• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

12 Ways to be Transformed by the Renewing of Our Mind

Administrator
Staff Member
Twelve Ways to be Transformed by the Renewing of Our Mind by Stephen Smarowsky

Introduction: The Scriptures were not given for our information, but for our transformation.
-D. L. Moody

Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will. Romans‬ ‭12‬:‭2‬

1. RESURRENDER - Renewal begins by offering up our whole body, soul, mind and spirit to the Lord. Luke 10:27 tells us, “And he answered, "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind…” It takes a conscious effort to present oneself to the Lord by disciplining ourselves for godliness. Paul urges us to be present our bodies as a living sacrifice. Every day we are required to re-surrender, re-submit and realign our mind, will and emotions with the purposes of God. Set aside at least fifteen minutes every morning to worship, pray and read the Bible and to allow the Lord speak to you about how He is worthy of your re-surrendering yourself to Him every day.

2. REJOICE in the Lord always. Phil. 4:4, “Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice!” Nehemiah 8:10, “Do not be grieved, for the joy of the LORD is your strength." When we find our strength through the joy of the Lord He renews our desire to please Him in all respects. By delighting in the Lord He gives us the desires of our hearts. Regardless of our circumstances His joy is transcendent over all disappointments, difficulties and discouragements.

3. REMEMBER the good things you have and are becoming in Christ. People who have forgotten the benefits of being in Christ tend to slip back in to mediocrity and self-destructive tendencies.

Illustration: Sometimes we as Christians need to stop along life’s road and look back. Although it might have been winding and steep, we can see how God directed us by His faithfulness. Here’s how F.E. Marsh described what the Christian can see when he looks back:

- The deliverances the Lord has wrought (Deut. 5:15).

- The way He has led (Deut. 8:2)

- The blessings He has bestowed (Deut. 32:7-12).

- The victories He has won (Deut. 11:2-7).

- The encouragements He has given (Josh. 23:14).

When we face difficulties, we sometimes forget God’s past faithfulness. We see only the detours and the dangerous path. But look back and you will also see the joy of victory, the challenge of the climb, and the presence of your traveling Companion who has promised never to leave you nor forsake you.

4. RECKON yourself as dead to old desires and be filled with the Spirit’s power, perspective and guidance. Too many people allow the old desires to be fed instead of feeding from the Spirit’s supernatural forces. Calculate all the benefits you have in Christ’s forgiveness, hope, faith and love. Compare these benefits with the empty promises offered by fleshly desires.

"He is no fool to give what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."
-Jim Elliot-

5. RECONSIDER all of the negative conditioning that has led you in the past and realize you need to reprogram your thinking to what is excellent, good, honorable, right, true, and worthy of praise. Without an effort to reconsider how our faulty assumptions affect our decision making we will tend to operate under the same old destructive thought patterns.

6. REPLACE what is fleshly with what is God’s word. Paul wrote, "Put away anger, jealousy, wrath, slander and clamor and put on a heart of compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience, bearing with one another, forgiving each other just as God in Christ has forgiven you” (Eph. 4:22-32). Learn how to replace whatever is prompted by fleshly tendencies with Spirit controlled scriptural principles. Let God’s word dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another with songs and hymns and spiritual songs. “Singing and making melody in your hearts to the Lord. And whatever you do, do it all in the name and the authority of Jesus" (Col. 3:16-17).

We need to teach, preach and exhort people with God’s word as it brings life back to those who are seemingly dead. Even if people are not attractive they still need the revival that God’s word brings to their souls.
- Paul Fritz-

7. REALIZE God’s will for your life is what is best in all situations. Many people think that they can discover the best pathways to follow on their own. By praying about everything we are apt to follow Paul’s advice and "In everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your request be made known to God and the peace of God that passes all comprehension will guard your hearts and mind in Christ Jesus" (Phil. 4:6-7). People are not aware that God’s will is better than all human ways, our human perspectives and our human patterns of response. A full realization of God’s will is only made possible through prayerful petitions that allow the Spirit of God to work in and through us by His power. Prayerful people are better able to perceive what God wants to bring to life through and in their relationships, activities and ministries.

8. RECONCILE with those who are in conflict with you by addressing them as brothers or sisters. Paul writes, "I beseech you therefore, brethren." Even though Pual was a great apostle, he humbly addresses mean, unkind and uncaring people as brethren. He expresses affection, concern and kindness to those who are least deserving of it. Bless those who persecute you and pray for those who try to do you harm. Be liberal in your love with expressions of thankfulness, warmth and support for their needs as far as it is possible.

