• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Friendly atheist here.

I’ve been an occasional participant at TJF for a few years and I have always been glad to find a community of thoughtful, enthusiastic and overwhelmingly kind people. I never bring up politics or current events unless they offer some clear springboard into an exploration of Christian belief and principles.

But now, my conscience demands I break this rule of mine.

Americans (I know this is an international crowd): Yesterday Attorney General Jefferson Sessions had the gall to hijack and cherry pick the Christian Bible in cowardly justification of his own immoral policy. He yoked scripture to the defense of the US government’s barbaric new “zero tolerance” policy in the treatment of migrants taken into custody along our southern border.

Innocent children, from infants to adolescents, are being separated from their families to be interned in a disgusting hodgepodge of ad hoc refugee housing.

He said, “I would cite you to the Apostle Paul and his clear and wise command in Romans 13, to obey the laws of the government because God has ordained the government for his purposes.”

This outrageous, craven bid to shield a manifestly monstrous policy under the aegis of the VERY SAME CHAPTER of scripture that articulates the inherently Christian, and inherently human, duty to, “Love your neighbor as yourself,” is beneath contempt.

Usually I am happy to discuss and explore the meanings and implications of these very verses. That is not my purpose today. Today, frightened, landless, vulnerable mothers in US custody, many of whom do not speak English, MOST of whom are devout Christians, are being ripped away and separated from their children. And the government explicitly states the purpose of this deliberate program of cruelty is to horrify foreigners into not seeking sanctuary here.

If you are an American, I urge you; I beseech you; I implore you... Call, email AND snail
mail your government representatives and demand an end to this reprehensible and wantonly draconian violation of human rights. Then, dwell for a time on something, ANYthing else you might additionally do to halt this revolting betrayal of human decency.

If you are a US citizen, anything the Federal government does it does in your name and on your behalf. PLEASE join me, and all Americans of conscience, in resisting complicity in this foul crime.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wa...-in-defense-of-separating-immigrant-families/

Loyal

I've noticed you tend to break your own rules - frequently :)

many of whom do not speak English, MOST of whom are devout Christians, are being ripped away and separated from their children.

What is your source that "most are devout Christians"? Every article I have seen states the contrary.
Even so... that isn't the important point here.

No one is keeping their children from them. First of all those children are free to go to the country where the parents reside
anytime the parents want them to. If this is a separated marriage, the spouses are free to go to the countries as well.

Second, this isn't the "majority" of refugees as you make it sound. These are "illegal aliens" that haven't been documented
and vetted yet. Why don't they simply "get legal" then they can live here with their children if that's what they desire.

PLEASE join me, and all Americans of conscience, in resisting complicity in this foul crime.

If an American citizen who has children commits a crime, he goes to jail or prison. He doesn't get to be with his family
for (months, years, decades). It is the price he pays for "being illegal". Why should a "non-citizen" not abide by this as
well? Why should a non-citizen abide by different rules and laws than the citizens who pay taxes here?

I've noticed you tend to break your own rules - frequently :)

What is your source that "most are devout Christians"? Every article I have seen states the contrary.
Even so... that isn't the important point here.

No one is keeping their children from them. First of all those children are free to go to the country where the parents reside
anytime the parents want them to. If this is a separated marriage, the spouses are free to go to the countries as well.

Second, this isn't the "majority" of refugees as you make it sound. These are "illegal aliens" that haven't been documented
and vetted yet. Why don't they simply "get legal" then they can live here with their children if that's what they desire.

If an American citizen who has children commits a crime, he goes to jail or prison. He doesn't get to be with his family
for (months, years, decades). It is the price he pays for "being illegal". Why should a "non-citizen" not abide by this as
well? Why should a non-citizen abide by different rules and laws than the citizens who pay taxes here?

B-A-C

I like you. And I respect you. This is not an academic conversation. I will not debate any “finer” points of right or wrong here — there are none. You are completely at your leave to do, or not do, as you see fit.

I would ask you to ponder, though (I honestly have no interest in knowing the inner workings of your own private conscience), is your response to this issue BECAUSE of your faith in Jesus? In spite of your faith in Jesus? Are are you finding a way to harmonize your understanding of Christian principles with an opinion of which you are already convinced?

Staff Member
Greetings,

Friendly atheist here.

I’ve been an occasional participant at TJF for a few years and I have always been glad to find a community of thoughtful, enthusiastic and overwhelmingly kind people. I never bring up politics or current events unless they offer some clear springboard into an exploration of Christian belief and principles.

Americans (I know this is an international crowd): Yesterday Attorney General Jefferson Sessions had the gall to hijack and cherry pick the Christian Bible in cowardly justification of his own immoral policy. He yoked scripture to the defense of the US government’s barbaric new “zero tolerance” policy in the treatment of migrants taken into custody along our southern border.

Innocent children, from infants to adolescents, are being separated from their families to be interned in a disgusting hodgepodge of ad hoc refugee housing.

He said, “I would cite you to the Apostle Paul and his clear and wise command in Romans 13, to obey the laws of the government because God has ordained the government for his purposes.”

This outrageous, craven bid to shield a manifestly monstrous policy under the aegis of the VERY SAME CHAPTER of scripture that articulates the inherently Christian, and inherently human, duty to, “Love your neighbor as yourself,” is beneath contempt.

Usually I am happy to discuss and explore the meanings and implications of these very verses. That is not my purpose today. Today, frightened, landless, vulnerable mothers in US custody, many of whom do not speak English, MOST of whom are devout Christians, are being ripped away and separated from their children. And the government explicitly states the purpose of this deliberate program of cruelty is to horrify foreigners into not seeking sanctuary here.

If you are an American, I urge you; I beseech you; I implore you... Call, email AND snail
mail your government representatives and demand an end to this reprehensible and wantonly draconian violation of human rights. Then, dwell for a time on something, ANYthing else you might additionally do to halt this revolting betrayal of human decency.

If you are a US citizen, anything the Federal government does it does in your name and on your behalf. PLEASE join me, and all Americans of conscience, in resisting complicity in this foul crime.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wa...-in-defense-of-separating-immigrant-families/

Like you, i prefer to not get into political do's and don'ts for whatever reason. (i noticed my spellcheck doesn't like the word : don'ts !) and as you probably know by now, if anyone will get stuck into you for anything you write here, it is likely to be me! However, I see your compassion reaching out here and commend you for being brave enough to stand up and ask that others raise a voice to do something on behalf of the families involved, especially the children.

I have copied your OP to the News Stand,
Bible Abused to Justify Evil - Again

Bless you ....><>

Greetings,

Like you, i prefer to not get into political do's and don'ts for whatever reason. (i noticed my spellcheck doesn't like the word : don'ts !) and as you probably know by now, if anyone will get stuck into you for anything you write here, it is likely to be me! However, I see your compassion reaching out here and commend you for being brave enough to stand up and ask that others raise a voice to do something on behalf of the families involved, especially the children.

I have copied your OP to the News Stand,
Bible Abused to Justify Evil - Again

Bless you ....><>

Thank you, Br. Bear. Most sincerely.