• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

About games and hobbies...

I used to play video games and I watch anime a lot. It came to a point that games/anime was taking over my life and replacing the place of Jesus so I removed it completely from my life (erasing/throwing/not being in contact with the media) The problem is that I have a very hard time right now not being able to watch anime or play games they were once my life. I am now into mixed martial arts which is basically fighting and it too seems to be against the teaching of the Bible. This is making me nuts how can I enjoy life without any hobbies. I'm trying as hard as I can to be not influenced by sinful stuff but it makes me sad and bored with life. I guess that I must sacrifice this worlds pleasures to be saved but it is very very hard... Need help guys...

well...have you tried different sports? such as swimming, football(soccer),basketball, rugby(football)?

u could try these types of things...see if u enjoy doing any of them

loads of love kirsty xxx

Combat sports are not against God's will. Mixed Martial arts is simply self-defense, if you use your combat skills to attack others, then it is wrong, but if you use to defend yourself when the time is necessary, you'll be fine.

Last edited:
hmmm...never thought of it that way.
point is there are alot of different things to do out there that ARE alright with God..u just need to look :wink:

x kirsty x

but isnt there a verse that says when you get hit turn your other cheek around? MMA seems to be violent but I'm into it cause it releases my anger and stress whenever I train

true...u can do it as a sport to keep fit and take ur mind off things so i guess if ur doing it for that then it should be fine

x kirsty x

hmmm...never thought of it that way.
point is there are alot of different things to do out there that ARE alright with God..u just need to look :wink:

x kirsty x
like what? Every time I'm about to do something I go to google and type what does the Bible say about (blank). Im being a lil paranoid but still...
And if you look at certain things closely they will always be sinful. I believe everything that is man made is sinful but its hard to enjoy life...

but isnt there a verse that says when you get hit turn your other cheek around? MMA seems to be violent but I'm into it cause it releases my anger and stress whenever I train

Well, the Bible does not say that learning to fight is a sin, nor is killing in war a sin or in self defense or defense of your family a sin.

There is even a passage of Jacob wrestling with God in the Bible.

Genesis 32:22-31

22 The same night he arose and took his two wives, his two female servants, and his eleven children, and crossed the ford of the Jabbok. 23 He took them and sent them across the stream, and everything else that he had. 24 And Jacob was left alone. And a man wrestled with him until the breaking of the day. 25 When the man saw that he did not prevail against Jacob, he touched his hip socket, and Jacob's hip was put out of joint as he wrestled with him. 26 Then he said, “Let me go, for the day has broken.” But Jacob said, “I will not let you go unless you bless me.” 27 And he said to him, “What is your name?” And he said, “Jacob.” 28 Then he said, “Your name shall no longer be called Jacob, but Israel, for you have striven with God and with men, and have prevailed.” 29 Then Jacob asked him, “Please tell me your name.” But he said, “Why is it that you ask my name?” And there he blessed him. 30 So Jacob called the name of the place Peniel, saying, “For I have seen God face to face, and yet my life has been delivered.” 31 The sun rose upon him as he passed Penuel, limping because of his hip. 32 Therefore to this day the people of Israel do not eat the sinew of the thigh that is on the hip socket, because he touched the socket of Jacob's hip on the sinew of the thigh.

Well, the Bible does not say that learning to fight is a sin, nor is killing in war a sin or in self defense or defense of your family a sin.

There is even a passage of Jacob wrestling with God in the Bible.

