• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Are You Offended by "Merry Christmas"?

Something I read elsewhere got me thinking.

"If you’re not Christian? What if someone said “Happy Hanukkah” and you aren’t Jewish? Or maybe even “Happy Kwanzaa” but you’re not black?
Would any of this offend you? I know plenty of Jewish people who celebrate Christmas. It seems to be the universal holiday, in the United States anyway. So why do people get so offended when a stranger offers them well-being for the season? Personally I’m jealous of Jewish people. They get 8 days to our one, and I love me some latkes.
I’ve thought about this for a while and I’ve come to the conclusion that if I were Jewish and someone said “Merry Christmas” I would just say back to them: “Merry Christmas” (followed with a couple of select words in Hebrew)."
So what do you think?
Would you be offended?

Something I read elsewhere got me thinking.

Would any of this offend you? I know plenty of Jewish people who celebrate Christmas. It seems to be the universal holiday, in the United States anyway. So why do people get so offended when a stranger offers them well-being for the season? Personally I’m jealous of Jewish people. They get 8 days to our one, and I love me some latkes.

I’ve thought about this for a while and I’ve come to the conclusion that if I were Jewish and someone said “Merry Christmas” I would just say back to them: “Merry Christmas” (followed with a couple of select words in Hebrew)."
So what do you think?
Would you be offended?

To answer that question, I will just answer with experience.
When someone at a store says Happy Holidays, I just say
and a Merry Christmas to you! I don't ask why they didn't say
Christmas because to me, it doesn't really offend me. Nor do I
feel like I have to make a rally in front of the store to demand
they say what I want them to say instead of happy holidays. Like I
said in a post earlier, I am not as worried about keeping Christ
in Christmas as I am keeping Christ in Christians.

no I would not

No I would not be offend if you wish me a Merry Christmas. :girl_hug: In fact I would love it to many people are trying to take the Christ out of Chrisstmas so I would love that a lot.

...I will be like the most High.

I would love it to many people are trying to take the Christ out of Chrisstmas
Jesus Christ was never in Christmas; it's a pagan holy day, a winter solstice fertility festival that predates Christianity by thousands of years.

Jesus Christ was never in Christmas; it's a pagan holy day, a winter solstice fertility festival that predates Christianity by thousands of years.

Celebrations around the winter solstice happen in tons of current religions and religions of the past. Christians did the same, took the day and put a name and celebration on it. Christmas is a Christian holiday, it celebrates the birth of Jesus Christ. So Jesus would have to be involved in something that's purpose revolves around Him.

Onto the actual post, no I would not be offended. I do however respect when people say "Happy Holidays". I think it is obscene for anyone to get offended by "Happy Holidays" as well. It's 2011, and we don't belong to the ONLY religious belief in the world. Like I stated above, this day has been claimed over and over again throughout history as a holiday for someones belief. I think that "Happy Holidays" is more respectful than running around saying "Merry Christmas" to everyone we see. Not just because of the fact that not everyone celebrates Christmas, but also because there are several holidays close together. Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years are primary examples. However, it does express what you celebrate when you just say Merry Christmas, and that's always a good thing. The choice is really everyone's own, no reason to be offended. :)

Last edited:
Well God tells us that we do not have to celebrate religious rites, or hold ceremonies, but we can if we wish. And a tree is not an idol, we do not worship the tree, we worship God.

Christmas has always been a man made tradition to celebrate the birth of Jesus and contrary to all the fuss over it that it is a Pagan tradition, in the intent of what its intent is for it is not pagan.

Yes it did become commercialized and values of money and giving gifts overcame the truth of the purpose. That was step one, we are now in step two.

But the thing to be concerned about is it is another nail in the coffin to push God out of life. Let me repeat, it is another way to push God out of daily life. Do not dare you say one word with God or Christ in it or we will punish you.

I walk into a store and the music is playing and there is not one word about God or Christmas, it is now Happy Holiday. We have allowed the immigrants to this country to do as the people of the old Testament did to the Jews. They tolerated this to the point they adopted their culture and turned from God. I see this happening today. We must hold their ways in honor and push God away.

