• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

A hairy question ?

Staff Member
Greetings dear brothers and sisters

A few hairy questions :)

Should Christian men have long hair or short hair?

Should this verse be applied today......or does the context have a different implication?

Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him
1 Corinthians 11:14

Should Christian men have beards? Or should they shave?

( As a child I was in the brethren fellowship and all men had short hair and were clean shaven because they believed that was correct.)

Is there a right or a wrong?

Looking forward to some peaceful interesting responses.
Please add scripture.

Active
In Papua new Guinea when men are born again through water and the Spirit they shave off their beards - "clean on the inside, clean on the outside."
But this is a cultural necessity to show that they are different and separate to others who still remain in the world with its customs and traditions.

1Corinthians 11: 2-16 is somewhat of a challenge for us all living today and not in Paul's time.
The Roman-Greco world upheld haircuts and removing body hair for cleanliness. They had scissors back then (invented in Mesopotamia) and the Romans invented the pivot scissors that we know of.
But is Paul writing some profound spiritual doctrine by which we ought to abide by, or is he giving his own opinion on men and women as husbands and wives with hair being an allegory concerning Eden?
1Cor 11:10 That is why a wife ought to have a symbol of authority on her head, because of the angels. (so what does this mean???) Traditionally it lead to women wearing bonnets and hats in church services.

1Cor 11:14 Does not nature itself teach you that if a man wears long hair it is a disgrace for him,
11:15 but if a woman has long hair, it is her glory? For her hair is given to her for a covering.
11:16 If anyone is inclined to be contentious, we have no such practice, nor do the churches of God.
verse 16 if I read it right is saying that this is personal spiritual opinion by Paul rather than a commandment from the Lord.
Also I believe that rabbis, etc. did not shave their beards, but they were allowed to cut their hair.

Active
Greetings dear brothers and sisters

A few hairy questions :)

Should Christian men have long hair or short hair?

Should this verse be applied today......or does the context have a different implication?

Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him
1 Corinthians 11:14

Should Christian men have beards? Or should they shave?

( As a child I was in the brethren fellowship and all men had short hair and were clean shaven because they believed that was correct.)

Is there a right or a wrong?

Looking forward to some peaceful interesting responses.
Please add scripture.
Short hair on men: Is it in the Word of God? Yes, written as with an iron pen. Are you following the Word? Yes? Then your hair will be short.

Beards are required of the priestly class. As s new creature in Christ, are we not all in a priestly class? Yes. Therefore "we shall wear the beard after the example of Christ and of all our first saints, since it is something manly, natural, severe, despised, and austere." Franciscan Constitution.

"Growing a beard is a habit most natural, scriptural, manly, and beneficial." C. H. Spurgeon.

I wear my hair short and my beard I let grow. Hoping for a footlong beard by summers end.

To all you clean-shaven fellas, your problem is not merely the absence of a beard, but your efforts to smooth and soften yourself like women

Loyal
We must be very careful concerning culture shock. And christianity comes in all forms and culture. Now concerning Biblical culture according to the Bible. God gave instructions concerning the "Nazirite" described as being "Holy unto GOD" there where certain conditional "Nazirite" Samson, John the Baptist, Arron's Beard, I have grown a beard since the day I could, clean cut. winter beard, summer clean slaved. When i was young in the Ministry they question my beard, And I started talking about "Jesus", John the Baptist. and my last quote, which a know by heart over the years.
(Psalms 133)
"Behold, how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity!
It is like the precious ointment upon the head, that ran down upon the beard, even Aaron's beard: that went down to the skirts of his garments;
As the dew of Hermon, and as the dew that descended upon the mountains of Zion: for there the LORD commanded the blessing, even life for evermore."

Those old Pastor, did not know what to do with me. they would just smile and my last name. I had to be on my toes around them, and I had to come with it. And I did it with the Unadulterated Word of GOD. And better not have an ounce of "PloughBOY" in there. It had to be sound. They will have you crying! Curse you out! Tell you to go back, because you as "Green as it!" Many who think they know a lot about these pastors and the Word of GOD, :eyes: this does not mean they are bad. A lot of Churches you cannot even read in your churches the real words that GOD has said! For many of you would be offended because many think we are more HOLIER than He! BY our ways and actions reveals what is in our hearts.:pensive:

So concerning hair and Beards, depends on your culture and the community in which you live. I know big, large churches to be on the Ministry Board You must reveal your Salary or paycheck and give from the top 20 percent of you earnings. yes you do, and they do it too! Ist time I heard that, My wife friend is medical doctor and Her husband is a Lawyer. And they had to pay 20 percent of the combine two. I ask my wife; you mean to tell me, that man, show his paychecks to the board of Ministries, to sit in the "Pulpit" while the Pastor and His Wife collects checks from the congregation! And he doesn't even Preach. Then I started my own investigations through out The Word of Faith Movement, and those of similar practices. My findings, 20 percent was the norm and you must present your family's income for verification, And to be a cheerful giver.:pensive:

Culture shock is amazing! even in the "Community of our churches"!

