• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Being led by the Holy Spirit

Simple question: How do we learn to discern and recognize the voice/instruction/direction/advice of the Holy Spirit in our daily walk with the Lord?

A very commonly asked question too. So brothers and sisters, if there are already answers out there (whether on this forum or some other web page), then just posting the link will be fine too. Thanks.

P.S. I'm really trying to search for a good resource that deals with this.

Active

RJ

Simple question: How do we learn to discern and recognize the voice/instruction/direction/advice of the Holy Spirit in our daily walk with the Lord?

A very commonly asked question too. So brothers and sisters, if there are already answers out there (whether on this forum or some other web page), then just posting the link will be fine too. Thanks.

P.S. I'm really trying to search for a good resource that deals with this.

From your question and my perspective a person would first have to have to confirm that they have been saved. You should know from the actions that you took, something similar to the actions in Romans 10: 8-13.

Second it should be apparent that you have had a change in heart, sometimes refered to as heart knowledge and not head knowledge. I like to explain it that you have this new sense knowing God rather than just knowing of God. Also, something like 2 Corinthians 5:17 should be coming apparent. Also the feeling found a verse from "Amazing Grace" should start to be realized:

"How precious did that Grace appear the hour I first believed."

These are all indications that you have been saved and therefore have the Holy Spirit residing inside you and this is the only way you can
"learn to discern and recognize the voice/instruction/direction/advice of the Holy Spirit in our daily walk with the Lord"

And your good source to research this is the Bible. There are 3 things that are of most importance: You, the Bible and the Holy Spirit!

My off-the-cuff answer is "Practice, Practice, Practice!" Jn 14:15-17 confirms that the Spirit will be with true Christ Followers beginning with the moment they receive Jesus as Lord and Savior. The Spirit is our Counselor and, as such, desires to communicate with us. The "Practice, Practice, Practice" comes through patiently asking Him to speak and training ourselves to be quiet in our minds and listen.

SLE

Agood guide to recognising Holy Spirit guidance is this:
He will never contradict God's Holy Scripture, so if the "guidance" you are receiving is contrary to Bible, forget it

My off-the-cuff answer is "Practice, Practice, Practice!" Jn 14:15-17 confirms that the Spirit will be with true Christ Followers beginning with the moment they receive Jesus as Lord and Savior. The Spirit is our Counselor and, as such, desires to communicate with us. The "Practice, Practice, Practice" comes through patiently asking Him to speak and training ourselves to be quiet in our minds and listen.

SLE
Its also been my experience that sometimes, though He speak softly, The Spirit is like a pesky fly on a hot summer day in that He can't be chased away; He will pester me and pester me until I give in and pay attention.

SLE

A good guide to recognising Holy Spirit guidance is this:
He will never contradict God's Holy Scripture, so if the "guidance" you are receiving is contrary to Bible, forget it

I like what Macca says, and that is bang on. The Holy Spirit will ALWAYS do what is right according to scripture, as well the Holy Spirit is peaceful :)
What I do, is invite the holy spirit in. Just simply sit down, pray and invite the holy spirit to be with you today, and all days. Sometimes Christian music is nice as well. Once you figure out how to invite the holy spirit in, you can remain in the spirit. Just don't greave the spirit. Praising the Lord Jesus Christ seems to help as well, at least with myself :)

God Bless You

Last edited:
Loyal
I like what Macca says, and that is bang on. The Holy Spirit will ALWAYS do what is right according to scripture, as well the Holy Spirit is peaceful :)
What I do, is invite the holy spirit in. Just simply sit down, pray and invite the holy spirit to be with you today, and all days. Sometimes Christian music is nice as well. Once you figure out how to invite the holy spirit in, you can remain in the spirit. Just don't greave the spirit. Praising the Lord Jesus Christ seems to help as well, at least with myself :)

God Bless You

Amen. In fact usually he is just directing us, or remind of us of something we already have learned. John 14:26

One of my experiences with following the Holy Spirit is that while driving down a city road with intentions of going on my route the Lord spoke and said turn left. I thought about it and kept going straight, I began to get edgy he spoke again "I said turn left". I thought O that's not the Lord then suddenly I got more than just edgy, then He said it again at the third intersection, " I said turn left" I was mad and had started to cursing. I did eventually turn left; when I did my peace returned to me. So I followed the voice for about 12 blocks up the way and ran into an old friend who was walking with great despair on his face. I pulled over and told him to get in. After we talked for a bit he seemed better and told me that he was really down and out and was thinking of committing suicide. After a little talk I told him how the Lord had led me there. We both parted restored to the Joy of the Lord.

