• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 11,000 members today

Register Log In

A Reason for Courage

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Staff Member
"Be strong and of good courage, do not fear nor be afraid of them; for the LORD your God, He [is] the One who goes with you. He will not leave you nor forsake you." Deuteronomy 31:6

Moses told the Israelites that the Lord was going to be the first to enter Canaan. "The Lord your God Himself crosses over before you; He will destroy these nations from before you" (Deuteronomy 31:3). Knowing that the Almighty was going to be fighting at the vanguard of their army was good reason to not fear.

There was more. God would not only go ahead of their army but would also be with each soldier individually as he plunged into battle. God promised to never leave them or forsake them. He would never stop fighting for them and never stop protecting them. How can you lose if you trust those king of promises?

The writer of Hebrews quotes these very words to Christians in Hebrews 13:5, "I will never leave you nor forsake you"--inspiring them to boldly respond: "The Lord is my helper; I will not fear" (v.6). Whatever danger or threat you face, don't give in to fear. Be strong. God is with you, and He fights for you.

Prayer: God, thank You that this Old Testament promise to the Israelites is still true today. I can appropriate it in my walk with You now. The Israelites trusted this promise and conquered Canaan. Help me to trust it too.