• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

alternative therapy

Eve

Hi,

I'm a bit nervous about writing this thread but hopefully God will give me a bit of courage so here goes.

Individuals from my local church and many other churches in the area are getting together to do an 'alternative therapy' festival with a christian spin on it. This very high profile event is due to be held in May. It is designed to educate people that there are many therapy techniques and methods available the can help them that do not have their basis in the occult or strange practices from other religions.

My question is, obviously there are ok therepies out there but until I can attend this festival and see for myself, I'm not sure as to what is acceptable and what isn't in the Christian domain. There seems to be conflicting advice on the subject.

My specific concern is that I'm successfully following a sensible eating programme designed by a hypnotherapist. Much of it involves an individuals approach to eating consciously and not what they eat. A small part involves visualisation techniqes to eliminate food cravings I would like to know if this part of the programme is acceptable or not. As at bible study today one lady suggested that I should steer clear of anything to do with hypnosis.

My dilema is that this new approach is helping me to relax around food and has also had a positive effect on alleviating my nervousness around people and had the side affect of me losing a few pounds, even though I'm eating the same food. It seems to be giving some very positive results but I do not wish to continue if it is compromising my faith. Is it safe to continue with the programme, is hypnotherapy ok?

Any views on the subject would be appreciated thanks.

Nice to catch up with everyone again, I've missed you all.

God Bless

Love Eve

I can give you a link to an article that might answer some of your questions, not saying if I fully agree or disagree with the author, because I havent actually given much study to this subject, tho i`m keenly interested it it. I am a little familiar with Deepak Chopra, and the art of meditation, again, withholding any comment because I wouldnt know what I was talking about:) I will say if Gods Word does`nt forbid something, we have no right to forbid it either, no matter how theological our argument may sound! Many things in this life, that are not addressed in Scripture, come down to personal conscience, and choice.

http://www.probe.org/content/view/16/65/

There is a book that can be purchased online that might be interesting; "Alternative Medicine The Christian Handbook "

"An in-depth guide for Christians seeking to understand and evaluate the medical and spiritual implications of alternative practices, herbal therapies, and self-treatments available today."

http://www.zondervanchurchsource.com/product.asp?ISBN=0310235847

Eve

Thanks that's really useful. I'll go and have a read of those sites now.
As for references in the bible, I have heard that hypnosis might be refered to as hypnos but I don't know where I might find it in the great book.
TTFN
GBU
Love Eve

N

Hypnosis is something that Christians should not take part in. First, let's look at the definition of hypnosis as defined by a Certified Clinical Hypnotherapist:

"Hypnosis is the most effective method of changing the way you think, feel and act. When you align your subconscious mind -- your inner voice -- with your conscious mind, you erase conflicting beliefs that hold you back. You can then move forward, without sabotaging yourself. Clinical hypnotic techniques guide you to a relaxed, peaceful state of mind. You remain in total control while learning how to use the power of your full mind to create a strong desire to accomplish your goal. You can change your life."

Hypnosis has been used in eastern mysticism for many many years (Hindus, Buddhists, Yogis, etc.). Please read this excerpt from Bible Discernment Ministries (material not copyrighted):

Although a hypnotist may encourage only a light or medium trance, he cannot prevent a hypnotized subject from spontaneously plunging into the danger zone, which may include a sense of separation from the body, seeming clairvoyance, hallucination, mystical states similar to those described by Eastern mystics, and even what hypnotism researcher Ernest Hilgard describes as "demonic possession." We would argue that hypnosis is occultic at any trance level, but at its deeper levels, hypnosis is unmistakably occult.

Hypnosis began as part of the occult and false religion. The Bible speaks out strongly against all practices of false religion and the occult. God desires His people to turn to Him in need, not to those who practice sorcery, divination, or enchantment. He warns His people about following after mediums, wizards, enchanters, charmers, and those who have a familiar spirit (Deut. 18:9-14).

Hypnosis, as it is practiced today, may very well be the same as what is identified as "enchantment" in the Bible (Lev. 19:26 KJV).
In hypnotism, faith is shifted from God and His Word to the hypnotist and his technique. God speaks to people through the conscious, rational mind. He commands individuals as creatures who make conscious, volitional choices. He sent His Holy Spirit to indwell Christians to enable them to trust and obey Him through love and conscious choice. Hypnosis, on the other hand, operates on the basis of imagination, illusion, hallucination, and deception. Jesus warned His followers about deception. After a person has opened his mind to deception through hypnosis, he may become even more vulnerable to other forms of spiritual deception.

