• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Are positive I am affirmations Biblical and can be used to improve oneself?

Hmmmm That sounds awful judgmental...Are we to judge other people?

Why the Hmmmm makes no sense?. I am not judging Joel Osteen the person I am judging what he teaches or preaches.

Joel Osten on Larry King above

Joel is a favourite of Oprah and others because, like her, he says nice smooth things does not like to upset people, never preaches about sin repentance or hell and waters down scripture to make it palatable to the masses. No one in his church will ever get saved through his message which is not the Gospel of Our Lord Jesus Christ and Him Crucified

Why the Hmmmm makes no sense?. I am not judging Joel Osteen the person I am judging what he teaches or preaches.

The Lord Jesus rebuked the Pharisees as Christians can't we do the same for obvious heretics?

Matthew 23:1-39

1 Then Jesus spoke to the crowds and to His disciples, 2 saying: “The scribes and the Pharisees have seated themselves in the chair of Moses; 3, therefore, all that they tell you, do and observe, but do not do according to their deeds; for they say things and do not do them. 4 “They tie up heavy burdens and lay them on men’s shoulders, but they themselves are unwilling to move them with so much as a finger. 5 “But they do all their deeds to be noticed by men; for they broaden their phylacteries and lengthen the tassels of their garments. 6 “They love the place of honour at banquets and the chief seats in the synagogues, 7 and respectful greetings in the market places, and being called Rabbi by men. 8 “But do not be called Rabbi; for One is your Teacher, and you are all brothers. 9 “Do not call anyone on earth your father; for One is your Father, He who is in heaven. 10 “Do not be called leaders; for One is your Leader, that is, Christ. 11 “But the greatest among you shall be your servant. 12 “Whoever exalts himself shall be humbled, and whoever humbles himself shall be exalted.
13 “But woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites, because you shut off the kingdom of heaven from people; for you do not enter in yourselves, nor do you allow those who are entering to go in. 14 [“Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites, because you devour widows’ houses, and for a pretence, you make long prayers; therefore you will receive greater condemnation.]
15 “Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites, because you travel around on sea and land to make one proselyte; and when he becomes one, you make him twice as much a son of hell as yourselves.
16 “Woe to you, blind guides, who say, ‘Whoever swears by the temple, that is nothing; but whoever swears by the gold of the temple is obligated.’ 17 “You fools and blind men! Which is more important, the gold or the temple that sanctified the gold? 18 “And, ‘Whoever swears by the altar, that is nothing, but whoever swears by the offering on it, he is obligated.’ 19 “You blind men, which is more important, the offering, or the altar that sanctifies the offering? 20 “Therefore, whoever swears by the altar, swears both by the altar and by everything on it. 21 “And whoever swears by the temple, swears both by the temple and by Him who dwells within it. 22 “And whoever swears by heaven, swears both by the throne of God and by Him who sits upon it.
23 “Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you tithe mint and dill and cummin, and have neglected the weightier provisions of the law: justice and mercy and faithfulness; but these are the things you should have done without neglecting the others. 24 “You blind guides, who strain out a gnat and swallow a camel!
25 “Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you clean the outside of the cup and of the dish, but inside they are full of robbery and self-indulgence. 26 “You blind Pharisee, first clean the inside of the cup and of the dish, so that the outside of it may become clean also.
27 “Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you are like whitewashed tombs which on the outside appear beautiful, but inside they are full of dead men’s bones and all uncleanness. 28 “So you, too, outwardly appear righteous to men, but inwardly you are full of hypocrisy and lawlessness.
29 “Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you build the tombs of the prophets and adorn the monuments of the righteous, 30 and say, ‘If we had been living in the days of our fathers, we would not have been partners with them in shedding the blood of the prophets.’ 31 “So you testify against yourselves, that you are sons of those who murdered the prophets. 32 “Fill up, then, the measure of the guilt of your fathers. 33 “You serpents, you brood of vipers, how will you escape the sentence of hell?
34 “Therefore, behold, I am sending you prophets and wise men and scribes; some of them you will kill and crucify, and some of them you will scourge in your synagogues, and persecute from city to city, 35 so that upon you may fall the guilt of all the righteous blood shed on earth, from the blood of righteous Abel to the blood of Zechariah, the son of Berechiah, whom you murdered between the temple and the altar. 36 “Truly I say to you, all these things will come upon this generation.
37 “Jerusalem, Jerusalem, who kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to her! How often I wanted to gather your children together, the way a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, and you were unwilling. 38 “Behold, your house is being left to you desolate! 39 “For I say to you, from now on you will not see Me until you say, ‘BLESSED IS HE WHO COMES IN THE NAME OF THE LORD!’”

