• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Are lawsuits unchristian?

The scriptures are very clear about forgiveness and mercy. In James 2:13 we are told that mercy is above law. In Matt. 6:14-15 we are told that we would not be forgiven if we do not forgive others. In the Lord’s Prayer (Luke 6:12) we ask God to forgive us the way we forgive others. In Luke 17:4 Jesus tells us that we must forgive others repeatedly. In Romans 12: 17-21 Paul tells us to not pay evil with evil, never take revenge, feed our enemy, not allow evil to defeat us and to over come evil with good. He further tells us in 1Cor. 6:7 that a legal dispute is a sign of our complete failure; and that it is better to be wronged or robbed than to wrong others or rob them.

In the Old covenant people lived by the laws that were written by letters carved on stone (2 Cor. 3:7). Therefore, it was, eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth (Lv. 24:20). In the New Covenant, we live by the Spirit; which means, the Spirit of God is imprinted on our fleshy hearts (2 Cor. 3:3). We are therefore, taught (Matt. 5: 39-40; Luke 6: 30; Matt. 5: 44) to offer no resistance to the person who is evil; offer the other cheek when struck on one; if any one sues us for our tunic, hand him our cloak as well; give to everyone who asks and do not demand back what others have taken from us; love our enemies; and pray for those persecute us.

When we wronged God and rejected His friendship, He did not sue us or take revenge, or condemn us or give up on us or hold resentment against us. On the contrary, because of His love for us, He wanted to save us from death. He therefore, compensated for our sins (that we committed against him), forgave us, and put His life back in us by sacrificing His own. In other words, He the victim, compensated for the crimes, we the convicts, committed against Him by His own life. In fact He even died for those who tortured Him and killed Him. In doing this He showed us that to truly love and forgive, is not only to give up resentment or claim we have against our offenders, but also to compensate for their wrongdoings. We as Christians should do the same by praying for our offenders and sacrificing our own self in the process of helping them to recover from their wrongful way of life.

Since God has forgiven us of all our grave offenses we have committed against Him, we must forgive our fellow human beings of their offenses. This reason is illustrated in the story of the unforgiving servant (Matt. 18:21-34), who owed a very large debt to his master. His master forgave the entire amount, out of compassion and mercy. The servant however, did not show the same mercy to his fellow servant and sued him for a much smaller debt. The master therefore, imposed severe punishment of the unforgiving servant. Since God forgave us of all our sins by sacrificing His own life, how can we ever sue anyone for anything?

arunangelo said:
The scriptures are very clear about forgiveness and mercy. In James 2:13 we are told that mercy is above law. In Matt. 6:14-15 we are told that we would not be forgiven if we do not forgive others. In the Lord’s Prayer (Luke 6:12) we ask God to forgive us the way we forgive others. In Luke 17:4 Jesus tells us that we must forgive others repeatedly. In Romans 12: 17-21 Paul tells us to not pay evil with evil, never take revenge, feed our enemy, not allow evil to defeat us and to over come evil with good. He further tells us in 1Cor. 6:7 that a legal dispute is a sign of our complete failure; and that it is better to be wronged or robbed than to wrong others or rob them.

In the Old covenant people lived by the laws that were written by letters carved on stone (2 Cor. 3:7). Therefore, it was, eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth (Lv. 24:20). In the New Covenant, we live by the Spirit; which means, the Spirit of God is imprinted on our fleshy hearts (2 Cor. 3:3). We are therefore, taught (Matt. 5: 39-40; Luke 6: 30; Matt. 5: 44) to offer no resistance to the person who is evil; offer the other cheek when struck on one; if any one sues us for our tunic, hand him our cloak as well; give to everyone who asks and do not demand back what others have taken from us; love our enemies; and pray for those persecute us.

When we wronged God and rejected His friendship, He did not sue us or take revenge, or condemn us or give up on us or hold resentment against us. On the contrary, because of His love for us, He wanted to save us from death. He therefore, compensated for our sins (that we committed against him), forgave us, and put His life back in us by sacrificing His own. In other words, He the victim, compensated for the crimes, we the convicts, committed against Him by His own life. In fact He even died for those who tortured Him and killed Him. In doing this He showed us that to truly love and forgive, is not only to give up resentment or claim we have against our offenders, but also to compensate for their wrongdoings. We as Christians should do the same by praying for our offenders and sacrificing our own self in the process of helping them to recover from their wrongful way of life.

Since God has forgiven us of all our grave offenses we have committed against Him, we must forgive our fellow human beings of their offenses. This reason is illustrated in the story of the unforgiving servant (Matt. 18:21-34), who owed a very large debt to his master. His master forgave the entire amount, out of compassion and mercy. The servant however, did not show the same mercy to his fellow servant and sued him for a much smaller debt. The master therefore, imposed severe punishment of the unforgiving servant. Since God forgave us of all our sins by sacrificing His own life, how can we ever sue anyone for anything?
What about a situation of a deadbeat dad not paying support for his children, Taking legal action in order to enforce some one to be responsible is not evil and not taking legal action and forgetting the matter is not necessarily mercy or love is it? Justice is still important. The bible is clear we should not have disputes between believers end up in civil court, we should work them out. And if one fails to comply, Paul said to break fellowship with them.

