• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

10 Prophecies Fulfilled Long Ago

Administrator
Staff Member
These 10 Bible prophecies were fulfilled about 2500 years ago by the destruction of the ancient kingdoms of Babylon and Nineveh, which was the Assyrian capital at that time. According to the Bible, these empires were destroyed because they had sought to destroy the Holy Land of Israel and the people of Israel (the Jews).

1. Babylon would rule Judah for 70 years
Bible passage: Jeremiah 25:11-12
Written: sometime from 626 to about 586 BC
Fulfilled: about 609 BC to 539 BC

In Jeremiah 25:11-12, the prophet said that the Jews would suffer 70 years of Babylonian domination. Jeremiah also said Babylon would be punished after the 70 years. Both parts of this prophecy were fulfilled. In 609 BC, which is about 2600 years ago, Babylon captured the last Assyrian king and took over the holdings of the Assyrian empire, to which the land of Israel previously had been subjugated. Babylon later asserted its domination by taking many Jews as captives to Babylon, and by destroying Jerusalem and the Temple. The domination ended in 539 BC, when Cyrus, a leader of Persians and Medes, conquered Babylon and brought an end to its empire. Cyrus later offered the captive Jews the freedom to return to their homeland. The prophecy also might have been fulfilled in another way too: The Babylonians had destroyed Jerusalem's Temple in 586 BC, and the Jews rebuilt it and consecrated it 70 years later, in 516 BC. Having the Temple again showed, in a very important way, that the effects of Babylonian domination truly had come to an end.

Jeremiah 25:11-12
"…This whole country will become a desolate wasteland, and these nations will serve the king of Babylon seventy years. But when the seventy years are fulfilled, I will punish the king of Babylon and his nation, the land of the Babylonians, for their guilt," declares the Lord, "and will make it desolate forever."

2. Babylon's gates would open for Cyrus
Bible passage: Isaiah 45:1
Written: perhaps between 701-681 BC
Fulfilled: 539 BC

In Isaiah 45:1, the prophet said God would open the gates of Babylon for Cyrus and his attacking army. Despite Babylon's remarkable defenses, which included moats, and walls that were more than 70-feet thick and 300-feet high, and 250 watchtowers, Cyrus was able to enter the city and conquer it. Cyrus and his troops diverted the flow of the Euphrates River into a large lake basin. Cyrus then was able to march his army across the riverbed and into the city.

Isaiah 45:1
"This is what the Lord says to his anointed, to Cyrus, whose right hand I take hold of to subdue nations before him and to strip kings of their armor, to open doors before him so that gates will not be shut:

3. Babylon's kingdom would be overthrown, permanently
Bible passage: Isaiah 13:19

In Isaiah 13:19, the prophet said Babylon would be overthrown, permanently. History confirms that when Cyrus conquered Babylon in 539 BC, it never again rose to power as an empire. Before the time of Cyrus, however, Babylon had been defeated by the Assyrian Empire but was able to recover and later conquer the Assyrian Empire. However, like Isaiah said 2700 years ago, the Babylonian Empire never recovered from Cyrus' conquest.

Isaiah 13:19
Babylon, the jewel of kingdoms, the glory of the Babylonians' pride, will be overthrown by God like Sodom and Gomorrah.

4. Babylon would be reduced to swampland
Bible passage: Isaiah 14:23

In Isaiah 14:23, the prophet said that Babylon, which had been a world power at two different times in history, would be brought to a humble and final end. It would be reduced to swampland. After Cyrus conquered Babylon in 539 BC, the kingdom never again rose to power. The buildings of Babylon fell into a gradual state of ruin during the next several centuries. Archaeologists excavated Babylon during the 1800s. Some parts of the city could not be dug up because they were under a water table that had risen over the years.

Isaiah 14:23
"I will turn her into a place for owls and into swampland; I will sweep her with the broom of destruction," declares the Lord Almighty.