I watch the news people on the T.V. and yes there are many words about the food drives, the homeless shelters and giving but I have not heard one word about God. It is now the Holiday and God is gone.

In has long been illegal to pray or teach about God in our schools, and now it is the same about Christmas. Dare not you say a word about God, or we will punish you.

Consider the truth in what you see in life.

This is my country, I believe in God, if you do not like this, it is tuff. I will not hang my head and accept your way. If you wish to come to my country you do so by my standards, I will not adopt yours. If you do not like it simply leave. That is my answer to the modern way.

Kit

Well God tells us that we do not have to celebrate religious rites, or hold ceremonies, but we can if we wish. And a tree is not an idol, we do not worship the tree, we worship God.

Christmas has always been a man made tradition to celebrate the birth of Jesus and contrary to all the fuss over it that it is a Pagan tradition, in the intent of what its intent is for it is not pagan.

Yes it did become commercialized and values of money and giving gifts overcame the truth of the purpose. That was step one, we are now in step two.

But the thing to be concerned about is it is another nail in the coffin to push God out of life. Let me repeat, it is another way to push God out of daily life. Do not dare you say one word with God or Christ in it or we will punish you.

I walk into a store and the music is playing and there is not one word about God or Christmas, it is now Happy Holiday. We have allowed the immigrants to this country to do as the people of the old Testament did to the Jews. They tolerated this to the point they adopted their culture and turned from God. I see this happening today. We must hold their ways in honor and push God away.

I watch the news people on the T.V. and yes there are many words about the food drives, the homeless shelters and giving but I have not heard one word about God. It is now the Holiday and God is gone.

In has long been illegal to pray or teach about God in our schools, and now it is the same about Christmas. Dare not you say a word about God, or we will punish you.

Consider the truth in what you see in life.

This is my country, I believe in God, if you do not like this, it is tuff. I will not hang my head and accept your way. If you wish to come to my country you do so by my standards, I will not adopt yours. If you do not like it simply leave. That is my answer to the modern way.

Kit

Agreed, those who truly celebrate the purpose of Christmas do not celebrate the tree. They celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ.

Agreed, it is not Pagan.

I agree that it has become more commercialized.

I don't think that it is another way to push God out of our lives, since the modern day celebrations actually attract people to this holiday. Which in turn, causes them to learn about it's origins and purpose. Where are you getting this "being punished" at? o_O

It is very much still Christmas, not every song is about the actual common traditions of Christmas. There are plenty of songs about Jesus Christ that are Christmas themed. A lot of them are actually. I don't see this as God being pushed out of Christmas, but a way to attract people to Christmas. Which in turn (like above states) causes people to investigate Christmas and it's purpose. Immigrants? Your ancestors were immigrants, along with mine. This piece of land wasn't always called the United States. Do not hold them in honor, but give respect to them. In no way is that valuing them over God, or putting them first. We know now that telling people they are wrong, or they are going to burn in hell, etc etc is the wrong way to approach people of opposite faiths. It's time we displayed our faith instead of forcing it onto people, because that doesn't work in the modern day world.

I see things about God around Christmas all the time. Even on the news sometimes they discuss something spiritual. I admit it is probably not as popular as Christians would like, but it is still there today. I think the news takes into account that Christians aren't the only religious group in the world. They need to make news apply to everyone, not just a certain group. It's marketing to be honest. There are certain television channels that are dedicated to Christians as well.

This is not true, it is NOT illegal to pray or teach about Christianity in schools. We can pray anytime we like. You're gonna get in trouble if you interrupt a teacher or get out of your seat when there is a test going on obviously. We can pray at lunch or recess, we can pray on spare time in school. When it comes to teaching about Christianity, it simple isn't in the schedules of schools to do so. The last time I checked, a vast majority of jobs do not judge you based on your religious knowledge. It also would make a lot of proud Muslim or Pagan students and parents really angry. It wouldn't be fair to them, just like it wouldn't be fair to us if we were forced to take a class on Islam. We are not punished for this in a country that has religious freedom and separation of church and state. The teachers doing this are wrong, the schools doing it are not public. They are not justified, under the constitution and federal law.

