• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

BORN AGAIN of Water and the Spirit?

John 3:3
In reply Jesus declared, "I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is Born Again."
John 3:5
Jesus answered, “Very truly I tell you, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless they are born of water and the Spirit.

In the two scriptures (Above), Jesus tells us that no one can enter the Kingdom of God unless he is Born Again, and Born of Water and the Spirit. What exactly does this mean? I do not feel it can mean the first birth being born of water, because there are some who die in the womb. I do not feel the water means baptism, because that does not save you. In the two scriptures (Below) it reads like God Himself is the one who washes you with the water. I would love to just be able to understand more clearly, what does being Born Again truly mean, and what exactly does it mean to be "born of water"?

Ezekiel 36:25-27
25 I will sprinkle clean water on you, and you will be clean; I will cleanse you from all your impurities and from all your idols. 26 I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh. 27 And I will put my Spirit in you and move you to follow my decrees and be careful to keep my laws.
1 Corinthians 6:11
And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.

Last edited:
Tracy,

You have expressed a question that has been asked throughout church history.

Scripture tells us that God does not change His mind as seen in I Sam. 15:29 “He who is the Glory of Israel does not lie or change His mind; for He is not a man that He should change His mind.” and B. Psalm 110:4 “The Lord has sworn and will not change His mind. You are a priest forever, in the order of Melchizedek.”

In our daily walk as Christians, we seldom think that God would change His mind on such matters as our salvation or whether He will answer our prayers. We can be assured because God has stated here in these two verses that He indeed does not change His mind or His ways. If this is truly the case, then the Creator of the universe does not change His relationship with His children or the vehicle by which we enter and remain in His kingdom. Understanding that God is unchanging, it would be reasonable to assume that He would continue those things He deemed as necessary under the Old Covenant to be necessary under the New Covenant.

God established His covenant as seen in Gen. 17:10 “This is My covenant with you and your descendants after you, the covenant you are to keep: Every male among you shall be circumcised.” This was something, not optional, as seen in Gen. 17:12 “For the generations to come very male among you who is eight days old must be circumcised.” If anyone refused to be circumcised the consequences could be seen in Gen. 17:14 “Any uncircumcised male, who has not been circumcised in the flesh will be cut off from his people; he has broken my covenant.” What God desired can be seen in Jer. 31:33, where we read “This the covenant I will make with the house of Israel after that time, declares the Lord. I will put my law in their minds and write it on their hearts.”

We can see here that the old covenant was established prior to the law. Therefore, the law has no effect upon this covenant. What God desired for His people was to have His law written on their hearts. We know that this never happened under the Old Covenant due to the fact that He established a New Covenant. Within the New Covenant the Apostle Paul states in Rom. 2:28,29 that, “A man is not a Jew if he is only one outwardly, nor is merely outward and physical. I will put my law in their minds and write it on their hearts.” The question is how is this accomplished? In Col. 2:11,12 Paul writes, “In Him you were also circumcised, in the putting off of the sinful nature, not with a circumcision done by the hands of men but with the circumcision done by Christ. Having been buried with Him in baptism.”

According to St. Paul, if a person is circumcised only in the flesh, then he isn’t really a Jew. His circumcision must be performed by the Holy Spirit to ratify it. As Christians, we would be considered the true Jews being that the Holy Spirit in our baptism performed our circumcision. Just as God required circumcision under the Old Covenant, He also requires circumcision of the heart under the New Covenant, which renews our fallen nature. Circumcision under the Old Covenant was performed on children on the 8th day and adults becoming Jews. The early church, coming from Jewish roots, historically baptized children on the 8th day and adults becoming Christian.

We can see an example in the life of our Lord Jesus Christ. When Jesus approached John to be baptized John responded in Matt. 3:11,13-15 “I baptize you with water for repentance, He that is coming after me is greater than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire. The Jesus came from Galilee to John at the Jordan to be baptized. John tried to stop Him
saying, ‘I need to be baptized by you?’ Jesus replied, ‘Let it be done now; to fulfill all righteousness.”

