• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Avoid the Snare to Compare

Loyal
Because of my sports background, I can be very competitive. It’s easy for me to compare myself with others to determine my value in life.

Dad saw this tendency in me at an early age. I’m sure that’s why he took me aside and said, “Son, be very careful. Try to avoid the snare to compare.”

Dad knew that I would always encounter people who were more athletically gifted, aggressive, or smarter than I am. He understood that for me to compare myself with others could only produce two results – and both of them are negative.

Either I’ll become prideful because I am better than another person. Or I’ll become envious because I’m not better.

Because of Dad’s wise counsel, I’ve slowly learned contentment (Philippians 4:11-12). My identity is not found in comparing myself with others, but solely in the fact that Jesus loves me. I am his child.

Therefore, the opinions of others don’t matter much to me.

Thank you, Dad!

By Pastor David Chadwick

Loyal
The OP mentions specifically comparing ourselves with those seemingly better than us but let us not forget the other direction... that of those that seemingly are worse.

This verse also fits into this subject:

"For we dare not make ourselves of the number, or compare ourselves with some that commend themselves: but they measuring themselves by themselves, and comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise." II Cor 10:12

Active
He understood that for me to compare myself with others could only produce two results – and both of them are negative.

Hi @Dave M i think there is a positive side of it also, it depends of how we take the results of it :smile: like if we take it to improved ourselves i think that’s a good thing to be a better person because learning doesn’t comes only through experience right, we can also learn through other people.

P.s ( anyway this is just my IMO )
Bless you. Strolling some post while on holiday (-_-)

Loyal
Hi @Dave M i think there is a positive side of it also, it depends of how we take the results of it :smile: like if we take it to improved ourselves i think that’s a good thing to be a better person because learning doesn’t comes only through experience right, we can also learn through other people.

P.s ( anyway this is just my IMO )
Bless you. Strolling some post while on holiday (-_-)

great point !!