Loyal

Joel Osten on Larry King above

Joel is a favourite of Oprah and others because, like her, he says nice smooth things does not like to upset people, never preaches about sin repentance or hell and waters down scripture to make it palatable to the masses. No one in his church will ever get saved through his message which is not the Gospel of Our Lord Jesus Christ and Him Crucified

The Lord Jesus rebuked the Pharisees as Christians can't we do the same for obvious heretics?

Matthew 23:1-39

1 Then Jesus spoke to the crowds and to His disciples, 2 saying: “The scribes and the Pharisees have seated themselves in the chair of Moses; 3, therefore, all that they tell you, do and observe, but do not do according to their deeds; for they say things and do not do them. 4 “They tie up heavy burdens and lay them on men’s shoulders, but they themselves are unwilling to move them with so much as a finger. 5 “But they do all their deeds to be noticed by men; for they broaden their phylacteries and lengthen the tassels of their garments. 6 “They love the place of honour at banquets and the chief seats in the synagogues, 7 and respectful greetings in the market places, and being called Rabbi by men. 8 “But do not be called Rabbi; for One is your Teacher, and you are all brothers. 9 “Do not call anyone on earth your father; for One is your Father, He who is in heaven. 10 “Do not be called leaders; for One is your Leader, that is, Christ. 11 “But the greatest among you shall be your servant. 12 “Whoever exalts himself shall be humbled, and whoever humbles himself shall be exalted.
13 “But woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites, because you shut off the kingdom of heaven from people; for you do not enter in yourselves, nor do you allow those who are entering to go in. 14 [“Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites, because you devour widows’ houses, and for a pretence, you make long prayers; therefore you will receive greater condemnation.]
15 “Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites, because you travel around on sea and land to make one proselyte; and when he becomes one, you make him twice as much a son of hell as yourselves.
16 “Woe to you, blind guides, who say, ‘Whoever swears by the temple, that is nothing; but whoever swears by the gold of the temple is obligated.’ 17 “You fools and blind men! Which is more important, the gold or the temple that sanctified the gold? 18 “And, ‘Whoever swears by the altar, that is nothing, but whoever swears by the offering on it, he is obligated.’ 19 “You blind men, which is more important, the offering, or the altar that sanctifies the offering? 20 “Therefore, whoever swears by the altar, swears both by the altar and by everything on it. 21 “And whoever swears by the temple, swears both by the temple and by Him who dwells within it. 22 “And whoever swears by heaven, swears both by the throne of God and by Him who sits upon it.
23 “Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you tithe mint and dill and cummin, and have neglected the weightier provisions of the law: justice and mercy and faithfulness; but these are the things you should have done without neglecting the others. 24 “You blind guides, who strain out a gnat and swallow a camel!
25 “Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you clean the outside of the cup and of the dish, but inside they are full of robbery and self-indulgence. 26 “You blind Pharisee, first clean the inside of the cup and of the dish, so that the outside of it may become clean also.
27 “Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you are like whitewashed tombs which on the outside appear beautiful, but inside they are full of dead men’s bones and all uncleanness. 28 “So you, too, outwardly appear righteous to men, but inwardly you are full of hypocrisy and lawlessness.
29 “Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you build the tombs of the prophets and adorn the monuments of the righteous, 30 and say, ‘If we had been living in the days of our fathers, we would not have been partners with them in shedding the blood of the prophets.’ 31 “So you testify against yourselves, that you are sons of those who murdered the prophets. 32 “Fill up, then, the measure of the guilt of your fathers. 33 “You serpents, you brood of vipers, how will you escape the sentence of hell?
34 “Therefore, behold, I am sending you prophets and wise men and scribes; some of them you will kill and crucify, and some of them you will scourge in your synagogues, and persecute from city to city, 35 so that upon you may fall the guilt of all the righteous blood shed on earth, from the blood of righteous Abel to the blood of Zechariah, the son of Berechiah, whom you murdered between the temple and the altar. 36 “Truly I say to you, all these things will come upon this generation.
37 “Jerusalem, Jerusalem, who kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to her! How often I wanted to gather your children together, the way a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, and you were unwilling. 38 “Behold, your house is being left to you desolate! 39 “For I say to you, from now on you will not see Me until you say, ‘BLESSED IS HE WHO COMES IN THE NAME OF THE LORD!’”
When you judge false teaching you do it scripturally or you do not do it at all.....And you did not do it scripturally....You want to know how the bible says to do it? Do your own study. I did mine.