Hypnosis can generate Satan's counterfeits of true religious exercise. If hypnosis generates any form of faith and worship not directed toward the God of the Bible, any person who subjects himself to hypnotism may be playing the harlot in the spiritual realm. (See Lev. 19:26,31; 20:6,27; Deut. 18:9-14; 2 Ki 21:6; 2 Chron. 33:6; Isa. 47:9-13; Jer. 27:9.)

Are people in the church being enticed to enter the twilight zone of the occult because hypnosis is now called "science" and "medicine"? Let those who call the occult "science" tell us what the difference is between medical and occultic hypnosis. And let those Christians who call it "scientific" explain why they also recommend that it be performed only by a Christian. If hypnosis is science indeed, why the added requirement of Christianity for the practitioner? There is a scarcity of adequate long-term studies of those who have been hypnotized. And there have been none which have examined the effect on the individual's resulting faith or interest in the occult.

The moment one surrenders himself to the doorway of the occult, even in the halls of "science" and "medicine," he is vulnerable to the powers of darkness.

-------------------------
I hope this information is helpful. Any therapy involving visualization techniques I feel is also entering into a dangerous spiritual zone.

Alternative therapies

I had never been interested in anything to do with alternative therapies until I became ill and the doctors said that there was nothing more that they could do for me.

If conventional medicine couldn't help me, then I would look around for an alternative was my attitude, and if it was available in my area, I tried it. Nothing however worked.

My question relates to something that I have read today which suggests that these are all evil. Is that true? If so I need to confess it to God.

I hope that somebody will be able to advise me on this because I HAVE NO IDEA IF IT IS RIGHT OR WRONG!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Hi Brighteyes,
I will have to look for the post you read to see exactly what was said in it.
However, I will say that as a child of God we are never to participate in anything that goes against the written word of God. I'm not sure what alternative therapies you are talking about, but I would tell you to stay in God's word because He (Jesus, the Word of Life) is your All-in-all. It would help us to answer you more accurately if you are more specific about the therapies to which you are referring that you have checked into personally. There are many things out in the world that "offer help," but really lead into a life of deception. Just keep asking questions here because there are many here who are really grounded in the Word of God and will help lead you into truth. The Truth not only sets us free, it keeps us free as we walk closely
with Jesus.

I have been in a church that offered "alternative therapies" and had many
things that I didn't have peace about that were being taught. God's word
is His will and many times I think people are trying to go around God's
word (conviction, repentance, giving up our will and our ways for His will and His ways) to get results they want. I think the church needs to be very, very careful. It is interesting to hear some of the labels being put on things only to research back and see where the roots are originally. God really doesn't make His word a secret, it's just that we must be His child and enter into His secret place (personal communion with Him) to understand His Word and His Will.

Paul prayed in Colossians 1:9-15
9 - "For this reason we also, since the day we heard it, do not cease to pray for you, and to ask that you may be filled with the knowledge of His will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding;
10 - that you may walk worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing Him, being
fruitful in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God;
11 - strengthened with all might, according to His glorious power, for all
patience and longsuffering with joy;
12 - giving thanks to the Father who has qualified us to be partakers of the
inheritance of the saints in the light.
13 - He has delivered us from the power of darkness and conveyed us into the kingdom of the Son of His love,
14 - in whom we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of
sins.
15 - He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation."

I pray these verses over myself and God's people because I know this kind
of praying is His will and will be answered.

James 3:13-18 talks about demonic wisdom verses Heavenly wisdom.

Pray His Word it is His Will!

Submitted with much love and concern for the children of God!:love:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, thank you Kingskid for your replies.

However, what I had read about alternative therapies this morning was not the posts that my thread has been added to. If it had been these, I would have added my post to it myself!!!!!!!!

I am now even more confused ...

In answer to your question, the alternative therapies that I have tried include:

massage
Indian head massage
acupuncture
hypnosis
homeopathy
reflexology

You wrote:

"God really doesn't make His word a secret, it's just that we must be His child and enter into His secret place (personal communion with Him) to understand His Word and His Will."

THAT IS SO HARD TO DO WHEN THERE IS SO MUCH TO TAKE ON BOARD ALL AT ONCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hynosis is definately out, I will do a search on the others, but I knew this was wrong, because I was reading up on it, a while back.

Here is something from Gotquestion:

Question: "Should a Christian ever get involved with hypnosis?"

