• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Adulterers will not inherit the kingdom of God.

Loyal
Matt 5:27; "You have heard that it was said, 'YOU SHALL NOT COMMIT ADULTERY'; ( see Exod 20:14; )
Matt 5:28; but I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart.
Matt 5:32; but I say to you that everyone who divorces his wife, except for the reason of unchastity, makes her commit adultery; and whoever marries a divorced woman commits adultery.
Matt 19:9; "And I say to you, whoever divorces his wife, except for immorality, and marries another woman commits adultery."

Matt 19:18; Then he *said to Him, "Which ones?" And Jesus said, "YOU SHALL NOT COMMIT MURDER; YOU SHALL NOT COMMIT ADULTERY; YOU SHALL NOT STEAL; YOU SHALL NOT BEAR FALSE WITNESS;
Mark 10:11; And He *said to them, "Whoever divorces his wife and marries another woman commits adultery against her;
Mark 10:12; and if she herself divorces her husband and marries another man, she is committing adultery."
Mark 10:19; "You know the commandments, 'DO NOT MURDER, DO NOT COMMIT ADULTERY, DO NOT STEAL, DO NOT BEAR FALSE WITNESS, Do not defraud, HONOR YOUR FATHER AND MOTHER.'"
Luke 16:18; "Everyone who divorces his wife and marries another commits adultery, and he who marries one who is divorced from a husband commits adultery.
Luke 18:20; "You know the commandments, 'DO NOT COMMIT ADULTERY, DO NOT MURDER, DO NOT STEAL, DO NOT BEAR FALSE WITNESS, HONOR YOUR FATHER AND MOTHER.'"

So what is adultery? Adultery is similar to fornication except in this case, at least one of them ( possibly both of them) is married to someone else. Not the person they are having sex with.
The good news is... just like fornication, adultery can be forgiven if you repent. If you stop doing it.

Rom 2:22; You who say that one should not commit adultery, do you commit adultery? You who abhor idols, do you rob temples?
Rom 13:9; For this, "YOU SHALL NOT COMMIT ADULTERY, YOU SHALL NOT MURDER, YOU SHALL NOT STEAL, YOU SHALL NOT COVET," and if there is any other commandment, it is summed up in this saying, "YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF."
Jas 2:11; For He who said, "DO NOT COMMIT ADULTERY," also said, "DO NOT COMMIT MURDER." Now if you do not commit adultery, but do commit murder, you have become a transgressor of the law.

2Pet 2:14; having eyes full of adultery that never cease from sin, enticing unstable souls, having a heart trained in greed, accursed children;
Rev 2:22; 'Behold, I will throw her on a bed of sickness, and those who commit adultery with her into great tribulation, unless they repent of her deeds.

The verse in Revelation is especially telling. That particular verse isn't about a man and woman committing adultery, but rather Christians committing adultery with other gods, other teachings, other beliefs.
The church is compared to a bride a few place in the Bible (even in the old testament). A bride should be faithful to her husband (Christ). In this case is isn't talking about being sexually faithful, it's talking
about being spiritually faithful. ( Exod 34:15-16; ) Ezekiel chapters 16 and especially 23 talk about the Jews committing adultery with other gods and beliefs.
The thing is.. you can't commit adultery unless you are married to someone. You can't commit spiritual adultery unless you are "married" to God. Unsaved people can't commit spiritual adultery.

1Cor 6:9; Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals,
Heb 13:4; Marriage is to be held in honor among all, and the marriage bed is to be undefiled; for fornicators and adulterers God will judge.

These last two verses may look familiar. They were used in the thread about fornication. But they also talk about adultery. God will judge these people, and they will not inherit the kingdom of God.
It doesn't matter if they believe in Jesus or not. If they are continuing to practice this sin, they will not be in the kingdom of God.

Prov 23:27; For a harlot is a deep pit And an adulterous woman is a narrow well.