Jesus says His mission is to bring "abundant life" to people. Many Christians I know embrace the Gospel, but lack the drive, curiosity, and initiative to pursue "the abidance life." Instead, they are so legalistic, so averse to travel,, hobbies and recreational pursuits that they live dull, depressing lives with very few friends. That is he major problem that Joel Osteen addresses very effectively, so that he has one of the greatest TV audiences. So I applaud him for that, despite areas of disagreement.

You can applaud Joel Osteen as a modern self-help guru, but nothing he says is about the Gospel of Salvation through the shed blood of the Lord Jesus, he never preaches ever teaches repentance and turning from sin or hell. He is a heretic period! Jesus is just a footnote he uses to get you under his demonic self-aggrandization of the Hindus Buddhas and new age teachers. He never preaches the Gospel and it is impossible for anyone to get saved in his many auditoria.

Loyal
all the prosperity Gospel teachers teach self indulgence, and self fulfillment,

the bible teaches self denial, self sacrifice

Then Jesus said to His disciples, "If anyone wishes to come after Me, he must deny himself, and take up his cross and follow Me.

Loyal

Then Jesus said to His disciples, "If anyone wishes to come after Me, he must deny himself, and take up his cross and follow Me.

Jesus was not interested one bit in the things of this world, neither should you or I be, this world is fallen, all Jesus did was teach us of the warnings and traps of this world especially chasing riches. Thats way he tells us NOT TO STORE UP TREASURES HERE ON EARTH, BUT TO STORE THEM UP IN HEAVEN !!

But the prosperity gospel teaches we should store up treasures here on earth, we should have big fat bank accounts, big nice cars and houses, and perfect health

. Seek the kingdom of God first and all things will be added is what Jesus Teaches !! prosperity gospel teaches to seek the riches on earth first and this is greed and idolatry if all you think is about is your self and what you need you are a idolater and it time to repent.

the message of the prosperity gospel is one of greed and covetousness I hope people these people repent, I judge not the messenger only the message

Loyal

Jesus was not interested one bit in the things of this world, neither should you or I be, this world is fallen, all Jesus did was teach us of the warnings and traps of this world especially chasing riches. Thats way he tells us NOT TO STORE UP TREASURES HERE ON EARTH, BUT TO STORE THEM UP IN HEAVEN !!

But the prosperity gospel teaches we should store up treasures here on earth, we should have big fat bank accounts, big nice cars and houses, and perfect health

. Seek the kingdom of God first and all things will be added is what Jesus Teaches !! prosperity gospel teaches to seek the riches on earth first and this is greed and idolatry if all you think is about is your self and what you need you are a idolater and it time to repent.

the message of the prosperity gospel is one of greed and covetousness I hope people these people repent, I judge not the messenger only the message
Dave I do not know who you are making these claims about but any of the ones I have seen do not even teach anything like you claim.

Loyal
Luke 9:23-24
And he said to all, “If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will save it.

Titus 2:11-12
For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation for all people, training us to renounce ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright, and godly lives in the present age,

the problem with Joel message and most of the tv preachers is they focus on this world, and all the things in it, look at there lifestyle they deny themselves of nothing they live for this world. There treasure is here in this world.

they are very clever and you have to dig deep in discernment to see what they are saying, if the message is focused on materialistic things of this world you better run folks. If the message is focused on enlarging your bank account you better run folks.

You see the flesh wants the worldly things like big bank accounts and nice cars, and big houses, the spirit could care less about these things and we are warned over and over again that these things are distractions and take our attention away from God and puts it on this world

James 4:4
You adulterous people! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Therefore whoever wishes to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God.

1 John 2:16
For all that is in the world—the desires of the flesh and the desires of the eyes and pride in possessions—is not from the Father but is from the world.

Hebrews 13:5
Keep your life free from love of money, and be content with what you have, for he has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.”

God Bless

Loyal
Joel Osteen does not add any scriptural references to his countless GodlessChristlesss I AM affirmation for instance? Below is direct from his web site and you can listen to him mouthing off this in his many youtube videos

[Let these positive affirmations from Joel Osteen bring success to your life in all areas. His affirmations are life transforming, use them to alter your mindset and your life for the better. Repeat these affirmations to yourself daily and you will see a positive change in your life. Invite the right I AM’s into your life and live a life of prosperity. From Joel Osteen's website}

NOT A WORD ABOUT THE WILL OF GOD OR JESUS

I AM Blessed LIE I AM FORTUNATE

I AM Talented? LIE I HAVE NO SPECIAL TALENTS

I AM Healthy LIE

I Am Strong LIE

I Only Invite The Best Things Into My Life LIE

I AM Disciplined LIE

I AM Focused LIE

I AM Confident LIE WHAT DOES THAT MEAN

I AM Attractive LIE

I AM Getting Younger LIE

I AM Being Renewed In My Youth LIE

I AM Full Of Health LIE

I AM Full of Vitality LIE

I AM Full Of Wholeness LIe

I AM Young LIE

I AM EnergeticcLIE

I AM Vibrant LIE

I AM RadiantLIE

I AM Fresh LIE

I AM Improving LIE

I AM A Masterpiece LIE

I AM Royalty A REALLY BIG LIE

I AM Surrounded By Blessings LIE CHRISTIANS STRUGGLE

I AM Empowered BY WHAT?