Answer: Hypnosis is problematic for a Christian for several reasons:

1) The fruit of the Spirit is self-control (Galatians 5:22-23). As we follow the Spirit’s lead, He will give us the power to better control our own selves. Hypnosis involves the transfer of control, away from ourselves to another person.

2) We are to yield ourselves—body, soul, and spirit—to God. Romans 6:12-13 gives us the formula for overcoming sin: “Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof. Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God . . . and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God.” It’s about control—as Christians, we can let sin control us, or we can let God control us. (See also Romans 6:16-23; 1 Corinthians 6:9-12; and James 4:6-7.) The scriptural formula leaves no room for hypnosis (yielding ourselves to a fellow human being).

3) Hypnosis leads to an altered state of consciousness in which the mind is very susceptible to outside suggestion. That susceptibility is what the hypnotist needs in order to modify the behavior of his subject. However, the very word susceptible should concern us. Scripture says to be watchful and “vigilant, because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour” (1 Peter 5:8). The hypnotist is not the only one who wants to modify our behavior; Satan also wants to do some modifying, and we should be wary of giving him any opportunity to make his suggestions.

4) Hypnotism is often promoted as a simple way of “refocusing” ourselves and finding the answer within us. As believers in Christ, our focus is to be on our Savior, not on ourselves or anything else (Hebrews 12:2). We know that the answers to not lie within us (Romans 7:18); the solution we need is found in Christ (Romans 8:2).

5) Many of the techniques used in hypnosis are shared by mystical, philosophical, and religious systems, including the occult. The “father of hypnotism,” Franz Anton Mesmer, was himself a practitioner of the occult—his method of inducing a trance was very similar to the way a medium conducts a séance. Hypnotism, along with Yoga and Transcendental Meditation, has always been linked to spiritual darkness. The newfound respectability of these practices has not changed their underlying nature.

Thank you for posting this about hypnosis. Even at the time when I had hypnosis, I felt uncomfortable with it and wary of what was happening.

Hi Brighteyes,
There is one post here to you directly. The other post was directed to the
body of Christ at large. I know that you are new in your walk with God
and am in no way judging you or anyone else. I was responding in the
general post to any and all. I am sorry this was confusing to you. However,
we all must be careful of deception because it can happen to any of us at
any place in our walk with God if we are not careful.

When I was on TJ yesterday morning, your post was in a different location and I responded to you personally there. Then I searched and found this one after reading yours. When I found this one, I posted a reply to this thread not to you personally. I was surprised to see both of my posts in the same location when I got home from work last night. I am sorry that I misunderstood and thought that you had read about this on Talk Jesus and I ask you to forgive me for assuming that. However, I am not apologizing at all for the post here that is not directed to you personally, but I did not mean to hurt your feelings in anyway. You are doing great in your new walk with God. Keep asking questions, seeking after Him, reading His word, and asking Him to guide you. He loves you and will be faithful to you.

Love you much!

Thank you for your apology, but from my point of view, there is no need for it. You have done nothing wrong and I am not offended at all. All I know is that you were trying to help me and for that I can only be grateful.

Hi,

My specific concern is that I'm successfully following a sensible eating programme designed by a hypnotherapist. Much of it involves an individuals approach to eating consciously and not what they eat. A small part involves visualisation techniqes to eliminate food cravings I would like to know if this part of the programme is acceptable or not. As at bible study today one lady suggested that I should steer clear of anything to do with hypnosis.

My dilema is that this new approach is helping me to relax around food and has also had a positive effect on alleviating my nervousness around people and had the side affect of me losing a few pounds, even though I'm eating the same food. It seems to be giving some very positive results but I do not wish to continue if it is compromising my faith. Is it safe to continue with the programme, is hypnotherapy ok?

Any views on the subject would be appreciated thanks.

Nice to catch up with everyone again, I've missed you all.

God Bless

Love Eve

There are Christian things you can do that are more effective to help you with your diet, and nervousness and general wellbeing. The occult tends to counterfeit what God does anyway and it's not nearly as good.

Biblical meditation and learning to Drink in the Holy Spirit would do much more for you than any occultist could ever comprehend.

Ephesians 3:20 " Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us,..." and that's the truth it just depends on you and how far you want to go in God.

Blessing,
Tony

Last edited:
It is a trial, an embarrassment, to have to get along with a weight problem, or a pain problem, or some other malfunction of the body......whatever that may be. I am aware of such.

I continually look to Jesus, am involved in praying for the sick, see people healed........and rejoice with them. But I and others struggle along, and always looking unto Jesus.

We would not compromise our faith, absolutely not. But the promise of relief............We need to be careful. The Lord knows and He loves us. We are precious in His sight.

"If that same spirit that raised Christ from the dead dwell in you, it shall quicken your mortal bodies"

I did not say this. One far greater said it. I believe it, continually look for it........

God Bless YOu all.....And Heal you all from every kind of infirmity.

This is the will of God, and the mind of Jesus.

It is a trial, an embarrassment, to have to get along with a weight problem, or a pain problem, or some other malfunction of the body......whatever that may be. I am aware of such.

We would not compromise our faith, absolutely not. But the promise of relief............We need to be careful. The Lord knows and He loves us. We are precious in His sight.

God Bless YOu all.....And Heal you all from every kind of infirmity.

This is the will of God, and the mind of Jesus.

It is the promise of relief that has taken me to different alternative therapies. When conventional medicine has failed totally and somebody offers you hope elsewhere, it is natural to want to take it. If alternative therapies are wrong, then I will need to repent of this, but other than hypnosis, I have had no definitive answer to my question.

If you are right Stephen and it is the will of God that we are all healed, then why aren't we?

Maybe the posts in the John 5:14 thread has answered that question - sin!

If, however, I am wrong on this presumption, please let me know!

Hello Sadeyes,

I remember reading a book by a man called John Wimber entitled Power Healing.
In the Book he tells of how God called him to pray for the sick to be healed. He was obedient to the call and started praying for the sick and no one got healed. This went on for quite a while can't remember how long, maybe six months or a year.

During this period of apparent failure God was doing a work in John Wimber's life.
God was showing him that he could not heal the sick and had to be entirely dependent on God if he was to have successes in this ministry. Anyway after he learned the lesson he prayed for someone who was ill and God instantly healed them.
When he was driving home he saw what he thought was a strange cloud formation in the sky and he pulled of the road to take a closer look. It was then he realized it was a vision.
The cloud in fact was a giant honey comb and honey was falling on people as they worshiped God and they were being healed. But not everyone was worshiping, some were in fact complaining about the honey and wiping it of them selves, some were upset and didn't like what was happening. The the Lord spoke to John Wimber saying, you never have to beg me to heal anyone, the problem is not at my end it is at the receiving end.
The fact is some people are extremely resistant to God doing such things in their lives.
I know of one minister who had a sick Christian man try to beat him with a crutch when he told the man that God could heal him.

It would be nice if you could find someone to come and pray the prayer of faith over you in accordance with James 5:15. You need to find a Christian minister that believes in divine healing, not all do.

Some healing scriptures Psalm 103 and Proverbs 4:20-22.

Blessings,
Tony
:love:

Last edited:
From what I've read, alternative therapies should not be trusted because they are rooted in New Age practices and beliefs and New Age thinking is rooted in occultic practices and eastern mysticism.

These practices do sometimes produce healings, but they are sham healings because the devil and his minions can only mimic God's power. the ultimate source of all true healing (physical or emotional) is God.

SLE

Thank you both for these helpful replies. I will try and take on board what you are saying in them.

I just heard a sermon on healing that may bring some insight... I'm not sure if I can post a web site on here. What was generally said is that Christians always get healed - some on the Earth and then all in Heaven. And that the Lord is most concerned with our souls. For us to be more and more like Jesus. Often the pain from an injury/ illness is used by the Lord to bring that person closer to Him. I'm not saying that He caused it - just one way of Jesus turning it to good.

Both of my sisters have had back injuries, have to have a med. patch changed every so many days and both have fibermyalga. The older of the two will tell anyone today that she is closer to the Lord than she's ever been and that the Lord has changed/softened her heart. It's been about 5 years since her injury happened. Many have prayed for her healing over all these years. She still has incredible pain, but her life is different. She and her husband had pulled away from church and fellowship before and right after the incident. Today they worship each week at church, belong to a Bible study home group and most joyous of all she leads worship for a women's intercessory prayer group (before she wouldn't even think of attending one of these meetings). Also she sought out prayer ministry (Theophostic) and has received great healing in her heart from this. And now is a prayer minister as well. Words can't describe the changes in her life - to God be the glory! We continue to pray for her healing and rejoice in all that the Lord is doing right now.

I don't know if my ramblings are helpful, but maybe a nugget or two can be gathered...