5. The Jews would survive Babylonian rule and return home
Bible passage: Jeremiah 32:36-37
Fulfilled: 536 BC

In Jeremiah 32:36-37, the prophet said that the Jews would survive their captivity in Babylon and return home. Both parts of this prophecy were fulfilled. Many Jews had been taken as captives to Babylon beginning around 605 BC. But, in 538 BC, they were released from captivity and many eventually returned to their homeland.

Jeremiah 32:36-37
"You are saying about this city, `By the sword, famine and plague it will be handed over to the king of Babylon'; but this is what the Lord, the God of Israel, says: I will surely gather them from all the lands where I banish them in my furious anger and great wrath; I will bring them back to this place and let them live in safety.

6. Nineveh would be destroyed, permanently
Bible passage: Nahum 3:19
Written: perhaps 614 BC
Fulfilled: 612 BC

In Nahum 3:19 (and 1:9), the prophet said that Nineveh, which was the Assyrian Empire's capital and perhaps the most powerful city of the ancient world, would suffer a wound that would never heal. In 612 BC (about 2600 years ago), a coalition of Babylonians, Scythians and Medes conquered the heavily fortified city. According to the Bible, Nineveh was to be punished for the empire's inhumane treatment of Israel. It is unknown as to when Nahum delivered this prophecy - some scholars speculate that it was delivered a few years before the conquest. But, it is known that Nahum was correct - Nineveh and the Assyrian empire never did recover from their defeat. (Incidentally, the Assyrian empire had conquered Babylon many years beforehand, but Babylon was able to recover from that defeat).

Nahum 3:19
Nothing can heal your wound; your injury is fatal. Everyone who hears the news about you claps his hands at your fall, for who has not felt your endless cruelty?

7. Nineveh's army officers would desert
Bible passage: Nahum 3:17

In Nahum 3:17, the prophet said Nineveh's army officers would flee rather than fight. Babylonian records claim that Assyrian army members did flee from the battle.

Nahum 3:17
Your guards are like locusts, your officials like swarms of locusts that settle in the walls on a cold day-- but when the sun appears they fly away, and no one knows where.

8. Ninevites would be drunk in their final hours
Bible passage: Nahum 1:10

In Nahum 1:10 and 3:11, the prophet said that during the final hours of the attack on Nineveh, the Ninevites would be drunk. There is evidence that this prophecy was fulfilled. According to the ancient historian Diodorus Siculus: "The Assyrian king gave much wine to his soldiers. Deserters told this to the enemy, who attacked that night." Siculus compiled his historical works about 600 years after the fall of Nineveh.

Nahum 1:10
They will be entangled among thorns and drunk from their wine; they will be consumed like dry stubble.

9. Nineveh would be destroyed by fire
Bible passage: Nahum 3:15

In Nahum 3:15, the prophet said that Nineveh would be damaged by fire. Archaeologists unearthed the site during the 1800s and found a layer of ash covering the ruins. According to the Encyclopaedia Britannica: "…Nineveh suffered a defeat from which it never recovered. Extensive traces of ash, representing the sack of the city by Babylonians, Scythians, and Medes in 612 BC, have been found in many parts of the Acropolis. After 612 BC the city ceased to be important…"

Nahum 3:15
There the fire will devour you; the sword will cut you down and, like grasshoppers, consume you…

10. Ninevites would be wiped out
Bible passage: Nahum 1:14

In Nahum 1:14, the prophet said Nineveh would have no descendants to carry on the prestige of Nineveh. Nineveh's destruction in 612 BC marked a permanent end to the Assyrian Empire. The city itself never again rose to any significant importance. Today, Nineveh is an archaeological site in Iraq.

Nahum 1:14
The Lord has given a command concerning you, [Nineveh]: "You will have no descendants to bear your name. I will destroy the carved images and cast idols that are in the temple of your gods. I will prepare your grave, for you are vile."