9. RESIST the conformity to the world. Know that the greatest enemy to renewal is conformity to the patterns of the world with its lust of the flesh, lust of the eyes and boastful pride of life. If people provoke us we are not to lose our cool. We are not to be boastful, argumentative or rude when we are criticized. We are to not be divisive when we do not get our way. We are to not prematurely write people off because they do not measure up to our standards. The rule of the gospel is positive, not the politically correct mentality of going along to get along.

10. RECONSIDER the effects that renewal brings in leading us to the will of God. We will be given greater clarity, hope and fulfillment through the will of God which is good, acceptable and perfect. People who are in the will of God are healthier, more blessed and able to make the best out of the most adverse situations. They are maximizing their contributions for eternity. They will be promoted to positions of great responsibility not only in this life but also in the one to come. "He who is faithful in a very little thing is faithful also in much; and he who is unrighteous in a very little thing is unrighteous also in much” Luke 6:10-12. We will gain a greater sense of God’s favor and of those who call upon the Lord from a pure heart. We will find ourselves living with greater love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness, faithfulness and self-control. We will not fall into patterns of depression, anger or fear that our needs will not be met. We are overcomers with good rather than victims of what is evil.

11. RECHARGE your batteries with His grace. Paul writes, "For by the grace given to me I say to everyone do not think of yourself more highly than you ought to think but think so as to have sound judgment as God has allotted to each of measure of faith" (Rom. 12:3). God infuses new energy, vitality and ideas in to our mind when we are renewed by His word, His Spirit and the fellowship of other believers. Do not think you can go very long on self-charging of your spiritual batteries. We need the recharging of God’s grace given through the edification, encouragement and enrichment of other members of Christ’s body and their spiritual gifts.

12. RETHINK the best ways that you match your spiritual gifts with others who can best complement your own. Sometimes we need to experiment before we can find the best fit with our spiritual gifts in fellowships, relationships and ministries where God can maximize our usefulness. Some jobs, people or ministries may fit you at one period in your life but there may be a need for a change. Ask the Lord to reassign you to places, people and ministries where you can have the best fit with your gifts and the spiritual gifts, perspectives and talents of others.

Conclusion:
The motor home has allowed us to put all the conveniences of home on wheels. A camper no longer needs to contend with sleeping in a sleeping bag, cooking over a fire, or hauling water from a stream. Now he can park a fully equipped home on a cement slab in the midst of a few pine trees and hook up to a water line, a sewer line and electricity. One motor home I saw recently had a satellite dish attached on top. No more bother with dirt, no more smoke from the fire, no more drudgery of walking to the stream. Now it is possible to go camping and never have to go outside. We buy a motor home with the hope of seeing new places, of getting out into the world. Yet we deck it out with the same furnishings as in our living room. Thus nothing really changes. We may drive to a new place, set ourselves in new surrounding, but the newness goes unnoticed, for we’ve only carried along our old setting.

The adventure of new life in Christ begins when the comfortable patterns of the old life are left behind.

Thanks Chad.
As soon as I saw the 'Twelve ways ...' I thought about how the twelve steps of AA transformed my psyche.
I am not going to outline the 12 steps of the AA spiritual program here.
However, over the decades of using the AA program I have come to understand it in one word - repent.
Everyday, all day, is about realigning my thoughts to receive and carry out God's will.
Many times a day, in many subtle ways, I reclaim my will. Then to transform back to God's will, I need to repent (acknowledge my tension, fears, wants, etc.)

When I first started doing this, I could only see the gross/coarse self-will symptoms (rage, anger, anxiety, paranoia). It was like only seeing the boulders in the foreground of my landscape.
Once the boulders were mastered, I started to see hundreds of rocks and stones, the subtle fears, tensions, etc that were hidden in the background.
Now, over the years of transforming, I am walking over thousands of tiny pebbles. Each pebble is so subtle, Only the sensitive people would know that they are there.
Life becomes a constant handing over of self-will, like ever breath out is a surrender.

