• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Are there only a few being saved?

Loyal
Someone asked Jesus tis very question, this was His answer.

Luke 13:23; And someone said to Him, "Lord, are there just a few who are being saved?" And He said to them,
Luke 13:24; "Strive to enter through the narrow door; for many, I tell you, will seek to enter and will not be able.
Luke 13:25; "Once the head of the house gets up and shuts the door, and you begin to stand outside and knock on the door, saying, 'Lord, open up to us!' then He will answer and say to you, 'I do not know where you are from.'
Luke 13:26; "Then you will begin to say, 'We ate and drank in Your presence, and You taught in our streets';
Luke 13:27; and He will say, 'I tell you, I do not know where you are from; DEPART FROM ME, ALL YOU EVILDOERS.'

"Many".. will seek to enter, but will not be able.
It seems these "many" will say to Him... but we ate and drank in your presence, we heard your teachings
in our neighborhoods.

Notice He doesn't say depart you unbelievers... He says.. depart you evildoers.

There are some churches that believe everyone will be saved.
There are some churches that believe just because we ate and drank "in your presence" or
just because "we heard your teachings on our streets" they will be saved.

================================================================================

Matt 7:13; "Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the way is broad that leads to destruction, and there are many who enter through it.
Matt 7:14; "For the gate is small and the way is narrow that leads to life, and there are few who find it.
Matt 7:15; "Beware of the false prophets, who come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly are ravenous wolves.

Broad and wide is the way that leads to destruction... "many will enter" that gate.

Small and narrow is the way that leads to life... "few will find" that way.

Beware of the false prophets.... that say all, or most will be saved.

========================================================================================

1 Pet 4:17; For it is time for judgment to begin with the household of God; and if it begins with us first, what will be the outcome for those who do not obey the gospel of God?
1 Pet 4:18; AND IF IT IS WITH DIFFICULTY THAT THE RIGHTEOUS IS SAVED, WHAT WILL BECOME OF THE GODLESS MAN AND THE SINNER?
1 Pet 4:19; Therefore, those also who suffer according to the will of God shall entrust their souls to a faithful Creator in doing what is right.

Judgment begins with believers... "the household of God". Many will strive to enter the narrow gate... but will not be able. It is with difficulty the righteous are saved.
Therefore... those will suffer according to the will of God, are entrusting their creator ... in doing what is right.

Active
I liken these two ways and gates as two movie theaters, the one is very popular and likable, while the other is very unpopular and much disliked: The popular and liked movie is so much likable that the majority go in there at, because it is showing an entertaining film with much flattery and lies and violence and perversion and immoral behavior and such like things; whereas the unpopular and disliked movie is so much disliked that few there be that (even) find it, because it is very serious and sobering leaving the viewers having to reflect on their lives.

Active

Luke 13:23; And someone said to Him, "Lord, are there just a few who are being saved?" And He said to them,
Luke 13:24; "Strive to enter through the narrow door; for many, I tell you, will seek to enter and will not be able.
Luke 13:25; "Once the head of the house gets up and shuts the door, and you begin to stand outside and knock on the door, saying, 'Lord, open up to us!' then He will answer and say to you, 'I do not know where you are from.'
Luke 13:26; "Then you will begin to say, 'We ate and drank in Your presence, and You taught in our streets';
Luke 13:27; and He will say, 'I tell you, I do not know where you are from; DEPART FROM ME, ALL YOU EVILDOERS.'

It seems these "many" will say to Him... but we ate and drank in your presence, we heard your teachings
in our neighborhoods.

There are some churches that believe just because we ate and drank "in your presence" or

================================================================================

Matt 7:13; "Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the way is broad that leads to destruction, and there are many who enter through it.
Matt 7:14; "For the gate is small and the way is narrow that leads to life, and there are few who find it.
Matt 7:15; "Beware of the false prophets, who come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly are ravenous wolves.

Broad and wide is the way that leads to destruction... "many will enter" that gate.