I am happy to see your pride in your faith, and how you come to it's defense. It is very noble of you. However you have to understand that even though the United States has a Christian foundation and basic morals, it was also built off of freedom and more specific religious freedom. Since you blame the countries true foundations for the struggles of Christianity, maybe you are the one that should simply leave. No offense meant.

the most subtil beast...

"Christmas" is indeed a pagan holy day, co-opted by the establishment religions as per satan's plan. Most folks are far too lazy to research the truth of the matter for themselves. Regardless, born again believers accept the Holy Bible as the final authority in all matters of faith and practice, and It clearly provides the discerning with much information on this topic.

For example, since Christmas is celebrating a "birthday", we should see what the scripture teaches about birthdays. Throughout the entire scripture, there are only 2 birthday celebrations. One was King Herod, who chopped off the head of John the Baptist because of his birthday (Mat.14:6-8). The other one was the Pharaohs', who decided to hang to death his chief baker in celebration of his birthday (Gen.40:20-22). Only unbelievers have celebrated birthdays according to God's Word. The scripture mentions no man of God having ever celebrated a birthday.

Maybe this is why the scripture does not mention when Jesus was born...because we're not suppose to celebrate birthdays, which is a heathen tradition! Birthdays have to do with the celebration of the flesh, and we're not to celebrate Christ in a fleshly manner but in a spiritual way. To a Christian, it is not the first birth from corruptible seed that's important (1 Peter 1:23), but our second birth, when we’re "born again" (John 3:3,7). The 1st birth is of the world, the 2nd of God (John 1:12-13).

Carefully note this point: We cannot possibly please God by setting up our own means of worshipping Him. Paul called worship contrived by man "will worship", and condemned it (Colossians 2:23; read the entire context from 2:8 through 2:23). Jeroboam sinned by instituting a day of atonement which was "like the one feast which is in Judah," the one ordained by God, but on a different day. The inspired text indicts Jeroboam because "he devised in his own heart" a month for a holy day (1 Kings 12:32-33). Even though they were offering incense to the Lord, Nadab and Abihu failed to treat Him as holy because they used fire from a source other than that which was prescribed (Leviticus 10:1-3). They were consumed by fire from the Lord for their transgression.

Christmas is man-made, and therefore an unacceptable means of worship. Worship, by definition, is an act recognizing the one who is worshipped as Lord. If he is Lord, whose Will should prevail? If I dictate the means of worshipping, whose Will prevails? Do you see the point? Worshipping God in my own way is a contradiction. To worship God, I must do so according to His will. What is God’s Will? God's Will is his Law written in our hearts (Psalm 40:8). Jesus said his true family are those who "shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven" (Mat.12:50). Christmas is a tradition, and we don't worship God by following man-made traditions (Mat.15:3,6, Mark 7:7-9,13, Col.2:8). We are to show our love for Jesus by doing what Jesus himself said to do in John 14:15, "If ye love me, keep my commandments" (John 21,24; 15:10,14, James 1:22, Rom.2:13, 1 John 5:2-3). "Holi-day" means "Holy-day", and only one entity can make a day Holy. Did God, or man, make Christmas a Holy-day? If we know that the roots of Christmas are of pagan origin, shouldn't the roots of our worship be in the scriptures, rather than paganism?

Some will argue for the "keeping of Christmas" on the basis of "giving the kiddies a good time." But why do this under the cloak of honoring the Savior's birth? Why is it necessary to drag in His Holy name in connection with what takes place at this season of carnal jollification? As Jesus once asked, in Luke 6:46, "And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?"
We are not punished for this in a country that has religious freedom and separation of church and state.
Anybody that believes that the Law of God and the law of the land are separate, they've deluded themselves. That's not living in the truth, that's living in an image of someone else's idea. Is there any law that man can create which sets the bounds of God's Law?
The teachers doing this are wrong, the schools doing it are not public. They are not justified, under the constitution and federal law.