Administrator
Staff Member
10 More Prophecies Fulfilled Long Ago

These 10 Bible prophecies were fulfilled between 2100 years ago and 2300 years ago by the destruction of Edom and of Phoenician Tyre. According to the Bible, these nations were destroyed because they had sought to destroy the Holy Land of Israel and the people of Israel (the Jews).

1. Daniel predicted the four great kingdoms
Bible passage: Daniel 2:32-33
Written: about 530 BC
Fulfilled: Throughout history; to be completed during End Times

In Daniel 2:32-33, there is a passage that symbolically identified the four great kingdoms that would rise up and control much of world, beginning in Daniel's lifetime. The passage uses symbolic imagery:

1. The head of gold, as Daniel explained, refers to the Babylonian empire that ruled much of the world about 2600 years ago.

2. Daniel said that the head-of-gold empire would be followed by an empire symbolized by arms of silver. Christian scholars have often interpreted this to refer to the Medo-Persian empire which later conquered the Babylonian empire. The scholars say that the two arms refer to the two groups - the Medes and the Persians - who comprised the Medo-Persian empire.

3. The third kingdom was symbolized by the statue's belly and thighs of brass. Some scholars believe that this is a reference to the Grecian empire, which conquered the Medo-Persian empire. The symbol of a belly and thighs of brass suggests that the kingdom was to start out as a united empire but end up as a divided empire. Under the leadership of Alexander the Great, the Grecian Empire was a united empire. But after Alexander's death, the empire was divided into four parts and was later reduced to two parts.

4. The fourth symbol - that of iron legs and feet that were part iron and part clay - has often been suggested to be a reference to the Roman Empire, which later conquered the Grecian Empire. The Roman Empire was very powerful, but it was also very diverse, claiming dominion over a wide variety of different nations. That diversity later contributed to the downfall of the empire.

These four kingdoms ruled over much of the world, and each of the four ruled over the land of Israel during times in which a significant number of Jews - and perhaps a majority of Jews - were living in their homeland. Before the collapse of the Roman Empire, Jerusalem was destroyed and hundreds of thousands of Jews were forced into exile. Even today, a majority of Jews still live outside of Israel. Many Christian scholars suggest that the Roman Empire will be revived and will once again seek to control Israel.

Daniel 2:32-33

2. Tyre would be attacked by many nations
Bible passage: Ezekiel 26:3
Written: between 587-586 BC
Fulfilled: 573 BC, 332 BC, 1291 AD

In Ezekiel 26:3, the prophet said that Tyre, the Phoenician Empire's most powerful city, would be attacked by many nations, because of its treatment of Israel. At about the time that Ezekiel delivered this prophecy, Babylon had begun a 13-year attack on Tyre's mainland. Later, in about 332 BC, Alexander the Great conquered the island of Tyre and brought an end to the Phoenician Empire. Tyre later fell under the rule of the Romans, the Crusaders and the Moslems, who destroyed the city, again, in 1291.

Ezekiel 26:3
therefore this is what the Sovereign Lord says: I am against you, O Tyre, and I will bring many nations against you, like the sea casting up its waves.

3. Tyre's fortresses would fail
Bible passage: Amos 1:9-10
Written: about 750 BC
Fulfilled: 333-332 BC

In Amos 1:9-10, the prophet said that God would cause Tyre's protective fortresses to fail, as punishment for the way that Tyre treated Israel. That prophecy was fulfilled in 586-573 BC when Babylonian king Nebuchadnezzar attacked the mainland of Tyre, and in 333-332 BC when Alexander the Great conquered the island of Tyre. Alexander's army built a land bridge from the mainland to the island so that they could use a battering ram to break through the island's fortress.

Amos 1:9-10
This is what the Lord says: "For three sins of Tyre, even for four, I will not turn back [my wrath]. Because she sold whole communities of captives to Edom, disregarding a treaty of brotherhood, I will send fire upon the walls of Tyre that will consume her fortresses."

