

Stay in the Word. It nourishes the fruit of our spirit, helps us to remain obedient, focus on being Christ like, and during prayer we are in warfare and can ward off Satan in Jesus name. With that, Satan cannot read our thoughts.

Your brother in Christ Jesus.

Last edited:
Can The devil Read Our Mind ?

There would be times a long time ago that things would not be so good in my home. I was a new christain and had a deep experence with God. The d was fighting ever so hard, I was learing to use Gods word to come againest the d.Sometimes at night i would be in bed and i would be telling the d just where he could go .I thought i was taking authority over the d in Jesus name. Nothing semed to change. So one night i asked God(can the d read my mind?)The ans i got was(can the world?)i said no. God said,(OK then.) Your sister in Christ Gerlene.

In the book of matt Jesus told those who were sinners to repent not satan. The word of God states that God looks on the heart of man ,satan can't see your heart, but he can plant a thought in mind since he is the prince of the air. You must apply the word of God to all that comes before you in life , the word of God we must renew our mind and heart to what is Gods will, as Jesus said I come to do the will of my father.

Prasie The Lord Sister Gerlene, I like the answer u gave the bro who asked if the devil can read ur mind. I have found that God don't say to much he go's right 2 the point with few words and all the right answers.

Administrator
Staff Member
Amen. Great answer Gerlene and Tommy. Al, glad you asked for verses (I'm tired and won't look it up on their behalf but I'm sure they will show you). I am going to bed.

Remember, the evil one is the tempter/father of lies. He cannot read our minds but only tempt us to do what he wants us to do...sin. Praise Jesus Christ as He defeated the liar loooooong ago :)

ricky954 said:

Brother Al,

Referring to ricky954's thread;

I got your back on this one. I read your 6 posts and can feel that this topic weighs very much in your heart. I encourage you to keep seeking the Lord on this, Al, and I will pray with you that the Lord will guide your path.

Please go back and read my post to ricky954's thread. I also struggle with this but can only be direct and honest with my post, and where Jesus carries me, and continue to seek God's direction and protection.

We love you, Al!

Prasie The Lord Sister Gerlene, I like the answer u gave the bro who asked if the devil can read ur mind. I have found that God don't say to much he go's right 2 the point with few words and all the right answers.

Tommy, I think its encouraging that you rally behind sister Gerlene, praise God! However, whoever "the bro" is, it will help me if you could be a little more direct and what scripture you are referring to? This will help me understand the few words and all the right answers because if I am correct here, all the scriptures are God breathed and always Truth, unless you are referring to someone's opinion. I just need clarification, please.

Thank you, Tommy.

Last edited:
Choose your battleground

ricky954 said:
If you operate in the "flesh" you are open to the devil as that is his playground it is not that he "reads minds" as much as he understands fleshly desires an uses them to "draw us out" of spirit into the flesh realm. This is why the word instructs us to "compare spiritual things with spiritual things and carnal with carnal" by taking our failings into the spiritual realm and giving it to God to handle we find victory over the enemy.

There is no Scripture that says clearly that the devil can, or can't, read your minds. In fact there aren't even vague scriptures on this matter. So basically the only answer anyone can give is an opinion. The devil is definitely not all knowing - omniscient - but I still think it is possible that he can read our conscious thoughts...not that it matters..because...

Greater is He that is in us than he that is in the world. 1 John 4:4

Hi Ricky, I believe the Devil can READ our mind. Jesus Christ has a devil amongst his 12 diciples.

Joh 6:70 Jesus answered them, "Did I not choose you, the Twelve? And yet one of you is a devil."
Joh 13:2 During supper, when the devil had already put it into the heart of Judas Iscariot, Simon's son, to betray him,

Act 13:10 and said, "You son of the devil, you enemy of all righteousness, full of all deceit and villainy, will you not stop making crooked the straight paths of the Lord?

1Ti 3:7 Moreover, he must be well thought of by outsiders, so that he may not fall into disgrace, into a snare of the devil.

The only way out is the Bible. 2 Timothy 3:15-17

2Ti 3:15 and how from childhood you have been acquainted with the sacred writings, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus.

2Ti 3:16 All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness,

2Ti 3:17 that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work.

Praise the Lord. Amen!

Short answer is no. But the devil has a lot of experience studying human behavior and can therefore understand what might influence our thoughts. Only God knows our heart/mind the Bible says. Not the devil. Not even ourselves many times! He can only do what God allows him to do (see the book of Job). If he knew Job's thoughts, he wouldn't have bothered trying all the torture just to find out in the end he was wrong. Job didn't serve God for the riches or benefits. Also if he could read minds, he wouldn't have bothered tempting Jesus cause he would have known HE would say no! Let's not give the devil more credit than he's due. He is a powerful foe, but God is FAR more powerful and the only ONE that has omniscience (all knowing) and knows our thoughts, even knows how many hairs are on our head....that number changes everyday! :)

Al said:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
IF satan could read YOUR consious thoughts..you'd be in big trouble!
You yourself said; "The devil is definitely not all knowing-omniscient ~
You just contradicted your own thoughts by saying ;"but I still think it is possible that he can read our conscious thoughts).
What's the word conscious mean: ~CONSCIOUS~: Having an awareness of one's environment and one's own existence, sensations, and thoughts.
Well, you just stated satan can read your thoughts. And yet you stated he isnt omniscient..Let's see what OMNISCIENT means..humm....
OMNISCIENT: 1. One having total knowledge. ~ Well thats two contradictions you posted here.
I'd like to ask you, Do you know what you think you know..or are you just throwing glitter in the air?
Do you believe satan can read your thoughts or do you think he isnt omniscient..or what?
I guess you should have just given your OPINION on the topic, and not try to confuse yourself more than you were before..
GBU
al

As I said in an earlier post, I think it is possible that higher levels of evil spirits may be able to "read" our conscious thoughts, but only God can fully understand how those thoughts are laid down in our subconscious and how they affect us and motivate us.

Being omniscient means knowing EVERYTHING that there is to know about EVERYTHING which is impossible for the devil because, for one thing, he is not omnipresent, meaning he is limited in his location...so he can't be everywhere at once...so he can't know what's going on in another place. Also he is a created being. He is on a totally different level to the Father, Son or Holy Spirit who are infinite, all-powerful, all-present, all-knowing, etc.

Only God is omnipresent and omniscient, only God knows us better than we know ourselves.

Knowing our conscious thoughts doesn't make us omniscient, so how can you argue that it makes the devil omniscient.

Anyway, as I've said all along...it really doesn't matter one way or the other because the Holy Spirit living in us is much greater than any evil spirit, whether it can read your mind or not.

Submit yourselves to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you! James 4:7

Lastly, I was very clear in stating it was only an opinion, not a belief, because the Bible is silent on this matter.

Last edited:
evangeline said:
As I said in an earlier post, I think it is possible that higher levels of evil spirits may be able to "read" our conscious thoughts, but only God can fully understand how those thoughts are laid down in our subconscious and how they affect us and motivate us.

Being omniscient means knowing EVERYTHING that there is to know about EVERYTHING which is impossible for the devil because, for one thing, he is not omnipresent, meaning he is limited in his location...so he can't be everywhere at once...so he can't know what's going on in another place. Also he is a created being. He is on a totally different level to the Father, Son or Holy Spirit who are infinite, all-powerful, all-present, all-knowing, etc.

Only God is omnipresent and omniscient, only God knows us better than we know ourselves.

Knowing our conscious thoughts doesn't make us omniscient, so how can you argue that it makes the devil omniscient.

Anyway, as I've said all along...it really doesn't matter one way or the other because the Holy Spirit living in us is much greater than any evil spirit, whether it can read your mind or not.

Submit yourselves to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you! James 4:7

Lastly, I was very clear in stating it was only an opinion, not a belief, because the Bible is silent on this matter.

Evangeline,

Thank you. As far as your opinion, you need not defend it. You kept an open heart and it is God centered. Press on!