• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Loyal
Monday, June 26, 2017, 2:02 a.m. – The Lord Jesus put in mind the song “Your Grace Divine.” Speak, Lord, your words to my heart. I read Romans 6 (ESV).

Died with Christ (vv. 1-11)

What shall we say then? Are we to continue in sin that grace may abound? By no means! How can we who died to sin still live in it? Do you not know that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? We were buried therefore with him by baptism into death, in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, we too might walk in newness of life.

For if we have been united with him in a death like his, we shall certainly be united with him in a resurrection like his. We know that our old self was crucified with him in order that the body of sin might be brought to nothing, so that we would no longer be enslaved to sin. For one who has died has been set free from sin. Now if we have died with Christ, we believe that we will also live with him. We know that Christ, being raised from the dead, will never die again; death no longer has dominion over him. For the death he died he died to sin, once for all, but the life he lives he lives to God. So you also must consider yourselves dead to sin and alive to God in Christ Jesus.

When we are baptized with water, subsequent to our faith in Jesus Christ, it symbolizes our death with Christ to sin and our resurrection with Christ to newness of life, “created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness” (Eph. 4:24). Yet, this death with Christ to sin, and resurrection to newness of life, does not take place in the waters of baptism, but in the heart of man. When we are baptized into Christ and into his death, this is speaking, not of water baptism, but of the baptism with the Spirit of God, which is done by Jesus Christ (Matt. 3:11). It is a spiritual, not a physical baptism. And, it is an immersion (participation, engagement) with Christ into his death to sin and into new life in the Spirit. We die with Christ in death to sin, and we live with Christ to newness of life, to be lived to Christ and to his righteousness.

Because Jesus Christ put sin to death on the cross, and by faith in him, we, too, are able to die to sin. And, because he was resurrected from the dead back to life, we, by the Spirit, are able to live new lives in Christ Jesus to the glory and praise of God. This is God’s grace to us. This is his free gift to us, not just that he took our place on the cross, and thus he took our punishment for sin so that we could go free from eternal damnation and have the promise of eternal life with God.

God’s grace, which brings salvation, is not just forgiveness of sins, and freedom from punishment (hell for eternity), but it is death to sin; it is deliverance from slavery (bondage, addiction) to sin, and it is freedom to now walk in his holiness and righteousness in the power and working of God’s Spirit now living within us. His grace instructs (commands) us to say “No” to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives while we await Christ’s return (Tit. 2:11-14).

In this baptism (immersion, participation) into Christ and into his death to sin, our old self (flesh nature) was crucified with him in order that the body of sin might be brought to nothing, so that we would no longer be enslaved to sin. So, how is it that so many preachers are telling people that believing in Jesus is nothing more than an acknowledgment of him and of what he did in dying for our sins, and that it is a mere acceptance of his forgiveness of our sins, but they do not teach death to sin or living to righteousness, which was the very reason for which Jesus died? (See: 1 Pet. 2:24).

If Jesus died that we might die to sin and live to righteousness, then why are they telling people that God requires nothing of us? – no repentance, no obedience, and no submission to Christ or to his cross? Their false grace gospel is giving its adherents free license to continue in willful sin against God, and that is wrong!

Slaves to Sin or Obedience (vv. 12-19)

Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, to make you obey its passions. Do not present your members to sin as instruments for unrighteousness, but present yourselves to God as those who have been brought from death to life, and your members to God as instruments for righteousness. For sin will have no dominion over you, since you are not under law but under grace.

What then? Are we to sin because we are not under law but under grace? By no means! Do you not know that if you present yourselves to anyone as obedient slaves, you are slaves of the one whom you obey, either of sin, which leads to death, or of obedience, which leads to righteousness? But thanks be to God, that you who were once slaves of sin have become obedient from the heart to the standard of teaching to which you were committed, and, having been set free from sin, have become slaves of righteousness. I am speaking in human terms, because of your natural limitations. For just as you once presented your members as slaves to impurity and to lawlessness leading to more lawlessness, so now present your members as slaves to righteousness leading to sanctification.

So, if we have truly believed in Jesus Christ with God-given faith, and we have, thus, been crucified with Christ in death to sin, and resurrected with him to newness of life, sin should no longer reign (rule, govern) our lives. We should no longer obey the lusts of our flesh, but we should now walk (in lifestyle) according to the Spirit of God, and in the power and strength of God’s Spirit, whom we were given when we trusted in Jesus Christ. Jesus delivered us out of slavery to sin, so we are no longer under its power.

