• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Are We Saved By Grace Alone or Does It Include Man's Works

Poll on How The Christian is Saved

• By Grace and Some Form of Works By Man

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Active

RJ

Ephesians 2:8-9 For by such grace you have been saved through faith. This does not come from you; it is the gift of God

God appears to be explicit here and that is that a man is saved by grace alone. Since others can't deny this scripture they claim it but add that it requires works from man Like, Tongues or Water Baptism.
Which is it....by Grace alone or by Grace and some form of works by man?

Loyal
It is neither, it is grace plus faith plus deeds.

Jas 2:14; What use is it, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but he has no works? Can that faith save him?
Jas 2:17; Even so faith, if it has no works, is dead, being by itself.
Jas 2:20; But are you willing to recognize, you foolish fellow, that faith without works is useless
Jas 2:24; You see that a man is justified by works and not by faith alone.

Grace is indeed the gift of God and no one will be saved without it. But no where in the Bible does it say we are saved by Grace "alone".
In fact if it is grace alone and even faith is not required, then everyone is saved. Even those who do not believe. However deeds (or fruit)
of your faith are required. Faith without works is dead.

Matt 7:19; Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire.

Luke 13:6; And He began telling this parable: “A man had a fig tree which had been planted in his vineyard; and he came looking for fruit on it and did not find any.
Luke 13:7;
And he said to the vineyard-keeper, ‘Behold, for three years I have come looking for fruit on this fig tree without finding any. Cut it down! Why does it even use up the ground?’
Luke 13:8;
“And he answered and said to him, ‘Let it alone, sir, for this year too, until I dig around it and put in fertilizer; http://biblehub.com/luke/13-9.htm
Luke 13:9; and if it bears fruit next year, fine; but if not, cut it down.’”

Active
At least there is a way to gauge your relationship with God here and now.

1 John 3:21
................................................................................
Dear friends, if our hearts do not condemn us, we have confidence before God
................................................................................
Dear friends, if we don't feel guilty, we can come to God with bold confidence.
Beloved, if our heart does not condemn us, we have confidence before God;
Dear friends, if our hearts do not condemn us, we have confidence in the presence of God.
Dear friends, if our conscience does not condemn us, we have confidence in the presence of God.
Beloved, if our heart condemns us not, then have we confidence toward God.
Beloved, if our heart condemn us not, then have we confidence toward God.
Beloved, if our heart condemn us not, then have we confidence toward God.
Beloved, if our heart condemn us not, we have boldness toward God;
................................................................................ ................................................................................
Dear friends, if our hearts do not condemn us, we have perfect confidence towards God;
Beloved, if our hearts don't condemn us, we have boldness toward God;

Active

RJ

Ephesians 2:8-9 For by such grace you have been saved through faith. This does not come from you; it is the gift of God

God appears to be explicit here and that is that a man is saved by grace alone. Since others can't deny this scripture they claim it but add that it requires works from man Like, Tongues or Water Baptism.
Which is it....by Grace alone or by Grace and some form of works by man?
Who's not voting?

Loyal
If it is also deeds, why does Ephesians 2:8-9 say no works?

It doesn't say no works, it says we aren't saved by works alone.

I didn't vote because there was no correct answer listed.

DHC

By Grace alone, the reconciliation was performed by Christ alone, hence, we are only ever saved by
the Gospel of Jesus Christ. God fool proofed the means of salvation, otherwise, no one would be saved.

DHC

If it really is grace alone, why isn't everyone saved? Or are they?
Hello B-A-C.

You said 'if it really is grace alone', which is a conditional statement B-A-C, and this statement of yours is highly
questionable. This statement of yours is in direct conflict with the words of the apostle to the Gentiles, the apostle Paul.
You're questioning Paul's authority over the Christian Gentile world, this authority over the Gentile world was granted to
Paul by Jesus Christ. Paul stated the following as doctrine.

Ephesians 2
8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

There should be no debate that Paul taught that we are saved by Grace through faith, and above all this is purely
a gift in itself. Anyone who calls on the name of Jesus Christ will be saved B-A-C, that is the promise of God.
Should you have some issue with Paul's apostleship over the Gentile world then you may need to talk to Jesus.