Genesis 32:22-31

22 The same night he arose and took his two wives, his two female servants, and his eleven children, and crossed the ford of the Jabbok. 23 He took them and sent them across the stream, and everything else that he had. 24 And Jacob was left alone. And a man wrestled with him until the breaking of the day. 25 When the man saw that he did not prevail against Jacob, he touched his hip socket, and Jacob's hip was put out of joint as he wrestled with him. 26 Then he said, “Let me go, for the day has broken.” But Jacob said, “I will not let you go unless you bless me.” 27 And he said to him, “What is your name?” And he said, “Jacob.” 28 Then he said, “Your name shall no longer be called Jacob, but Israel, for you have striven with God and with men, and have prevailed.” 29 Then Jacob asked him, “Please tell me your name.” But he said, “Why is it that you ask my name?” And there he blessed him. 30 So Jacob called the name of the place Peniel, saying, “For I have seen God face to face, and yet my life has been delivered.” 31 The sun rose upon him as he passed Penuel, limping because of his hip. 32 Therefore to this day the people of Israel do not eat the sinew of the thigh that is on the hip socket, because he touched the socket of Jacob's hip on the sinew of the thigh.

Is the wrestling metaphorical or actual? It is certainly relieving in my part but if what I do suddenly becomes my LIFE and replaces God it is bad then?

Is the wrestling metaphorical or actual? It is certainly relieving in my part but if what I do suddenly becomes my LIFE and replaces God it is bad then?

No, the wrestling was actual as Jacob's hip was broken for the rest of his life as he needed a walking cane to assist him from there on. And yes, it does become a problem if mixed martial arts does replace God, but you can control that by thanking God that you have the privilege to learn martial arts and self-defense. God is the one providing you with opportunity to learn martial arts and you should thank him for that daily. :)

I never thought of it that way before about God providing me the opportunity to train. Thanks certainly cleared evrything. The verse that says something about glorifying God in everything I do comes to mind.

So how about Japanese video games and anime? They are full of Shintoism, Buddhism and other doctrines? So it is wrong then? They may corrupt peoples minds but its like saying everything that God did not say is wrong?

I never thought of it that way before about God providing me the opportunity to train. Thanks certainly cleared evrything. The verse that says something about glorifying God in everything I do comes to mind.

So how about Japanese video games and anime? They are full of Shintoism, Buddhism and other doctrines? So it is wrong then? They may corrupt peoples minds but its like saying everything that God did not say is wrong?

If you feel is separates you from God or is starting to take place of God in your life, then I recommend you cut it out from your life. :)

This is making me nuts how can I enjoy life without any hobbies. I'm trying as hard as I can to be not influenced by sinful stuff but it makes me sad and bored with life. I guess that I must sacrifice this worlds pleasures to be saved but it is very very hard... Need help guys...

Surrender your life to Christ every morning (yes, I said every morning!) and ask Him to guide your choices throughout the day. Surround yourself face-to-face with Christian believers. Read the Bible (especially the New Testament) every day and ask God to clarify confusing passages. You'll find that over time God will so fill you with love for Himself that all the stuff that He doesn't want in your life will fade away.

Spirit Led Ed (SLE)

Surrender your life to Christ every morning (yes, I said every morning!) and ask Him to guide your choices throughout the day. Surround yourself face-to-face with Christian believers. Read the Bible (especially the New Testament) every day and ask God to clarify confusing passages. You'll find that over time God will so fill you with love for Himself that all the stuff that He doesn't want in your life will fade away.

Spirit Led Ed (SLE)

This seems to be the key here. Everymorning.

Spirit Led Ed (SLE)

^^^^^^^^^This pretty much nails it--It's obvious from your posts that you do read the word---But how devotedly or regularly?---I read your other thread and it seems you are desperately looking for a set of rules to follow to feel right with the Lord---Check this out--1Cor 6:12, "All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient, (profitable): all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any"---So yeah we can do lots of things in this world but we need to be in control of them and not them in control of us----As you grow in the Lord you'll come to the place that you yourself will be offended by some of the content in some video games and you will chuck em just because they are offensive to the tenderness God has placed in your heart---Then you can find ones that you approve of and with full satisfaction that you are pleasing the Lord and enjoy them with no guilt etc.---Moderation is very difficult for most of us as we seem to want to obsess on stuff.

Happy