• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Attending Church, what if I can't?

Active
Hi Brothers and Sisters,
I was wondering, what is the situation if someone is unable to attend church meetings and Worship?
Are Websites like this be enough to fulfill your promise to Our Lord to spend time with our family, as in attending church congregation, mixing and Worshiping with our Brothers and Sisters in person?
Thank you.

Active
There is only one verse in the Bible about not forsaking the gathering together. It is not a commandment to gather weekly, monthly, or whatever. It simply says do not
forsake assembling. Be careful that you do not substitute assembly with others for your own personal relationship with him. So however you assemble is fine. Whether it is 2 or 20,000 doesn't matter if it is simply gathering to worship the Lord.
Also if you follow Pauls ministry he spent more time in the desert and in jail than any other that I know of, and claims that he was not taught by any man but by the Lord
himself, which is exactly what John tells us should be happening in....
1 John 2:26-27 "These things have I written unto you concerning THEM THAT SEDUCE YOU. But the
anointing(Holy Ghost) which ye have received of him abideth IN YOU, and ye NEED NOT THAT A MAN SHOULD TEACH YOU: but as the same anointing teacheth
you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as IT HATH TAUGHT YOU, ye shall abide in him."

Thus we have 2 witnesses to the teaching of the gospel by the Holy Ghost to the elect of God.

I would think it hard to assemble together if you were in jail as Paul, or exiled on the Isle of Patmos as John, in any normal repeating pattern of days or weeks.
Indeed Paul usually said he would come to visit if the Lord be willing.

The pleasure of the Lord is to teach his children his secrets. Do not spoil his pleasure by learning possible truth from any other than him. Unlearning a lie is harder
than learning the truth in the first place.

My example is a little child playing hide and seek with a parent and the joy that both get out of the interaction, it's personal and loving. Let him love and teach you.
Let him reveal his secrets to you as it will be the truth and no lie. And you will come to know him better.

Then when the time comes to gather you will know those who do not know your Father or the Lord Jesus and thus avoid the seducers.

Loyal
Hi Brothers and Sisters,
I was wondering, what is the situation if someone is unable to attend church meetings and Worship?
Are Websites like this be enough to fulfill your promise to Our Lord to spend time with our family, as in attending church congregation, mixing and Worshiping with our Brothers and Sisters in person?
Thank you.

Greeting Josephine,

The first thing to understand is, what is the church.

So many people call the building the church, this is not scripturally correct.

The word used as church, for the building, was introduced by the Roman Catholic church, using the word, kuriakon, you will not find this word anywhere in scripture.

It has become common practice to call the building where people come together to pray, worship and give thanks, but it is not scripturally correct, it has been inherited from the Catholic Church.

The only word in scripture used for church is, ekklesia, which is born again, saved believers only, where ever they are in the world.

The ekklesia is saved souls, the body of Christ, that is His Church, it includes, male and female, young and old, of any country and tongue.

Jesus tells us,
Matthew 18:20 (NKJV)
For where two or three are gathered together in My name, I am there in the midst of them.

The ekklesia, the true church, with no denominations, is where ever two or three, or more, saved souls, come together in Jesus Name.

On here, in the street, in someone's home, in a tent, in a car, anywhere.

The corona virus can stop people going to a place of worship, it cannot stop our Lord's church, the ekklesia coming together. PTL.

Every church building could be knocked down or bombed in a war, it will not stop the church, the ekklesia, the born again, coming together in Jesus Name.

Today the denominations worship in a building they call a church, the congregation includes those who are saved, and church goers, who are not saved, lost souls.

When the church, the ekklesia, the born again, comes together in a building, any building, including the kuriakon, they are part of the worldwide church, the worldwide ekklesia, they are spiritual stones of our Lord's true church.

Many things done today are not like the were in the early church, it is important to understand what the ekklesia is and how the RCC introduced the word kuriakon to call a building a church. Kuriakon is not any where in scripture.