========================================================================================

1 Pet 4:17; For it is time for judgment to begin with the household of God; and if it begins with us first, what will be the outcome for those who do not obey the gospel of God?
1 Pet 4:18; AND IF IT IS WITH DIFFICULTY THAT THE RIGHTEOUS IS SAVED, WHAT WILL BECOME OF THE GODLESS MAN AND THE SINNER?
1 Pet 4:19; Therefore, those also who suffer according to the will of God shall entrust their souls to a faithful Creator in doing what is right.

Judgment begins with believers... "the household of God". Many will strive to enter the narrow gate... but will not be able. It is with difficulty the righteous are saved.
Therefore... those will suffer according to the will of God, are entrusting their creator ... in doing what is right.

Good thread B-A-C. In New England, and especially in Massachusetts, I'm seeing the "social gospel" edging out the true Gospel. It's "another gospel" that the Apostle Paul spoke about in the book of Galatians. Praise God, that there are a few Churches that love the whole counsel of God and still preach repentance.

It seems that that old narrow road has been neglected so much in these last days, that the "wise" have constructed a super highway of ear tickling theology. Problem with that super highway, it leads directly to a lake of fire.

Loyal
Man can build all of the super highways he wishes and say they lead to God, but if they do not coincide with the highway of holiness, they surely do not.

Anyone can teach the lie as truth and probably have lots of followers, but...

"Let them alone: they be blind leaders of the blind. And if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch." Matt 5:14

Active
Man can build all of the super highways he wishes and say they lead to God, but if they do not coincide with the highway of holiness, they surely do not.

Anyone can teach the lie as truth and probably have lots of followers, but...

"Let them alone: they be blind leaders of the blind. And if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch." Matt 5:14

Thanks friend amadeus. It's amazing to me that there are so very many folk who believe that there is a God, but the biblical way to get to this God thru the Gospel, doesn't interest them. Instead, they construct their own highway to an imaginary god, and feel secure.

Another problem is, because the Gospel is preached in so many different venues, lost people have picked up the language of being born again. When you question them about their standing with God, they repeat those words and say, "O yes, I'm born again". I'm afraid that in this Country, there are many who fit into this category.

Loyal
Matt 7:21; "Not everyone who says to Me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter.
Matt 7:22; "Many will say to Me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?'
Matt 7:23; "And then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you; DEPART FROM ME, YOU WHO PRACTICE LAWLESSNESS.'

It seems these are people who know who Jesus is... (or at least claim to)
They say they've done miracles in His name. Prophesied in His name and cast out demons in His name.
They even call Him "Lord".

Loyal
because the Gospel is preached in so many different venues, lost people have picked up the language of being born again.

2 Tim 4:1; I solemnly charge you in the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who is to judge the living and the dead, and by His appearing and His kingdom:
2 Tim 4:2; preach the word; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort, with great patience and instruction.
2 Tim 4:3; For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but wanting to have their ears tickled, they will accumulate for themselves teachers in accordance to their own desires,
2 Tim 4:4; and will turn away their ears from the truth and will turn aside to myths.
2 Tim 4:5; But you, be sober in all things, endure hardship, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry.

It's pretty easy (at least here in Washington State) to find pastors that will preach anything you want to hear. Anything goes.
It seems that if there's a profit to be made, men will say anything you want them to, and so... "they accumulate teachers" that
go along with their own desires. Whatever those desires are.

Loyal
Jude 1:3 Beloved, while I was making every effort to write you about our common salvation, I felt the necessity to write to you appealing that you contend earnestly for the faith which was once for all handed down to the saints.
Jude 1:4 For certain persons have crept in unnoticed, those who were long beforehand marked out for this condemnation, ungodly persons who turn the grace of our God into licentiousness and deny our only Master and Lord, Jesus Christ.