4. Tyre's stones, timber and soil would be cast into the sea
Bible passage: Ezekiel 26:12

In Ezekiel 26:12, the prophet said that Tyre's stones, timber and soil would be thrown into the sea. That probably would have been a fitting description of how Alexander the Great built a land bridge from the mainland to the island of Tyre when he attacked in 333-332 BC. It is believed that he took the rubble from Tyre's mainland ruins and tossed it - stones, timber and soil - into the sea, to build the land bridge (which is still there).

Ezekiel 26:12
They will plunder your wealth and loot your merchandise; they will break down your walls and demolish your fine houses and throw your stones, timber and rubble into the sea.

5. Tyre would lose its power over the sea
Bible passage: Zechariah 9:3-4
Written: between 520 and 518 BC

In Zechariah 9:3-4, the prophet said that the Phoenician city of Tyre would lose its status as a powerful nation on the Mediterranean Sea. Today there is a city called Tyre that is either on, or near, the original Phoenician site. But this Tyre is a small city in modern-day Lebanon. It is certainly not the powerful nation that it was in the days of Zechariah.

Zechariah 9:3-4
Tyre has built herself a stronghold; she has heaped up silver like dust, and gold like the dirt of the streets.

But the Lord will take away her possessions and destroy her power on the sea, and she will be consumed by fire.

6. Tyre would never again be found
Bible passage: Ezekiel 26:21
Fulfilled: after 332 BC

In Ezekiel 26:21, the prophet said that the Phoenician city of Tyre would be brought to an end and would never again be found. When Alexander the Great destroyed the city in 332 BC, he brought an end to the Phoenician Empire. The Empire was never revived or "found" again. As for the city itself, it has been torn down and built upon by a succession of world powers. Today, finding artifacts from the original Phoenician Tyre is difficult. Many of the original buildings were destroyed by Greeks, Romans, Crusaders and Moslems. According to the Columbia Encyclopedia, Fifth Edition: "The principal ruins of the city today are those of buildings erected by the Crusaders. There are some Greco-Roman remains, but any left by the Phoenicians lie underneath the present town."

Ezekiel 26:21
I will bring you to a horrible end and you will be no more. You will be sought, but you will never again be found, declares the Sovereign Lord."

7. Tyre would never be rebuilt
Bible passage: Ezekiel 26:14
Fulfilled: 332 BC

In Ezekiel 26:14, the prophet says the Phoenician city of Tyre would be destroyed and never be rebuilt. This was fulfilled when Alexander the Great conquered Tyre in 332 BC. His conquest brought an end to the Phoenician Empire. The empire never recovered from the attack. And so, it could never rebuild Tyre. Other nations and empires have built cities on or near the original Phoenician site.

Ezekiel 26:14
I will make you a bare rock, and you will become a place to spread fishnets. You will never be rebuilt, for I the Lord have spoken, declares the Sovereign Lord.

8. The Jews would avenge the Edomites
Bible passage: Ezekiel 25:14
Written: between 593-571 BC
Fulfilled: about 100 BC

In Ezekiel 25:14, the prophet said that the Jews would one day take vengeance on Edom, a nation that had often warred with the Jews. When Ezekiel delivered this prophecy, he and many other Jews were living as captives in Babylon. They didn't have control of their own country, let alone anyone else's. But, about 400 years later, Jews regained independence for Jerusalem and the surrounding area during the "Hasmonaean Period." During this time, the Jewish priest-king John Hyrcanus I defeated the Edomites. According to the Columbia Encyclopedia, Fifth Edition: "Edomite history was marked by continuous hostility and warfare with Jews… At the end of the second century B.C., they were subdued by Hasmonaean priest-king John Hyrcanus I…"

Ezekiel 25:14
I will take vengeance on Edom by the hand of my people Israel, and they will deal with Edom in accordance with my anger and my wrath; they will know my vengeance, declares the Sovereign Lord.'"