It is just new age babbling nothing sort of lifting yourself up by your own shoe strings
This is fine as far as it goes. That I can recall I have never heard the man preach or teach. My post simply addressed what I saw. I will leave the real condemnation where it always belongs...

Loyal
Hmmmm That sounds awful judgmental...Are we to judge other people?
Is there a need to finally judge another?

"He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.
John 3:18-16

Of course as God lets us see the error of another He may also lead us to warn others, but until we are so led, perhaps it is best to remain silent:

"To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:" Ecc 3:1

"...a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;" Ecc 3:7

When is God's time for us?

Loyal
On the affirmations in the OP, my question would be whether this represents the core of a message or if it's presented as a feel good pick-me-up.

Using a food/diet analogy for teaching, sometimes a spoonful of sweet honey can be the perfect thing for a given moment. Long term, a solid diet of honey and candy is not going to be enough to keep you resilient and healthy.

Staff Member
Positive affirmations are a wordly concept
A "feel good " exercise

Not I, but Christ be honored, loved, exalted,
Not I, but Christ be seen, be known and heard;
Not I, but Christ in every look and action,
Not I, but Christ in every thought and word.

Oh, to be saved from myself, dear Lord,
Oh, to be lost in Thee,
Oh, that it may be no more I,
But Christ that lives in me.

Christ, only Christ, no idle word e’er falling,
Christ, only Christ, no needless bustling sound;
Christ, only Christ, no self-important bearing,
Christ, only Christ, no trace of I be found.

Perverse disputings of men of corrupt minds, and destitute of the truth, supposing that gain is godliness: from such withdraw thyself
But godliness with contentment is great gain.
For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out.
And having food and raiment let us be therewith content.
But they that will be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and hurtful lusts, which drown men in destruction and perdition.
For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.
1 Timothy 6:5-10

Staff Member

Oh, to be lost in Thee,

all day every day is a good start. Now to live it!

thank you for those words @Fragrant Grace

Bless you ....><>

Loyal
Fragrant Grace,Positive affirmations are a wordly concept
A "feel good " exercise

Oh, to be lost in Thee,

Perverse disputings of men of corrupt minds, and destitute of the truth, supposing that gain is godliness: from such withdraw thyself
For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out.
But they that will be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and hurtful lusts, which drown men in destruction and perdition.
For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

@Fragrant Grace Praise the Lord for this wonderful teaching you have shared with us.

Loyal
Positive affirmations are a wordly concept
A "feel good " exercise

Oh, to be lost in Thee,

Which honors God the best? To say about myself, what He says. or what I feel like, or what the enemy whispers in my ears?
I could say something (very common) "I'm just a sinner saved by Grace....NOT! God says "2 Corinthians 5:21 For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him. God says I'm the righteousness of God in the anointed one and His anointing.... We can be a sinner, or we can be the righteousness of God...not both. I'll take the righteousness because THAT's what Jesus gave me.

I could say. "I had a heart attack, I'm going to die soon." But God said "1 Peter 2:24 (KJV) 24 Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.
So, do I honor God by repeating His words? or not?

We honor our God by believing and speaking what He speaks the best....Remember too, that Satan comes up with counterfeits of everything God has given us...Positive affirmation as the world does it is not based on truth but wishful thinking, whereas we KNOW that the Word of God is true...We say what He says, speaking the truth, and then acting on it...That way we honor Him and not ourselves... Not my words but His always.

Oh, to be lost in Thee,

What does God say about me?
Because He IS I am...

