• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Breaking Down Luke 22:36

Luke 22:36 - He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one.

At first glance of Luke 22:36, it is easy to assume that Jesus is telling us to equip ourselves with different things such as money and a sword, before going out to preach the gospel. However, in this scripture, Jesus is referring to items such as a bag, money belt/purse, sword, and cloak, as spiritual items. Jesus did not condone physical violence of any kind and so there is a deeper meaning behind his instructions.

Let’s take a closer look at:

Luke 10:1, 4-5 & 7 - After this, the Lord appointed seventy-two others and sent them two by two ahead of him to every town and place where he was about to go...4 Do not take a purse or bag or sandals; and do not greet anyone on the road. 5 “When you enter a house, first say, ‘Peace to this house.’...7 Stay there, eating and drinking whatever they give you, for the worker deserves his wages. Do not move around from house to house.

Jesus is stating that the disciples will be provided for through the preaching of the gospel and they will receive these wages for their work which is preaching the gospel. If Jesus was speaking literally, then he seems to be contradicting himself in Luke 12:22-33, where he said that God would provide for them. However, this is not the case. Paul states, after Jesus’ death and resurrection:

1 Corinthians 9:3-12 & 18 - 3 This is my defense to those who sit in judgment on me. 4 Don’t we have the right to food and drink? 5 Don’t we have the right to take a believing wife along with us, as do the other apostles and the Lord’s brothers and Cephas? 6 Or is it only I and Barnabas who lack the right to not work for a living?

Paul is stating that preachers of the gospel have the right not to work for a living as the world does, since they are working through the preaching of the gospel.

continued...1 Corinthians 9:7

2 Corinthians 8:1-7

The Philippian church, which was another Macedonian church also sent financial aid to Paul.

Acts 16:12 - From there we traveled to Philippi, a Roman colony and the leading city of that district of Macedonia. And we stayed there several days.

Philippians 4:14-18

As we can see, Paul was provided for through other churches which is why he stated:

2 Corinthians 11:7-9 - Was it a sin for me to lower myself in order to elevate you by preaching the gospel of God to you free of charge? 8 I robbed other churches by receiving support from them so as to serve you. 9 And when I was with you and needed something, I was not a burden to anyone, for the brothers who came from Macedonia supplied what I needed. I have kept myself from being a burden to you in any way, and will continue to do so.

So now we understand why Paul stated:

1 Corinthians 9:12 - If others have this right of support from you, shouldn’t we have it all the more?

But we did not use this right. On the contrary, we put up with anything rather than hinder the gospel of Christ.

In order to preach the gospel free of charge to the Corinthians, Paul used the aid he received from other churches. This does not mean that Paul did not receive wages for his work in the preaching of the gospel.

continued...1 Corinthians 9:13-14 - Don’t you know that those who serve in the temple get their food from the temple, and that those who serve at the altar share in what is offered on the altar? 14 In the same way, the Lord has commanded that those who preach the gospel should receive their living from the gospel.

Paul is clearly stating that preachers of the gospel should receive their living from the gospel. Paul also speaks of this in 1 Timothy 5:17-18.

And so in no way has this concept been nullified which Jesus stated in Luke 10:7.

My point is that Jesus is speaking about spiritual items in Luke 22:35-36. He is not saying that God will not provide and look after you, so you had better look after yourself, which it seemed like he was stating.

Let’s examine the evidence of the meaning behind Luke 22:35-36. Jesus is speaking of spiritual items in this scripture. A spiritual bag:

Job 14:17 - my transgression would be sealed up in a bag, and you would cover over my iniquity.

We can see confirmation of this in:

Luke 22:37 - For I tell you that this Scripture must be fulfilled in me: ‘And he was numbered with the transgressors.’ For what is written about me has its fulfillment.”

This means that people will call both Jesus and his followers, transgressors due to not agreeing with his interpretation of the word of God, and they will need God's protection regarding people's allegations of these transgressions.

Isaiah 51:7-8 - Listen to Me, you who know righteousness, you people in whose heart is My law: Do not fear the reproach of men, Nor be afraid of their insults. 8For the moth will eat them up like a garment, And the worm will eat them like wool; but My righteousness will be forever, And My salvation from generation to generation.”

See also 2 Chronicles 36:15-16, Acts 7:52, 1 Thessalonians 2:14-16

And no matter how much the people try to curse Jesus and his followers, God will continue to bless them.

Genesis 12:3 - I will bless those who bless you, and whoever curses you I will curse; and all peoples on earth will be blessed through you.”

