• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 13,000 members today

Register Log In

3 Excellent reasons to pray

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Active
WORD OF THE DAY (— 2nd Thessalonians 1:11 )

" Wherefore also we pray always for you, that our God would count you worthy of this calling,
and fulfill all the good pleasure of his goodness, and the work of faith with power:
"

MEDITATE ON THIS ( A people of prayer )

Prayer is an essential part of starting and continuing the Christian life. A prayer of repentance

marks the beginning of sinner's relationship with Christ. A prayer of praise signifies a grateful servants' gratitude

for all that God has done; and a prayer of intercession can allow believers to stand in the gap for others.

There are many reasons to prayer; in addition to the ones already mentioned, here are 3 more excellent reasons to pray

for a growing believer in Christ. We should prayer to experience the peace of God's presence, to possess His power,

and know His purpose.

The first excellent reason to pray is to experience the presence of God. Being a Christian

is all about love; love for God and love for others. Anyone who has been, or is in love, knows that when you love someone,

you desire to be in their presence. In Acts chapter 4 verse 13 we are told that the people marveled at Peter and John,

and then they remembered that they(Peter and John) had been in the presence of Jesus. Spending time in prayer

helps us to experience the presence of God which should radiate to all we encounter.

The second excellent reason to pray is to experience the power of God. Being in the presence of God is great,

however let us not be satisfied with His presence alone, if His eternal power does not flow. The disciples most definitely spent time

with Jesus, yet at times, they lacked His power. In Mark chapter 9 verse 29 the disciples failed at casting out a demon,

and after inquiring with Jesus for the nature of their limitation, Jesus told them that it was due to a lack of prayer and fasting.

Spending time in prayer brings power, supernatural spiritual power which is able to set people free.

A third reason to pray is to know God's plan. In the garden of Gethsemane, Jesus prayed and was seeking direction

as the crucifixion was before Him. He prayed that if it was God's WILL, the cup of suffering should pass from Him.

After praying and being ready to submit to God's plan, Jesus speaks again as the Roman soldiers came to arrest Him and

as Peter fought to prevent His arrest. John 18:11 reads, "Jesus commanded Peter, "Put your sword away! Shall I not drink the cup the

Father has given me
?" What had just happened? Previously Jesus prayed for the cup to pass, but later He tells Peter that it is His purpose

to drink the cup. What happened was Jesus had prayed and was now ready to fulfill God's plan and purpose.

Pray to be in God's presence, pray to have His power, and pray to know His plan.

- Devotional by Wala-Neh Labala

Thought for the Week

Show me a person who has a lifestyle of prayer and I will show you a person(the same)
who is living in the presence and peace of God, exhibiting God's power, and walking in God's purpose and plan
for their life.

Prayer for the week:
Dear God, thank you for your peace that comes from being in your presence. Thank you for the power
that comes from having a close proximity to you, and thanks for the ability to know your plan and
walk in my purpose, all because of prayer. In Jesus name we pray, amen.