Jude 1:10; But these men revile the things which they do not understand; and the things which they know by instinct, like unreasoning animals, by these things they are destroyed.
Jude 1:11; Woe to them! For they have gone the way of Cain, and for pay they have rushed headlong into the error of Balaam, and perished in the rebellion of Korah.
Jude 1:12; These are the men who are hidden reefs in your love feasts when they feast with you without fear, caring for themselves; clouds without water, carried along by winds; autumn trees without fruit, doubly dead, uprooted;
Jude 1:13; wild waves of the sea, casting up their own shame like foam; wandering stars, for whom the black darkness has been reserved forever.
Jude 1:14; It was also about these men that Enoch, in the seventh generation from Adam, prophesied, saying, "Behold, the Lord came with many thousands of His holy ones,
Jude 1:15; to execute judgment upon all, and to convict all the ungodly of all their ungodly deeds which they have done in an ungodly way, and of all the harsh things which ungodly sinners have spoken against Him."
Jude 1:16; These are grumblers, finding fault, following after their own lusts; they speak arrogantly, flattering people for the sake of gaining an advantage.

Loyal
What is the difference between those "who claim" to be Christians.
and those who really are Christians?

I've heard answers like, well, they didn't "really" believe in Jesus, or they weren't born again.
OK... lets say that's true.
What's the difference between someone who believes in Jesus, and someone who "really" believes in Jesus?
What's the difference between someone who "claims to be" born again, and someone who is really born again?

If you don't know the answer to those questions, how do you know if you are saved?

in our neighborhoods.

Jude 1:3 Beloved, while I was making every effort to write you about our common salvation, I felt the necessity to write to you appealing that you contend earnestly for the faith which was once for all handed down to the saints.
Jude 1:4 For certain persons have crept in unnoticed, those who were long beforehand marked out for this condemnation, ungodly persons who turn the grace of our God into licentiousness and deny our only Master and Lord, Jesus Christ.

Jude 1:10; But these men revile the things which they do not understand; and the things which they know by instinct, like unreasoning animals, by these things they are destroyed.
Jude 1:11; Woe to them! For they have gone the way of Cain, and for pay they have rushed headlong into the error of Balaam, and perished in the rebellion of Korah.
Jude 1:12; These are the men who are hidden reefs in your love feasts when they feast with you without fear, caring for themselves; clouds without water, carried along by winds; autumn trees without fruit, doubly dead, uprooted;
Jude 1:13; wild waves of the sea, casting up their own shame like foam; wandering stars, for whom the black darkness has been reserved forever.
Jude 1:14; It was also about these men that Enoch, in the seventh generation from Adam, prophesied, saying, "Behold, the Lord came with many thousands of His holy ones,
Jude 1:15; to execute judgment upon all, and to convict all the ungodly of all their ungodly deeds which they have done in an ungodly way, and of all the harsh things which ungodly sinners have spoken against Him."
Jude 1:16; These are grumblers, finding fault, following after their own lusts; they speak arrogantly, flattering people for the sake of gaining an advantage.

It has been a traditional Christian teaching that only a very few, the elect, are saved, and there is strong biblical evidence to support this notion. However, I reserve the right to disagree. I believe that God is loving; an when you love others, you don't seek to coerce them with threats of terrible punishments. So, I believe in a universal salvation, That does not mean cheap grace, that everyone gets off easily, however. I think many have forgotten how being in the presence of great beauty can be a painful experience of chastisement. Also, many too easily forget that healing can be a very painful process. To exist beyond the grace is to exist in a reality where we are free of teh struggle for survival. That means it is no longer us against the others. hence, all barriers between self and others re unnecessary and dropped. As such, we can enter into far deeper empathic bonds with others. That means sharing in their pains and sorrows. That means sharing in the pains and sorrows we inflicted on others. And that is a very painful experience, indeed, although it is a wondrous experience of unity.

Active
It has been a traditional Christian teaching that only a very few, the elect, are saved, and there is strong biblical evidence to support this notion. However, I reserve the right to disagree. I believe that God is loving; an when you love others, you don't seek to coerce them with threats of terrible punishments. So, I believe in a universal salvation, That does not mean cheap grace, that everyone gets off easily, however. I think many have forgotten how being in the presence of great beauty can be a painful experience of chastisement. Also, many too easily forget that healing can be a very painful process. To exist beyond the grace is to exist in a reality where we are free of teh struggle for survival. That means it is no longer us against the others. hence, all barriers between self and others re unnecessary and dropped. As such, we can enter into far deeper empathic bonds with others. That means sharing in their pains and sorrows. That means sharing in the pains and sorrows we inflicted on others. And that is a very painful experience, indeed, although it is a wondrous experience of unity.