A spiritual money belt/purse:

Luke 12:33 - Sell your possessions and give to the poor. Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out, a treasure in heaven that will never fail, where no thief comes near and no moth destroys.

Jesus is speaking about a spiritual sword in this scripture.

Ephesians 6:17 - Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.

See also Hebrews 4:12, Isaiah 49:2 & Revelation 1:16

And a spiritual cloak:

Isaiah 59:17 - He put on righteousness like a breastplate, and the helmet of salvation on His head; He put on garments of vengeance and wrapped Himself in a cloak of zeal.

Jesus would not be advising the disciples to carry weapons when he clearly rebuked Peter for using a weapon in self defence.

Matthew 26:51-52 - With that, one of Jesus’ companions reached for his sword, drew it out and struck the servant of the high priest, cutting off his ear. 52 “Put your sword back in its place,” Jesus said to him, “for all who draw the sword will die by the sword.

Jesus clearly stated ALL those who take up the sword will die by the sword. This was not meant for Peter only but for EVERYONE. Self defence is violence in the eyes of God.

Revelation 13:10 - He that leadeth into captivity shall go into captivity: he that killeth with the sword must be killed with the sword. Here is the patience and the faith of the saints.

If Jesus meant literal swords in Luke 22:36, then when the guards came to arrest him, he would not have asked why he is being treated like someone who is inciting violence:

Luke 22:52 - Then Jesus said to the chief priests, the officers of the temple guard, and the elders, who had come for him, "Am I leading a rebellion, that you have come with swords and clubs?

Jesus is clearly stating that he is being treated as one who incites violence and insurrection. Obviously, Jesus was not speaking about literal swords in Luke 22:36

So then, it is obvious that Jesus is not condoning violence nor is he speaking of a physical sword. Jesus is speaking of a spiritual sword in Luke 22:36, which is the word of God.

This is why Jesus stated

Matthew 10:34 - “Do not think that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I have not come to bring peace, but a sword.

Luke says it this way:

Luke 12:51 - Do you think I came to bring peace on earth? No, I tell you, but division.

As we can see, Jesus was speaking of a spiritual sword not a literal one.

This is why when the disciples responded and pointed out two literal physical swords, Jesus rebuked them for missing the point. Unfortunately, people are still missing the point today.

Luke 22:38 – The disciples said, “Lord, here are two swords!” “Enough of that!” Jesus replied.

Due to Jesus’ lack of explanation on this subject, Peter did not understand that he was referring to a spiritual sword at the time. And so, we find Peter carrying a sword, and ready to use it in self defence, until Jesus explains matters further to him, in the garden of Gethsemane in Matthew 26:51-52.

Luke 22:36 - He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one.

At first glance of Luke 22:36, it is easy to assume that Jesus is telling us to equip ourselves with different things such as money and a sword, before going out to preach the gospel. However, in this scripture, Jesus is referring to items such as a bag, money belt/purse, sword, and cloak, as spiritual items. Jesus did not condone physical violence of any kind and so there is a deeper meaning behind his instructions.

Luke 10:1, 4-5 & 7 - After this, the Lord appointed seventy-two others and sent them two by two ahead of him to every town and place where he was about to go...4 Do not take a purse or bag or sandals; and do not greet anyone on the road. 5 “When you enter a house, first say, ‘Peace to this house.’...7 Stay there, eating and drinking whatever they give you, for the worker deserves his wages. Do not move around from house to house.

Jesus is stating that the disciples will be provided for through the preaching of the gospel and they will receive these wages for their work which is preaching the gospel. If Jesus was speaking literally, then he seems to be contradicting himself in Luke 12:22-33, where he said that God would provide for them. However, this is not the case. Paul states, after Jesus’ death and resurrection:

1 Corinthians 9:3-12 & 18 - 3 This is my defense to those who sit in judgment on me. 4 Don’t we have the right to food and drink? 5 Don’t we have the right to take a believing wife along with us, as do the other apostles and the Lord’s brothers and Cephas? 6 Or is it only I and Barnabas who lack the right to not work for a living?

Paul is stating that preachers of the gospel have the right not to work for a living as the world does, since they are working through the preaching of the gospel.

The Philippian church, which was another Macedonian church also sent financial aid to Paul.

Acts 16:12 - From there we traveled to Philippi, a Roman colony and the leading city of that district of Macedonia. And we stayed there several days.