If we are still living as though we are still enslaved to sin, we have to understand here that this leads to death, not to eternal life with God. If we say we have fellowship with God, but we still walk (in lifestyle) in darkness (sin), we are liars. If we still walk according to our sinful flesh, we will die in our sins (See: 1 Jn. 1:5-9; Ro. 8:1-14; Lu. 9:23-25). It is obedience which leads to righteousness. So, we are now to become slaves to righteousness which leads to sanctification (purification, holiness).

Set Free from Sin (vv. 20-23)

For when you were slaves of sin, you were free in regard to righteousness. But what fruit were you getting at that time from the things of which you are now ashamed? For the end of those things is death. But now that you have been set free from sin and have become slaves of God, the fruit you get leads to sanctification and its end, eternal life. For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

If we are still living as though we are enslaved to (addicted to) sin, we are free from the control of righteousness. We can’t serve two masters. So, if Jesus set us free from all that, why continue in sin and sin addiction? Don’t you know that will lead to death? If we continue to practice sin, and if we continue walking (living) in sin and according to our flesh, we will die without Christ and without the hope of eternal life (See: Lu. 9:23-25; Ro. 8:1-14; 1 Jn. 1:5-9; Gal. 5:19-21; Eph. 5:3-6).

So, don’t play around with sin. For, if we truly have been saved of our sins, by God’s grace, via Jesus Christ’s sacrifice for our sins, we should now be slaves to God/Christ, and to his righteousness, and he should be our ONLY Lord (owner-master).

Your Grace Divine
An Original Work / November 6, 2011

All I have is Yours, Lord.
You gave all to me,
When You died at Calv’ry
On that cruel tree.
Crucified for my sins;
You paid what I owe,
So I’d be forgiven;
My God come to know.
All I have is Yours, Lord.
You gave all to me,
When You died at Calv’ry
On that cruel tree.

Lord, I am so thankful
For Your grace divine.
I invited You, Lord,
In this heart of mine.
I have been forgiven
For all of my sins,
So I’d live with Jesus;
His grace flow within.
Lord, I am so thankful
For Your grace divine.
I invited You, Lord,
In this heart of mine.

Growing in Your grace, Lord;
Live for You each day;
How I love to worship
You throughout my day.
Sitting at Your feet, Lord,
List’ning to You speak,
Leads me to love You, Lord,
More throughout the week.
Growing in Your grace, Lord;
Live for You each day;
How I love to worship
You throughout my day.

Loyal
Because Jesus Christ put sin to death on the cross, and by faith in him, we, too, are able to die to sin. And, because he was resurrected from the dead back to life, we, by the Spirit, are able to live new lives in Christ Jesus to the glory and praise of God. This is God’s grace to us. This is his free gift to us, not just that he took our place on the cross, and thus he took our punishment for sin so that we could go free from eternal damnation and have the promise of eternal life with God.

The lost message of the church. Repentance. It seems many today are joining the church just so they can be under "grace" and just so they "can" sin
without any repercussions. Indeed this seems to be the message in many churches today.

We may not be under the law, but you still can't kill anyone. It's still wrong to steal, lie, fornicate, commit adultery... etc...
In fact some things got even harder under grace. Now just calling someone "Idiot" or "Good for nothing" is just as bad as killing them.
Now even just looking at someone of the opposite sex lustfully is just as bad as committing adultery.

I really like this phrase above.. " by the Spirit, are able to live new lives " The law condemns us, but the spirit enables us.
Grace enables us to do what the law couldn't make us do. The people of the old testament didn't have the Holy Spirit with them
to empower them and change their lives. The really... I mean "really".. sad thing about many churches and so called Christians today
is.... even though we have this available to us. We don't use it. Many don't even want to. Some churches don't even acknowledge it.

In fact the preaching in many churches today is... "if you don't keep the whole law, you're guilty of breaking all of it" (true) but then
they say.. "so you might as well not worry about it, because you're going to break it anyway". They believe this is what grace is for.

Acts 1:8; but you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be My witnesses both in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and even to the remotest part of the earth."

It's the Holy Spirit that give us "power" to overcome. It's not our own power.

Zech 4:6; Then he said to me, "This is the word of the LORD to Zerubbabel saying, 'Not by might nor by power, but by My Spirit,' says the LORD of hosts.

There are many today denying who Jesus is, because they are resisting and denying this power.

