• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Apocrypha?????

I wonder why so many books have been taken out of the bible from the soul purpose of other poeplse opinion. Right now i'm reading these lost gosples and they are helping me understand the bible with a different set of eyes, so if this is the problem why take them out in the first place. I know that this can be argued and have a good explanation why but to me thats like having a steak dinner without a steak and tater with a nice glass of lemonade. If it is the true word of God then its not our job to take or revise the bible in our own satisfactery.

Wow evidentally I am not alone and neither are you...you ask very good (familiar) questions.....check out the thread under Coundil forum I started entitled "inclusion / exclusion text". Hope it helps you as well, some good thoughts there.

Be blessed brother

Administrator
Staff Member
Source: Holy Spirit
Article: gotquesitons.org

Question: "What are the Apocrypha / Deuterocanonical books? Do the Apocryphal / Deuterocanonical books belong in the Bible?"

Answer: Roman Catholics Bibles have several more books in the Old Testament than Christian Bibles. These books are referred to as the Apocrypha or Deuterocanonical books. The Apocrypha were written primarily in the time between the Old and New Testaments. The nation of Israel treated the Deuterocanonical books with respect, but never accepted them as true books of the Hebrew Bible. The early Christian church debated the status of the Apocrypha, but almost always rejected them from being included in the Bible. Probably the most conclusive argument against the Deuterocanonical books being included in the Bible is the fact that the New Testament nowhere quotes or alludes to any of the Apocryphal books.

The Apocrypha / Deuterocanonical books teach many things that are not true and are not historically accurate. The Roman Catholic church officially added the Apocrypha to their Bible after the Protestant Reformation because it supports some of the things that the Roman Catholic church believes and practices which are not in agreement with the Bible. Some of what the Apocrypha says is true and correct, but if you read it, you have to treat it as a fallible historical document, not as the inspired, authoritative Word of God.

I have read the entire Bible with and without the Apocrypha, and I respectfully differ that the Apocrypha adds anything to biblical understanding.

The reason for ommision of the Apocrypha is that the general Christian community does not consider the apocryphal writings to be the inspired word of God. Note that the writings were not in the Hebrew Old Testament, even though they supposedly describe events in Jewish history. We may think of them as interesting supplemental history, but they are included by denominations that have traditions which depart from the truth that faith in Jesus Christ is the sole requirement for salvation. Denominations that include apocrypha variously look toward man-made rituals and intermediaries such as Saints, Priests, and the Virgin Mary as integral to their religious practices.

I found the following from the Electronic Text Center, University of Virginia:

What is the Apocrypha?

"The term "apocrypha" was coined by the fifth-century biblical scholar St. Jerome and refers to the biblical books included as part of the Septuagint (the Greek version of the Old Testament), but not included in the Hebrew Bible.

"Several works ranging from the fourth century B.C.E. to New Testament times are considered apocryphal--including Judith, the Wisdom of Solomon, Tobit, Sirach (or Ecclesiasticus), Baruch, First and Second Maccabees, the two Books of Esdras, various additions to the Book of Esther (10:4-10), the Book of Daniel (3:24-90;13;14), and the Prayer of Manasseh.

"The apocrypha have been variously included and omitted from bibles over the course of the centuries. Protestant churches generally exclude the apocrypha (though the King James version of 1611 included them). The Roman Catholic and Orthodox churches include all of the apocrypha (except for the books of Esdras and the Prayer of Manasseh), but refer to them as "deuterocanonical" books. In this context, the term "apocrypha" generally refers to writings entirely outside of the biblical canon and not considered inspired (such as the Gospel of Thomas). These same books are referred to by Protestants as the "pseudoepigrapha."

greeting brothers and sisters,

This is my first contribution, just found the website and I am curiouslly navigating it. The issue of the apocrypha, gnostics, dueturocanonical, was mostly decided in the third century A.D. at the council of Nicea. From there, it may be supposed the Bible was assmebled by several hundred Bishops from the early Judeo-Christian fellowship, at the behest of Emperor Constantine. It is not certain if Constantines theoritical "school marm" function at this council is entirely accurate, as he was a violent Roman emperor, who subsequent to this assembley persecuted "non-Christians" to death after the law hereafter was concieved.
My contention is the Apostle Paul laid much of the ground work for the Judeo-christian belief to be "hijacked" later on by world rulers, who sought to use to creation of a new religion to better control those in servitude, i.e. "slaves be good to your masters, all authority comes from God to those in high places, etc". The Catholic Church has virtually made a business out of turning the gospel message into a "opiate of the masses" whereapon idol worship and pagean religious practices could be incorporated into a super religion for the nouvus ordo seclorum (new world order)
My advice, read them and decide for yourself. I don't insist you be blind Christian brother, who is afraid to challenge the "inspired word of God" for its merit. If Christ be in you, let him be a light unto your path, what works he has started, He is Faithful to complete.