Active

Introduction: The Scriptures were not given for our information, but for our transformation.
-D. L. Moody

1. RESURRENDER - Renewal begins by offering up our whole body, soul, mind and spirit to the Lord. Luke 10:27 tells us, “And he answered, "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind…” It takes a conscious effort to present oneself to the Lord by disciplining ourselves for godliness. Paul urges us to be present our bodies as a living sacrifice. Every day we are required to re-surrender, re-submit and realign our mind, will and emotions with the purposes of God. Set aside at least fifteen minutes every morning to worship, pray and read the Bible and to allow the Lord speak to you about how He is worthy of your re-surrendering yourself to Him every day.

2. REJOICE in the Lord always. Phil. 4:4, “Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice!” Nehemiah 8:10, “Do not be grieved, for the joy of the LORD is your strength." When we find our strength through the joy of the Lord He renews our desire to please Him in all respects. By delighting in the Lord He gives us the desires of our hearts. Regardless of our circumstances His joy is transcendent over all disappointments, difficulties and discouragements.

3. REMEMBER the good things you have and are becoming in Christ. People who have forgotten the benefits of being in Christ tend to slip back in to mediocrity and self-destructive tendencies.

Illustration: Sometimes we as Christians need to stop along life’s road and look back. Although it might have been winding and steep, we can see how God directed us by His faithfulness. Here’s how F.E. Marsh described what the Christian can see when he looks back:

When we face difficulties, we sometimes forget God’s past faithfulness. We see only the detours and the dangerous path. But look back and you will also see the joy of victory, the challenge of the climb, and the presence of your traveling Companion who has promised never to leave you nor forsake you.

4. RECKON yourself as dead to old desires and be filled with the Spirit’s power, perspective and guidance. Too many people allow the old desires to be fed instead of feeding from the Spirit’s supernatural forces. Calculate all the benefits you have in Christ’s forgiveness, hope, faith and love. Compare these benefits with the empty promises offered by fleshly desires.

5. RECONSIDER all of the negative conditioning that has led you in the past and realize you need to reprogram your thinking to what is excellent, good, honorable, right, true, and worthy of praise. Without an effort to reconsider how our faulty assumptions affect our decision making we will tend to operate under the same old destructive thought patterns.

6. REPLACE what is fleshly with what is God’s word. Paul wrote, "Put away anger, jealousy, wrath, slander and clamor and put on a heart of compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience, bearing with one another, forgiving each other just as God in Christ has forgiven you” (Eph. 4:22-32). Learn how to replace whatever is prompted by fleshly tendencies with Spirit controlled scriptural principles. Let God’s word dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another with songs and hymns and spiritual songs. “Singing and making melody in your hearts to the Lord. And whatever you do, do it all in the name and the authority of Jesus" (Col. 3:16-17).

We need to teach, preach and exhort people with God’s word as it brings life back to those who are seemingly dead. Even if people are not attractive they still need the revival that God’s word brings to their souls.
- Paul Fritz-

7. REALIZE God’s will for your life is what is best in all situations. Many people think that they can discover the best pathways to follow on their own. By praying about everything we are apt to follow Paul’s advice and "In everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your request be made known to God and the peace of God that passes all comprehension will guard your hearts and mind in Christ Jesus" (Phil. 4:6-7). People are not aware that God’s will is better than all human ways, our human perspectives and our human patterns of response. A full realization of God’s will is only made possible through prayerful petitions that allow the Spirit of God to work in and through us by His power. Prayerful people are better able to perceive what God wants to bring to life through and in their relationships, activities and ministries.

8. RECONCILE with those who are in conflict with you by addressing them as brothers or sisters. Paul writes, "I beseech you therefore, brethren." Even though Pual was a great apostle, he humbly addresses mean, unkind and uncaring people as brethren. He expresses affection, concern and kindness to those who are least deserving of it. Bless those who persecute you and pray for those who try to do you harm. Be liberal in your love with expressions of thankfulness, warmth and support for their needs as far as it is possible.

9. RESIST the conformity to the world. Know that the greatest enemy to renewal is conformity to the patterns of the world with its lust of the flesh, lust of the eyes and boastful pride of life. If people provoke us we are not to lose our cool. We are not to be boastful, argumentative or rude when we are criticized. We are to not be divisive when we do not get our way. We are to not prematurely write people off because they do not measure up to our standards. The rule of the gospel is positive, not the politically correct mentality of going along to get along.

10. RECONSIDER the effects that renewal brings in leading us to the will of God. We will be given greater clarity, hope and fulfillment through the will of God which is good, acceptable and perfect. People who are in the will of God are healthier, more blessed and able to make the best out of the most adverse situations. They are maximizing their contributions for eternity. They will be promoted to positions of great responsibility not only in this life but also in the one to come. "He who is faithful in a very little thing is faithful also in much; and he who is unrighteous in a very little thing is unrighteous also in much” Luke 6:10-12. We will gain a greater sense of God’s favor and of those who call upon the Lord from a pure heart. We will find ourselves living with greater love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness, faithfulness and self-control. We will not fall into patterns of depression, anger or fear that our needs will not be met. We are overcomers with good rather than victims of what is evil.

11. RECHARGE your batteries with His grace. Paul writes, "For by the grace given to me I say to everyone do not think of yourself more highly than you ought to think but think so as to have sound judgment as God has allotted to each of measure of faith" (Rom. 12:3). God infuses new energy, vitality and ideas in to our mind when we are renewed by His word, His Spirit and the fellowship of other believers. Do not think you can go very long on self-charging of your spiritual batteries. We need the recharging of God’s grace given through the edification, encouragement and enrichment of other members of Christ’s body and their spiritual gifts.

12. RETHINK the best ways that you match your spiritual gifts with others who can best complement your own. Sometimes we need to experiment before we can find the best fit with our spiritual gifts in fellowships, relationships and ministries where God can maximize our usefulness. Some jobs, people or ministries may fit you at one period in your life but there may be a need for a change. Ask the Lord to reassign you to places, people and ministries where you can have the best fit with your gifts and the spiritual gifts, perspectives and talents of others.

Conclusion:
The motor home has allowed us to put all the conveniences of home on wheels. A camper no longer needs to contend with sleeping in a sleeping bag, cooking over a fire, or hauling water from a stream. Now he can park a fully equipped home on a cement slab in the midst of a few pine trees and hook up to a water line, a sewer line and electricity. One motor home I saw recently had a satellite dish attached on top. No more bother with dirt, no more smoke from the fire, no more drudgery of walking to the stream. Now it is possible to go camping and never have to go outside. We buy a motor home with the hope of seeing new places, of getting out into the world. Yet we deck it out with the same furnishings as in our living room. Thus nothing really changes. We may drive to a new place, set ourselves in new surrounding, but the newness goes unnoticed, for we’ve only carried along our old setting.

The adventure of new life in Christ begins when the comfortable patterns of the old life are left behind.
Chad,
This has sat here so long I ceased looking in and when this arrived in my email, Thunderbird marked it as junk and i am glad, now, I looked through before deleting the junk. This is a very well constructed lesson and i thank you for opening the subject.

A little history; I am terminal and in the fourth stage of MS caused by repeated exposure tyo Agents Orange, White and Blue during my three volunteer trips to sunny, beautiful, South Vietnam. I try not to dwell on the negative and, as a result, am not sure how many years ago I would be dead in two years or less by one of my Va Doctors but it is about five years ago and maybe longer.

Even though I was teaching the grumpy Old Men's Class, my cronic depression fell over me like a SAM Missal on a Huey Slick with a flame out at ten thousand feet. By turning to scripture I moved a very short trip down that path and my joy returned and has remained, even though I seldom can get out of bed and out of the house to attend Church now. These twelve points are so important to be incorporated into our moment by moment lives and i pray many will be blessed by the reading of your string here.

God bless, brother.

Active
Thanks Chad.
As soon as I saw the 'Twelve ways ...' I thought about how the twelve steps of AA transformed my psyche.
I am not going to outline the 12 steps of the AA spiritual program here.
However, over the decades of using the AA program I have come to understand it in one word - repent.
Everyday, all day, is about realigning my thoughts to receive and carry out God's will.
Many times a day, in many subtle ways, I reclaim my will. Then to transform back to God's will, I need to repent (acknowledge my tension, fears, wants, etc.)

When I first started doing this, I could only see the gross/coarse self-will symptoms (rage, anger, anxiety, paranoia). It was like only seeing the boulders in the foreground of my landscape.
Once the boulders were mastered, I started to see hundreds of rocks and stones, the subtle fears, tensions, etc that were hidden in the background.
Now, over the years of transforming, I am walking over thousands of tiny pebbles. Each pebble is so subtle, Only the sensitive people would know that they are there.
Life becomes a constant handing over of self-will, like ever breath out is a surrender.
Hello peter and welcome.

Thank you Chad!
I opened my inbox to find exactly what I needed, a lovely post that led me to the word of God
I really needed that this morning. It's so easy to get distracted by the world and all that is in it. Sometimes when I am blessed because of my relationship with Christ, that is when I start to fall away from him and the renewal of mind through him. The resurrendering is so important!
-Margo

Active

-D. L. Moody

- Paul Fritz-

Conclusion:

Thank you so very much my beloved Brother in Christ Jesus for giving us this fantastic teaching on our mind renewal. Just this morning I was speaking to God about my surrender to Him and repenting of sin that hinders my surrender to my Master Jesus. If for no one else, this teaching was for me. I read it slowly so it would sink into my needy heart.

After 40+ years of being a servant of Jesus, my need for mind renewal is so very needed. Again, thank you for considering this teaching to put forward into this Forum. May the Grace and mercy of God fill you to over flowing....Love You!

-D. L. Moody

- Paul Fritz-

Conclusion:

The transforming and renewing let us first consider the spoken word transforming is very close to simply changing our minds. Renewing is just as the word implies to Re new should be considered as refreshing as the word New in New Testament directly implies. By this is where we should start in our thinking we should change our minds with a refreshed view not necessary brand new as the word is in our minds today.knwing this we should use the intier bible old and refreshed covenant to be one in the same.this should transform a different understanding of the law of Moses incorporating faith in Christ as well.if we say the law has been aborgated there is no importance to the first five books.the missunderstanding is most will say if we are still under the law we are under all of it. That would be a true statement so the question becomes if we are then should the adulterous person along with the sabbath breaker should be put to death by stoning.This is where the renewing and transforming will begin if we know the law was to define sin.iesus himself describes sin as the transgression of the law in the New Testament.the importance of knowing the so called Old Testament law is in this. By knowing it no one would commit such offenses to demand such punishment.With no offence there is no penalty if no penalty then the act of stoning would never be carried out. With no penalty we are set free form the curse or penalty of the law. This is the only way God can be unchangeable beginning to end with the his teachings intacted still living within the boundaries of the law with his gift to help us to understand this. I truly hope this was a blessing to all. God bless and keep you.as you were called to a Royal Preisthood per Isaiah 66:21

This is great advice, but I'm just too beaten down and exhausted to follow it. It also indicates that if one has enough faith they will not suffer from depression, anxiety, etc. I just don't know what to believe anymore, and it's driving me crazy.

Administrator
Staff Member
This is great advice, but I'm just too beaten down and exhausted to follow it. It also indicates that if one has enough faith they will not suffer from depression, anxiety, etc. I just don't know what to believe anymore, and it's driving me crazy.

Hi sister. If I can offer some encouragement to you, listen / read about Derek Prince's struggle with depression before he claimed victory in Christ. We all might struggle from some temporary depression. I don't think this article is stating we're 100% immune to that from time to time. I think it refers to overall lifestyle, attitude and any bandages in our lives that can be broken by the power and name of Jesus Christ. He lives in us, He is greater and above all things and powers. My advice also is to re-read the article a few times, in prayerful consideration. It's not our strength, but the Holy Spirit who dwells in us and strengthens us.

Hi sister. If I can offer some encouragement to you, listen / read about Derek Prince's struggle with depression before he claimed victory in Christ. We all might struggle from some temporary depression. I don't think this article is stating we're 100% immune to that from time to time. I think it refers to overall lifestyle, attitude and any bandages in our lives that can be broken by the power and name of Jesus Christ. He lives in us, He is greater and above all things and powers. My advice also is to re-read the article a few times, in prayerful consideration. It's not our strength, but the Holy Spirit who dwells in us and strengthens us.

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately my depression has been with me for most of my life. I have struggled a lot with the reasons for it. I do know that I have no strength of my own. Less and less, it seems.

Where do I read about this Derek Prince?

Administrator
Staff Member
Here's a short audio sermon called Helmet of Salvation where he talks about his previous battle with depression.

Here's a short audio sermon called Helmet of Salvation where he talks about his previous battle with depression.

Thank you so much, Chad. I'm afraid to hope, but I think I may finally be getting to the bottom of what has been going on for most of my life. I think the Evil One saw me as a perfect target as a young child, and I have been listening to him ever since. I only hope I can find the strength now to fight him. I feel it's life or death for me at this point, since I can't go on the way I have been.