• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Bread with an Edge

Staff Member
But Jesus answered him, saying, "It is written, 'Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God.' " Luke 4:4 NKJV

To be human is to be tempted. That’s a big takeaway from Jesus’ spiritual battle with Satan in the desert. Jesus was showing His foe that He was fully human, as well as fully God. He was tempted just like we are, and because He overcame it, we know we can too.

God’s Word is our chief weapon against the enemy of our souls. In the wilderness, Jesus parried Satan’s temptations with scripture. He could’ve said, “I’m God, so shut up and leave Me alone.” Satan would’ve had to obey Him. But Jesus, as always, had us in mind, even during this terrible forty-day period.

Jesus called Himself the Bread of Life, meaning He alone can satisfy our deepest needs. To benefit from His provision, though, we need to know His words, which cut like a sword. That’s what He gave us in the wilderness: bread with an edge. When we obey His commands, we sharpen the edge of His blade. When His words live in us, they cut through enemy attacks and seemingly unbreakable bonds to our old ways.

Prayer: Jesus, when I rely on what You have said and done, I can stand against anyone who attacks me, starting with the devil. I submit to You. Let Your Word work in me for Your glory.