So at times the Lord will allow you to become agitated with disobedience to his voice as well. A terrible way to learn to be led of the Lord but Jesus learned obedience by things that he suffered as well. Col 3.6 For which things' sake the wrath of God comes on the children of disobedience:
[h=3]Heb 5. 8 Though he were a Son, yet learned he obedience by the things which he suffered;[/h] 9 And being made perfect,

Agood guide to recognising Holy Spirit guidance is this:

This is knee jerk answer that everyone gives. What about when the Lord speaks to me about a new car or new job?

"If its not in the bible, then it can't be God." Doh!

When the Holy Spirit told Peter to kill and eat the unclean animals he saw in the vision, he responded biblically and got it wrong!

Why do we presume that the Holy Spirit only speaks about bible stuff. Is that all there is to life?
We need to widen our search to understand the real answer to the original post.

SLE

Ah, a breath of fresh air! Thank you for good simple sense. If we start with the premise that God most definitely wants to speak with us, we will be on the right road.

How does a little child learn to understand its mother. Practice, practice, practice. Never ever ending practice. Experiment experiment experiment, being comforted by a mother who desperately wants clear communion with her offspring.

A little child doesn't start learning anything by checking with a handbook!

As a child of non christian parents, I first heard God speak to me alone in my bedroom. This was many years before I ever heard the gospel or read a bible. I took what God said to heart and believed him. In my mid 20s I was collared by evangelists. I at first rejected what they were saying, and then realised that they were talking about the one I had already known from childhood.

God speaks in which we can listen to him,which means His voice so clear than we ever imagin it be.In job 33:14"For God speaketh once, yea twice, yet man perceiveth it not."
God has spoken to me many time in many ways.Remeber God is always speaking through his Written word.
Holy Spirit Speaks through our Spirtual Man who is created in the very image of God,because the natural man is not and cannot able to hear the voice of God,therefore in order to hear the voice of God our spirit has to grow towards God himself through prayers and studying the word of God.Because God always wait for the right and hearable moment to speak...like he did speak to Job after everyone spoken.What I am saying is voice that surrounds you has to be calm which mean before God speaks to someone He stop anything that surrounded us and hidder the voice of God.
So Pray that God can open your spirtual ears so that you can hear him.

John 10:
4 And when he putteth forth his own sheep, he goeth before them, and the sheep follow him: for they know his voice. 5 And a stranger will they not follow, but will flee from him: for they know not the voice of strangers.

hearing his voice.

John 10:
4 And when he putteth forth his own sheep, he goeth before them, and the sheep follow him: for they know his voice. 5 And a stranger will they not follow, but will flee from him: for they know not the voice of strangers.

To continue from revbrad's post. I agree with this scripture, but would like to add my experience in learning from it.

But before I start, I want to say that I have lived my spiritual life, for perhaps 50 years, with the joy of knowing amazing guidance from the voice of the Lord. Everything from the very first started, and has always continued, with his voice followed by my free choice to respond.
The notion of just turning up at church on a Sunday and going through the routine of the service, and doing the same next week gives me the shivers. I need to be in relationship with the Lord, and that is a two way street. It has been astoundingly exciting and adventurous. There are however also many times when I hear little or nothing of significance for weeks or months. The wilderness is well known to me.

When I was a new believer, I was constantly told, "my sheep hear my voice". I hated it because I was certain that if God ever spoke to me, I never heard a peep. This made me feel rejected, a second class Christian, and a total failure. Then as the Lord dealt with me, a deeper understanding of this verse started to creep in.

Sheep may certainly know the voice of the shepherd, but have you ever known a sheep who speaks English? Knowing the sound of the shepherd is a long way from comprehending the words coming out of the shepherd's mouth.

The same is true for a small baby. A baby has listened to the sound of its mother's voice for 9 months. Does the baby understand English yet? No!

So what does this verse mean? As an older and hopefully wiser believer now, I have kept sheep for some time and have been a father to children who have grown up and left home. (The sheep didn't leave home. We ate them, or at least some of them!)

In both cases, however, it was the sound of the voice which gave peace, long before the words. This is an inarguable fact. It is the sound which indicates the present of the shepherd or mother. It is that sound of the voice which brings peace, safety and security. It is, the peace of God which passes all our understanding. Phil4v7

As a new believer in the 70s I expected to hear God speak, with my natural ears just like any other human voice speaks. It never happened. (here I have to say that there are a number of critical occasions when God has spoken with as much clarity as a human voice.)
Before we learn to understand the words, we need to recognise the very presence of the living God. Our hearts are generally too hard and calloused to receive anything clear from God unless it enters surreptitiously. By this, I mean that we can spend fruitless agonies trying to extract something from the Lord, and then when we give up, its like He sometimes slips a word in, when our defenses are down.