I worked in litigation for 17 years throughout the United States. There is nothing more ugly. Litigation is the epitome of darkness. Recently, I had the basis for two law suits--a wrongful death, and false arrest. In the former, I went to the doctor's office and told him I forgave him--I think he was in a state of shock. In the latter, I let the person know I was a Christian: I don't know what his reaction was when the suit didn't came. In each instance, I could have picked up a bunch of money. However, the Lord has taken care of me since then, many times in amazing ways.

Still, I believe there are times when law suits are necessary. It's a matter of prayer and guidance.

Paul

Administrator
Staff Member
What a coincidence. I hate lawsuits as well, but again sometimes it is necessary to enforce fairness and justice. Its sad, but true. I'm probably about to file my first lawsuit ever against anyone for wrongfully using my company name on his site (a web hosting review site) without my permission, denying any responsiblity and assuming his 'disclaimer" over-rides my request for him to remove any mention of my company name from his pathetic site.

These things are so ridiculous and unbelievable, but I won't back down. I have a serious reputation to protect for my company and I work very hard. I won't let a fool hurt me in anyway like that.

Despite what many may think, our duty as christians is to indure our trials, I being Eliza would know all about this, for I have truely experienced proscutions of the devil if anyone have, yet I say let it stand against them on the final day, for it is comming, and we are a lot closer than most think...

Eliza.

Registered Member
Jesus is Lord!

Academic Law, America:

What about the history of the establishment of academic laws pertaining to the education of our children with special needs (i.e., I.D.E.A.)? Write or wrong?

Your Sister in Christ,
Dr. Bon Vie

Last edited:
Chad said:
What a coincidence. I hate lawsuits as well, but again sometimes it is necessary to enforce fairness and justice. Its sad, but true. I'm probably about to file my first lawsuit ever against anyone for wrongfully using my company name on his site (a web hosting review site) without my permission, denying any responsiblity and assuming his 'disclaimer" over-rides my request for him to remove any mention of my company name from his pathetic site.

These things are so ridiculous and unbelievable, but I won't back down. I have a serious reputation to protect for my company and I work very hard. I won't let a fool hurt me in anyway like that.

Isn't it funny that the references in the Bible to Satan have him arguing like a lawyer. In dealing with litigation, look at what is going on spiritually first, and then review all the technical stuff, for the best outcome. The key is always patience. It will work out fine, at least satisfactorily, if you can just wait, and keep waiting.

The ACLJ has done some very good litigation. Those cases are excellent examples of pursing litigation and being Godly.

Paul

In the old Covenant people lived by the laws, that were carved on stone. In the New Covenant we have to live by the Spirit of Christ, which is Divine Mercy. In other words, the heart of redemption is Mercy and forgiveness. Therefore, if we go by the letter of the law, but reject mercy and forgiveness, we reject redemption (Matt. 6: 14,15). Jesus showed us that to truly love and forgive, is not only to give up resentment or claim we have against our offenders, but also to compensate for their wrongdoings. Jesus did not sue those who hurt and killed Him. He offered them salvation by dying on the cross. He offered the other cheek. We have only two choices, to live like Jesus did or to reject His life.

Administrator
Staff Member
arunangelo said:
In the old Covenant people lived by the laws, that were carved on stone. In the New Covenant we have to live by the Spirit of Christ, which is Divine Mercy. In other words, the heart of redemption is Mercy and forgiveness. Therefore, if we go by the letter of the law, but reject mercy and forgiveness, we reject redemption (Matt. 6: 14,15). Jesus showed us that to truly love and forgive, is not only to give up resentment or claim we have against our offenders, but also to compensate for their wrongdoings. Jesus did not sue those who hurt and killed Him. He offered them salvation by dying on the cross. He offered the other cheek. We have only two choices, to live like Jesus did or to reject His life.

Yes, very good example. Truthfully, I can't imagine Jesus pressing charges against someone, but I certainly can see Him enforcing His commandments

I have studied up on this question some time ago.

I have studied up on this question some time ago and I can not remember all the reasons I came to certain conclussions.

The answers are both yes and no as I remember. If the other person is a christian too it is better to work it out between the two of you than to go to court.

If the other person is not christian it is advisable to set a good christian example in honor and honesty but it may be as needs be that the court case is necessary to ward off evil.

Sorry! I have not gone into it in depth this time but it dose call for a lengthy explanation of which I am quite tired this evening so I'll pass to someone else on this.

In the :love: of the LORD, Yeshua :boy_hug: :clock: :umbrella:

jiggyfly said:
What about a situation of a deadbeat dad not paying support for his children, Taking legal action in order to enforce some one to be responsible is not evil and not taking legal action and forgetting the matter is not necessarily mercy or love is it? Justice is still important. The bible is clear we should not have disputes between believers end up in civil court, we should work them out. And if one fails to comply, Paul said to break fellowship with them.

Last edited:
Just curious: This exact same opinion is posted on about 10 other forums. Is there a reason for that?