Active

RJ

It doesn't say no works, it says we aren't saved by works alone.
Ephesian 2:8-9
For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: 9 Not of works, lest any man should boast
  • B-A-C, you said above: "it says we aren't saved by works alone"
  • It does not say that, this is a false statement and use of God's word to support your narative!
  • It would be best if you re-read the following two verses:
  • Proverbs 30:6 Do not add to his words, or he will rebuke you and prove you a liar.
  • Revelations 22:19 And if anyone takes words away from this scroll of prophecy, God will take away from that person any share in the tree of life and in the Holy City, which are described in this scroll.
  • It is absolutely not for me to say, but a thought of repentance may be in order

Loyal
Hello B-A-C.

You said 'if it really is grace alone', which is a conditional statement B-A-C, and this statement of yours is highly
questionable. This statement of yours is in direct conflict with the words of the apostle to the Gentiles, the apostle Paul.
You're questioning Paul's authority over the Christian Gentile world, this authority over the Gentile world was granted to
Paul by Jesus Christ. Paul stated the following as doctrine.

Ephesians 2
8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

There should be no debate that Paul taught that we are saved by Grace through faith, and above all this is purely
a gift in itself. Anyone who calls on the name of Jesus Christ will be saved B-A-C, that is the promise of God.
Should you have some issue with Paul's apostleship over the Gentile world then you may need to talk to Jesus.

But that doesn't answer the question.. why isn't everyone saved?

Loyal
Ephesian 2:8-9
For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: 9 Not of works, lest any man should boast
  • B-A-C, you said above: "it says we aren't saved by works alone"
  • It does not say that, this is a false statement and use of God's word to support your narative!

The point was, it is just as true as saying "grace alone". Which is also a false statement.

Active

RJ

The point was, it is just as true as saying "grace alone". Which is also a false statement.
Sorry brother, you certainly have a right to your theology but I find you not creditable.
Would you agree to disagree and just move on? I would!

Salvation comes to us only through the grace of God (the word "grace" means "unmerited or undeserved favor"). There is nothing we can do, and nothing we can offer God, that can make us deserving of salvation because it's the undeserved gift of God (Ephesians 2:8-9). Salvation is a free gift! We simply have to choose to receive it!
The reason all are not saved is because they reject His complete work on the cross.
After receiving salvation, we should now do the things that Jesus wants us to do. If we do not.....maybe we need to question if we are truly saved?!?

DHC

Hello B-A-C.
You stated the following information in an earlier post.
Jas 2:14; What use is it, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but he has no works? Can that faith save him?
Jas 2:17; Even so faith, if it has no works, is dead, being by itself.
Jas 2:20; But are you willing to recognize, you foolish fellow, that faith without works is useless
Jas 2:24; You see that a man is justified by works and not by faith alone.

Grace is indeed the gift of God and no one will be saved without it. But no where in the Bible does it say
we are saved by Grace "alone". In fact if it is grace alone and even faith is not required, then everyone is saved.
Even those who do not believe. However deeds (or fruit) of your faith are required. Faith without works is dead.
Your quotation from the letter attributed to James, is irrelevant in this thread B-A-C. Since the title
of the thread is asking a question, "Are We Saved By Grace Alone or Does It Include Man's Works".

The question is very simple and will test whether someone understands the Gospel, and on what basis
is salvation granted? Is salvation a free gift from God, or do we contribute to the process of salvation?

You should be well aware B-A-C, that God is the one who implements the process of salvation and
not us. The reconciliation of humanity to God, is purely based on the perfect sacrifice that Christ
implemented at Calvary. The means of salvation itself is always the Gospel of Jesus Christ, any
mention of faith and works will only ever be of a secondary consideration.

Without the primary belief in the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ in the first instance, there
can never be any discussion about faith and works. The Gospel of Jesus Christ is the primary platform
of salvation, and this is regardless of any faith or works. It is the heirarchy of the salvation plan, the plan
implemented by God, that most seem to misunderstand.

If you lock in the primary foundational platform of the Gospel, then everything else will stand on
this foundation. There is no interplay of faith and works at the primary level of the Gospel and salvation.

Paul correctly identifies that our mediocre works are only of a secondary consideration to the Gospel.
I can give you a gold plated guarantee, that there will be no one in heaven who has not believed in
the Gospel of Jesus Christ. You also have a gold plated guarantee that heaven will be littered with
folk who have never measured up to some invisible level of justification by works.