I've read some of the books of the Apocrypha, and some can be useful. The books of the Maccabees, for instance, do shed some light on the history of Israel between the Testaments, but I can see why they were left out of the Canon of Scripture. They definately lack divine authority.

The Book of Thomas contains some fanciful stories. From the Gospels, we know that Jesus only performed miracles after He was baptised by the Holy Spirit at the Jordan River. We also know that Jesus only did miracles out of compassion - to help people. In the book of Thomas, we have the child Jesus, turning wooden doves into real ones. Sorry, this cannot be true, as it contradicts the gospels. See John 2:11

After looking into this issue myself with an open mind, and after reading the Bible (many times), some of the Apocrypha as well as the Lost Books, I easily came to the conclusion that only the words of the Bible are divinely inspired by God, authoritative and infallible. In fact, the difficiencies of the other works were much more obvious than I thought they would be.

I can easily see why some books were chosen to be included in the Canon of Scripture and why the others were left out

If I want to learn about God, His world and if I want Him to speak to me, I'm going to stick to the Bible

:love:
evangeline

Last edited:
Administrator
Staff Member
Amen evangeline :) Same here.

Why settle for less than the direct authorized Word of GOD?

I was given a King James version of the Bible many years ago. It is 160 yrs. old and in between the Old and New Testements are the apocrypha books. This had surprised me at the time , becuse I had not realized they were contained in the King James, you can not find any like this today. . It's a big Bible like the Family Bibles and has beautyful illistrated pictures with a papyrus like sheeting over each picture. As for the apocrypha books I read them , but I choose to just use the standered King James Bible. I keep the other one because its unique.

greyfeather said:
I was given a King James version of the Bible many years ago. It is 160 yrs. old and in between the Old and New Testements are the apocrypha books. This had surprised me at the time , becuse I had not realized they were contained in the King James, you can not find any like this today. . It's a big Bible like the Family Bibles and has beautyful illistrated pictures with a papyrus like sheeting over each picture. As for the apocrypha books I read them , but I choose to just use the standered King James Bible. I keep the other one because its unique.

That is very interesting greyfeather. Do you know who published it and it's date?

jiggifly,
Whew!, sorry I was on a bit ago and I saw your question. I had to go offline and dig out my things in order to get too the Bible I was reffering to. I had my son make a box for it and I keep it wraped and in that up in the closet. I was wrong on the date .... Insiide the Bible it only says this......Philadelphia .... James Harding 1852. So it is only 154 years old not 160 as I had said. Thats the only thing written in it . Anyway I wanted to reply to your question .

greyfeather said:
jiggifly,
Whew!, sorry I was on a bit ago and I saw your question. I had to go offline and dig out my things in order to get too the Bible I was reffering to. I had my son make a box for it and I keep it wraped and in that up in the closet. I was wrong on the date .... Insiide the Bible it only says this......Philadelphia .... James Harding 1852. So it is only 154 years old not 160 as I had said. Thats the only thing written in it . Anyway I wanted to reply to your question .

Thank you greyfeather, I will see if I canfind anything on it here. Thanks again for the info.

evangeline said:
I've read some of the books of the Apocrypha, and some can be useful. The books of the Maccabees, for instance, do shed some light on the history of Israel between the Testaments, but I can see why they were left out of the Canon of Scripture. They definately lack divine authority.
The Book of Thomas contains some fanciful stories. From the Gospels, we know that Jesus only performed miracles after He was baptised by the Holy Spirit at the Jordan River. We also know that Jesus only did miracles out of compassion - to help people. In the book of Thomas, we have the child Jesus, turning wooden doves into real ones. Sorry, this cannot be true, as it contradicts the gospels. See John 2:11
After looking into this issue myself with an open mind, and after reading the Bible (many times), some of the Apocrypha as well as the Lost Books, I easily came to the conclusion that only the words of the Bible are divinely inspired by God, authoritative and infallible. In fact, the difficiencies of the other works were much more obvious than I thought they would be.
I can easily see why some books were chosen to be included in the Canon of Scripture and why the others were left out
If I want to learn about God, His world and if I want Him to speak to me, I'm going to stick to the Bible
evangeline

Amen, evangeline. You completely covered it! Thanks for sharing your understanding in this clear and concise post.