Here Jesus approaches John the Baptist to be baptized. There is no doubt what John expected of those coming to him, he required repentance of sins. John found himself in a dilemma when approached by Jesus for baptism. John felt that their roles should be reversed with Jesus baptizing him. So why was Jesus baptized? To fulfill all righteousness as seen in verse 15. Is the righteousness spoken of here for the benefit of the Eternal Son of God? Definitely Not! It is for our benefit. Just as we receive the benefits of the death of Christ on the cross, we also receive the benefits of His immersion into the waters of the Jordan. In faith we accept the death on the cross and in faith we accept the sanctifying powers of the waters of Baptism.

We read in Matt. 28:18-20 “Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of he Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you.”

As a man, Jesus received all authority in heaven and on earth. We know that Matthew can’t mean as God, because as God the Son, He had all authority from eternity. So, it must be in His humanity. How are we to go and make disciples? By the sacrament of Baptism, which makes us disciples. Believe comes from the Greek word, PISTEOU, which means to have faith with respect to a person, which has to be Jesus. The formula for baptism is in the name of the Trinity per the words of Jesus himself. Some today hold that we can be baptized in the name of Jesus only. If we understand history, we would know that they are modern Sabellians or Modelist which were condemned at the Forth Council of Chalcedon (451 A.D.) The Church has taught Her disciples everything the Lord taught His disciples which can be seen in Acts 1:3. Here we read, “being seen of them forty days, and speaking of the things pertaining to the kingdom of God.” These things that Jesus taught, within this 40-day period, were not made known in the Scriptures but have been held to be Holy Tradition. This Holy Tradition was passed down from the apostles to the church after Jesus’ ascension. Even if it isn’t in the Bible, verbal Holy Tradition is valid. We must keep in mind that the Bible, prior to being put into written form, was verbal tradition.

In Mark 16:15,16 “Go into all the world and preach the good news to all creation. Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.”

Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved. Today these words are used to defend the teaching that only belief in Jesus is required for salvation. But those who teach this willfully leave out the important fact of the sacrament of Baptism. You can’t have one without the other. Just at the last part of this verse states, our lack of belief nullifies the sacrament. Infant baptism is a critical issue, which cannot be ignored. The historic Church has always baptized infants because, having its roots in Judaism, it has always understood what the sacrament accomplishes which will be dealt with later.

In Luke 24: 45-47 “Then He opened their minds so they could understand the Scriptures. He told them, ‘This is what is written: The Christ will suffer and rise from the dead on the third day, and repentance and forgiveness of sins will be preached in His name to all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.”

Jesus opened the minds of His disciples so that they could understand His Holy Scriptures. Today the Holy Spirit has to open our minds so that we can understand. An interesting point regarding worship can be made here. There is nothing in the Scriptures that outlines how and what should be done in worship. This is because the form of worship of the early Church was established and understood to be the only way to worship. But if we look at the Scriptures with a mind open to the Holy Spirit, we can find many passages that will inform us as to how to worship. The doctrine of worship can be a study itself.

IV. SCRIPTURAL EVIDENCE for BAPTISM

A. Acts 2:38 “Peter replied, ‘Repent and be baptized, everyone of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.”

Here we find one of the key verses that is used to support the view that baptism is performed in the name of Jesus only. This verse must be viewed in light of Matt. 28:18-20. Peter would not have contradicted Jesus or changed what he was taught by the person he believed to be God in the flesh. Why are we baptized? The answer to this question is found in this very verse. For the forgiveness of our sins. I did not make this up, the Apostle Peter said this himself. If he was wrong here, then he can’t be trusted regarding anything else he said. The historic church always taught this and the understanding of what happens here which is called baptismal regeneration. This means that in our baptism, God restores our fallen nature to its original state prior to the fall. This also means that I don’t have to do anything else but obey God and submit to the Sacrament and God does all the work.

Acts 2:41 “Those who accepted his message were baptized, and about 3,000 were added to their number that day.”