Bless you

Loyal
I'm unable to attend worship while we're in lockdown. I'm making do with our church services broadcast on the internet, video chat, and catch up up with people over the phone during the week.

This situation won't last indefinitely.

I'd say that in normal times websites like this are not an adequate replacement for church. We can chat and pray for each other, but there's no system of mutual accountability, no expectation of discipline, and it's not easy to have the close connection of I expect in church fellowship.

That's not a criticism of TalkJesus, or of anyone here, just that this is a different thing to church.

Active
Greeting Josephine,

The first thing to understand is, what is the church.

So many people call the building the church, this is not scripturally correct.

The word used as church, for the building, was introduced by the Roman Catholic church, using the word, kuriakon, you will not find this word anywhere in scripture.

It has become common practice to call the building where people come together to pray, worship and give thanks, but it is not scripturally correct, it has been inherited from the Catholic Church.

The only word in scripture used for church is, ekklesia, which is born again, saved believers only, where ever they are in the world.

The ekklesia is saved souls, the body of Christ, that is His Church, it includes, male and female, young and old, of any country and tongue.

Jesus tells us,
Matthew 18:20 (NKJV)
For where two or three are gathered together in My name, I am there in the midst of them.

The ekklesia, the true church, with no denominations, is where ever two or three, or more, saved souls, come together in Jesus Name.

On here, in the street, in someone's home, in a tent, in a car, anywhere.

The corona virus can stop people going to a place of worship, it cannot stop our Lord's church, the ekklesia coming together. PTL.

Every church building could be knocked down or bombed in a war, it will not stop the church, the ekklesia, the born again, coming together in Jesus Name.

Today the denominations worship in a building they call a church, the congregation includes those who are saved, and church goers, who are not saved, lost souls.

When the church, the ekklesia, the born again, comes together in a building, any building, including the kuriakon, they are part of the worldwide church, the worldwide ekklesia, they are spiritual stones of our Lord's true church.

Many things done today are not like the were in the early church, it is important to understand what the ekklesia is and how the RCC introduced the word kuriakon to call a building a church. Kuriakon is not any where in scripture.

Bless you

Good morning Brother-Paul,
Thank you so much for all that information. :grinning:
I will endevour to learn it all, paragraph by paragraph.
Writing it down helps for me to understand better and will mull things over.
I hope you have a lovely day and can get out to enjoy the sunshine! :grinning:
Thank you again for your extensive reply and taking time out for me.
I hope you are well.
Stay safe.

Active
There is only one verse in the Bible about not forsaking the gathering together. It is not a commandment to gather weekly, monthly, or whatever. It simply says do not
forsake assembling. Be careful that you do not substitute assembly with others for your own personal relationship with him. So however you assemble is fine. Whether it is 2 or 20,000 doesn't matter if it is simply gathering to worship the Lord.
Also if you follow Pauls ministry he spent more time in the desert and in jail than any other that I know of, and claims that he was not taught by any man but by the Lord
himself, which is exactly what John tells us should be happening in....
1 John 2:26-27 "These things have I written unto you concerning THEM THAT SEDUCE YOU. But the
anointing(Holy Ghost) which ye have received of him abideth IN YOU, and ye NEED NOT THAT A MAN SHOULD TEACH YOU: but as the same anointing teacheth
you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as IT HATH TAUGHT YOU, ye shall abide in him."

Thus we have 2 witnesses to the teaching of the gospel by the Holy Ghost to the elect of God.

I would think it hard to assemble together if you were in jail as Paul, or exiled on the Isle of Patmos as John, in any normal repeating pattern of days or weeks.
Indeed Paul usually said he would come to visit if the Lord be willing.

The pleasure of the Lord is to teach his children his secrets. Do not spoil his pleasure by learning possible truth from any other than him. Unlearning a lie is harder
than learning the truth in the first place.

My example is a little child playing hide and seek with a parent and the joy that both get out of the interaction, it's personal and loving. Let him love and teach you.
Let him reveal his secrets to you as it will be the truth and no lie. And you will come to know him better.

Then when the time comes to gather you will know those who do not know your Father or the Lord Jesus and thus avoid the seducers.
Hi Samson2020!
Thank you so much for all that information which is very apt for what happened to me last night, being tempted by the devil.
I had a very profound experience last night and turned to my Bible for help as it was around 2am and didn't want to disturb anyone by coming downstairs for my laptop.
So what you have told me is of great interest. And will study it well. I have heard that a good place to start is 1 John. Do you think that's a good idea?
I'm excited to learn so much more.
Thank you for helping me.
I hope you have a great day and that you get to spend some time in the sunshine! :grinning:
Take care and stay safe.

Loyal
I'm unable to attend worship while we're in lockdown. I'm making do with our church services broadcast on the internet, video chat, and catch up up with people over the phone during the week.

I'd say that in normal times websites like this are not an adequate replacement for church. We can chat and pray for each other, but there's no system of mutual accountability, no expectation of discipline, and it's not easy to have the close connection of I expect in church fellowship.

That's not a criticism of TalkJesus, or of anyone here, just that this is a different thing to church.

Greetings

Fellowship by what ever means is important, face to face fellowship can never be replaced, we can write and type as much as we want to, we will never communicate as we would face to face. If I read what you say I could mis interpret what you actually meant when you said it, when we type we write a message, and do not get an answer until we have added everything we aim to say and posted the message. Face to face is different, whilst you talk to me, I watch your reactions, how you say it, body language, gestures etc. You may type 3 or 5 paragraphs to me before I read what you have put, but face to face after hearing your first statement I could say hang on a minute brother, or I agree but, or Amen brother. I may even acknowledge without saying a word. That is true fellowship, Jesus went out amongst the people.

But at present it is not possible to meet in groups, so we have fellowship other ways. That said there are many people, profoundly deaf, disabled, bed bound, terminally ill, etc who cannot get to a place of worship in normal times, or are to deaf to hear what is said even with an induction loop system.

God created us and allows for all these things, we can talk and have fellowship anywhere in the world, or across the world from where we are. PTL.

The point of my post above was not that the Internet can provide fellowship we do not need a church, it was to confirm that what we think is a church, ie the building, is not a church at all, not according to scripture. The Roman Catholic Church introduced the word kuriakon to call the building a church, scripture only uses the word ekklesia for Church, and the ekklesia is the body of born again believers.

People say I go to this church or that church, they say 'MY' church is St this or St that or 'MY' church is this name church, come to MY church we do this and that! There are two errors here. One is the building is not scripturally a church, two we do not have a church, is born again we belong to the ekklesia, the Body of Christ, His Church, His bride.

In the early Christian Church, saved souls came together in each others houses for prayer, worship and fellowship. Some may say yes they did but they didn't have a church building! The point is they were saved souls that came together, where ever they came together, they were part of the ekklesia, our Lord's Church.

Buildings built specifically for worship started slowly at first, but increased more from the time of Constantine, when the Church became Roman Catholic, state and church linked! I am sure they sat and discussed what the building should be called in the early years, someone must have said let us call the building the church, I am sure another will have said we do not have a word for church as a building, so they made one, not scriptural, it was Catholic Church created. Most people of that time couldn't read or write, most of the services were in Latin, it was brought in it was accepted, but it is important we know it is cannot be found anywhere in scripture and how it was brought in.

The let us look at the difference between the first Christians and now, as a church. The saved met in each others houses, they were the ekklesia, part of the worldwide ekklesia, the Body of Christ. How does that compare with today. One thing for sure is there are many church (kuriakon) goers, but only a percentage are part of the ekklesia, some are lost souls, and as we know some ministers are not born again. It was never like that that in the early Church.

I am in no way condemning the church today, I do not say Internet is the only way to have fellowship, I like you brother believe face to face fellowship has far more meaning, but it is not always possible, in these times or outside these times.

Scripture is clear, we must be born again, if we are not we are not saved, we will NOT SEE the Kingdom of Heaven, we belong to sin, the world and the devil, we are not part of the True Church, the ekklesia even if we are church goers (kuriakon).

It is important we understand what the True Church is, the ekklesia, and we share that Truth with others.

I have noticed a few changes recently of notice boards outside places of worship, the Spirit is moving...

Some are rightfully stating...
The Church meets here on these dates.
There may still be none believers amongst them but they are making clear, The Church, The Ekklesia, meets here in these dates.

It is them the responsibility of the pastor and the flock to preach The Word... If you are not born again you will not see the Kingdom of Heaven, you must be Born Again, if you are not you are not part of the ekklesia, you are not yet saved.

What happened with the early church is important

Acts 2:46-47
So continuing daily with one accord in the temple (ex-Jews),
and breaking bread from house to house (they were nowChristians, followers of Christ),
they ate their food with gladness and simplicity of heart, praising God and having favor with all the people.
And the Lord added to the church daily those who were being saved.

Church Greek Strongs 1577
Greek Word: ἐκκλησία
Transliteration: ekklēsia
Phonetic Pronunciation:ek-klay-see'-ah
Strong's Talking Greek & Hebrew Dictionary.

An assembly of saved believers, a congregation of born again believers.

Blessings

Loyal
Good morning Brother-Paul,
Thank you so much for all that information. :grinning:
I will endevour to learn it all, paragraph by paragraph.
Writing it down helps for me to understand better and will mull things over.
I hope you have a lovely day and can get out to enjoy the sunshine! :grinning:
Thank you again for your extensive reply and taking time out for me.
I hope you are well.
Stay safe.

God's speed sister.

God wants us to feed on Him in our hearts with thanksgiving and praise.

He does not expect us to eat all of 'His Word' in one go, He knows we wouldn't be able to digest it.

Say the Lord's Prayer sister

Give us this day, our daily bread.

Give us today, the next 24 hours, our daily bread, just enough for today, not for tomorrow or next week.

Why? Because He wants us to return tomorrow. Give us this day, our daily bread.

Isn't our Lord wonderful :love:

Active
Hi Samson2020!
Thank you so much for all that information which is very apt for what happened to me last night, being tempted by the devil.
I had a very profound experience last night and turned to my Bible for help as it was around 2am and didn't want to disturb anyone by coming downstairs for my laptop.
So what you have told me is of great interest. And will study it well. I have heard that a good place to start is 1 John. Do you think that's a good idea?
I'm excited to learn so much more.
Thank you for helping me.
I hope you have a great day and that you get to spend some time in the sunshine! :grinning:
Take care and stay safe.

It doesn't really matter where you start, just start, and digest as much as possible. I would stay in the New testament for first month or so and I'd stay out of Revelation for a while til some concepts have been developed first. Read whole books 2-3 a day, and you will notice puzzle pieces at different places, these are keys. Put them together as
the thoughts come into your mind and the hidden becomes manifest.
Approach the whole as though you are a first grader, don't try high school algebra just yet, you'll get there but everything in it's own time.

Active
It doesn't really matter where you start, just start, and digest as much as possible. I would stay in the New testament for first month or so and I'd stay out of Revelation for a while til some concepts have been developed first. Read whole books 2-3 a day, and you will notice puzzle pieces at different places, these are keys. Put them together as
the thoughts come into your mind and the hidden becomes manifest.
Approach the whole as though you are a first grader, don't try high school algebra just yet, you'll get there but everything in it's own time.
Thank you Samson2020,
I'll do what you've suggested and just get stuck in.
Step by step!
I'm a really slow reader, it takes me ages to read even a chapter because I'm trying to grasp the concept of what I'm reading; I'm not familiar with the way things are written in the Bible, it's like a different language sometimes. It gets pretty complicated in parts and difficult to remember (who's who, the son of the son of the son ;)) . So I have to read things over and over and over sort of thing,very, very frustrating! and I need new glasses! :grinning:
Take care and have a great day!
Thank you!

Active
God's speed sister.

He does not expect us to eat all of 'His Word' in one go, He knows we wouldn't be able to digest it.

Give us today, the next 24 hours, our daily bread, just enough for today, not for tomorrow or next week.

That he is indeed! He saved me. My Saviour, my Lord, my Love and my Life. :love:
Oh wow! I didn't know that had two meanings, brilliant! Thank you.
Taking things step by step, day by day.. I will try my hardest!
That takes the pressure off a bit :).
But then knowing me, I'll still carry on trying to cram in as much as possible every day; for the time being anyway. :joy: With tears running down my face...
I'm sure I'll settle down soon enough, well hopefully I will; start to enjoy it rather than rushing it, trying to gather as much information as possible as quickly as I can.
Thank you again Brother-Paul.

Loyal
That he is indeed! He saved me. My Saviour, my Lord, my Love and my Life. :love:
Oh wow! I didn't know that had two meanings, brilliant! Thank you.
Taking things step by step, day by day.. I will try my hardest!
That takes the pressure off a bit :).
But then knowing me, I'll still carry on trying to cram in as much as possible every day; for the time being anyway. :joy: With tears running down my face...
I'm sure I'll settle down soon enough, well hopefully I will; start to enjoy it rather than rushing it, trying to gather as much information as possible as quickly as I can.
Thank you again Brother-Paul.

It is better to read and understand a little at a time, rather than read a lot and find it confusing. :confounded:

Small bites are always easier to digest. :)

Another good method is to download an App like the You Version Bible, It has a brown bible in the image with Holy Bible words on it. The App includes lots of different topic, many with a devotional message and scripture. It also includes a number of Bible translations so you can choose, it also includes the paly button for scripture so you can sit and listen, listening is very rewarding and allows you to relax, you will often hear things you may mis when reading, either because you are relaxed or the Spirit is prompting you. Scripture say and it is worth noting...

Romans 10:17 (NKJV)
So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Bless you

Active
Does this mean I
God's speed sister.

Brother-Paul,
I have a question from further down this thread, that you said you have to be 'Born Again' to be saved.
I was christened when I was eight years old in the village church. Does that count me in?
Because I don't attend any church right now and with all that's going on I won't be able to get Baptized any time soon.
What should I do?
Thank you.

Active
It is better to read and understand a little at a time, rather than read a lot and find it confusing. :confounded:

Small bites are always easier to digest. :)

Another good method is to download an App like the You Version Bible, It has a brown bible in the image with Holy Bible words on it. The App includes lots of different topic, many with a devotional message and scripture. It also includes a number of Bible translations so you can choose, it also includes the paly button for scripture so you can sit and listen, listening is very rewarding and allows you to relax, you will often hear things you may mis when reading, either because you are relaxed or the Spirit is prompting you. Scripture say and it is worth noting...

Romans 10:17 (NKJV)
So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Bless you
[/QUOTE
Thank you Brother-Paul,
For once my phone worked and downloaded the App just like that!! It's normally the biggest pain! Tried to download the new version on Whats app a million times but no joy, it is an ancient phone though so I suppose it'll work when it wants to..
So I can get stuck in now. Any advice where to start?
Thank you Brother-Paul. Let's hope I can grasp things a little better and a little quicker now!
Here goes!

Loyal
Brother-Paul,
I have a question from further down this thread, that you said you have to be 'Born Again' to be saved.
I was christened when I was eight years old in the village church. Does that count me in?
Because I don't attend any church right now and with all that's going on I won't be able to get Baptized any time soon.
What should I do?
Thank you.

Hope @Brother-Paul doesn't mind me putting my oar in. Here's a scene from the opening of Mark's gospel

As Jesus passed along the Sea of Galilee, he saw Simon and his brother Andrew casting a net into the lake—for they were fishermen. And Jesus said to them, ‘Follow me and I will make you fish for people.’ And immediately they left their nets and followed him. As he went a little farther, he saw James son of Zebedee and his brother John, who were in their boat mending the nets. Immediately he called them; and they left their father Zebedee in the boat with the hired men, and followed him.

It's very simple, yet not at all easy.

The response Jesus looked for from Simon, Andrew, James and John was to set everything in their lives -- family, job, security, home -- in favour of following him. Baptism is important because it's a public sign and statement. The symbolism of going into the water is of dying and being raised to new life. (think of the escape from Egypt through the Red Sea, crossing the Jordan into the promised land, Jonah sinking into the sea and being saved).

Follow Jesus with all you have and all you are today, and the baptism issue will fall into place once our churches start to meet again.

Loyal
Does this mean I

Brother-Paul,
What should I do?
Thank you.

First ask yourself, did you really understand what you were doing, what was happening, what was being said, what scripture says?

Infant christening/baptism does not save the small soul no matter what the minister/pastor says.

The big question only you can answer Josephine is, at the age of eight, did you really know/understand?

Bless you

Loyal
Hope @Brother-Paul doesn't mind me putting my oar in. Here's a scene from the opening of Mark's gospel

As Jesus passed along the Sea of Galilee, he saw Simon and his brother Andrew casting a net into the lake—for they were fishermen. And Jesus said to them, ‘Follow me and I will make you fish for people.’ And immediately they left their nets and followed him. As he went a little farther, he saw James son of Zebedee and his brother John, who were in their boat mending the nets. Immediately he called them; and they left their father Zebedee in the boat with the hired men, and followed him.

The response Jesus looked for from Simon, Andrew, James and John was to set everything in their lives -- family, job, security, home -- in favour of following him. Baptism is important because it's a public sign and statement. The symbolism of going into the water is of dying and being raised to new life. (think of the escape from Egypt through the Red Sea, crossing the Jordan into the promised land, Jonah sinking into the sea and being saved).

Follow Jesus with all you have and all you are today, and the baptism issue will fall into place once our churches start to meet again.

Greeting my friend

I didn't know you were partial to boating as well, (putting your oar in) ;)

Joking aside, I would never see anyone who is trying to help another brother or sister, or searching heart, as one putting an oar in.
Can I say we are all in the same boat, and it is a pleasure and a privilege to be so.

Our dear sister is seeking guidance, that is wonderful, PTL. I felt she was rushing things trying to take in to much at once, in fact she admitted so, we have all been there at some point I am sure. So my replies became, smaller bites, walking and not running, going with the flow.

Please, never feel you are putting your oar in, by the way, two are better than one. :cool:

May the Lord truly Bless her and may He reveal the Truth in The Word to her in a very special way.

Shalom my friend.

Jesus is Lord

Active
First ask yourself, did you really understand what you were doing, what was happening, what was being said, what scripture says?

Infant christening/baptism does not save the small soul no matter what the minister/pastor says.

The big question only you can answer Josephine is, at the age of eight, did you really know/understand?

Bless you
Hi Brother-Paul, I had no idea what any of the Christening was about unfortunately.
Did you see my new post about possession? I was hoping to hear your opinion. The thread is, satan???? Ask the 'community' God said.
I'm a little concerned that my Christening has no real value and there is no way of getting Baptized any time soon with what's going on.
I'm being plagued by evil spirits and I'm getting a bit concerned about it all.
Someone said to contact Deliverance ministry. Diocese of Worcester or search to find one closer to me. Would that be a good idea?
I really would appreciate your thoughts. I'm on my own here, literally. Thank you.

Active

Okay, thank you Hekuran.

Active

Thank you Hekuran for your reply. The sooner I find a church the better :grinning:
Stay safe.