In 2Sam, David commits adultery with Bathsheba. Nathan comes and confronts David in 2Sam 12:1-5; This is one of the passages in the Bible that I believe reveals the nature of God to us.
God views our spiritual adultery, much the same way David viewed the man who took the other man's lamb.

Now adultery is the same as fornication in that, they are both sin. They will both keep you from entering the kingdom of God. But Adultery usually has a LOT more consequences.
For example, here in the US we have alimony and property laws. If your wife leaves you because of adultery, you will likely have to pay her money for a long time. She may get half of all your
property. Your car, your house, and half of your bank account. If children are involved, then there is child support, often visitation rights. Your children might not live with you and you might
not see them as often as you would like to. If your spouse gets remarried, then the step-mom or step-dad may have more influence over your children than you do.

In many churches, if you are divorced and re-married, this will prevent you from being involved in any senior ministry.

1Tim 3:2; An overseer, then, must be above reproach, the husband of one wife, temperate, prudent, respectable, hospitable, able to teach,
1Tim 3:12; Deacons must be husbands of only one wife, and good managers of their children and their own households.

Some churches refuse to help widows if they have been married multiple times.

1Tim 5:9; A widow is to be put on the list only if she is not less than sixty years old, having been the wife of one man,

All in all adultery is a very messy thing. It literally can ruin your life. But remember, it can keep you out of the kingdom of God... for eternity.
And if you don't go there. The alternative isn't very appealing.

Last edited:
Active
Matt 5:27; "You have heard that it was said, 'YOU SHALL NOT COMMIT ADULTERY';
Matt 5:28; but I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart.
Matt 5:32; but I say to you that everyone who divorces his wife, except for the reason of unchastity, makes her commit adultery; and whoever marries a divorced woman commits adultery.
Matt 19:9; "And I say to you, whoever divorces his wife, except for immorality, and marries another woman commits adultery."

Matt 19:18; Then he *said to Him, "Which ones?" And Jesus said, "YOU SHALL NOT COMMIT MURDER; YOU SHALL NOT COMMIT ADULTERY; YOU SHALL NOT STEAL; YOU SHALL NOT BEAR FALSE WITNESS;
Mark 10:11; And He *said to them, "Whoever divorces his wife and marries another woman commits adultery against her;
Mark 10:12; and if she herself divorces her husband and marries another man, she is committing adultery."
Mark 10:19; "You know the commandments, 'DO NOT MURDER, DO NOT COMMIT ADULTERY, DO NOT STEAL, DO NOT BEAR FALSE WITNESS, Do not defraud, HONOR YOUR FATHER AND MOTHER.'"
Luke 16:18; "Everyone who divorces his wife and marries another commits adultery, and he who marries one who is divorced from a husband commits adultery.
Luke 18:20; "You know the commandments, 'DO NOT COMMIT ADULTERY, DO NOT MURDER, DO NOT STEAL, DO NOT BEAR FALSE WITNESS, HONOR YOUR FATHER AND MOTHER.'"

So what is adultery? Adultery is similar to fornication except in this case, at least one of them ( possibly both of them) is married to someone else. Not the person they are having sex with.
The good news is... just like fornication, adultery can be forgiven if you repent. If you stop doing it.

Rom 2:22; You who say that one should not commit adultery, do you commit adultery? You who abhor idols, do you rob temples?
Rom 13:9; For this, "YOU SHALL NOT COMMIT ADULTERY, YOU SHALL NOT MURDER, YOU SHALL NOT STEAL, YOU SHALL NOT COVET," and if there is any other commandment, it is summed up in this saying, "YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF."
Jas 2:11; For He who said, "DO NOT COMMIT ADULTERY," also said, "DO NOT COMMIT MURDER." Now if you do not commit adultery, but do commit murder, you have become a transgressor of the law.

2Pet 2:14; having eyes full of adultery that never cease from sin, enticing unstable souls, having a heart trained in greed, accursed children;
Rev 2:22; 'Behold, I will throw her on a bed of sickness, and those who commit adultery with her into great tribulation, unless they repent of her deeds.

