• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

10 Ways to Practice Purity

Administrator
Staff Member
Sometimes it's a tough balance, but showing love for another while remaining pure is possible.

When you fall in love, it's natural to want to express your love in physical ways. But you also know God wants you to remain sexually pure—in both your actions andyour thoughts. Sometimes it's a tough balance, but showing love for another while remaining pure is possible. Here are some suggestions:

1. Keep innocent expressions special.Rather than making the innocent expressions a mere prelude to the "heavier stuff," make the most of them. Let holding hands mean something. Express tenderness by simply putting your arms around each other. Make sure a kiss communicates true feeling and isn't just the first step to further physical involvement.

2. Pace your passion. Every marathon runner knows that you don't use up your energy at the beginning of the race; you need most of it at the end. Pacing your passion means that you realize you're trying to remain pure all the way to your wedding day. It's OK to express your love in little ways, but don't start messing with the package that is sex. To get really practical, avoid French kissing and petting—anything that is sure to ignite the fires of passion.

3. Don't feed your fantasies. It's normal to think about sex sometimes. In fact, with the way advertising and Hollywood exploit sex, it would be impossible not to think about it. So choose your entertainment carefully. Soap operas, certain songs, books, television shows, movies and Web sites only turn up the pressure. Feeding your thought life with junk only makes it harder to remain pure in your actions.

4. Remember whose property you're touching. You do not own the person you're dating. That person belongs to God. Imagine there's a sign on everyone you date that reads: PROPERTY OF JESUS.

5. Make a promise to God, and daily renew your commitment. Decide where you're going to draw the line, and tell God that with his help, you are not going to cross that line until marriage. Don't commit to it unless you mean it, though. The Bible says it's a serious thing to make a vow to God. At the same time, realize that you can't stick to your promise without his help. That's why it's important to renew your commitment daily.

6. Acknowledge Jesus' presence on every date. Before a date, it's normal to spend a lot of time getting ready. After all, you want to look your best. But you also want to make sure you're spiritually prepared. So spend at least as much time in prayer as you do in front of a mirror. As it says in Proverbs 3:6: "Seek his will in all you do, and he will direct your paths."

7) Agree on your standards. Before sex becomes an issue in the relationship, talk about your standards with your boyfriend or girlfriend. Don't dwell only on the negative—what you won't do. Hebrews 10:24 tells us to "encourage one another to outbursts of love and good deeds." Discuss ways your friendship can help each of you become a better person.

8. Don't always go it alone. Sure, you want to be alone with your date; that's only normal. Yet too much time alone can lead you to do things you'll regret later. Your relationship will be a lot healthier if you spend time with each other's families and friends.

9. Put real love first. Genuine love always respects the other person. It never says, "If you love me, you'll … " Real love says instead, "Since I care about you so much, I will respect you, treat you with kindness, and never ask you to do something you know or feel is wrong."

10. Declare a new beginning. If you think you've already given away too much, don't give up. The beauty of Christianity is that sins are forgiven and erased (see "Can You Become a Virgin Again?"). You can start over today.

Written by Ron Hutchcraft

Active
Hmm are you dating someone chad. What about for women, shouldnt this go in the mens forum? I dont know about being a virgin again, not really possible I mean those stds dont just go away. Or do they? If youve already had children, those children dont go away either...I know people can be forgiven, but...is it realistic to expect marriage again or whatever...even widows I think if they really loved their first spouse why would they want to marry again unless their first spouse said after I die its fine you can marry someone else. I guess depends on how old they are..?

Why cant you just date without ever wanting to sleep together. Like just hang out and have fun like brothers and sisters do and be friends. If God insists you run away from your parents and set up house and have offspring then fine, but is that reallyand truly what He wants us to do? I dont ever recall Jesus telling his single disciples they had to date and marry.

I think it was only fornicators Paul told they had to marry to stop fornicating. Then they only with one person for the rest of their life to share a bed with not half a dozen.

Sorry it just I like being single, marriage sounds like a lot of bondage to me, and many peoples experiences of it these days are heartbreaking. Every man will proclaim his own goodness, but a faithful man who can find?

Last edited by a moderator:
Administrator
Staff Member
Sorry it just I like being single, marriage sounds like a lot of bondage to me, and many peoples experiences of it these days are heartbreaking. Every man will proclaim his own goodness, but a faithful man who can find?