Sorry for getting off base.

PS in Texas at a couple of Churches I have seen; "Choir Robes" so short when they raise their arms up you could see their panties in their High Heels shoes! the men out number the Females at that church!
I could tell you lot and show you a lot, but it would be unlawful to present it on "TalkJesus".com. what is going on in some churches!

Sometimes i just want to let people see what is going on. Because a lot of people think I am lying.

I have seen Bible classes where women are teaching, and nailing it a classroom full of men, but her blouse is wide open. It is wild out here! I am not lying! And this thing is going on and on! I have ask GOD why do I see all of this stuff, why am I approach by strangers with this stuff. Christians! How do I walked into this stuff.

Some times i have to get stuff off of my chest. And they are worrying about "beards" and "Tongues" how long can a mans hair be. I am bald headed, my daddy was bald headed, my grand daddy was bald headed, my brother is bald headed! Elijah was Bald headed.:sob:

You can delete this, if you want to!

I can tell you some stuff you will not believe me. But the only way without me telling you or showing you for you to believe me, Read your Old testament about "Israel" what GOD said about them through out the OT. And liken our generation to a "Biblical Motif". "For by Grace are we saved and not of Ourselves" it is a gift and not earn"
I know I thank HIM. I thank HIM.:pensive: If I make it in that GATE, You are going to know I am there! You will not have to look for me! All heaven going to know I am there!

Staff Member
Some times i have to get stuff off of my chest. And they are worrying about "beards" and "Tongues" how long can a mans hair be.

Greetings brother @PloughBoy

There's no worrying about beards going on here.

It was an interesting discussion with my children at the dinner table the other day and raised some keen questions

Blessings brother

Loyal
I tend to lean towards 1Cor 11. However...

Num 6:2 "Speak to the sons of Israel and say to them, 'When a man or woman makes a special vow, the vow of a Nazirite, to dedicate himself to the LORD,
Num 6:3 he shall abstain from wine and strong drink; he shall drink no vinegar, whether made from wine or strong drink, nor shall he drink any grape juice nor eat fresh or dried grapes.
Num 6:4 'All the days of his separation he shall not eat anything that is produced by the grape vine, from the seeds even to the skin.
Num 6:5 'All the days of his vow of separation no razor shall pass over his head. He shall be holy until the days are fulfilled for which he separated himself to the LORD; he shall let the locks of hair on his head grow long.
Num 6:6 'All the days of his separation to the LORD he shall not go near to a dead person.
Num 6:7 'He shall not make himself unclean for his father or for his mother, for his brother or for his sister, when they die, because his separation to God is on his head.
Num 6:8 'All the days of his separation he is holy to the LORD.
Num 6:9 'But if a man dies very suddenly beside him and he defiles his dedicated head of hair, then he shall shave his head on the day when he becomes clean; he shall shave it on the seventh day.

Loyal
A couple of other seemingly controversial verses that are similar...

Should a woman have short hair?

1Cor 11:15; but if a woman has long hair, it is a glory to her? For her hair is given to her for a covering.

Should a man wear a hat while praying?

1Cor 11:4; Every man who has something on his head while praying or prophesying disgraces his head.

Should a woman NOT wear a hat while praying?

1Cor 11:5; But every woman who has her head uncovered while praying or prophesying disgraces her head, for she is one and the same as the woman whose head is shaved.
1Cor 11:6; For if a woman does not cover her head, let her also have her hair cut off; but if it is disgraceful for a woman to have her hair cut off or her head shaved, let her cover her head.
1Cor 11:7; For a man ought not to have his head covered, since he is the image and glory of God; but the woman is the glory of man.

It's interesting that in both one of my Wesley commentaies and one of my Spurgeon commentaries about these verses, a woman's short hair was a sign of rebellion.

Loyal
It seems Samson was a Nazrite. (Numb 6:2; )

Jdg 16:17; So he told her all that was in his heart and said to her, "A razor has never come on my head, for I have been a Nazirite to God from my mother's womb. If I am shaved, then my strength will leave me and I will become weak and be like any other man."

Active
What is short? What is long? Is long at the 'bottom 'of the neck? Is short a butch? What about shaving the head? How out common sense and moderation?

