• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 11,000 members today

Register Log In

But, do you know Him?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Active
A truth was made plain to me in my daily Bible readings this morning. In (1 Sam. 2:12) we are told that Eli, who was the priest, (1:9), had two sons who were also priests but were worthless fellows and did not know the Lord. The Lord was angry with both Eli, and his sons and would eventually judge them. (2:22-36)

During all this the child Samuel had been given to the Lord, presented by his mother for service to God. (1:27-28) And in contrast to Eli, and his worthless sons, Samuel, even as a child, ministered to the LORD. (2:18) (3:1) And he grew before the LORD. (2:21)

Then came the time that the LORD called Samuel into the office of a prophet and priest. Was Samuel a child of God at this time? Of course, as we have already read. Yet when the LORD called Samuel, which is found in (1 Sam. 3:1-21), we are given an interesting statement. (1 Sam. 3:7) "Now Samuel did not yet know the LORD, neither was the word of the LORD yet revealed unto him."

Samuel was already a child of God yet did not know God. We often use the phrase 'knowing the Lord' in reference to our salvation, but here 'knowing the Lord' goes beyond just our being saved. It speaks of really knowing God. Know Him. Having personal acquaintance with Him. Samuel here did not yet know the LORD, but he would.

And Paul repeats this same idea of our salvation being accomplished, we now have the ability to know God, which is to know the Person of Jesus Christ. (Philippians 3:9-10) Not just know about Him, but to know Him. Not just know what He does, but know why He did it. Or as David said, Israel knew what God did, but Moses knew the ways of God. (Ps. 103:7)

Paul really wanted to know Jesus Christ. (Phillipians 3:10). "That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection" But he also notes that such personal acquaintance is not without cost. (3:10) "and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death." I think there is much to consider here.

Quantrill

Paul really wanted to know Jesus Christ. (Phillipians 3:10). "That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection" But he also notes that such personal acquaintance is not without cost. (3:10) "and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death." I think there is much to consider here.
In a sense it is rather odd for Apostle Paul to say he wants to know Jesus. He lived in his time and place, yet never ever came across Jesus of Nazareth whose miraculous healing and demonic deliverance sent waves of awe and wonderment across the land. Paul knew him not in the flesh. And so longed to know about him. We must remember that Paul's letters preceded the gospels. He did not know about the Sermon on the Mount one of the greatest expositions in history. He knew nothing of our Lords's earthy ministry. Walking on water, turning water into wine, feeding crowds with five loaves and three fish etc. All he had was "revelation". Like us today. And even so he wrote the bulk of the NT.

Active
In a sense it is rather odd for Apostle Paul to say he wants to know Jesus. He lived in his time and place, yet never ever came across Jesus of Nazareth whose miraculous healing and demonic deliverance sent waves of awe and wonderment across the land. Paul knew him not in the flesh. And so longed to know about him. We must remember that Paul's letters preceded the gospels. He did not know about the Sermon on the Mount one of the greatest expositions in history. He knew nothing of our Lords's earthy ministry. Walking on water, turning water into wine, feeding crowds with five loaves and three fish etc. All he had was "revelation". Like us today. And even so he wrote the bulk of the NT.

Really? "Like us today"?

Were you caught up in the third heavens seeing things not lawful for you to describe? (2 Cor. 12: 2-4)

Did you receive direct revelation from the risen Jesus Christ? (Gal. 1:11-12)

Paul did not need to know about the Sermon on the Mount.

Quantrill

Really? "Like us today"?

Were you caught up in the third heavens seeing things not lawful for you to describe? (2 Cor. 12: 2-4)

Did you receive direct revelation from the risen Jesus Christ? (Gal. 1:11-12)

Paul did not need to know about the Sermon on the Mount.

Quantrill
Yep - Many today have been to heaven. And come back. Although in reality like the Apostle they probably only had a vision of heaven. They never really went there. It's impossible. Paul did need to know about the earthly ministry of Jesus. That is the reason he clashed with Peter and John he knew NOTHING about Jesus. Those who knew Jesus did not take kindly to him.
When Peter came to Antioch, I opposed him to his face, because he was clearly in the wrong. Before certain men came from James, he used to eat with the Gentiles. But when they arrived, he began to draw back and separate himself from the Gentiles because he was afraid of those who belonged to the circumcision group.

Active
Yep - Many today have been to heaven. And come back. Although in reality like the Apostle they probably only had a vision of heaven. They never really went there. It's impossible. Paul did need to know about the earthly ministry of Jesus. That is the reason he clashed with Peter and John he knew NOTHING about Jesus. Those who knew Jesus did not take kindly to him.
When Peter came to Antioch, I opposed him to his face, because he was clearly in the wrong. Before certain men came from James, he used to eat with the Gentiles. But when they arrived, he began to draw back and separate himself from the Gentiles because he was afraid of those who belonged to the circumcision group.
I did not intend on this being a debate issue which is why I put it in the devotional category. But if you want to argue about Paul's and his revelation, and his gospel, as opposed to the Gospels, then I will start another thread in the Bible discussion area. One last point here, the verses you are using here, do not support your position. (Gal. 2:11-14)

Quantrill

I did not intend on this being a debate issue which is why I put it in the devotional category. But if you want to argue about Paul's and his revelation, and his gospel, as opposed to the Gospels, then I will start another thread in the Bible discussion area. One last point here, the verses you are using here, do not support your position. (Gal. 2:11-14)

Quantrill
Okay. There is another verse. Let me find it first.