Before I learned to comprehend the words God was aiming at me, I learned to understand what I believe is one of the most important scriptures. Col3v15. And let the peace of God rule in your heart to the which also you are called in one body, and be you thankful.
The word "rule" in the original Greek means a measure or umpire.
In other words, we should conduct our lives according to the guidance of letting God's peace, or lack of it be the measure for our actions. Even with no word ever heard from God, this is a most amazing safety measure. I suspect that some might be offended by this, bit I have actually driven through a strange town, turning left or right according to the peace of God I felt. I arrived after several false turns and returns, exactly at the unknown location and people that God was taking me to. It was like a game of hot and cold with the Holy Spirit.
However God's peace, a peace which passes all our understanding can only be had when we dwell in a place of surrender to his reign. This is the one and only true "Kings Peace".
To avoid making this comment too big I shall post an example in a following post.

Last edited:
Following my last comment, here is an example of God's peace at work as a way of knowing His voice.
(This story is slightly abbreviated)
The Saturday before Christmas, I was driving home through flood water. I had been this way several times before, so had no real concern. The water was about 12" deep and still below the floor level. I was crawling slowly through the water when suddenly the engine stopped dead with a lurch. I instantly knew with dread what had happened. It was a diesel engine and somehow it had sucked water into the air intake, which is almost certain death to a diesel. Water ingestion causes a hydraulic lock on the pistons probably writing off the engine and the car. For the briefest of moments I was angry with myself for being stupid, and then I turned straight to the Lord and an overwhelming peace descended in my heart, and I knew that God already had it sorted. All I had to do was abide in that peace and He would deliver salvation in his way.

I have to add here that I am currently in fairly dire circumstances. (And this is NOT a begging letter! LOL) In the course of obeying God, my wife and I are in the wilderness and I have lost everything, business, home, and reputation, so the idea of replacing the car was financially impossible. Nevertheless, for most of my Christian life since the 70s I have known that the peace of God always trumps all circumstances no matter what.
So I was able to enjoy the presence of the Lord whilst stuck in the middle of a flooded road in a now deceased car. Thankfully a friendly 4x4 driver gave me a tow home.

I was ok for transport on a temporary basis because I was looking after a friend's car which had to be returned at the end of January. Unfortunately, I also had an enormous amount of income tax paperwork related to business which I knew would take most of the month up to the deadline of the 31st of January. I desperately hoped that whilst I still had the use of another car, I might have some time to fix my car. Unfortunately, my tax accounts proved very burdensome, yet every time my mind turned to the car problem, the peace of God descended. And always remember, God's peace has no connection with our understanding! Provided He is always on the throne of our heart, we can have amazing peace even when the circumstances are awful.

I finally got my tax return dispatched the evening before the deadline, also the evening before I had to drive 500 miles to return my friend's car. There was therefore no possibility of even looking at my car, never mind fixing it. Praise God for his peace, I knew God has it sorted some way.

The next morning as I was about to start the drive north, my phone rang. It was a prophetic brother I have known for years, but lives a long way from me, so we talk only occasionally.
"How are things going", he asked.
"Just a bit fraught, but otherwise fine", was my reply.
His very next words. "Do you want my car?"
I was shocked, "what do you mean?"
"Do you want my car?"
"I'm sorry, but what do you mean"
"DO. YOU. WANT. MY. CAR?" He shouted down the phone.
By this time I was laughing and laughing, and my friend was trying to get sense from me. It took me a while to explain that my car had expired and that day was the final day of my loan car.
God's peace can answer many more things than mere words alone. Throughout the 6 weeks of my car trouble, all I had known was the peace that passes all understanding. I had thought that God would perhaps show me how to take the engine apart and fix it, but God had other things up his sleeve.

After collecting my new car, I finally got around to checking mine. There was a big hole in an air intake duct which stupidly was fixed below the engine level. As I had driven through the flood, it had hoovered up enough water to seize up the engine. I had to scrap it.
My new car was the same year and model as the one I broke, but in much better condition!

Last edited:
After collecting my new car, I finally got around to checking mine. There was a big hole in an air intake duct which stupidly was fixed below the engine level. As I had driven through the flood, it had hoovered up enough water to seize up the engine. I had to scrap it.
My new car was the same year and model as the one I broke, but in much better condition!

