• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Amazing Grace

Amazing Grace

A tablet on the north wall of the Church of St. Mary, Woolnoth, contains the inscription:

"John Newton, clerk, once an infidel and libertine, a seller of slaves in Africa, was, by the rich mercy of our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ, preserved, restored, pardoned, and appointed to preach the faith he had long labored to destroy."

These simple words describe in rugged terseness and brief outline the life story of the writer of the famous hymn, "Amazing Grace."

Speaking of the momentous change which occurred when "the wicked, licentious libertine" was transformed into a disciple of the Lord Jesus Christ, he says in another of his hymns:

In evil long I took delight,
Unawed by shame or fear,
Till a new object struck my sight,
And stopped my wild career.

I saw One hanging on a tree
In agonies and blood,
Who fixed His longing eyes on me,
As near His cross I stood.

Like the demoniac among the tombs (Luke 8:27-39), this man, on whom the laws of God and the bonds of society and civilization had no power, was changed. The lion was turned into the lamb at the sight of the Victim of Calvary, and by the power of the gospel of the grace of God (Romans 1:16).

It was not the ethical Christ, the founder of the Christian religion, nor the exemplary Christ, the object of modern thought, but rather was it the rejected, thorn-crowned, pierced, dying Christ of God.
John Newton needed something deeper than the ethics of Christianity, and something more powerful than the example of perfect manhood to change the evil within him and remove the guilt of a life of sin. He found it, not by an elaborate system of prayers and penances, but while yet in the midst of his sin. He learned that "God commendeth His love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us" (Romans 5:8). The condescending love of Christ to a rebel so unworthy touched his heart and smote his long-seared conscience. It brought home to him the awful sin of which he was guilty in rejecting a love which was so full and doing despite to the salvation which was so free.

The sight of a crucified Saviour not only wrought conviction of sin, but brought peace to his heart.

Another look He gave which said,
I freely all forgive;
This blood is for thy ransom paid,
I die that thou mayest live

Here Newton saw the love of God supplying the sacrifice which His holiness demanded (Hebrews 9:25,26), the Son of God stepping into the place of ungodly men and at the hands of a just God suffering the wrath and condemnation due to man on account of sin. On the ground of what Christ has accomplished, God can now be just and justify all who come to Him through the Lord Jesus Christ (1 Peter 3:18). By trusting in that finished work the "African blasphemer" was saved.

Truly, this is "Amazing Grace"!

You may be as deeply sunk in sin as John Newton was, or you may be an upright and virtuous person. However, if the revelation which brought conviction and conversion to the slave trader has never been yours, you are still "in the gall of bitterness and in the bond of iniquity" (Acts 8:23).

The grace of God which softened and saved and raised up John Newton as a witness is unmerited and free. God is no respecter of persons. His grace extends to you: "For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God" (Ephesians 2:8). The precious blood which cleansed John Newton's crimson stains was shed for you (1 John 1:7; 2:2). The Word of God thus assures you of salvation if you will but believe on His Son (see Acts 16:31). Then, like John Newton, you will be able to sing:

'Twas grace that taught my heart to fear,
And grace my fears relieved;
How precious did that grace appear,
The hour I first believed!

Thro' many dangers, toils, and snares,
I have already come;
'Tis grace hath brought me safe thus far,
And grace will lead me home.

Glory to God!
-mwtb.org(moments with the Book)

It was not the ethical Christ, the founder of the Christian religion, nor the exemplary Christ, the object of modern thought, but rather was it the rejected, thorn-crowned, pierced, dying Christ of God.
John Newton needed something deeper than the ethics of Christianity, and something more powerful than the example of perfect manhood to change the evil within him and remove the guilt of a life of sin. He found it, not by an elaborate system of prayers and penances, but while yet in the midst of his sin. He learned that "God commendeth His love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us" (Romans 5:8). The condescending love of Christ ...

This condescending Christ...this Christ is the One this world needs...this is the One I need. Don`t preach to me another Jesus.

The way I see it, men have long condescended to 'accept' God into their lives, as those who would accept a beggar into their home to eat at their table, hoping He will bring them no disgrace, nor dirty their lily white linens with His hands, while allowing them to appear as good men who condescend to those of low estate to their friends and neighbors. Is this not the good fortune every man seeks, to "appear" as highly favored and blessed to all men by the things and abilities he possesses? Oh my God! Who is the beggar here?

I read a woman yesterday saying: "I wish God was a little more reliable on his promises of prosperity and providing a future. It's hard to maintain faith when every door gets slammed in your face....Every crumb I receive that seems promising gets snatched away."

Prosperity and provision? He has not left you a crumb to boast of, you say? Is the feast HE placed in front of YOU not enough? Is God now disgracing you, have His hands soiled your freshly pressed and starched linens, and ruined all your well laid out plans? YOU invited him to YOUR feast, and it seems He did you no good at all.

Tho you be a worm, you aught to sink lower still, and thank Him for crushing your pride.

The whole world can sing Amazing Grace...it is one of the most recognized songs in every tongue and nation on earth...they know the words...can carry the tune...and can even don a look of proper humility while singing it...yet so few seem to be able to take their eyes off themselves long enough to consider what it cost for God to prepare such a feast for beggars such as you and I.

----------------------------------------------------------------

‎"You are not mature if you have a high esteem of yourself. He who boasts in himself is but a babe in Christ, if indeed he be in Christ at all."

(Charles Spurgeon)