Loyal
Cant remember where, but in my readings in the OT more recently, I remember reading that the priests need to keep their beards short, no razor, but clip it short, not letting it get long and unruly. I think it was in Ezekial.

Active
Cant remember where, but in my readings in the OT more recently, I remember reading that the priests need to keep their beards short, no razor, but clip it short, not letting it get long and unruly. I think it was in Ezekial.
Priests are to trim the hair on their heads and not to trim their beards. Ezekiel was visited by God Himself and was given specidic instructions for a specific purpose, i.e, a message to the children of Israel. See Ezekiel 1 through 5.

Loyal
The vows / requirements of the Nazorite Vow as found in Numbers 6: 5 is regarding the cutting / non-cutting of the hair.

Loyal
The OT Jews weren't supposed to trim their beards or sideburns.

Lev 19:27; 'You shall not round off the side-growth of your heads nor harm the edges of your beard.

Keep in mind Lev 19 has about 24 other laws. Including at least two sacrifices ( Lev 19:5; Lev 19:22; )

There is nothing in the NT about beards. But there is about hair length.

Loyal
Interesting many of the quotes above are from the Books of Law, the first five books of the OT.

If we are Free from the Law, which laws? Jesus came to fulfil the Law not abolish it.

So when we get quotes in the NT about items in the OT, they usually confirm or unconfirm what the OT says. :confused:

:)

Loyal
The OT Jews weren't supposed to trim their beards or sideburns.

Lev 19:27; 'You shall not round off the side-growth of your heads nor harm the edges of your beard.

Keep in mind Lev 19 has about 24 other laws. Including at least two sacrifices ( Lev 19:5; Lev 19:22; )

There is nothing in the NT about beards. But there is about hair length.

So the NT has it brother ;)

See my previous post

Loyal
There is what, we may call, "The Nature Law of GOD":pensive: For a Man to grow a beard is a Gift from GOD. If God did not want, a man to grow a beard, a man would not have a Beard. If GOD did not want a Man to Grow a Beard, JESUS would not be an example, of a Man, with a Beard. If A Bread was Good enough for Jesus, it is Good enough for me. And Ladies I am so sorry, that you may favor, "a smooth face" over The Face of Jesus:pensive: And it is so "understanding" that many have preferred an "Egyptian" face of a "Pharaoh" with Lipstick and eye shadow and Ache eyebrows and a wig than the face of "Hebrew". Warrior:pensive: "and his brothers did not know it was "Joesph" their Brother who they had sold into slavery.:pensive:

"The Nature Law of GOD"

[ Do not be Mistaken In this 21st Century, there are Men who look Finer, sexier, and more shapely and more smoother, and strut, and kinder Than a lot of women, that walk this earth today]. And we know it!

For even women want women who look just like them, Smooth, Kind, sensitive, to the touch. Since a "Hebrew Warrior" is too much! A warrior who will content with GOD, all night Long, an "Israelite", "GOD's Fighter"!

(Romans 1: 28)BSB
"They exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served [ to please ]the creature rather than the Creator, who is forever worthy of praise! Amen. For this reason GOD Gave them over to DISHONORABLE passions. Even their women exchanged Natural relations for unnatural ones. Likewise, the men abandoned natural relations with women and burned with lust for one another. Men committed indecent acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their error.…"

Beards are Natural for men, smooth faces for men is unnatural:eyes: Try putting on lipstick and makeup on a bearded man with a skirt on and a pair of Heels:eyes:

It might work on a shave man, but a Bearded man with a pair heels on and a shapely Skirt with Red Lipstick,:eyes: No no..

The men are walking better than women, they are smelling better than women and they are looking better and much more kinder than women and more supportive than the Feminine gender. Why, because GOD has given them over to [what they want to be] "Dishonorable Passions". If they want to Act better than the women, for GOD has Granted them that "passion." Women since you want to equal to the Man, GOD has Granted you that "Passion", you wanted smooth, you got it smooth.:pensive:

"Samuel they have not rejected you, for they have Rejected Me"

(1 Samuel 8)BSB
"And the LORD said to Samuel, “Listen to the voice of the people in all that they say to you. For it is not you they have rejected, but they have rejected Me as their KING. Just as they have done from the day I brought them up out of Egypt until this day, forsaking Me and serving other gods, so they are doing to you.…"

To a lot of Christians in this day and age, GOD has become their "GENIE" in The Bottle and Not Their "KING"!

PS "A little leave, leavens the whole Lump"

common sense and moderation?:pensive: That is a hard one, now days.

Active
Short hair or long hair ??
To wear a hat or not to wear a hat ??
To grow a beard or not to grow a beard ??
Is this a salvation issue ??