• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Are video games evil?

i was wondering is video games such as halo2 and Counterstrike are evil. These are video games with guns and stuff. Also if games with wizards are bad. i was wondering because there just games for your intertainmet. just wondering. Thanks and godbless you all!

Administrator
Staff Member
Good question brother. I think this is an easy thing to answer.

Wizards = bad

2 Kings 21:6
He sacrificed his own son in the fire, practiced sorcery and divination, and consulted mediums and spiritists. He did much evil in the eyes of the LORD, provoking him to anger.

Violence = bad

Proverbs 1:10-16
10 My son, if sinners entice you,
do not give in to them.

11 If they say, "Come along with us;
let's lie in wait for someone's blood,
let's waylay some harmless soul;

12 let's swallow them alive, like the grave,
and whole, like those who go down to the pit;

13 we will get all sorts of valuable things
and fill our houses with plunder;

14 throw in your lot with us,
and we will share a common purse"-

15 my son, do not go along with them,
do not set foot on their paths;

16 for their feet rush into sin,
they are swift to shed blood.

Just picture Jesus Christ. Would He play these kind of games? I know it may look silly to imagine Christ playing video games, but you know what? Who is to say GOD does not appreciate entertainment? Look at the world and the galaxies beyond! He did it for His glory and joy.

It might be "only entertainment" but if you would not do it in real life, then its a conviction there that it is wrong to be entertained by it.

It also eats up precious time with the Lord very easily. Games are addicting to many kids and adults.

thats what i think, chad if you dont mind look up halo on google or something it has aliens and stuff but i dont know its a game so if the game is violent is it bad? just asking because im still at that age were i like games and all my freinds play it but i did not know if it was write just looking for the write answers. Thanks

Administrator
Staff Member
I'm aware of Halo, but I do not play it (have years ago otherwise).

You know there are games made by Christian companies.

www.ssww.com
http://cgnow.com

I know its your age now, but does it glorify GOD? Does it help you grow with the Lord? Of course we all know that none of us can be perfect or close enough to 100% not be entertained by something secular one way or another (for me music/tv) but truth is truth.

Its best to spend time on something that does not waste for nothing (secular games, movies for example) but instead is valuable to you and in the eyes of GOD. Instead of secular movies, go for Christian developed movies...

http://christianmovies.com

yea but i think you can play regular games to as long as there is no killing people, god whants you to be happy and have fun in life as long as your not against him i think he smiles down on you :)

i looked at the sites and it had things in it that were christian but you still kill things such as demons. In one of the pictures there was even a guy holding a sword with aomsehintg infront of him. whats that saying?

Administrator
Staff Member
Why would you not want to kill demons?

You can crush them with the Living Word of GOD (armour).

Plus, the links I gave were results from Google. I did not thoroughly search them. You should do that, its your question after all ;)

I'm only trying to help you.

Follow your conscience some saints have no problem with certain games, others do...if you join the army as a christian you are trained to kill real men, so use you conscience...

God bless

Last edited:
Also the bible tell us the powers that be are ordained of God...and that they bear not the sword in vain. Because they are not a terror to the good but to the evil. So if you were a police officer you would also use these games as a way to better your aiming and so on...plus it goes as far as haveing to kill for the good of peacefull men. Christ himself is coming back to wage war on all unrighteousness....

Rom 13:1 Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God.
Rom 13:2 Whosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God: and they that resist shall receive to themselves damnation.
Rom 13:3 For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the evil. Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power? do that which is good, and thou shalt have praise of the same:
Rom 13:4 For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to [execute] wrath upon him that doeth evil. Rom 13:5 Wherefore [ye] must needs be subject, not only for wrath, but also for conscience sake.
Rom 13:6 For for this cause pay ye tribute also: for they are God's ministers, attending continually upon this very thing.
Rom 13:7 Render therefore to all their dues: tribute to whom tribute [is due]; custom to whom custom; fear to whom fear; honour to whom honour.

Chad said:
Why would you not want to kill demons?
You can crush them with the Living Word of GOD (armour).

I don't want to kill anything, I'll leave it up to Jesus

There is quite a bit of hypocrisy on those sites, so I'd best stay with Chad's words, if it doesn't glorify God, don't play it :)

I was a pretty good gamer a few years back. I've got all the latest games, but I don't play it. My pc is extremely high end and I can play any game. I just don't have that "need" anymore. My brother plays all the games.

I have enjoyed Age of Empires in the past, I bought AOE3 in December, I haven't even played yet, lol

I leave all the gaming to my friends, I help them by downloading all the latest patches for them , then I add a readme file that shows a little Bible verse, hehe. They think I'm nuts, but I say whatever!

My grandchildren play some games that teach things as in math , reading ect. Those types of games can be a big help , but as to some others that are violent I have no use for them. I see nothing wrong with games such as fishing , bowling , jepardy , yatzee and things of that nature, I play all of them on this site.

Staff Member
Yes i agree that some games are good but not the ones are nasty as they can influence young minds as can some tv programmes.

I've played Counter Strike and Halo, but my favorite games are the WWII reenactment games like Call of Duty series and Battlefield 1942. I don't watch much TV. I get my entertainment from COD2 and the Internet. The TV programmers have control over what is seen and heard, but in the net I have control.

The games themselves are not evil, it is the intents and attitudes of the players/ creators that are judged evil or not. Halo will not stand in front of Jesus one day to be judged, but you will. If the Lord has laid it on your heart to stay away from these games, then obey. Maybe the Spirit has understanding that these games will influence you negatively, and hurt your walk with our Lord Jesus.

On a side note, I know of at least 6 teams that compete in on line leagues and tournaments and host gaming servers with several games. All done with Jesus as the focus and with the intent that they will be an outreach for the gaming community.

Let the Spirit lead you, and you can't go wrong.

God bless,
Nigh

i use paintball stuff and airsoft so is it ok for me to play these games? there rilly hard and im starting to work on my temtation resistance. so post back please! godbless ( nigh your a brother from another mother ) i rilllly whant to play these games and i love ww2 stuff but my mom is like dont play those games and stuff. she kinda brainwashes me. so i feel guilty but she says if its ok with god then its ok with her. THERE'S HOPE!!! THANK YOU JESUS. nigh please get back to me with more detail i need to talk to you thanks. if you whant my aim is pitbull5430 or my msn is [email protected] thanks man

Last edited:
Administrator
Staff Member
This is a response from gotquestions.org that I sent in regarding this topic. Good response.

Answered by: Michael

My view on video games depends on the content. Does the video game contain or promote violence? In many parts of the Old Testament, the Bible records exceedingly violent events...thousands of people being killed, eyes being gouged out, fingers being cut off, etc. At the same time, the Bible does not promote these things...it does not encourage us to take part in them. In regards to video games, there is a big difference between containing violence, and promoting violence. I would view a game that involves strategic warfare different from one that involves hand-to-hand combat. As an example, Command and Conquer and Doom both have violence, but there is most definitely a difference. The same principle applies to wizards and magic. Does the game contain it, or revolve around it? Ultimately, each and every Christian should use wisdom and discernment as to whether they play a particular video game.

awsome, thanks chad. the games that i like are mostly ww2 and strategy involveing war. like nigh said i control what i play not someone else. if the players are being rude or something of the nature i can always leave that game and join another. i think that was great because for a while i had stoped but now im happy that i know i can play again :). doom is also representing the possible end of the wolrd and demons ( i dont play nor do i like this game ).thats what i heard about that game. thanks everyone and if you still have more info or scripture on this topic keep posting!!! your all helping kids like me that read this and helping them know whats write and wrong. godbless you all!