• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Be Happy With What You Have

Administrator
Staff Member
Be Happy With What You Have - January 07, 2006

"You shall not covet your neighbor's wife. You shall not set your desire on your neighbor's house or land, his manservant or maidservant, his ox or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor." Deuteronomy 5:21
As the above Bible verse conveys, we should be content with what we have and not covet those things our neighbor has that we do not.
Why do you think this is?

Of course God wants us to reach higher and make the best life for ourselves, but what 'we' may regard as 'the best' is not always what God holds as important. For example, we may love our spouse, but yet we might compare them to our attractive neighbor, or to the lady at the grocery store, or perhaps the man on the cover of the sports magazine. "If only my wife lost thirty pounds, then we'd have a better relationship," you may say. Or you might think, "How much happier my life would be if I only had more money!" Or you may say in conversation, "Oh! What I would give to drive one of those fancy European sports cars!"

Once again the question begs to be asked, why some people, rather than count the blessings they already have, instead focus on what they don't have, or what could be bigger and better.

It is nice to want the best things in life, but let us not forget that what God considers important and good are not always the things which hold priority with mankind. Gold, diamonds, furs, fancy cars, big homes and spouses with the bodies of Adonis and Venus hold no relevance to God, or to our walk with God. Certainly God wishes us to be in good health and to prosper, but it is the nourishing and richness of our spirit that matters most to God.

Today, won't you consider placing material and shallow things to the wayside, and ask God to instead bestow upon your heart the desire to richly feed your spirit?

Contributed by Melanie Schurr

A big amen Chad! Thanks for this thread.

Matthew 6:19-21
19*“Don’t store up treasures here on earth, where they can be eaten by moths and get rusty, and where thieves break in and steal. 20*Store your treasures in heaven, where they will never become moth-eaten or rusty and where they will be safe from thieves. 21*Wherever your treasure is, there your heart and thoughts will also be.

Count your blessings :note: name them one by one . . .Count your blessings, :note: see what God has done. . . :note: Count your blessings, :note: name them one by one . . . :note: Count your many blessings, See what God has done :note: :love: Thank you for the devo this morning Chad :love:

The Baptism of the Lord (Feast)

First Reading:
Psalm:
Second Reading:
Gospel:
Isaiah 42:1-4, 6-7
Psalm 29:1-4, 3, 9-10
Acts 10: 34-38
Mark 1:7-11

Regarding Baptism, baptize as follows: after first explaining all these points, baptize in the name of the Father and of the Son and of hte Holy Spirit, in running water.

Prayer for Preparation for Mass

Prayer of St. Ambrose

Lord, Jesus Christ, I approach your banquet table in fear and trembling, for I am a sinner, and dare not rely on my own worth but only on your goodness and mercy. I am defiled by many sins in body and soul, and by my unguarded thoughts and words. Gracious God of majesty and awe, I seek your protection, I look for your healing, poor troubled sinner that I am, I appeal to you, the fountain of all mercy. I cannot bear your judgment, but I trust in your salvation. Lord, I show my wounds to you and uncover my shame before you. I know my sins are many and great, and they fill me with fear, but I hope in your mercies, for they cannot be numbered. Lord Jesus Christ, eternal King, God and man, crucified for mankind, look upon me with mercy and hear my prayer, for I trust in you. Have mercy on me, full of sorrow and sin, for the depth of your compassion never ends. Praise to you, saving sacrifice, offered on the wood of the cross for me and for all mankind. Praise to the noble and precious blood, flowing from the wounds of my crucified Lord Jesus Christ and washing away the sins of the whole world. Remember, Lord, your creature, whom you have redeemed with your blood. I repent my sins, and I long to put right what I have done. Merciful Father, take away all my offenses and sins; purify me in body and soul, and make me worthy to taste the holy of holies. May your body and blood, which I intend to receive, although I am unworthy, be for me the remission of my sins, the washing away of my guilt, the end of my evil thoughts, and the rebirth of my better instincts. May it incite me to do the works pleasing to you and profitable to my health in body and soul, and be a firm defense against the wiles of my enemies.
Amen.