The verse in Revelation is especially telling. That particular verse isn't about a man and woman committing adultery, but rather Christians committing adultery with other gods, other teachings, other beliefs.
The church is compared to a bride a few place in the Bible (even in the old testament). A bride should be faithful to her husband (Christ). In this case is isn't talking about being sexually faithful, it's talking
about being spiritually faithful. ( Exod 34:15-16; ) Ezekiel chapters 16 and especially 23 talk about the Jews committing adultery with other gods and beliefs.
The thing is.. you can't commit adultery unless you are married to someone. You can't commit spiritual adultery unless you are "married" to God. Unsaved people can't commit spiritual adultery.

1Cor 6:9; Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals,
Heb 13:4; Marriage is to be held in honor among all, and the marriage bed is to be undefiled; for fornicators and adulterers God will judge.

These last two verses may look familiar. They were used in the thread about fornication. But they also talk about adultery. God will judge these people, and they will not inherit the kingdom of God.
It doesn't matter if they believe in Jesus or not. If they are continuing to practice this sin, they will not be in the kingdom of God.

Prov 23:27; For a harlot is a deep pit And an adulterous woman is a narrow well.

In 2Sam, David commits adultery with Bathsheba. Nathan comes and confronts David in 2Sam 12:1-5; This is one of the passages in the Bible that I believe reveals the nature of God to us.
God views our spiritual adultery, much the same way David viewed the man who took the other man's lamb.

Now adultery is the same as fornication in that, they are both sin. They will both keep you from entering the kingdom of God. But Adultery usually has a LOT more consequences.
For example, here in the US we have alimony and property laws. If your wife leaves you because of adultery, you will likely have to pay her money for a long time. She may get half of all your
property. Your car, your house, and half of your bank account. If children are involved, then there is child support, often visitation rights. Your children might not live with you and you might
not see them as often as you would like to. If your spouse gets remarried, then the step-mom or step-dad may have more influence over your children than you do.

In many churches, if you are divorced and re-married, this will prevent you from being involved in any senior ministry.

1Tim 3:2; An overseer, then, must be above reproach, the husband of one wife, temperate, prudent, respectable, hospitable, able to teach,
1Tim 3:12; Deacons must be husbands of only one wife, and good managers of their children and their own households.

Some churches refuse to help widows if they have been married multiple times.

1Tim 5:9; A widow is to be put on the list only if she is not less than sixty years old, having been the wife of one man,

All in all adultery is a very messy thing. It literally can ruin your life. But remember, it can keep you out of the kingdom of God... for eternity.
And if you don't go there. The alternative isn't very appealing.
And let's not forget
You adulterous people, don’t you know that friendship with the world means enmity against God? Therefore, anyone who chooses to be a friend of the world becomes an enemy of God.

Active
Adultery is a sin that hurts another and upsets God. Unlike fornication, which could be a sin that only upsets God.

As such, both Christians and non-Christians know it is a very evil deed.

Perhaps an 8/10 and not a 10/10 evil deed for someone tempted as mentioned in 1 Cor 7:5.

Active
Just to add, as adultery is a sin that Jesus says we can commit merely by thinking of someone else in Matt 5:28, it is important to clarify that He does differentiate between a thought and 'actual' adultery in Matt 5:32 (Only four verses on).

No Jew was stoned to death for thoughts of adultery. Something Christians today battle with as many cherry pick and teach Matt 5:28 as the A-Z on the topic.

''All sin is sin, so what if I commit adultery and you tell white lies''. No. God's feelings and thoughts on the matter of your sin of adultery are a graphic stoning to death for you. God does not change His mind Num 23:19.

Active
Just to add, as adultery is a sin that Jesus says we can commit merely by thinking of someone else in Matt 5:28, it is important to clarify that He does differentiate between a thought and 'actual' adultery in Matt 5:32 (Only four verses on).

No Jew was stoned to death for thoughts of adultery. Something Christians today battle with as many cherry pick and teach Matt 5:28 as the A-Z on the topic.