I am happy to see your pride in your faith, and how you come to it's defense. It is very noble of you. However you have to understand that even though the United States has a Christian foundation and basic morals, it was also built off of freedom and more specific religious freedom.
Obviously, you are not aware that the US Constitution, which does NOT contain the word "God" anywhere in it, bans all religious tests (thus banning God)!

Scripture tells us to test people, to see if they are of God or not.

1 John 4:1, "Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world."

This only makes sense, when one is sincerely interested in associating with godly people, while avoiding the contamination and influence of ungodly men.

The key, however, to the rejection of the rule of God was Article VI, Clause 3, "The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the Members of the several state Legislatures, and all executive and judicial Officers, both of the United States and of the several States, shall be bound by Oath or Affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States."

I advise all to actually r-e-a-d the document of the government to which they have submitted thermselves.

There is no other legitimate purpose for any human action than the advancement of the Kingdom of God. Patriotism (advancing the interests of a political coalition) is wrong; Humanism (advancing your own personal interests) is wrong; Satanism (advancing demonic interests) is wrong. Since all action runs to some purpose, if the purpose is not the building of God's Kingdom, then it is to build a rival Kingdom. There is no neutrality. The State cannot be impartial and non-religious.

Last edited:
"Christmas" is indeed a pagan holy day, co-opted by the establishment religions as per satan's plan. Most folks are far too lazy to research the truth of the matter for themselves. Regardless, born again believers accept the Holy Bible as the final authority in all matters of faith and practice, and It clearly provides the discerning with much information on this topic.

For example, since Christmas is celebrating a "birthday", we should see what the scripture teaches about birthdays. Throughout the entire scripture, there are only 2 birthday celebrations. One was King Herod, who chopped off the head of John the Baptist because of his birthday (Mat.14:6-8). The other one was the Pharaohs', who decided to hang to death his chief baker in celebration of his birthday (Gen.40:20-22). Only unbelievers have celebrated birthdays according to God's Word. The scripture mentions no man of God having ever celebrated a birthday.

Maybe this is why the scripture does not mention when Jesus was born...because we're not suppose to celebrate birthdays, which is a heathen tradition! Birthdays have to do with the celebration of the flesh, and we're not to celebrate Christ in a fleshly manner but in a spiritual way. To a Christian, it is not the first birth from corruptible seed that's important (1 Peter 1:23), but our second birth, when we’re "born again" (John 3:3,7). The 1st birth is of the world, the 2nd of God (John 1:12-13).

Carefully note this point: We cannot possibly please God by setting up our own means of worshipping Him. Paul called worship contrived by man "will worship", and condemned it (Colossians 2:23; read the entire context from 2:8 through 2:23). Jeroboam sinned by instituting a day of atonement which was "like the one feast which is in Judah," the one ordained by God, but on a different day. The inspired text indicts Jeroboam because "he devised in his own heart" a month for a holy day (1 Kings 12:32-33). Even though they were offering incense to the Lord, Nadab and Abihu failed to treat Him as holy because they used fire from a source other than that which was prescribed (Leviticus 10:1-3). They were consumed by fire from the Lord for their transgression.

Christmas is man-made, and therefore an unacceptable means of worship. Worship, by definition, is an act recognizing the one who is worshipped as Lord. If he is Lord, whose Will should prevail? If I dictate the means of worshipping, whose Will prevails? Do you see the point? Worshipping God in my own way is a contradiction. To worship God, I must do so according to His will. What is God’s Will? God's Will is his Law written in our hearts (Psalm 40:8). Jesus said his true family are those who "shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven" (Mat.12:50). Christmas is a tradition, and we don't worship God by following man-made traditions (Mat.15:3,6, Mark 7:7-9,13, Col.2:8). We are to show our love for Jesus by doing what Jesus himself said to do in John 14:15, "If ye love me, keep my commandments" (John 21,24; 15:10,14, James 1:22, Rom.2:13, 1 John 5:2-3). "Holi-day" means "Holy-day", and only one entity can make a day Holy. Did God, or man, make Christmas a Holy-day? If we know that the roots of Christmas are of pagan origin, shouldn't the roots of our worship be in the scriptures, rather than paganism?

