• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

A defiled conscience.

Loyal
Tit 1:15; To the pure, all things are pure; but to those who are defiled and unbelieving, nothing is pure, but both their mind and their conscience are defiled.
Tit 1:16; They profess to know God, but by their deeds they deny Him, being detestable and disobedient and worthless for any good deed.

The Bible has several verses about things that become "defiled".

Heb 12:15; See to it that no one comes short of the grace of God; that no root of bitterness springing up causes trouble, and by it many be defiled;
we can be defiled by bitterness.

Rev 14:4; These are the ones who have not been defiled with women, for they have kept themselves chaste. These are the ones who follow the Lamb wherever He goes. These have been purchased from among men as first fruits to God and to the Lamb.
we can be defiled by adultery, fornication and illicit sex.

But I would like to focus on Titus 1:15; for a moment here.

Some people, it says.. can have a "defiled" mind... and conscience.
Our conscience is kind of like our guide. Our GPS. If tells us what is right and what is wrong. It convicts us when are doing something wrong. Everyone has a conscience, even the unsaved generally know right from wrong. Even young children generally know right from wrong at a basic level.
People from other cultures, non-believers usually agree that things like stealing, lying, adultery, and murder are wrong.

But it says some people conscience can become defiled. Like a GPS with a virus, or a hardware glitch. It no longer works correctly. We can no longer trust it to tell us what is right and what is wrong.
It seems entire church denominations have succumbed to this. They know longer know right from wrong, they are no longer convicted by the Holy Spirit or their conscience. Their conscience has become defiled.

The Bible has very little meaning to them. It is "old, outdated, and no longer relevant". God's morals no longer apply, they are for other people. If your church teaches things like this, I invite you to find another church.
If you no longer feel guilty about living in sin, in fact you like nothing you do really is sin.... I invite you to ask God for forgiveness, repent.. and ask Him to fix your broken conscience. He will do it.

Loyal
Heb 12:15; See to it that no one comes short of the grace of God; that no root of bitterness springing up causes trouble, and by it many be defiled;
we can be defiled by bitterness.

that bitterness is one I need to watch out for boy o boy, it will come to you in a casual way of someone just disagreeing with my view on something (right her on TJ), then grow and grow and then its got you, I need to remember to only care what God thinks of me not what man thinks, the best way I know to combat this type of bitterness is to pray for those that cause the bitterness ask God to bless them, and most importantly bridle that tongue in most cases is the best solution. IMO its a lot harder to do it then to speak of it

James 1:26
If anyone thinks he is religious and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his heart, this person's religion is worthless.

Ephesians 4:29
Let but no corrupting talk come out of your mouths,only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear.

Proverbs 18:21
Death and life are in the power of the tongue, and those who love it will eat its fruits.

Proverbs 10:19
When words are many, transgression is not lacking, but whoever restrains his lips is prudent.

1 Peter 3:9
Do not repay evil for evil or reviling for reviling, but on the contrary, bless, for to this you were called, that you may obtain a blessing.

@B-A-C I have to compliment you on your ability to bridle your tongue at times, you are a good example,

Staff Member
@B-A-C I have to compliment you on your ability to bridle your tongue at times, you are a good example,
Yes, you may have thought he had a hoarse throut but really, that's why you don't see him horsing around!

On a more serious note, Dave,

the best way I know to combat this type of bitterness is to pray for those that cause the bitterness

Sometimes we also have to get past this stage and realize they didn't actually cause anything but the bitterness was something that came out of us.
It is certainly something to steer well clear of, as in go completely the other way! Once the root takes hold it is a savage weed to uproot and often damage is done by the bitterness we can harbor and often spit out and the way our minds HAVE to deviate from Christ in order to entertain any bitterness.

BUT, it is the devil who lies and we either listen to the lies which are like seed for bitterness or else we have some bad seed already that needs to be gone!

May the Lord bless you both @B-A-C & @Dave M ....><>

Staff Member
most excellent point brother !! thank you

Brother,

God is good, His mercy endures for ever
Without His mercy towards me i would still be blind to that.
Discovering that it is me rather than the other person, is to some not a pleasant thing, but I am so thankful that the Lord has shown me first my real need for His mercy according to my trespass and so accepting His edification was welcomed as He showed me that without it i would remain in my trespass. { i didn't word all that too well, but i think you might understand?]

There comes a time when it is not so much a 'burden' to have 'less of me' but rather a relief!!! I could go on.

Bless you Dave ....><>

Staff Member
One thing i see more and more is that often it is best to let the Lord tell someone and for us to offer the water of the Word, so to speak and encourage them as we want to be encouraged, knowing too, that we ourselves are or have been guilty of the same or similar or worse. The Lord has a Way..... let us follow Him, rather that try to take His place!