1 I am a child of God (Romans 8:16)
2 I am Redeemed from the hand of the enemy (Psalm 107:2)
3 I am Forgiven (Colossians 1:13,14)
4 I am Saved by grace through faith (Ephesians 2:8)
5 I am Justified (Romans 5:1)
6 I am Sanctified (1 Corinthians 6:11)
7 I am a new creature (2 Corinthians 5:17)
8 I am partaker of His Divine Nature (2 Peter 1:4)
9 I am redeemed from the curse of the Law (Galatians 3:13)
10 I am delivered from the powers of darkness (Colossians 1:13)
11 I am led by the Spirit of God (Romans 8:14)
12 I am a son of God (Romans 8:14)
13 I am kept in safety wherever I go (Psalm 91:11)
14 I am getting all my needs met by Jesus (Philippians 4:19)
15 I am casting all my cares upon Jesus (1 Peter 5:7)
16 I am strong in the Lord and in the power of His might (Ephesians 6:10)
17 I am doing all things through Christ who strengthens me (Philippians
4:13)
18 I am an heir of God and a joint-heir with Jesus (Romans 8:17)
19 I am heir to the blessings of Abraham (Galatians 3:13,14)
20 I am observing and doing the Lord's Commandments (Deut 28:12)
21 I am blessed coming in and out (Deut 28:6)
22 I am an heir to eternal life (1 John 5:11,12)
23 I am blessed with all spiritual blessings (Ephesians 1:3)
24 I am healed by His stripes (1 Peter 2:24)
25 I am exercising my authority over the enemy (Luke 10:19)
26 I am above only and not beneath (Deut 28:13)
27 I am more than a conqueror (Romans 8:37)
28 I am establishing God's Word here on earth (Matthew 16:19)
29 I am an overcomer by the blood of the Lamb and Word of my testimony
(Revelation 12:11)
30 I am daily overcoming the devil (1 John 4:4)
31 I am not moved by what I see (2 Corinthians 4:18)
32 I am walking by faith and not by sight (2 Corinthians 5:7)
33 I am casting down vain imaginations (1 Corinthians 10:4,5)
34 I am bringing every thought into captivity (2 Corinthians 10:5)
35 I am being transformed by a renewed mind (Romans 12:1,2)
36 I am a laborer together with God (1 Corinthians 3:9)
37 I am the righteousness of God in Christ (2 Corinthians 5:21)
38 I am an imitator of Jesus (Ephesians 5:1)
39 I am the light of the world (Matthew 5:14)
40 I am sanctified (purified; consecrated) Heb 2:11 / 10:10
41 I am blessing the Lord at all times and continually praising the Lord with
my mouth Psa. 34:1
42 I am loved... therefore I can love. 1John 4:19
43 I am accepted in The Beloved Eph. 1:6
44 I am His workmanship, created in Jesus, the anointed, unto the good
works, which He has planned for me to do. Eph 2:10
45 I am rich in all things good. 2 Cor. 8:9
46 I am crowned with loving kindness and tender mercies.
Psalms. 103:4
47 I am the temple of the Living God. He lives in me. 2 Cor: 6:16
48 I am living by faith Rom. 1:17
49 I am blessed, because I believe God's Word Lu. 1; 37-45
50 I am holy for I trust in, and rely on Him Psa. 86
51 I am fearfully and wonderfully made Psalm 139:14
52 I am free from the law of sin and death in Christ.(The Anointed One and
His Anointing) Romans 8:2

53 I am free of all guilt in the anointing. Romans 8:1

54 I cannot be separated from the Love of God. Romans 8:39

55 I am triumphant in the anointing 2 Corinthians 2:14

56 I have been raised up to sit in heavenly places Ephesians 2:6

57 I am called with a holy calling 2 Timothy 1:9

58 I dwell in God and God dwells in be because of the anointing 1John 4:16

59 I am the head and not the tail Deuteronomy 28:13

I believe that the words "I Am" are two of the most powerful words a believer can say because they will lock them in with the Father. God is therefore I am. Claiming these promises these words of the bible will have the effect of clarifying (perfecting) our awareness of our identity with Divinity which conceives and controls all the details of our lives by faith.

Staff Member
Greetings @Bendito

Thank you for sharing those wonderful verses. They tell us so beautifully of the Lord's love mercy and grace in our lives.

All glory to His name

Loyal
So what happens when Christians spout this phony humility? "Oh, I'm not worthy." I'm just an unworthy sinner." "All I need is just enough for me and my family to get by." "Blah blah blah." How can Jesus do love for you if you block Him with this kind of words? How can He bless you if you keep speaking the curse over yourself? I understand many Christians don't like it but WE are the masters of our eternity..We are the masters of our prosperity or lack...We win or lose by the words we use. I also know that many Christians deny that their words have power...Yet, if their words have no power, why will we be judged for them?

Matthew 12:35-36
35 The good person brings forth good things from his store of good, and the evil person brings forth evil things from his store of evil. 36 Moreover, I tell you this: on the Day of Judgment people will have to give account for every careless word they have spoken; 37 for by your own words you will be acquitted, and by your own words you will be condemned.”