Acts 8:34-39 “The eunuch asked Philip, ‘Tell me, please, who is the prophet talking about, himself or someone else?’ Then Philip began with that very passage of Scripture and told him the good news about Jesus. As they traveled along the road, they came to some water and the eunuch said, ‘Why shouldn’t I be baptized?’ And he gave orders to stop the chariot. Then both Philip and the eunuch went down into the water and Philip baptized him. When they came up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord suddenly took Philip away, and the eunuch did not see him again, but went on his way rejoicing.”

Acts 16:13-15 “On the Sabbath we went outside the city gate to the river, where we expected to find a place of prayer. We sat down and began to speak to the women who had gathered there. One of those listening was a women named Lydia, a dealer in purple cloth from the city of Thyatira, who was a worshipper of God. The Lord opened her heart to respond to Paul’s message. When she and
and the members of her household were baptized, she invited us to her home.”

Acts 16:25-33 “About midnight Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns to God, and the other prisoners were listening to them. Suddenly there was such a violent earthquake that the foundations of the
prison were shaken. At once all the prison doors flew open, and everybody’s chains came loose. The jailer woke up, and when he saw the prison doors open, he drew his sword and was about to kill himself because he thought the prisoners had escaped. But Paul shouted, ‘Don’t harm yourself! We are all here!’ The jailer called for lights, rushed in and fell trembling before Paul and Silas. He then brought them out and asked, ‘Sirs, what must I do to be saved?’ They replied, ‘Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved - you and your household.’ Then they spoke the word of the Lord to him and to all the others in household. At that hour of the night the jailer took them and washed their wounds;then immediately he and all his family were baptized.” Note that the entire households of Lydia and the jailer were baptized which would have included even infants and servants.

I provided the above information to help you see how the passage in John 3:5 should be understood.

Christ’s disciples baptized with water unto repentance and remission, which provides evidence that they had the same understanding, which is what they would have been taught by the Lord Jesus Christ. It was not until the reformation that a different view came to be understood for this passage.

I hope this has been helpful. Let me know if you have more questions.

In Christ,
Russ

Yes it does , Our first birth is a water birth from our mothers , the next birth must be from the power of the Holy Ghost .

we see now why He said water . they are cloning people now i understand ?

It not water baptism . The only really important baptism is done by the Holy Ghost .

I believe in both if any way we can ?

But i seen and know people can be born again even on there death beds . Also all babies go to heaven automatically .

Eph_4:5 One Lord, one faith, one baptism,

Mat_3:11 I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:

1Co_1:17 For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect.

Faith needs a action in order to work . just saying I have faith is not enough . Faith will not work without some type of action .

I cannot find it right now .
But there is a scripture that says ? being baptized can bring salvation .

It the action of proving you mean business in front of others that reveals your faith in HIM.

Some think just because they got water baptized they are born again . It just not truth .

Born of the spirit is God giving us a brand new baby spirit being . Which is the holy perfect child of God and our only part with it new mind that goes to heaven [ New Jerusalem ] Our home now once born into His family and Household .

Our flesh body returns too the dust of the earth . Gone forever more . The bible clearly states ? Nothing we see here is eternal and there is nothing in our flesh it self that is good .

2Co_4:18 While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal.

Rom_7:18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good

Joh_6:63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing:

1Co_12:13 For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.
Water does not do this . It all Spiritual and by Faith .

2Co_4:16 For which cause we faint not; but though our outward man perish, yet the inward man is renewed day by day.

He is talking about our flesh body that perishes because of sin
and only our new Spirit has life ,because of no Sin .

Rom_8:10 And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.

We have a spiritual body as well as a flesh body . He changes the Spirit body at salvation and gives us a new clean , perfect one like our LORD .

1Co_15:44 It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body.

Eze_11:19 And I will give them one heart, and I will put a new spirit within you; and I will take the stony heart out of their flesh, and will give them an heart of flesh:
Eze_18:31 Cast away from you all your transgressions, whereby ye have transgressed; and make you a new heart and a new spirit: for why will ye die, O house of Israel?
Eze_36:26 A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.

