• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Can a "foolish person" in his folly be born again?

Can a foolish person be saved even in their folly?
Also is it possible for a Christian to have foolish tendencies?

Active
Can a foolish person be saved even in their folly?
Also is it possible for a Christian to have foolish tendencies?

Hi Frank,

I think we Christians take ourselves a bit too seriously and sometimes we miss out on so much because of it. I think that God gave us all a sense of humour and it's lovely when we look back at some of the daft things that we have done and have a snigger to ourselves. I'm pretty sure that God has a wry smile to Himself at some of the daft scrapes that He has to rescue us from.

On the other side of the coin, I think He has a lot less time and patience with those who think they are wise and clever. Our problem is that we think we really smart but but the reality is not very flattering-

Isaiah 5:21 Woe to those who are wise in their own eyes, And prudent in their own sight!

1 Corinthians 1:19 For it is written: “I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, And bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent.”

And 1 Corinthians 3:18-19 Let no one deceive himself. If anyone among you seems to be wise in this age, let him become a fool that he may become wise. For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God. For it is written, “He catches the wise in their own craftiness”;

Foolishness is good, especially if it increases our dependence upon our father for wisdom. I think it was Mark Twain that wrote, 'When I was twelve I realised my Dad knew absolutely nothing. When I'd reached twenty one I was impressed at how much he'd learnt'.

Hi Frank,

I think we Christians take ourselves a bit too seriously and sometimes we miss out on so much because of it. I think that God gave us all a sense of humour and it's lovely when we look back at some of the daft things that we have done and have a snigger to ourselves. I'm pretty sure that God has a wry smile to Himself at some of the daft scrapes that He has to rescue us from.

On the other side of the coin, I think He has a lot less time and patience with those who think they are wise and clever. Our problem is that we think we really smart but but the reality is not very flattering-

Isaiah 5:21 Woe to those who are wise in their own eyes, And prudent in their own sight!

1 Corinthians 1:19 For it is written: “I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, And bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent.”

And 1 Corinthians 3:18-19 Let no one deceive himself. If anyone among you seems to be wise in this age, let him become a fool that he may become wise. For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God. For it is written, “He catches the wise in their own craftiness”;

Foolishness is good, especially if it increases our dependence upon our father for wisdom. I think it was Mark Twain that wrote, 'When I was twelve I realised my Dad knew absolutely nothing. When I'd reached twenty one I was impressed at how much he'd learnt'.
I think its evil to think worldly like that. But any biblical evidence for your claim?

Active
I think its evil to think worldly like that. But any biblical evidence for your claim?

Hi Frank, good evening to you. I didn't really think that my post was that controversial and I'm not sure what bits you found evil or worldly? I made 3 bible references. I'm sorry if you took exception or found my post offensive.

Mark twain saying that about his dad is controversial I think...
Hi Frank, good evening to you. I didn't really think that my post was that controversial and I'm not sure what bits you found evil or worldly? I made 3 bible references. I'm sorry if you took exception or found my post offensive.

Active
Mark twain saying that about his dad is controversial I think...

Ooops sorry Frank, I think you've got the wrong end of the stick there.

The point I was trying to make is that like many adolescents, they think they know everything and their parents nothing, that is until they hit a crisis and could really do with some wisdom and they're forced to refer to the dreaded parents for advice.

Sometimes that's how we are we are with God. We think we know everything and we blunder in where angels fear to tread, only to realise that our wisdom is nowhere near as good as God's foolishness 1 Corinthians 1:25. You asked for Biblical support, look at the queen of the South referred to by Jesus -
The queen of the South will rise up in the judgment with the men of this generation and condemn them, for she came from the ends of the earth to hear the wisdom of Solomon; and indeed a greater than Solomon is here. Luke 11:31 NKJV
Bearing in mind that despite his amazing wisdom, Solomon probably never made it to Heaven -
For it was so, when Solomon was old, that his wives turned his heart after other gods; and his heart was not loyal to the Lord his God, as was the heart of his father David. I Kings 11:4 NKJV
Whereas his biggest fan, the queen of the South did.

IMO God sneers at our so called wisdom but loves it when we seek wisdom of Him.

To answer your original post, I think you don't have to be foolish to be a Christian, but it helps :) . But seriously, we mustn't ever rely upon our wisdom to make any big decisions in our life, we need to always refer it to God and ask for His wisdom.