Some will argue for the "keeping of Christmas" on the basis of "giving the kiddies a good time." But why do this under the cloak of honoring the Savior's birth? Why is it necessary to drag in His Holy name in connection with what takes place at this season of carnal jollification? As Jesus once asked, in Luke 6:46, "And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?"

Anybody that believes that the Law of God and the law of the land are separate, they've deluded themselves. That's not living in the truth, that's living in an image of someone else's idea. Is there any law that man can create which sets the bounds of God's Law?

Obviously, you are not aware that the US Constitution, which does NOT contain the word "God" anywhere in it, bans all religious tests (thus banning God)!

Scripture tells us to test people, to see if they are of God or not.

1 John 4:1, "Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world."

This only makes sense, when one is sincerely interested in associating with godly people, while avoiding the contamination and influence of ungodly men.

The key, however, to the rejection of the rule of God was Article VI, Clause 3, "The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the Members of the several state Legislatures, and all executive and judicial Officers, both of the United States and of the several States, shall be bound by Oath or Affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States."

I advise all to actually r-e-a-d the document of the government to which they have submitted thermselves.

There is no other legitimate purpose for any human action than the advancement of the Kingdom of God. Patriotism (advancing the interests of a political coalition) is wrong; Humanism (advancing your own personal interests) is wrong; Satanism (advancing demonic interests) is wrong. Since all action runs to some purpose, if the purpose is not the building of God's Kingdom, then it is to build a rival Kingdom. There is no neutrality. The State cannot be impartial and non-religious.

The truth is that Christmas is NOT a pagan tradition or holiday, because it is used to celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ. That is what Christmas is, the idea of it, and what is done by millions of Christians each and every year. This Pagan thing you speak of is 100% false. This might apply to certain traditions during this holiday, but do not apply to the actual holiday. You are GREATLY confusing the difference between worshiping and celebrating. Many people worship God on this day, but the day itself is a celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ to people who have knowledge and/or see it this way. Whatever research you have done is either wrong, opinionated, or bent and twisted into your personal opinion. We apply God and his name to many many things, having a day known day set aside is no different than going to church on Sundays.

You have bent and twisted the constitution and obviously do not understand it, or are using it for the sake of dispute. It in no way is talking about the same kind of testing the bible is talking about, that assumption is absurd. What supports this is the fact that you claim the constitution to be of man, then you claim that it directly denies God, which it does not. It is religious freedom that it symbolizes, and it protects people of all beliefs from being horribly judged and not given their human rights like other more accepted beliefs. Which is very reasonable, and humane. Anything else would be primitive, disrespectful, and wrong due to the fact it would deny people of their modern day human rights and freedom.

Without patriotism, the world that you know now would have never existed. The world would probably be in ruins. You would not be free to practice your faith, you would never know freedom. You would be controlled by someone else from the time you were born until the time that you die. This is all that you would have ever known, and you would have accepted it from birth. Without humanism, we wouldn't be separated from dogs, cats, fish, inspects, or birds. Humankind is a species like no other in this world. We are the only species that will willingly sacrifice our life for another without hesitation. We are a species that can advance technology so greatly in a hundred years that we go from buggies and horses, to getting into space in a time frame of one hundred years. We are an amazing species, capable of doing amazing things, we are not helpless, we are not pathetic, we are crafted in Gods image.

This has drifted way off the topic of the thread, so I am done talking about politics and humankind. This thread is about whether someone would be offended by "Merry Christmas" or not. I'm moving away from this discussion. :)

Agreed, those who truly celebrate the purpose of Christmas do not celebrate the tree. They celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ.

Agreed, it is not Pagan.

I agree that it has become more commercialized.

I don't think that it is another way to push God out of our lives, since the modern day celebrations actually attract people to this holiday. Which in turn, causes them to learn about it's origins and purpose. Where are you getting this "being punished" at? o_O

It is very much still Christmas, not every song is about the actual common traditions of Christmas. There are plenty of songs about Jesus Christ that are Christmas themed. A lot of them are actually. I don't see this as God being pushed out of Christmas, but a way to attract people to Christmas. Which in turn (like above states) causes people to investigate Christmas and it's purpose. Immigrants? Your ancestors were immigrants, along with mine. This piece of land wasn't always called the United States. Do not hold them in honor, but give respect to them. In no way is that valuing them over God, or putting them first. We know now that telling people they are wrong, or they are going to burn in hell, etc etc is the wrong way to approach people of opposite faiths. It's time we displayed our faith instead of forcing it onto people, because that doesn't work in the modern day world.