I perceive that you've seen and been thru some pretty tough situations. I'm glad that you feel for others, and share in their feelings. That's a servants heart, good for you. Calvin did propose his theory that only the Elect would be saved. He got trapped in what I call the Pharaoh syndrome. He saw how God dealt with Pharaoh and reasoned that God dealt with all sinners that way, He was wrong.

There are two classes of Christians. The ELECT, and those who come to Christ thru THE GENERAL CALL OF THE GOSPEL. Calvin didn't take into account the fact that God is not willing that ANY perish.

I perceive that you've seen and been thru some pretty tough situations. I'm glad that you feel for others, and share in their feelings. That's a servants heart, good for you. Calvin did propose his theory that only the Elect would be saved. He got trapped in what I call the Pharaoh syndrome. He saw how God dealt with Pharaoh and reasoned that God dealt with all sinners that way, He was wrong.

There are two classes of Christians. The ELECT, and those who come to Christ thru THE GENERAL CALL OF THE GOSPEL. Calvin didn't take into account the fact that God is not willing that ANY perish.

Calvin was a classic theist,; that is to say, he followed the traditional model or picture of God as he is in his own nature. Accordingly, God was an immutable, passionless cosmic dictator. So Calvin's whole emphasis is on God's power, not God's love or sensitivity. His God is an ice-cold God, can experience no emption, most especially negative emotion. Calvin did preach on the wrath of God, but was careful to point out o the congregation that the biblical accounts of God's emotions are mere figures of speech, as God, in his own nature, is without any emotion, without any anger, just ice cold.

Staff Member

A couple of questions @hoghead

True that God is love, but He is also Just, Righteous, Holy etc. You are correct that you have the right to disagree, but not the right to determine what is biblically valid and hold others to such egesis. Such presumption on anyone's part is what gets them in trouble. Trouble meaning deceived into believing that they won't be judged and that there are other ways to be saved except through Christ Jesus.

And inasmuch as it is appointed for men to die once and after this comes judgment, so Christ also, having been offered once to bear the sins of many, will appear a second time for salvation without reference to sin, to those who eagerly await Him. Hebrews 9:27-28

Warnings are good! "Now Bobby don't go putting your hand in the fire or......" They will also prevent some from closing their eyes and stepping off a cliff because we weren't born naturally to walk or fly in the air. How do I know that? However, that knowledge does not prevent man from continuing to attempt to do so or children from getting burned!

I do have another question for you. What do you mean by Universal Salvation? Does this mean the Buddhist, Muslim, Hindu etc if they are faithful to their own belief system that they won't be judged by the Biblical Standard set for Salvation?

With the Love of Christ Jesus.
Nick
<><

Loyal
I do have another question for you. What do you mean by Universal Salvation? Does this mean the Buddhist, Muslim, Hindu etc if they are faithful to their own belief system that they won't be judged by the Biblical Standard set for Salvation?

I know this is an old thread. But I have a question along these lines as well. I know we have some confessed Universal Unitarians here on TalkJesus, and of course they believe everyone
is saved no matter what they believe in. (Even if it isn't the God of the Bible). But what are Atheists faithful to? What "belief system" or moral law will they be judged by?

Staff Member
I know this is an old thread. But I have a question along these lines as well. I know we have some confessed Universal Unitarians here on TalkJesus, and of course they believe everyone
is saved no matter what they believe in. (Even if it isn't the God of the Bible). But what are Atheists faithful to? What "belief system" or moral law will they be judged by?

Hello Dear Brother,
Since all fall short of the Glory of God. What belief outside of Jesus Christ can bridge the gap that exists, between us and God? Surely the belief system that includes the rejection of God will not.

With the Love of Christ Jesus.
YBIC
Nick
<><

P.S. Glad you brought back the thread to the head of the line. Maybe, with the turnover we've had, more responses will start coming in.
God bless Brother.