Anyone who truly calls on the name of Jesus Christ will be saved and this is the promise of God.

Acts 2
21 ‘And it shall be that everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.’

Whether or not faith and works have some interplay, has no relevance to the question that was asked.
Whether a tree produces any good fruit is also totally irrevelant, and this is a subject for another day.

There is no other way to be saved other than by the belief in the Gospel of Jesus Christ!

1 Corinthians

15 Now I make known to you, brethren, the gospel which I preached to you, which also you received,
in which also you stand, 2 by which also you are saved, if you hold fast the word which I preached to you,
unless you believed in vain.

Christ is the foundation and the focus of salvation, and at this primary level of the Gospel, humanity is silent.

Loyal
The Gospel is not Grace alone. It does not say Grace alone anywhere in the Bible.

I'm sure the people in Matt 7:21; thought they were covered by grace alone. Why weren't they?
I'm sure the lazy servant in Matt 25:26; thought he was covered by grace alone and it was fool-proof.
I'm sure the five virgins in Matt 25:11; thought they were covered by grace alone and salvation was fool-proof.
I'm sure the "goats" in Matt 25:41 though nothing was required of them, grace covers everything.
I know for a fact many people today practicing the things mentioned in 1 Cor 6:9-10; believe there is nothing to worry about grace covers everything.

The fact is, grace is the undeserved gift of God. None of us will be saved by works. None of us can do enough works to save us.
But grace doesn't cover everything. Grace covers our mistakes and shortcomings. But grace doesn't do everything for us.
We have to take a step, we have to feed the hungry, invest our talents, put oil in our lamps, love our neighbors... will we mess up?
Probably.. that's where grace comes in.
But if we don't do any of those things grace won't do it for us.

This is not salvation based on performance. In fact it's just the opposite.
You don't have to make all your shots, you don't even have to make most of them.
But you have to take a couple.

It's not about performance, it's about heart. You don't have to be the best player on the team, but you have to be on the team. In order to be on the team you have to contribute something.

Active

RJ

I'm sure the people in Matt 7:21; thought they were covered by grace alone. Why weren't they?
I'm sure the lazy servant in Matt 25:26; thought he was covered by grace alone and it was fool-proof.
I'm sure the five virgins in Matt 25:11; thought they were covered by grace alone and salvation was fool-proof.
I'm sure the "goats" in Matt 25:41 though nothing was required of them, grace covers everything.
I am afraid you haven't a clue!:( I wonder why the poll is a 100% by Grace alone?:oops:

Active
BAC,if "saved" meant living a victorious life in Christ then I would totally agree with you.
However the church has come to use that term for escaping eternal punishment.
It's not his will that any should perish so should it be so difficult to know if you have satisfied all the requirements?

1 John 3:21 Beloved, if our heart condemn us not, then have we confidence toward God.

If someones only incentive is to escape punishment,there is not much joy in the service.
There is a huge difference between escaping endless torture and leading a victorious life in Christ.
We don't seem to promote that victorious life much, hell and Satan's works seem to get more attention.
I agree it's about the heart,not about more rules.
We do have to trust that he who began a good work in each of us is faithful to complete that work.

Active
But that doesn't answer the question.. why isn't everyone saved?

Because some people just aren't good enough, or have enough strength in them to accomplish the enormity of all that God requires for us to earn our salvation? Is that the right answer to your question?

In regards to the original question: I was saved by grace, I am being saved by grace, and I will be saved by grace. Sometimes God has left me to my own devices and let me see the depravity that is Travis, which led me into to a spiral of fervently seeking the Lord and desiring to be more holy. Seeking to be holy and righteous are not bad things. Seeking to be holy and righteous for the wrong reasons is pure and utter evil. This is what the Scribes and Pharisees did/do. From the eternal perspective, we are 100% saved by grace, period, exclamation mark. While we are in these vessels of flesh, we are to work out our own salvation with fear and trembling.

Noah built the boat that saved him and his family from the flood. Jesus is the ark that saves us, and in a sense saved Noah and his family from the flood. Noah didn't build Jesus. This makes 0 sense to my carnal mind. Yet, it is 100% true. Noah was saved, in a sense, by the work of his own hands. Noah was, 100%, saved by the grace of God Almighty.

Blessings,

Travis