Understable, but it works both ways with both men and women. Best option is to trust God in His plans for us. He gives us breath (literally) while we pray and ask for our hearts desires. He can handle this. I’m continually learning this myself.

Active
What is your hearts desire though. Is it what God wants or what you want.
Is it to know Him or is it just to know someone of the opposite sex. Can any man or woman really know your heart or is it God who made everyones hearts the one to know?

Jesus said we will be like angels in heaven who arent given to marry. So I dont know where this purity thing for relationships between man and woman comes in, a pure heart is one thats for the Lord because you believe in Him. Its not meant to be given away to the opposite sex just because.

Maybe in the natural but the Lord is sprititual, the natural man or woman just thinks in terms of worldly how to please their husband or wife but the spiritual man or woman is only thinking of how to please the Lord. Im not trying to separate this out but it says so in scripture for people not to be distracted.

Anyway I thought purity had something to do with baptism. Has got nothing whatsoever to do with sex.

Loyal
Jesus said we will be like angels in heaven who arent given to marry. So I dont know where this purity thing for relationships between man and woman comes in, a pure heart is one thats for the Lord because you believe in Him. Its not meant to be given away to the opposite sex just because.

Maybe in the natural but the Lord is sprititual, the natural man or woman just thinks in terms of worldly how to please their husband or wife but the spiritual man or woman is only thinking of how to please the Lord. Im not trying to separate this out but it says so in scripture for people not to be distracted.

Anyway I thought purity had something to do with baptism. Has got nothing whatsoever to do with sex.
You may be going at it correctly for so long as and as far as you can do it. But even so you know that not everyone is able to go your way. This is why the apostle Paul wrote:

"I say therefore to the unmarried and widows, It is good for them if they abide even as I.
But if they cannot contain, let them marry: for it is better to marry than to burn." I Cor 7:8-9

Active
Ok, well fair enough.

One of the fruits of the holy spirit is self control though. Admittedly one of the last listed but its not one to be rejected. Because marriage doesnt really make you pure if you actually wanted to stay pure you wouldnt marry! Theres too much risk of the other person not being pure either, so to have this idea of well Im going to stay pure before marriage and them in marrriage purity doesnt matter I can now do all impure things just with the person I married, does not make much sense to me.

Check out 1 corinthians 7:37-38

Not many people ever consider that a woman maybe does NOT want to be bound! Lol
Everyone seems to assume that every woman/virgin wants to be married and have a husband but I can tell you in many cases no.!

Loyal
Check out 1 corinthians 7:37-38

Not many people ever consider that a woman maybe does NOT want to be bound! Lol
Everyone seems to assume that every woman/virgin wants to be married and have a husband but I can tell you in many cases no.!
The staying virgin and on God's side alone may apply to men as well as to women. Remember also Jesus' words on the subject:

"And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.
His disciples say unto him, If the case of the man be so with his wife, it is not good to marry.
But he said unto them, All men cannot receive this saying, save they to whom it is given.
For there are some eunuchs, which were so born from their mother's womb: and there are some eunuchs, which were made eunuchs of men: and there be eunuchs, which have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven's sake. He that is able to receive it, let him receive it." Matt 19:9-12

Active
Yes true although 'bachelor' has more cachet than 'spinster', in eyes of the world at least.
You would think believers would be more understanding but in its ingrained in some circles that everyone has to marry.

Marrieds might say well why not.
Singles might counter why on earth would you? And vice versa.

Loyal
Yes true although 'bachelor' has more cachet than 'spinster', in eyes of the world at least.
You would think believers would be more understanding but in its ingrained in some circles that everyone has to marry.

Marrieds might say well why not.
Singles might counter why on earth would you? And vice versa.
As you say there are differences in the way people may see it for a man or for a woman. But for God?

"There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus." Gal 3:28

"Then Peter opened his mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons:" Acts 10:34

Is it not God alone we need to follow and to please?

Active
For God there is no difference, and its God we need to please, so not sure what this thread is meant to be about.

Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God. Matthew 5:8

This is Pauls hearts desire, what is yours?

Brethren, my hearts desire and prayer to God for Israel is, that they might be saved. Romans 10:1