• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

CAN A CHRISTIAN BELIEVE GOD IN VAIN?

Active
Is it possible for a Christian to believe God in vain after becoming saved from sin?

2Co 6:1 We then, as workers together with him, beseech you also that you receive not the grace of God in vain.

1Co 15:1 Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also you have received, and wherein you stand;

1Co 15:2 By which also you are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless you have believed in vain.

Eph 5:6 Let no man deceive you with vain words: for because of these things comes the wrath of God upon the children of disobedience.

Col 2:8 Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.

Loyal
Is it possible for a Christian to believe God in vain after becoming saved from sin?

2Co 6:1 We then, as workers together with him, beseech you also that you receive not the grace of God in vain.

1Co 15:1 Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also you have received, and wherein you stand;

1Co 15:2 By which also you are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless you have believed in vain.

Eph 5:6 Let no man deceive you with vain words: for because of these things comes the wrath of God upon the children of disobedience.

Col 2:8 Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.
In my opinion....No...A Christian either believes or he does not. Your 2 Cor 6:1 verse demonstrates how one can "Believe in vain".
2 Corinthians 6:1 (CJB)
6 As God’s fellow-workers we also urge you not to receive his grace and then do nothing with it.
If you believe what God says about himself, and what He says about you, you will act on it.

Active
My answer is "NO" to the question: "Is it possible for a Christian to believe God in vain after becoming saved from "sin?" However, a person can believe God in vain through their disobedience to His word and be rejected at the day of judgment (Matthew 7:21-23).

A person can never sin in Christ, so they cannot go back to being a sinner. This is because of "grace." God has bought a believer with a price and they are no longer their own (1Corinthians 6:19,20).
(1Corithians 15:1,2)

If a person "receives" the word of God they are saved.

Joh 1:12 But as many as "received him," to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:

Whoever recieves Christ, through grace, has the power and ability to become overcomers in Christ through obedience; but all will not obey (Matthew 13:19-22). These have recieved the word in vain.

1Ti 4:1 Now the Spirit speaks expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;

Heb 3:12 Take heed, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief, in departing from the living God.

Rev 21:7 He that overcomes shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son.

The key word is "overcome" which is a believer's responsiblity.

Mar 13:13 And you shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.

Though Jesus is talking to Israel, it applies the church

Col 1:23 If ye continue in the faith grounded and settled, and be not moved away from the hope of the gospel, which ye have heard, and which was preached to every creature which is under heaven; whereof I Paul am made a minister;

Active
I would like to clarify my anwer of "no;" not trying to confuse anyone.
A Christian that does not know something about God, cannot believe God in vain.

Loyal
My answer is "NO" to the question: "Is it possible for a Christian to believe God in vain after becoming saved from "sin?" However, a person can believe God in vain through their disobedience to His word and be rejected at the day of judgment (Matthew 7:21-23).

A person can never sin in Christ, so they cannot go back to being a sinner. This is because of "grace." God has bought a believer with a price and they are no longer their own (1Corinthians 6:19,20).
(1Corithians 15:1,2)

If a person "receives" the word of God they are saved.

Joh 1:12 But as many as "received him," to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:

Whoever recieves Christ, through grace, has the power and ability to become overcomers in Christ through obedience; but all will not obey (Matthew 13:19-22). These have recieved the word in vain.

1Ti 4:1 Now the Spirit speaks expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;

Heb 3:12 Take heed, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief, in departing from the living God.

Rev 21:7 He that overcomes shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son.

The key word is "overcome" which is a believer's responsiblity.

Mar 13:13 And you shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.

Though Jesus is talking to Israel, it applies the church

Col 1:23 If ye continue in the faith grounded and settled, and be not moved away from the hope of the gospel, which ye have heard, and which was preached to every creature which is under heaven; whereof I Paul am made a minister;
How do you define 'grace'?

Active
Bendito,
I always define a term by the English or Greek definitions:

Greek definiton:
G5485 (grace)
khar'-ece
From G5463; graciousness (as gratifying), of manner or act (abstract or concrete; literal, figurative or spiritual; especially the divine influence upon the heart, and its reflection in the life; including gratitude): - acceptable, benefit, favour, gift, grace (-ious), joy liberality, pleasure, thank (-s, -worthy).

It is also "unmerited favor" that we cannot work for.

Abraham could not work for non-imputation of sin, but he had to work for the promise of a son where eternal life came through.