Jude 1:4; For certain persons have crept in unnoticed, those who were long beforehand marked out for this condemnation, ungodly persons who turn the grace of our God into licentiousness and deny our only Master and Lord, Jesus Christ.

They read this and think to themselves... "that's the "ungodly persons" not me. Not realizing that it is this very idea of " licentiousness" is what makes them
ungodly.

ἀσέλγεια
aselgeia; of unc. or.; licentiousness, wantonness: — licentiousness (1), sensual (1), sensuality (8).

2 Tim 3:1; But realize this, that in the last days difficult times will come.
2 Tim 3:2; For men will be lovers of self, lovers of money, boastful, arrogant, revilers, disobedient to parents, ungrateful, unholy,
2 Tim 3:3; unloving, irreconcilable, malicious gossips, without self-control, brutal, haters of good,
2 Tim 3:4; treacherous, reckless, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God,
2 Tim 3:5; holding to a form of godliness, although they have denied its power; Avoid such men as these.

The people thing think they are godly. They are holding onto a "form" of godliness... but by their actions, they deny it's power.

These people say they have the Holy Spirit, and even claim to be led by the Spirit, but in reality...

Acts 7:51; "You men who are stiff-necked and uncircumcised in heart and ears are always resisting the Holy Spirit; you are doing just as your fathers did.

1 Jn 5:5; Who is the one who overcomes the world, but he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God?

If you're not overcoming... maybe your faith is in the wrong thing?

Loyal
The lost message of the church. Repentance. It seems many today are joining the church just so they can be under "grace" and just so they "can" sin
without any repercussions. Indeed this seems to be the message in many churches today.

We may not be under the law, but you still can't kill anyone. It's still wrong to steal, lie, fornicate, commit adultery... etc...
In fact some things got even harder under grace. Now just calling someone "Idiot" or "Good for nothing" is just as bad as killing them.
Now even just looking at someone of the opposite sex lustfully is just as bad as committing adultery.

I really like this phrase above.. " by the Spirit, are able to live new lives " The law condemns us, but the spirit enables us.
Grace enables us to do what the law couldn't make us do. The people of the old testament didn't have the Holy Spirit with them
to empower them and change their lives. The really... I mean "really".. sad thing about many churches and so called Christians today
is.... even though we have this available to us. We don't use it. Many don't even want to. Some churches don't even acknowledge it.

In fact the preaching in many churches today is... "if you don't keep the whole law, you're guilty of breaking all of it" (true) but then
they say.. "so you might as well not worry about it, because you're going to break it anyway". They believe this is what grace is for.

Acts 1:8; but you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be My witnesses both in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and even to the remotest part of the earth."

It's the Holy Spirit that give us "power" to overcome. It's not our own power.

Zech 4:6; Then he said to me, "This is the word of the LORD to Zerubbabel saying, 'Not by might nor by power, but by My Spirit,' says the LORD of hosts.

There are many today denying who Jesus is, because they are resisting and denying this power.

Jude 1:4; For certain persons have crept in unnoticed, those who were long beforehand marked out for this condemnation, ungodly persons who turn the grace of our God into licentiousness and deny our only Master and Lord, Jesus Christ.

They read this and think to themselves... "that's the "ungodly persons" not me. Not realizing that it is this very idea of " licentiousness" is what makes them
ungodly.

ἀσέλγεια
aselgeia; of unc. or.; licentiousness, wantonness: — licentiousness (1), sensual (1), sensuality (8).

2 Tim 3:1; But realize this, that in the last days difficult times will come.
2 Tim 3:2; For men will be lovers of self, lovers of money, boastful, arrogant, revilers, disobedient to parents, ungrateful, unholy,
2 Tim 3:3; unloving, irreconcilable, malicious gossips, without self-control, brutal, haters of good,
2 Tim 3:4; treacherous, reckless, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God,
2 Tim 3:5; holding to a form of godliness, although they have denied its power; Avoid such men as these.

The people thing think they are godly. They are holding onto a "form" of godliness... but by their actions, they deny it's power.

These people say they have the Holy Spirit, and even claim to be led by the Spirit, but in reality...

Acts 7:51; "You men who are stiff-necked and uncircumcised in heart and ears are always resisting the Holy Spirit; you are doing just as your fathers did.

1 Jn 5:5; Who is the one who overcomes the world, but he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God?

If you're not overcoming... maybe your faith is in the wrong thing?

Amen! Well stated! A very sad reality, though, which is why we need to keep proclaiming the truth to all who will listen.