For years I have leaned heavily on this verse and God has responded in great measure: "I was young and now I am old, yet I have never seen the righteous forsaken or their children begging bread" (Ps 37:25)

SLE

On the objective side, the Spirit leads by the facts in the Bible and circumstances (open or closed doors).
On the subjective side, the Spirit leads mainly by the experience of the presence of the Lord, which brings His peace (e.g. Abraham and Moses were led by the presence of the Lord).

One example is Paul in his travels..the apostle Paul had open doors to preach the gospel (objective opportunity), but he followed the inner leading of his spirit to go to a difference place instead. (2 Cor 2:12-13). An open door does not mean God wants you to walk through it. Look for the objective leading, but do not neglect the subjective also. Both must agree with each other. A subjective experience does not override the objective either. For example, you may have peace to leave your wife and marry another. But this peace is not from God because the bible does not permit this except in special circumstance. This peace may be from your own heart that is deceived.

God also leads by dreams, visions, and His speaking through other people but in these matters follow the objective and subjective leadings as above.

As a Christian, God expects you to be led by His Spirit in your spirit.. not your mind, not your opinion, not your will, not your feelings, not what seems right, not what others are doing, not what other people say. God wants you to worship Him in spirit and truth. He expects that you will know Him in spirit. If you expect to be led by external means (an audible voice), you will be disappointed. This is how God led people in the Old Testament - the Spirit could not live within them. But now the Spirit dwells in you. You already know Him because He came to live in you when you received Christ as Lord and Savior. He is often speaking to you, the problem is you are not always listening. He is the one who warned you about the truck around the corner when you were driving on the road... and the one who is telling you to "go pray now". Remember the Holy Spirit and your spirit are one. It is often hard to distinguish them. When the Spirit speaks to you, He will speak in your spirit, and depending upon whether or not you are living and walking in the spirit by regular prayer and fellowship with the Lord, depends upon whether your soul (mind, emotions and will), hears what the Spirit is speaking in your spirit. Sometimes God's voice will seem like your own thoughts, they are sometimes hard to distinguish. Generally God's voice in your thoughts comes stronger and a number of times (is persistent). God called the boy Samuel a few times... if God wants your attention He will get it, even if He has to repeat Himself.

Last edited:
Remember the Holy Spirit and your spirit are one. It is often hard to distinguish them. When the Spirit speaks to you, He will speak in your spirit, and depending upon whether or not you are living and walking in the spirit by regular prayer and fellowship with the Lord, depends upon whether your soul (mind, emotions and will), hears what the Spirit is speaking in your spirit. Sometimes God's voice will seem like your own thoughts, they are sometimes hard to distinguish. Generally God's voice in your thoughts comes stronger and a number of times (is persistent). God called the boy Samuel a few times... if God wants your attention He will get it, even if He has to repeat Himself.

this is not my experience, when the Holy Spirit speaks to me it produces a quickening of the heart, and my spirit inside my body may even be pulled to one side, (imagine God pulling you out of the bed in the morning, but its spiritual not a physical feeling.)
Sometimes Jesus speaks to me through my spirit, and it sounds like me, but i know that its not me, the words flow without my mind thinking, but so far only when I need to speak those words He gave me to someone, does He speak to me in that way.
most of the time Jesus speaks to me in a Voice without a voice; that can be described as thoughts, but most of the time i can identify the author of my thoughts, either me or something else injecting them.
and yes He will repeat Himself until i do it.

so when we talk about feelings, i have had to learn to discern the difference between physical feelings and spiritual feelings.
because your spirit and body are made in the image of God (but your body is corrupted) both are somewhat identical.

one time i woke up in the morning to hearing Jesus speaking to me. clarity was withheld, though i laid in bed wondering if i should write them down. (there was hardly enough time to do so) all i could hear was the words, but i didn't know what was said.
I was praying about it later and Jesus said to me "they are written on your conscience" and i don't recall exactly but something to the effect of "in time I will tell you"

Last edited:
There are three voices : us, God and the devil. The mind is like a sponge, it holds whatever is put into it from within us or outside of us. We should learn to align our thoughts with God's thoughts, so they are not two voices but one. This is as Paul expressed that he prays with his spirit and his mind at the same time:
1 Cor 14:15 So what shall I do? I will pray with my spirit, but I will also pray with my mind; I will sing with my spirit, but I will also sing with my mind.
This is to be renewed in the mind (Eph 4:23), and the result is that we will have the mind of Christ 1 Cor 2:16.
Initially we may be aware of the three voices, and learn to listen to God and reject the others. But over time as our mind is more renewed our thoughts becomes more aligned with Christ's thoughts, and we won't need to spend as much effort to discern between different voices.
Spiritually we are joined to the Lord, and He desires that our soul (mind, emotion, will) also be joined to the Lord.