As we can see, Paul was provided for through other churches which is why he stated:

2 Corinthians 11:7-9 - Was it a sin for me to lower myself in order to elevate you by preaching the gospel of God to you free of charge? 8 I robbed other churches by receiving support from them so as to serve you. 9 And when I was with you and needed something, I was not a burden to anyone, for the brothers who came from Macedonia supplied what I needed. I have kept myself from being a burden to you in any way, and will continue to do so.

1 Corinthians 9:12 - If others have this right of support from you, shouldn’t we have it all the more?

But we did not use this right. On the contrary, we put up with anything rather than hinder the gospel of Christ.

In order to preach the gospel free of charge to the Corinthians, Paul used the aid he received from other churches. This does not mean that Paul did not receive wages for his work in the preaching of the gospel.

continued...1 Corinthians 9:13-14 - Don’t you know that those who serve in the temple get their food from the temple, and that those who serve at the altar share in what is offered on the altar? 14 In the same way, the Lord has commanded that those who preach the gospel should receive their living from the gospel.

Paul is clearly stating that preachers of the gospel should receive their living from the gospel. Paul also speaks of this in 1 Timothy 5:17-18.

And so in no way has this concept been nullified which Jesus stated in Luke 10:7.

My point is that Jesus is speaking about spiritual items in Luke 22:35-36. He is not saying that God will not provide and look after you, so you had better look after yourself, which it seemed like he was stating.

Let’s examine the evidence of the meaning behind Luke 22:35-36. Jesus is speaking of spiritual items in this scripture. A spiritual bag:

Job 14:17 - my transgression would be sealed up in a bag, and you would cover over my iniquity.

Luke 22:37 - For I tell you that this Scripture must be fulfilled in me: ‘And he was numbered with the transgressors.’ For what is written about me has its fulfillment.”

This means that people will call both Jesus and his followers, transgressors due to not agreeing with his interpretation of the word of God, and they will need God's protection regarding people's allegations of these transgressions.

Isaiah 51:7-8 - Listen to Me, you who know righteousness, you people in whose heart is My law: Do not fear the reproach of men, Nor be afraid of their insults. 8For the moth will eat them up like a garment, And the worm will eat them like wool; but My righteousness will be forever, And My salvation from generation to generation.”

And no matter how much the people try to curse Jesus and his followers, God will continue to bless them.

Genesis 12:3 - I will bless those who bless you, and whoever curses you I will curse; and all peoples on earth will be blessed through you.”

Luke 12:33 - Sell your possessions and give to the poor. Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out, a treasure in heaven that will never fail, where no thief comes near and no moth destroys.

Ephesians 6:17 - Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.

And a spiritual cloak:

Isaiah 59:17 - He put on righteousness like a breastplate, and the helmet of salvation on His head; He put on garments of vengeance and wrapped Himself in a cloak of zeal.

Jesus would not be advising the disciples to carry weapons when he clearly rebuked Peter for using a weapon in self defence.

Matthew 26:51-52 - With that, one of Jesus’ companions reached for his sword, drew it out and struck the servant of the high priest, cutting off his ear. 52 “Put your sword back in its place,” Jesus said to him, “for all who draw the sword will die by the sword.

Jesus clearly stated ALL those who take up the sword will die by the sword. This was not meant for Peter only but for EVERYONE. Self defence is violence in the eyes of God.

Revelation 13:10 - He that leadeth into captivity shall go into captivity: he that killeth with the sword must be killed with the sword. Here is the patience and the faith of the saints.

If Jesus meant literal swords in Luke 22:36, then when the guards came to arrest him, he would not have asked why he is being treated like someone who is inciting violence:

Luke 22:52 - Then Jesus said to the chief priests, the officers of the temple guard, and the elders, who had come for him, "Am I leading a rebellion, that you have come with swords and clubs?

Jesus is clearly stating that he is being treated as one who incites violence and insurrection. Obviously, Jesus was not speaking about literal swords in Luke 22:36

So then, it is obvious that Jesus is not condoning violence nor is he speaking of a physical sword. Jesus is speaking of a spiritual sword in Luke 22:36, which is the word of God.

This is why Jesus stated

Matthew 10:34 - “Do not think that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I have not come to bring peace, but a sword.

Luke says it this way:

Luke 12:51 - Do you think I came to bring peace on earth? No, I tell you, but division.

This is why when the disciples responded and pointed out two literal physical swords, Jesus rebuked them for missing the point. Unfortunately, people are still missing the point today.

Luke 22:38 – The disciples said, “Lord, here are two swords!” “Enough of that!” Jesus replied.