Active
If they dont listen, do you just dust off your feet and move on.

What happens if they are the pastor?!

Loyal

Lanolin, I don't know your circumstances, or if you are speaking generically, and not about yourself, but if a shepherd of the people of God is teaching false doctrine, and is leading the people astray, and if he does not listen to truth, and you are able to do so, I would say move on, unless the Lord tells you to stay because he has a ministry for you there. Of course, I am speaking of the church (the body of Christ), not of institutions of men. If you are gathering with other believers and false doctrine is being preached and truth is being rejected, and God says to go, then you should go. God will lead us where he wants us, and he will let us know when to stay and when to brush the dust off and leave.

Loyal
2 Tim 4:1; I solemnly charge you in the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who is to judge the living and the dead, and by His appearing and His kingdom:
2 Tim 4:2; preach the word; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort, with great patience and instruction.
2 Tim 4:3; For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but wanting to have their ears tickled, they will accumulate for themselves teachers in accordance to their own desires,
2 Tim 4:4; and will turn away their ears from the truth and will turn aside to myths.
2 Tim 4:5; But you, be sober in all things, endure hardship, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry.

Jesus didn't promise it would always be easy. Sometimes brushing the dust off is the best thing we can do.
Sadly... many choose to stay deceived. You can find a preacher or pastor almost anywhere that will preach
what you want them to say. We had 192 ordained clergymen sign a petition to legalize gay marriage in this
state a few years ago. As @Sue said... they are slaves.

Loyal
What a great read and thank you so much !! I can so relate your gift of writing is so beautiful

Active
Hmm I dont know...I just think theres something not quite right about one pastor of a church I go to but can't quite put my finger on it.

Speaking of myths ...would you count it against someone if they liked cs lewis or George Macdonald, they both wrote myths but tried to mix it with christian doctrine.

I just find it weird how cs lewis is reverered by many christians, when he wrote myths.

Loyal

If you are certain that the way you are walking is God's Way, that you are being led by God, then moving on could the right thing. But...[ and this is a big "BUT"] we always need to remember that as the scripture says:

"Every way of a man is right in his own eyes: but the LORD pondereth the hearts." Prov 21:2

I have changed or been changed in many areas over the years since starting to serve God, but at each place where I was at the time
This changing is not an evil thing if God is directing the changes. If a person does too much reasoning and not enough praying and reading what God has had written, he/she could change in the wrong direction and be unaware of it. Checking in with God every day is a necessity in order to stay on the highway of holiness.

Sometimes even if our minister [pastor] is wrong or we believe that he is wrong, God may not want us to leave the place where are because He has a job for us to do in that place. This is one reason why checking with God before making a final decision is a necessity.

Active
Yes well if you are doing a ministry and they are trying to stop you from doing it then its time to move on dont you think. Jesus didnt continue to minister where people didnt want him and didnt thank him for it.

Loyal
Yes well if you are doing a ministry and they are trying to stop you from doing it then its time to move on dont you think. Jesus didnt continue to minister where people didnt want him and didnt thank him for it.
Jesus had more of the religious powers that be against him than for him. They were seriously working to stop him even to the point of killing him. He did not back away from what His Father told him to do, no matter who was against him or what the final consequences. Neither should we... not for that reason alone. The reason to back away is because God wants us to... The problem, of course, is always staying in touch with God so that we know just what He wants us to do or not do.

"My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:" John 10:27

What did Jesus do here?

"And he went a little further, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt." Matt 26:39

Active
Yes but Jesus was going to the lost sheep of israel and ended up in Jerusalem he went through the other towns after they didnt receive Him, he didnt stay in those towns, because Jerusalem was the apple of Gods eye and where his Fathers House was.

He didnt go through all the other towns, like tyre, sidon, capernaum etc and then NOT go to Jerusalem, but he didnt stay in those towns, is what I'm saying.

Active
Also, he pronounced destruction on Jerusalem and sure enough it was destroyed like those other towns that did not obey His word. He wasn't 'backing away' he was moving forward. From Jerusalem the gospel then spread outwards to Samaria, Judea and the ends of the earth.

Christians are always moving onward! We arent backing away. If no town receives us we move on to where the gospel will take root. There is no point staying anywhere where God doesnt want us to be and people are not prepared to listen. We go to harvest a field, we dont go to a field full of weeds and expect any crop unless God wants us to stay and prepare and dig the soil after the weeds are destroyed!