Heb_5:13 For every one that useth milk is unskilful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe.
1Pe_2:2 As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby:

That why we need to have great mercy on the baby christian . GOD loves them just as much as He loves us who are a little more mature .

They can be any age in the flesh and still be a baby in there spirit being .

The moment you received Christ as Lord and Savior, the Holy Spirit is already in you. Then you should be baptized with water immediately because you are to do so. :)

Of course some are not able to ever be water baptized.

Water baptism is not salvation.

Born -again is .

but i do believe in both if we can?

These were Born -again , filled with the Holy Ghost . then water baptized .

Act_10:47 Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we?

1Co_1:17 For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect.
The Important things are always ,what He did for us .That why He gets call the Glory and honor .

Last edited:
Spirit1st,

Context, context, context. Something you appear not to understand. If we take verses out of context then we are not being true to the Scriptures. You quote I Cor. 1:17 attempting to show that Paul did not baptize. The context of verse 17 are the preceding verses. Here we read, "Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Were you baptized in the name of Paul? I thank God, that I did not baptize any of you except Crispus and Gaius, so no one can say that you were baptized in my name. (Yes, I also baptized the household of Stephanas; beyond that, I don't remember if I baptized anyone else.)" Paul did indeed baptize during his missionary journeys and it is interesting that he could not remember all that he had baptized indicating that he must have baptized many more than those he mentioned. Anyone can take a verse out of context and prove what they want the Scriptures to say. In the study of the Greek language this is called eisegesis, which means to put what meaning you want into the Scriptures. Proper interpretation is called exegesis, the drawing out the proper meaning of Scriptures.

Your brother in Christ

Never said He never baptized anyone. Just saying that not the important thing. The gospel is . The gospel is the way to salvation . Not water .

Water cannot wash away even one sin. Only the LORD Blood can .

This is the way the Holy Ghost teaches those willing?

1Co_2:13 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.

The carnal understanding does not understand much .

Eph_3:6 That the Gentiles should be fellowheirs, and of the same body, and partakers of his promise in Christ by the gospel:

Heb_4:2 For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.

2Ti_1:10 But is now made manifest by the appearing of our Saviour Jesus Christ, who hath abolished death, and hath brought life and immortality to light through the gospel:

2Co_4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

Rom_1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.

This is the LORD gospel .
1Co 15:3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;
1Co 15:4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

Rom 10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
Rom 10:10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

It what He did for us . Not what we appear to do.

It only by His Holy Blood .

Heb 9:20 Saying, This is the blood of the testament which God hath enjoined unto you.

Rom_8:7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.

1Co_2:14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

When you quoted I Cor. 1:17 stating, "Water baptism is not salvation" I could only come to the conclusion thatmade me think that you believe baptism is not necessary for salvation. I only teach what I find in the Scriptures, which has to include the truth of those verses that state repent and be baptized for the remission of sins. If a Christian can't trust those which ones can we trust? Baptism is a central part of the Gospel otherwise Jesus would not have said in Mark 16:15-16 “Go into all the world and preach the good news to all creation. Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be commended" The very words of Jesus provide proof that baptism is an essential part of the Gospel. I cannot separate repentance from baptism because Jesus put the two together. It is good news that our sins can be washed away in the sacrament of baptism. A good question is, why would Jesus have been baptized because His own statement to repent cannot apply to Him.

Your brother in the Lord

Last edited:

DHC

1 Peter 3
21 Corresponding to that, baptism now saves you—not the removal of dirt from the flesh, but an appeal to God for a good conscience—through the resurrection of Jesus Christ,

Baptism is very important to salvation . But Not the water baptism . Only The Spiritual baptism is a Must.
You understand ? Those Jesus freed from hell did not have water baptism , Those on there death beds . Those Where there is no water for it ?
Babies .

Salvation is very simple Romans 10: 9 and 10 reveal it clearly .

I shown you those who received the Holy Ghost had not been water baptized . They were already Born into God family and Kingdom .

I understand many even think all it takes is water baptism . That not Born _again or Eternal life.

The bible tells us there is one baptism .
What do you think that means ? The one done by our LORD JESUS or the one we might do?

Mat_3:11 I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:
Mar_1:8 I indeed have baptized you with water: but he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost.
Luk_3:16 John answered, saying unto them all, I indeed baptize you with water; but one mightier than I cometh, the latchet of whose shoes I am not worthy to unloose: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost and with fire:

Eph_4:5 One Lord, one faith, one baptism,

I heard some say ? The one baptism is the water one Not the One done by the HOLY GHOST.

The carnal thinker might think that way ?

I was born again and part of GOD family and had Eternal life before I ever got water baptized.

Do you believe this scripture? It really reveals lots to us if we believe it ?

2Co_4:18 While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal.

Nothing we see on this planet is eternal . All the very important , which is the Eternal things are things we DO NOT SEE.

So many are counting these carnal things as being Eternal .
When it very clear in scriptures , they are NOT.

You understand ? The New covenant started after the LORD died on the Cross and rose from the dead and sent back the Holy Ghost.

We are now under New laws and a 100% New Priesthood.
The new laws are God eternal laws . LOVE and Faith . Nothing more .

Look i do not argue . This is the way I believe and I will not try to make others see . I could not anyway.

Only the holy Ghost can open our eyes to the Spiritual trues and only if we truly want to know the Truth .

love you anyway and pray the Lord helps you grow and live in the power of the HOLY GHOST.Which is GOD will for every one of us 100%

Active
the physical immersion in water is one confessing they are a sinner and Jesus Christ, is the Messiah, and Lord and Savior of their life. amen.

most people stop right there. this is why there is no wisdom and understanding by revelation knowledge of Jesus Christ.

after immersion, one must read, read, read, dedicated to eat of His flesh, the Word, it is living Water unto the Spirit. one reads the Word, and as you do it starts RENEWING THE MIND by WASHING OF WATER BY THE WORD, feasting, seeking, yearning, chasing God's own heart. God begans to lift the veil of darkness off of your heart and you began to see with the heart. If thine eye (heart) be single, the whole body is filled with light.

another baptism will come, your spiritual baptism. He has a baptism to be baptized with. Man can not do this baptism for you, it is a personal intimate relationship between you and God. When you experience this baptism ye shall experience being baptized with the Holy Ghost and fire. amen.

You KNOW Him. and you finally accept the fact your life is not your own, it belongs to God. you are a purchased possession. praise God.

Seek Him fervently, diligently, with all your heart, all your mind, all your strenght, all you soul. your very being revolves around the Lord and His Word is in your heart, your mind and upon your lips. your feel His fire within you and you yearn for more. As we live, move and breath, we do so unto God. Amen

ALL praise, glory and honor be to God.

Tracy,

You have expressed a question that has been asked throughout church history.

Scripture tells us that God does not change His mind as seen in “He who is the Glory of Israel does not lie or change His mind; for He is not a man that He should change His mind.” and B. “The Lord has sworn and will not change His mind. You are a priest forever, in the order of Melchizedek.”

In our daily walk as Christians, we seldom think that God would change His mind on such matters as our salvation or whether He will answer our prayers. We can be assured because God has stated here in these two verses that He indeed does not change His mind or His ways. If this is truly the case, then the Creator of the universe does not change His relationship with His children or the vehicle by which we enter and remain in His kingdom. Understanding that God is unchanging, it would be reasonable to assume that He would continue those things He deemed as necessary under the Old Covenant to be necessary under the New Covenant.

God established His covenant as seen in “This is My covenant with you and your descendants after you, the covenant you are to keep: Every male among you shall be circumcised.” This was something, not optional, as seen in “For the generations to come very male among you who is eight days old must be circumcised.” If anyone refused to be circumcised the consequences could be seen in “Any uncircumcised male, who has not been circumcised in the flesh will be cut off from his people; he has broken my covenant.” What God desired can be seen in , where we read “This the covenant I will make with the house of Israel after that time, declares the Lord. I will put my law in their minds and write it on their hearts.”

We can see here that the old covenant was established prior to the law. Therefore, the law has no effect upon this covenant. What God desired for His people was to have His law written on their hearts. We know that this never happened under the Old Covenant due to the fact that He established a New Covenant. Within the New Covenant the Apostle Paul states in , that, “A man is not a Jew if he is only one outwardly, nor is merely outward and physical. I will put my law in their minds and write it on their hearts.” The question is how is this accomplished? In , Paul writes, “In Him you were also circumcised, in the putting off of the sinful nature, not with a circumcision done by the hands of men but with the circumcision done by Christ. Having been buried with Him in baptism.”

According to St. Paul, if a person is circumcised only in the flesh, then he isn’t really a Jew. His circumcision must be performed by the Holy Spirit to ratify it. As Christians, we would be considered the true Jews being that the Holy Spirit in our baptism performed our circumcision. Just as God required circumcision under the Old Covenant, He also requires circumcision of the heart under the New Covenant, which renews our fallen nature. Circumcision under the Old Covenant was performed on children on the 8th day and adults becoming Jews. The early church, coming from Jewish roots, historically baptized children on the 8th day and adults becoming Christian.

We can see an example in the life of our Lord Jesus Christ. When Jesus approached John to be baptized John responded in , “I baptize you with water for repentance, He that is coming after me is greater than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire. The Jesus came from Galilee to John at the Jordan to be baptized. John tried to stop Him
saying, ‘I need to be baptized by you?’ Jesus replied, ‘Let it be done now; to fulfill all righteousness.”

Here Jesus approaches John the Baptist to be baptized. There is no doubt what John expected of those coming to him, he required repentance of sins. John found himself in a dilemma when approached by Jesus for baptism. John felt that their roles should be reversed with Jesus baptizing him. So why was Jesus baptized? To fulfill all righteousness as seen in verse 15. Is the righteousness spoken of here for the benefit of the Eternal Son of God? Definitely Not! It is for our benefit. Just as we receive the benefits of the death of Christ on the cross, we also receive the benefits of His immersion into the waters of the Jordan. In faith we accept the death on the cross and in faith we accept the sanctifying powers of the waters of Baptism.

We read in “Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of he Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you.”

As a man, Jesus received all authority in heaven and on earth. We know that Matthew can’t mean as God, because as God the Son, He had all authority from eternity. So, it must be in His humanity. How are we to go and make disciples? By the sacrament of Baptism, which makes us disciples. Believe comes from the Greek word, PISTEOU, which means to have faith with respect to a person, which has to be Jesus. The formula for baptism is in the name of the Trinity per the words of Jesus himself. Some today hold that we can be baptized in the name of Jesus only. If we understand history, we would know that they are modern Sabellians or Modelist which were condemned at the Forth Council of Chalcedon (451 A.D.) The Church has taught Her disciples everything the Lord taught His disciples which can be seen in . Here we read, “being seen of them forty days, and speaking of the things pertaining to the kingdom of God.” These things that Jesus taught, within this 40-day period, were not made known in the Scriptures but have been held to be Holy Tradition. This Holy Tradition was passed down from the apostles to the church after Jesus’ ascension. Even if it isn’t in the Bible, verbal Holy Tradition is valid. We must keep in mind that the Bible, prior to being put into written form, was verbal tradition.

In , “Go into all the world and preach the good news to all creation. Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.”

Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved. Today these words are used to defend the teaching that only belief in Jesus is required for salvation. But those who teach this willfully leave out the important fact of the sacrament of Baptism. You can’t have one without the other. Just at the last part of this verse states, our lack of belief nullifies the sacrament. Infant baptism is a critical issue, which cannot be ignored. The historic Church has always baptized infants because, having its roots in Judaism, it has always understood what the sacrament accomplishes which will be dealt with later.

In “Then He opened their minds so they could understand the Scriptures. He told them, ‘This is what is written: The Christ will suffer and rise from the dead on the third day, and repentance and forgiveness of sins will be preached in His name to all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.”

Jesus opened the minds of His disciples so that they could understand His Holy Scriptures. Today the Holy Spirit has to open our minds so that we can understand. An interesting point regarding worship can be made here. There is nothing in the Scriptures that outlines how and what should be done in worship. This is because the form of worship of the early Church was established and understood to be the only way to worship. But if we look at the Scriptures with a mind open to the Holy Spirit, we can find many passages that will inform us as to how to worship. The doctrine of worship can be a study itself.

IV. SCRIPTURAL EVIDENCE for BAPTISM

A. “Peter replied, ‘Repent and be baptized, everyone of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.”

Here we find one of the key verses that is used to support the view that baptism is performed in the name of Jesus only. This verse must be viewed in light of . Peter would not have contradicted Jesus or changed what he was taught by the person he believed to be God in the flesh. Why are we baptized? The answer to this question is found in this very verse. For the forgiveness of our sins. I did not make this up, the Apostle Peter said this himself. If he was wrong here, then he can’t be trusted regarding anything else he said. The historic church always taught this and the understanding of what happens here which is called baptismal regeneration. This means that in our baptism, God restores our fallen nature to its original state prior to the fall. This also means that I don’t have to do anything else but obey God and submit to the Sacrament and God does all the work.

“Those who accepted his message were baptized, and about 3,000 were added to their number that day.”

“The eunuch asked Philip, ‘Tell me, please, who is the prophet talking about, himself or someone else?’ Then Philip began with that very passage of Scripture and told him the good news about Jesus. As they traveled along the road, they came to some water and the eunuch said, ‘Why shouldn’t I be baptized?’ And he gave orders to stop the chariot. Then both Philip and the eunuch went down into the water and Philip baptized him. When they came up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord suddenly took Philip away, and the eunuch did not see him again, but went on his way rejoicing.”

“On the Sabbath we went outside the city gate to the river, where we expected to find a place of prayer. We sat down and began to speak to the women who had gathered there. One of those listening was a women named Lydia, a dealer in purple cloth from the city of Thyatira, who was a worshipper of God. The Lord opened her heart to respond to Paul’s message. When she and
and the members of her household were baptized, she invited us to her home.”

“About midnight Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns to God, and the other prisoners were listening to them. Suddenly there was such a violent earthquake that the foundations of the
prison were shaken. At once all the prison doors flew open, and everybody’s chains came loose. The jailer woke up, and when he saw the prison doors open, he drew his sword and was about to kill himself because he thought the prisoners had escaped. But Paul shouted, ‘Don’t harm yourself! We are all here!’ The jailer called for lights, rushed in and fell trembling before Paul and Silas. He then brought them out and asked, ‘Sirs, what must I do to be saved?’ They replied, ‘Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved - you and your household.’ Then they spoke the word of the Lord to him and to all the others in household. At that hour of the night the jailer took them and washed their wounds;then immediately he and all his family were baptized.” Note that the entire households of Lydia and the jailer were baptized which would have included even infants and servants.

I provided the above information to help you see how the passage in should be understood.

Christ’s disciples baptized with water unto repentance and remission, which provides evidence that they had the same understanding, which is what they would have been taught by the Lord Jesus Christ. It was not until the reformation that a different view came to be understood for this passage.

I hope this has been helpful. Let me know if you have more questions.

In Christ,
Russ

Are you saying that baptism is required to be saved? I think we definitely should be because Christ was and he set the example for us to follow,but I don't think God would send someone to hell for not being baptized.. Christ said to the malefactor on the cross this day I will see you in paradise.. Do you think he was baptized.. Another thought would be an infant baptized turns out to be a satin worshiper.. A person that loves the Lord lives the best they can asks for forgiveness.. Dies in a car accident on the way to be baptized.. Our Father is a God of love ... Righteousness.. But the Christian in this case is out of luck ?

Last edited: