• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

can rich go to the heaven?

we know it is difficult for rich to go to the heaven. so does that mean we need to keep away from being rich?
Bill Gates donated $28 billion of his wealth. I think it is good for him. is rich guilty?:confused:

It is difficult but not impossable for rich to go to heaven. The love of money is evil but some who have money use it as a opertunity to be a blessing to others. So what one does with their money is more important then how much money one earns.

1 John 3:
17 But whoever has this world's goods, and sees his brother in need, and shuts up his heart from him, how does the love of God abide in him? 18 My little children, let us not love in word or in tongue, but in deed and in truth. 19 And by this we know that we are of the truth, and shall assure our hearts before Him.

God sent a warning to the rich who withold their riches through greed. Who do evil to obtain there riches.

James 5:
1 Come now, you rich, weep and howl for your miseries that are coming upon you! 2 Your riches are corrupted, and your garments are moth-eaten. 3 Your gold and silver are corroded, and their corrosion will be a witness against you and will eat your flesh like fire. You have heaped up treasure in the last days. 4 Indeed the wages of the laborers who mowed your fields, which you kept back by fraud, cry out; and the cries of the reapers have reached the ears of the Lord of Sabaoth. 5 You have lived on the earth in pleasure and luxury; you have fattened your hearts as in a day of slaughter. 6 You have condemned, you have murdered the just; he does not resist you.

All Praise The Ancient of Days

Bill Gates may have donated billions.. but he also buit a house worth over 50 million dollars and even complained to congress his propety taxes were unfair because nobody else could afford to build a house as expensive as his..

The rich donate alot of money also for tax right-offs... so dont think he is doing just out of the kindness of his heart.. He still has 54 billion dollars..

Remember when the rich people were casting in great somes of money in the coffers in the temple and a power woman cast her last 2 cents in.. Who did Jesus say gave the most.. The old woman she gave out of need and not out of
excess.. There is a thought..

I would say it would be allmost impossible to rich and go to heaven.. You cant serve to masters... remember?

kevin

It is very hard for the rich to become chidren of God because generally their trust and security is in their wealth and not in God. It is not wrong to be rich though - God has blessed many Godly people, including Jacob and Abraham, with wealth. However being generous or good does not get us into God's Kingdom. There is only One Way - Jesus Christ - and complete trust and faith in Him.

Last edited:
jesusisthegod said:
we know it is difficult for rich to go to the heaven. so does that mean we need to keep away from being rich?
Bill Gates donated $28 billion of his wealth. I think it is good for him. is rich guilty?:confused:

Please define "rich"..... some people in other countries might think the poor in the U.S. are "rich". What is your criteria for being "rich"

Why does anyone have to define what is rich? Let the Spirit convict.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

Yes The Lord God had blessed and made rich many of the old testament saints..
but I believe with Jesus and our new convenant Jesus set standards on money and wealth...

There are too many admonishments in the New Testament concerning money and materalism that we cannot ignore..

Col 3:1-2 If ye be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God..

Mattthew 6:19-21,, Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where theives break though and steal.. but lay for yourselves treasure in heaven where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt. and where thieves do not breakthrough nor steal. for where your treasure is, there will be your heart..

Thats the danger of money and goods.. There is nothing wrong with having a nice house or car or clothes.. but your attitude towards these things are.. Are you overly protective of them ? does aquiring them comsume your thoughts deeds and actions..? is keeping up with jones important to you?

There is a awsome saying in Proverbs about give just enough that I need and explains why

Proverbs 30:7-9

Two things that I required of thee: deny me them not before I die. Remove far from me vanity and lies. give me neither proverty nor riches.. feed me with food convenient for me..
lest I be full and deny thee and say Who is the Lord? or lest I be poor and steal amd take the name of my God in vain.

That a pretty powerfull statement..

Now the lost can be rich all they want.. but Christians well that is another matter.. but honestly you dont own your money., or even your life..

You were bought for a price.( I Cor 6:20). All that you own now belongs to the Lord. even your paycheck.. and you will be held accountable for every penny you spend and make for what you bought and why.

We are comanded to be good stewards.., Think of yourself as a personal financial accountant to God concerning your money in this life.. and one day he will call you to account for all that money right down to the last penny..

will you be able to look him right in the eye and say I have done my best Lord,, as Paul said.. be not ashamed..

Just alot of things to think about on how you spend your money, what you aquire with it.. what you do with it, and all the why's that go along with it.

In love

Kevin

Adstar said:
Why does anyone have to define what is rich? Let the Spirit convict.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

I would like to know who you view as "rich" to get an idea of who you feel will have difficulty getting into heaven because of their wealth.

"Let the Spirit Convict" is not an answer .... it avoids the question.

Being rich or poor is all relative. Some people in other 3rd countries would consider themselves "rich" if they had the income the U.S. has defined as poverty level.

Jesus parable about the man who stores up his goods so he can retire then dies. Is an illustration of where priorities should lie. The person whose focus is on acheiving material wealth has priorities in the wrong place. On the other hand, just because a person is poor doesn't mean priorities are in the right place ... poor people whose only goal in life is survival and are so consumed by their poverty also are not focused on the right thing.

getting to heaven has nothing to do with wealth or poverty. it has to do with where your focus is ... "seek first God's kingdom..." whether rich or poor if that is your focus then you are on the right path. Both have a responsiblity to be good stewards of what they have.

Administrator
Staff Member
The way I look at it is this: you love money, you hate GOD. If you give for the cause of others and help them out you are not loving money, so long as what you give is a genuine sincere sacrifice.

If a man with a million gives $100, thats pretty much pitiful and that man loves money. If a man with $1,000 gives $100 - thats tithing according to Scripture.

So Bill Gates being worth about, what $100 billion or so now? He gives $25 or somewhere around that, tax right off, so what? Have you heard Bill say "thank you Lord Jesus Christ" for his wealth? I haven't. But, I did see my XP crash a million times :) lol

Chad said:
The way I look at it is this: you love money, you hate GOD. If you give for the cause of others and help them out you are not loving money, so long as what you give is a genuine sincere sacrifice.

If a man with a million gives $100, thats pretty much pitiful and that man loves money. If a man with $1,000 gives $100 - thats tithing according to Scripture.

So Bill Gates being worth about, what $100 billion or so now? He gives $25 or somewhere around that, tax right off, so what? Have you heard Bill say "thank you Lord Jesus Christ" for his wealth? I haven't. But, I did see my XP crash a million times :) lol

We can'T speak for Bill Gates .... but his wealth has nothing to do with his future in heaven ... it's about his relationship to God and Christ. I have heard that he contributes millions to philanthropic and charitable organizations. Probaby more than I would make in a life time. But that doesn't get him into heaven either.... even if he gave to the church .... that wouldn't get him into heaven .... it's not about money, it's about your faith and priorities.