Due to Jesus’ lack of explanation on this subject, Peter did not understand that he was referring to a spiritual sword at the time. And so, we find Peter carrying a sword, and ready to use it in self defence, until Jesus explains matters further to him, in the garden of Gethsemane in Matthew 26:51-52.
Why do you say Jesus is telling' US ' those things in Luke 22.36 ? He's telling his Jewish Diciples those things .

He told EVERTHING to his Jewish disciples are you picking and choosing what to listen to?
I'm saying it has to be understood in light of those facts first . Its always a little slippery when we say " Jesus told us ...." When literally he was speaking to his disciples. He told them to only preach to Israel in mat 10 . Was that to ' us ' also ?
5¶These twelve Jesus sent forth, and commanded them, saying, Go not into the way of the Gentiles, and into any city of the Samaritans enter ye not:
6But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

I'm saying it has to be understood in light of those facts first . Its always a little slippery when we say " Jesus told us ...." When literally he was speaking to his disciples. He told them to only preach to Israel in mat 10 . Was that to ' us ' also ?
5¶These twelve Jesus sent forth, and commanded them, saying, Go not into the way of the Gentiles, and into any city of the Samaritans enter ye not:
6But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.
Yes but what I’m saying is many people attempt to say that Jesus advocates violence through self defence and carrying weapons in this scripture and this is what I’m disputing.

Th
At best there could only be a case for self defense.
[/QUOTE

Thank you for your comments and I Ike the point about Jesus only talking to the Jewish disciples in the scripture about only go to the lost sheep of the house of Israel, since many Muslims take this scripture out of context stating Jesus did not come for the gentiles but rather only for the Jews, which is of course false.

Active
YES spot on as we say - Jesus is most definitely not recommending carrying a real sword - I am not of this world otherwise my followers would fight for me - it is spiritual euphemism - for when two swords are presented,
Jesus says "It is enough" [no more of this misunderstanding from you guys] and goes out to the Mount of Olives to pray.

Ephesians 6:
10 Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might. 11 Put on the whole armour of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.
12 For we are not contending against flesh and blood, but against the principalities, against the powers, against the world rulers of this present darkness, against the spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.
13 Therefore take the whole armour of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. 14 Stand therefore, having girded your loins with truth, and having put on
the breastplate of righteousness,
15 and having shod your feet with the equipment of the gospel of peace; 16 besides all these, taking the shield of faith, with which you can quench all the flaming darts of the evil one.
17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. 18 Pray at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. To that end keep alert with all perseverance,
making supplication for all the saints, 19 and also for me, that utterance may be given me in opening my mouth boldly to proclaim the mystery of the gospel,
20 for which I am an ambassador in chains; that I may declare it boldly, as I ought to speak.

Active

And a spiritual cloak:

This is why Jesus stated

Luke says it this way:

Here we go again...Take a single verse out of context and build an entire doctrine on it....Go ahead and tell God what He meant..because He doesn't know....Right? He was telling the disciples to take the things they need on a journey...Just like you would.

Here we go again...Take a single verse out of context and build an entire doctrine on it....Go ahead and tell God what He meant..because He doesn't know....Right? He was telling the disciples to take the things they need on a journey...Just like you would.
Why would he tell the disciples to carry a literal sword and then when they use it in the garden of gethsemane in self defence he rebuked them?

There is a time to turn the other cheek, and a time to swing your sword....That's biblical. ECCLESIASTES 3:3 Sometimes turning the other cheek is counter productive. Self defence is not a sin
Matthew 12:42 The queen of the South will rise up at the judgment with this generation and condemn it, for she came from the ends of the earth to hear the wisdom of Solomon, and behold, something greater than Solomon is here.

Matthew 5:38 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’[a](A) 39 But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also.(B) 40 And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well. 41 If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles.

As you can see Jesus is greater than Solomon he had more wisdom and so we must obey Jesus not Solomon. Same thing with Moses. Jesus in no way supports self defence ever.

Active
Matthew 12:42 The queen of the South will rise up at the judgment with this generation and condemn it, for she came from the ends of the earth to hear the wisdom of Solomon, and behold, something greater than Solomon is here.

Matthew 5:38 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’[a](A) 39 But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also.(B) 40 And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well. 41 If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles.

As you can see Jesus is greater than Solomon he had more wisdom and so we must obey Jesus not Solomon. Same thing with Moses. Jesus in no way supports self defence ever.
Look....You can believe whatever you want...even if it goes against the Word....God gave you that right....who am I to tell you not to believe what you believe...

Loyal
Luke 22:36; And He said to them, "But now, whoever has a money belt is to take it along, likewise also a bag, and whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one.