I see things about God around Christmas all the time. Even on the news sometimes they discuss something spiritual. I admit it is probably not as popular as Christians would like, but it is still there today. I think the news takes into account that Christians aren't the only religious group in the world. They need to make news apply to everyone, not just a certain group. It's marketing to be honest. There are certain television channels that are dedicated to Christians as well.

This is not true, it is NOT illegal to pray or teach about Christianity in schools. We can pray anytime we like. You're gonna get in trouble if you interrupt a teacher or get out of your seat when there is a test going on obviously. We can pray at lunch or recess, we can pray on spare time in school. When it comes to teaching about Christianity, it simple isn't in the schedules of schools to do so. The last time I checked, a vast majority of jobs do not judge you based on your religious knowledge. It also would make a lot of proud Muslim or Pagan students and parents really angry. It wouldn't be fair to them, just like it wouldn't be fair to us if we were forced to take a class on Islam. We are not punished for this in a country that has religious freedom and separation of church and state. The teachers doing this are wrong, the schools doing it are not public. They are not justified, under the constitution and federal law.

I am happy to see your pride in your faith, and how you come to it's defense. It is very noble of you. However you have to understand that even though the United States has a Christian foundation and basic morals, it was also built off of freedom and more specific religious freedom. Since you blame the countries true foundations for the struggles of Christianity, maybe you are the one that should simply leave. No offense meant.

I do not in particular care if a bunch of Muslim and or Pagan Parents get all upset. That is my point exactly. We have become so passive in this country that we allow everything that is wrong, everything that throws God out with the trash and everything that in one way or the other tears down the moral and family values of this country.

We were once a proud nation that in spite of the freedoms of religious expression in our Constitution, the majority of the people did believe in God and in right and wrong and in honor and respect to others.

Day by day new traditions and ways crept in. Churches started having demonstrations to pardon the murderer and Laws upon laws became so liberal that anything goes.

Now we face the fact that our nation, our pride, our belief in God is more than under attack, and we are to not speak of the things of God or to say Merry Christmas as this may offend some of those other cultures. So those who believe in God are punished by society by the restriction of their culture and being told you have to accept what is now the way of society, the ways of the few, exceed the ways of the many as the many are silent and do not speak.

Kit is not very silent........have you noticed..........:wink:

I do not remember where, but some schools now even say you cannot say the pledge of Allegiance. Does not that have the word God in it......??

I am not that old, but just in my lifetime I have seen the world really change.

I have no clue as to when God will decide we have reached our full measure of nonsense and sin. But each day it seems our world is intent on acceleration to this goal. From the allowance of crime, to the allowance of other cultures, immigration and all things to push our ways to one side.

We are becoming like the nations that do not believe in God, and what is worse all the bad results that are seen due to this, are simply ignored and the people try to legislate morality. Instead of turning to God they create another law.

Read and understand the entire Bible, the complete message God gave us. Forget about quoting all these little scriptures, understand the entire concept.

When you do you will understand. We are being overcome, one day at a time and one step at a time.

The protests of people and of our leaders and the pushing away of Merry Christmas , simply because it may offend others, is one of the ways Satan has used the world to accomplish his way.

So............MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL AND PLEASE FATHER , GIVE ALL THE COURAGE TO STAND AND SPIT IN THEIR EYE. JUST SMILE AND SAY MERRY CHRISTMAS.

It is not a losing battle , it has already been lost. Happy Holiday has taken the place of Merry Christmas.

We have Muslim leaders, Atheist leaders, and we all evolved from a spot of goo. What use is God anyway?? I see statements all the time such as science has proven there is no need for God. Funny thing is the theory of Evolution is so full of holes even if there was no God I could not believe in Evolution. Evolution itself is but a theory.

