• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

back to (school)profanity

so after my winter break was over, i went back to school, and i have to say i cant help to keep straight with the profanity around me, its itching me so bad. and with them cursing around me, it gives me the urge to curse to, how do i prevent this

Active
I am surrounded by lots of pagans who love to curse, make lude jokes, and so on and so forth. It can definitely wear on a person. But, they don't know any better to a certain extent because they don't know God. So, I love them anyway.

1 Corinthians 10
13 No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.​

You can't always control who you have to be around. But, you do have control over who you make friends with and who you let influence you. Bad company corrupts good morals. But, we do have the armor of God!

Ephesians 6
13 Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand firm. 14 Stand therefore, having fastened on the belt of truth, and having put on the breastplate of righteousness, 15 and, as shoes for your feet, having put on the readiness given by the gospel of peace. 16 In all circumstances take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming darts of the evil one; 17 and take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God, 18 praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. To that end keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints,​

Put that armor on! If you don't know exactly how to do that, you just need to ask our friend who sometimes goes by the name Paraclete to help you. I can tell you some more about him if you'd like! = )

Peace brother,

Travis

Active
please tell me about him

I was hoping you'd say that.

The Paraclete is the Holy Spirit.

Long story short, there are three persons whom make up the Godhead: The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. You probably know this already though. Jesus, while walking amongst us in the flesh, on this planet, told us this:

John 14
12 "Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever believes in me will also do the works that I do; and greater works than these will he do, because I am going to the Father. 13 Whatever you ask in my name, this I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 If you ask me anything in my name, I will do it. 15 "If you love me, you will keep my commandments. 16 And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Helper, to be with you forever, 17 even the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees him nor knows him. You know him, for he dwells with you and will be in you. 18 "I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you. 19 Yet a little while and the world will see me no more, but you will see me. Because I live, you also will live.

The Helper (Paraclete) is the Spirit of truth. The world cannot receive him because it neither sees him nor knows him, he is foreign to them. When someone is born again though, the Holy Spirit comes into their spirit and does a mighty work. When he comes he seals that person until the day of redemption (When Jesus Christ returns). That seal is unbreakable. The Holy Spirit is our helper and our comforter, he opens up our understanding to the things of God, to be able to understand who God is. He is our connection to the Godhead, and through him, Christ dwells in us.

The Holy Spirit dwells in my spirit. My body is a temple, in which he resides. All of us together as believers make up a temple as well, in which the Holy Spirit resides. Sometimes, when I have done something wrong, I can literally feel the Holy Spirit in me being grieved and it feels absolutely terrible. Other times, the Holy Spirit will move in me and I will be just filled to the brim with joy and peace. Jesus said this:

Luke 11
9 And I tell you, ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. 10 For everyone who asks receives, and the one who seeks finds, and to the one who knocks it will be opened. 11 What father among you, if his son asks for a fish, will instead of a fish give him a serpent; 12 or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion? 13 If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will the heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!"​

The Greek tense there in verse nine means, "keep on asking," and "keep on seeking." If you seek the Lord with all your heart, you are bound to find him, because he will reveal himself to you.

Jesus also said this though:

Luke 14
25 Now great crowds accompanied him, and he turned and said to them, 26 "If anyone comes to me and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be my disciple. 27 Whoever does not bear his own cross and come after me cannot be my disciple. 28 For which of you, desiring to build a tower, does not first sit down and count the cost, whether he has enough to complete it? 29 Otherwise, when he has laid a foundation and is not able to finish, all who see it begin to mock him, 30 saying, 'This man began to build and was not able to finish.' 31 Or what king, going out to encounter another king in war, will not sit down first and deliberate whether he is able with ten thousand to meet him who comes against him with twenty thousand? 32 And if not, while the other is yet a great way off, he sends a delegation and asks for terms of peace. 33 So therefore, any one of you who does not renounce all that he has cannot be my disciple.​

We have to be willing to give up everything to follow Christ. We may not end up having to actually give up everything we have, but we have to be willing, because we will be tested to see if we are genuine or not. Christ is able to give you genuine faith though. And this too is through his Holy Spirit.

Blessings,

Travis