''All sin is sin, so what if I commit adultery and you tell white lies''. No. God's feelings and thoughts on the matter of your sin of adultery are a graphic stoning to death for you. God does not change His mind Num 23:19.
Adultery to YH anything you put ova Him like ones worldly wants ova what we r told to do.
YH means what He says He needs no translator like many think.
He is the perfect Teacher n the Only Teacher
Flesh Gives birth to flesh n only the Spirit can birth Spirit

Twistie :broken_heart:

Staff Member
Woe be unto the pastors that destroy and scatter the sheep of my pasture! saith the Lord.

Therefore thus saith the Lord God of Israel against the pastors that feed my people; Ye have scattered my flock, and driven them away, and have not visited them: behold, I will visit upon you the evil of your doings, saith the Lord.

And I will gather the remnant of my flock out of all countries whither I have driven them, and will bring them again to their folds; and they shall be fruitful and increase.
And I will set up shepherds over them which shall feed them: and they shall fear no more, nor be dismayed, neither shall they be lacking, saith the Lord.

Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, that I will raise unto David a righteous Branch, and a King shall reign and prosper, and shall execute judgment and justice in the earth.
In his days Judah shall be saved, and Israel shall dwell safely: and this is his name whereby he shall be called, THE LORD OUR RIGHTEOUSNESS.

Therefore, behold, the days come, saith the Lord, that they shall no more say, The Lord liveth, which brought up the children of Israel out of the land of Egypt; but, The Lord liveth, which brought up and which led the seed of the house of Israel out of the north country, and from all countries whither I had driven them; and they shall dwell in their own land.

Mine heart within me is broken because of the prophets; all my bones shake; I am like a drunken man, and like a man whom wine hath overcome, because of the Lord, and because of the words of his holiness.

For the land is full of adulterers; for because of swearing the land mourneth; the pleasant places of the wilderness are dried up, and their course is evil, and their force is not right.

For both prophet and priest are profane; yea, in my house have I found their wickedness, saith the Lord.

Wherefore their way shall be unto them as slippery ways in the darkness: they shall be driven on, and fall therein: for I will bring evil upon them, even the year of their visitation, saith the Lord
Jeremiah 23:1-12

According to Jesus then, remarriage is adultery (unless the spouse dies).
Do we know any church leaders who remarried ? Any Bishops or deacons etc?
Ps. Is a pastor a Bishop?

Active
According to Jesus then, remarriage is adultery (unless the spouse dies).
Do we know any church leaders who remarried ? Any Bishops or deacons etc?
Ps. Is a pastor a Bishop?

A Catholic priest would have to refuse to perform a marriage if:
  1. The couple refuse to accept that Christian marriage is for life.
  2. They refuse to promise sexual fidelity to each other.
  3. They are of childbearing age yet propose not to have children.
  4. One or other party is evidently mentally ill and unable to assume the duties of marriage.
  5. One or other party is being forced into the marriage against their will.
  6. One party is evidently exclusively homosexual.
  7. There is some impediment of consanguinity (blood relatedness) to the marriage.
  8. One party has previously contracted a canonically valid marriage and their spouse is still alive.
  9. Because of some physical defect or handicap it is absolutely impossible that the marriage will ever be consummated.
  10. If neither Catholic party belongs to the parish which the priest serves, he may decline to do the wedding, and direct them to the Catholic parish of either party. The normal expectation is that you marry in the parish church of either Catholic party (which one seems to depend upon local tradition).
  11. He might also decline if he believes there is “lack of due discretion" because the couple are grossly immature, have not seriously considered the responsibilities of the married state etc.
  12. If the couple have conspired to murder the previous spouse of one of them, to free themselves to marry each other.

Active
It is very hard to get re-married in a Catholic church. Charismatic, as almost every church operates like an island or is part of a group of 'islands', much easier.

I know that the baptist church would be very difficult. They teach: If two Christians divorce they are to remain unmarried or else be reconciled (remarried) to one another. Remarriage to someone other than their former spouse is disallowed.