It is all just common sense. It is allowance by association and acceptance. Look at the world and open your eyes to the results of this modern concept.

It kinda scares me. How much longer will God tolerate it all?? When will he cry and say enough??

We are a nation of the Lukewarm, we care not and we tolerate all.

May God have mercy on us all.

Kit

Without cracking open my history books for exactness, Christmas seems to be a compilations of a lot of traditions.

The idea of gift giving likely came from the Roman festival of Saturnalia, held for several days prior to Dec. 25th. December 25th itself, being the date of 'Christmas' was set by a christian, but no one actually knows the exact date of Jesus' birth, though it is interesting to note the same date is shared by several earlier Roman gods.

The Christmas tree is likely a Christian invention of the 16th century and lighting it up may come from a tradition of burning it in the town square. The word 'Yule' comes from early Germanic paganism for a large hard log for the hearth. We also get the hanging mistletoe tradition from them as well.

Saint Nick was definitely a charitable christian; but flying reindeer, stocking stuffers, and giving food to Santa likely come from another Germanic practice where children would offer food for Odin's flying horse and he would leave candy in its place.

I think it safe to say that Christmas, as it is practiced today, comes from the traditions of people from many different origins assimilated into christian tradition over time. To the OP, I have no issue with someone saying 'Merry Christmas' any more than I have with someone saying 'io, Saturnalia'. However, I think it funny when I hear 'Let's keep Christ in Christmas.' To that I would reply, "Let's keep Saturn in Saturnalia!"

"it doesn't mean that to me"

As posts in this thread evince, people react violently when their traditions are ignored or exposed.

The truth is that Christmas is NOT a pagan tradition or holiday... Whatever research you have done is either wrong, opinionated, or bent and twisted into your personal opinion.
I've done the research and even posted some here. Please post your research here.

You have bent and twisted the constitution and obviously do not understand it, or are using it for the sake of dispute.
Here is the relevant portion again, from the document itself:

Article VI, Clause 3, "The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the Members of the several state Legislatures, and all executive and judicial Officers, both of the United States and of the several States, shall be bound by Oath or Affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States."

Please show us how I have "bent and twisted" the above Article and Clause from the US Constitution.

It in no way is talking about the same kind of testing the bible is talking about, that assumption is absurd.
It clearly states "no religious test." Please show us the "kind of testing the bible is talking about."
What supports this is the fact that you claim the constitution to be of man, then you claim that it directly denies God, which it does not.
Please show us the someone or something other than man who wrote the document. Please show us the word "God" in the document.
It is religious freedom that it symbolizes,
Please show us where in the document it states that.
Without patriotism... Without humanism...
humanism: the denial of any power or moral value superior to that of humanity; the rejection of religion in favour of a belief in the advancement of humanity by its own efforts [dictionary dot com]
To the OP, I have no issue with someone saying 'Merry Christmas' any more than I have with someone saying 'io, Saturnalia'. However, I think it funny when I hear 'Let's keep Christ in Christmas.' To that I would reply, "Let's keep Saturn in Saturnalia!"
Amen.

Last edited:
thank you for your replies, happy holidays :)

And Merry Christmas to you!
How you celebrate Christmas and your outlook toward this season depend a lot on how you were doing the rest of the year spiritually.

If you have spent the year away from God's thoughts or God has been absent from your mind, then if you are a Christian, you will approach the season with the feeling of trepidation, guilt and the urge to "make things right" to make up for the rest of the year. You become a bitter person, not a lot of fun to be around, and your singing of joyful Christmas carols rings hollow.

But if your walk with God is progressing, if you learned a lot from the Scriptures this year and you are doing what God has commissioned us to do, then the Christmas season becomes a fertile ground that you look forward to spread the seed of the Gospel into. Especially towards those who, in this season feel the most loneliness and depression.

When the latter happens, no amount of "Happy Holidays" or belittling or commercialization people do can prevent you from showing a true Joy, as you greet people with a genuine smile that comes from within. And yes, a hearty Merry Christmas to all.

Last edited: