• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

All sin is the same?

Loyal
A phrase you hear a lot is "all sin is the same in the eyes of God". But I wonder.... is it really?
I was unable to find this phrase in any of the Bibles I have. The closest I could get was ...

Jas 2:10; For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles in one point, he has become guilty of all.

John 19:11; Jesus answered, "You would have no authority over Me, unless it had been given you from above; for this reason he who delivered Me to you has the greater sin."

Luke 12:47; "And that slave who knew his master's will and did not get ready or act in accord with his will, will receive many lashes,
Luke 12:48; but the one who did not know it, and committed deeds worthy of a flogging, will receive but few. From everyone who has been given much, much will be required; and to whom they entrusted much, of him they will ask all the more.

Lev 18:22; 'You shall not lie with a male as one lies with a female; it is an abomination.

Some sins are called "abominations".
Strongs defines abomination like this...

tô‛êbah tô‛êbah
to-ay-baw', to-ay-baw'
Feminine active participle of H8581; properly something disgusting (morally), that is, (as noun) an abhorrence; especially idolatry or (concretely) an idol: - abominable (custom, thing), abomination.
Total KJV occurrences: 117

This seems to be different from just sin.
Gen 4:7; "If you do well, will not your countenance be lifted up? And if you do not do well, sin is crouching at the door; and its desire is for you, but you must master it."

chaṭṭâ'âh chaṭṭâ'th
khat-taw-aw', khat-tawth'
From H2398; an offence (sometimes habitual sinfulness), and its penalty, occasion, sacrifice, or expiation; also (concretely) an offender: - punishment (of sin), purifying (-fication for sin), sin (-ner, offering).
Total KJV occurrences: 294

Matt 12:32; "Whoever speaks a word against the Son of Man, it shall be forgiven him; but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit, it shall not be forgiven him, either in this age or in the age to come.

It seems one of these two things can be forgiven, but the other will not be forgiven.
I am simply asking the question. Is all sin the same to God?

Loyal
Heb 10:26; For if we go on sinning willfully after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins,

Is willful premeditated sin worse that other sin?

Gal 5:21; envying, drunkenness, carousing, and things like these, of which I forewarn you, just as I have forewarned you, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

Are sins that we "practice" continually worse than other sins?

1 Jn 3:9; No one who is born of God practices sin, because His seed abides in him; and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

Sometimes we still sin, but is there a difference with sin that we "practice".

I do believe that there is a difference in the heart of a person who sins unknowingly and that of a person who sin is premeditated, or willful.

Active
@B-A-C Is all sin the same to God? Hmmmmm..... it depends on how you look at it and the context from which people are speaking when they claim that all sin is the same in God's eyes.

Yes it is all the same: in the sense that the wages of sin is death, there is no sin that doesn't end in death and we're all guilty of sin (Rms 3:10, 3:23, 6:23; James 2:10).

No, because there do appear to be varying degrees of sin, as in the verses you've listed.

Or, it could be that all sin is the same in God's eyes and He mentioned varying degrees as an FYI of sorts, to us: for our correction and training?

We know the reference identifying varying degrees of reward for Christians at the JSOC; are there scripture references identifying varying degrees of punishment in Hell?

Active
It seems one of these two things can be forgiven, but the other will not be forgiven.
I am simply asking the question. Is all sin the same to God?

• Sin separates us from God.
  • The way I explain sin to my Sunday School class is that sin is everything that God is not.
  • Because God loves us and desires to defeat Satin, he has established for the Born Again Christian, that all sin is forgivable, save one, the sin of unbelief!

Loyal
I do believe that there is a difference in the heart of a person who sins unknowingly and that of a person who sin is premeditated, or willful.
Most certainly! In the OT under the law given to Moses, premeditated of willful sins had no atonement available. The person was cut-off from Israel and/or lost his life. Since God never changes and is no respecter of persons, we should not expect ultimately a different kind of judgment.

For other sins committed in ignorance or unknowingly there was a prescribed atonement which included when applicable repayment of losses to others caused by your sin.

Active
Most certainly! In the OT under the law given to Moses, premeditated of willful sins had no atonement available. The person was cut-off from Israel and/or lost his life. Since God never changes and is no respecter of persons, we should not expect ultimately a different kind of judgment.
Jesus changed all of that! Matthew 12:31 And so I tell you, every kind of sin and slander can be forgiven, but blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven.
Man now has until his dying breathe to change his conscience toward God and be saved, of course this is all determined by God and not us!

Loyal
Jesus changed all of that! Matthew 12:31 And so I tell you, every kind of sin and slander can be forgiven, but blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven.
Man now has until his dying breathe to change his conscience toward God and be saved, of course this is all determined by God and not us!

I do not believe that God has changed at all. It is people who have always been in error and it is people who always needed to be changed. This was so in the OT as well as in the NT. God made provision for all, but the steps along the way for different dispensations have been different. Even though different God has also never been a respecter of persons. He has always been fair.

There were black and white rules to go by under Moses, but God was always looking at people's heart rather than literal superficial obedience to the written rules. Of all those saved out of Egypt, I do not believe that the two who made it into the Promised Land [Joshua and Caleb] because they obeyed the black and white rules perfectly. I don't believe anyone ever did that. Speaking about the OT laws given to Moses, note here the words of Peter:

"Now therefore why tempt ye God, to put a yoke upon the neck of the disciples, which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear?" Acts 15:10

Peter recognized as God had recognized that to obey all of the law of Moses perfectly was impossible for any man alone. This is why I do not believe that Caleb and Joshua did. Also consider David called in the scriptures a man after God's own heart and the apple of His eye:

According to the law David should have died for murder and for adultery for the death of Uriah and seduction of the man's wife, but God saw something in David's heart and set aside those sins.

"And David said unto Nathan, I have sinned against the LORD. And Nathan said unto David, The LORD also hath put away thy sin; thou shalt not die." II Sam 12:13

What God was looking for then and now is contained in these verses:

"For thou desirest not sacrifice; else would I give it: thou delightest not in burnt offering.
The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise." Psalm 51:16-17

God is always the same and He is always fair. If and when anyone has a better opportunity or a better gift from God than someone else, as for instance the born again NT people versus OT people such as David who never had the opportunity be born again. The one with the better opportunity and better gifts has greater requirements put upon him by God according to Jesus:

"But he that knew not, and did commit things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few stripes. For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more." Luke 12:48

Active
I do not believe that God has changed at all.
Never said that and nor do I believe it. God planned to produce Jesus as Savior from the foundation and inject him in at the precise time to reveal a new relationship with man....of course he never changes but a new relationship with man was revealed through his son.

Loyal

If it is determined by God... then He has determined that everyone will do this.

1 Tim 2:3; This is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior,
1 Tim 2:4; who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.

2 Pet 3:9; The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish but for all to come to repentance.

Active
is all sin the same, well, good question I know the wages of sin are death..but there are different kinds of sin and some cause death quicker than others.

And then Paul says when he was sinning he did it out of ignorance and unbelief. But if he kept on sinning wilfully there was no more sacrifice - this is mentioned in Hebrews. I know if we repent of sin God forgives that, but if we keep on sinning and never repent then obviously sin has got a hold of us - it's become a stronghold.

Things like addiction - you may say smoke once. Maybe you did it out of ignorance and don't do it again cos its so bad you learn not to. But there are people that smoke ten times a day even knowing it could kill them (and others around them that have to breathe in their smoke). And they don't care. Well thats different cos they like to sin more than giving it to Jesus to keep them from sin.

Active
If it is determined by God... then He has determined that everyone will do this.
I believe in free will / choice...perhaps you don't!
2 Pet 3:9; The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish but for all to come to repentance.
Of course God wishes all to be saved but certainly those who make the choice to reject Jesus Christ are non-believers and are not saved!

Active
is all sin the same, well, good question I know the wages of sin are death..but there are different kinds of sin and some cause death quicker than others.
Sin is sin...anything God is not,,,We are called to be Righteous and Holy but won't achieve this perfection until we die our physical death and are glorified in the presence of God.

Loyal
Matthew 5:28
But I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lustful intent has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

wonder if that is the same as say killing a person?

Active
But I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lustful intent has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

Well no obviously its a different kind of sin but its still a sin, and can cause death. Adultery can lead to murder because some people kill for what they want. Eg David killed Bathshebas husband because David commited adultery.

Killing someone else, you cant unkill someone once they dead, you cant do anything to bring them back. I think you can however, stop comitting adultery if you repent. JEsus told the woman caught on this to sin no more. And obviously we lock murderers behind bars to stop them from killing again and there are people that have killed others and wont ever do it again but in both cases you there are people that just keep on sinning.

What God sees is the horrific consequences of the sins people do, like cain killing abel..Abels blood was crying out from the ground. And children of adultery...they grow up unloved and illegitamate, many of them, and they repeat the sins of their parents...and then adultery can lead to divorce and broken families and other messy stuff.

Active

• Jesus own words. I believe he was under attack by orthodox Jews that clung to the Mosaic law and he was demonstrating that sin was more complex than just the law concerning Adultery. The law could not save you from Adultery because sin went beyond the physical, it even included spiritual. Your only hope from any sin was God's saving grace.
  • It is the same, all sin is the same with regards to the final judgement without Christ in you! The only sin not forgiven is ironically, unbelief!

Loyal
Then why did you previously say....

That looks like a direct contradiction.

Yet its exactly what the bible teaches. I know I have responsibility to seek God yet I know its God who draws me in, that sure is hard to grasp perhabs the human mind can not grasp what it fully means, of course one has to be humble to understand they can not understand everything in the bible that is why we need faith.

Proverbs 16:9
The heart of man plans his way, but the Lord establishes his steps.

Jeremiah 29:13
You will seek me and find me, when you seek me with all your heart.

John 6:44 ESV / 38 helpful votes
No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him. And I will raise him up on the last day.

Active
Yet its exactly what the bible teaches. I know I have responsibility to seek God yet I know its God who draws me in, that sure is hard to grasp perhabs the human mind can not grasp what it fully means, of course one has to be humble to understand they can not understand everything in the bible that is why we need faith.

Joy, joy, joy!! I love Jesus...I love this time of the year; they give me such joy..... Joy comes especially when, I look back and realize that God :"Knocked on my door" a many a time but it was only when "I" open that door of my heart and invited him in , did he come in and Sup with me!