9. Edom would be toppled and humbled
Bible passage: Jeremiah 49:16
Fulfilled: about 100 BC

In Jeremiah 49:16, the prophet said that Edom, a long-time enemy of Israel, would be destroyed. Edom's capital city, Petra, was carved out of a mountain side and had great natural defenses. Nonetheless, it was destroyed and the kingdom of Edom no longer exists. Today, Petra is part of Jordan. The city was conquered by the Romans in the year 106 AD but flourished again shortly after that. But a rival city, Palmyra, eventually took most of the trade away and Petra began to decline. Moslems conquered Petra in the 7th Century and Crusaders conquered it in the 12th Century. Petra gradually fell into ruin.

Jeremiah 49:16
The terror you inspire and the pride of your heart have deceived you, you who live in the clefts of the rocks, who occupy the heights of the hill. Though you build your nest as high as the eagle's, from there I will bring you down," declares the Lord.

10. Nations would seek the counsel of Jesse's descendant
Bible passage: Isaiah 11:1-10
Fulfilled: 538 BC

In Isaiah 11:1-10, the prophet Isaiah speaks of a ruler who would be a descendant of Jesse. Jesse was the father of ancient Israel's great King David. This descendant would rule with true justice and true faith, and he would establish true peace. This peace would be so great that even wild animals would be able to lie down next to one another. This descendant would also become a standard for people throughout the world. And, this descendant would be sought by people throughout the world.

This is an important prophecy for Christians because we believe that Jesus is the fulfillment of this Old Testament promise. Jesus, as explained in the New Testament, is a descendant of Jesse. And Jesus has become a standard for peoples throughout the world. In fact, Christianity is the first religion to spread to every country in the world. The words of Jesus, which speak of true justice, true faith and true peace, have been taught to people in every country in the world. We Christians also believe that Jesus will return in the future to establish a kingdom on earth, a kingdom of justice and righteousness.

Isaiah 11:1-10
A shoot will come up from the stump of Jesse; from his roots a Branch will bear fruit. The Spirit of the Lord will rest on him-- the Spirit of wisdom and of understanding, the Spirit of counsel and of power, the Spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the Lord-- and he will delight in the fear of the Lord. He will not judge by what he sees with his eyes, or decide by what he hears with his ears; but with righteousness he will judge the needy, with justice he will give decisions for the poor of the earth. He will strike the earth with the rod of his mouth; with the breath of his lips he will slay the wicked. Righteousness will be his belt and faithfulness the sash around his waist. The wolf will live with the lamb, the leopard will lie down with the goat, the calf and the lion and the yearling together; and a little child will lead them. The cow will feed with the bear, their young will lie down together, and the lion will eat straw like the ox. The infant will play near the hole of the cobra, and the young child put his hand into the viper's nest. They will neither harm nor destroy on all my holy mountain, for the earth will be full of the knowledge of the Lord as the waters cover the sea. In that day the Root of Jesse will stand as a banner for the peoples; the nations will rally to him, and his place of rest will be glorious.

4. Babylon would be reduced to swampland
Bible passage: Isaiah 14:23

In Isaiah 14:23, the prophet said that Babylon, which had been a world power at two different times in history, would be brought to a humble and final end. It would be reduced to swampland. After Cyrus conquered Babylon in 539 BC, the kingdom never again rose to power. The buildings of Babylon fell into a gradual state of ruin during the next several centuries. Archaeologists excavated Babylon during the 1800s. Some parts of the city could not be dug up because they were under a water table that had risen over the years.

Isaiah 14:23
"I will turn her into a place for owls and into swampland; I will sweep her with the broom of destruction," declares the Lord Almighty."

So if Babylon was destroyed, never to rise again. What do you think Babylon in the New Testament is referring too?

1. Daniel predicted the four great kingdoms
Bible passage: Daniel 2:32-33
Written: about 530 BC
Fulfilled: Throughout history; to be completed during End Times

In Daniel 2:32-33, there is a passage that symbolically identified the four great kingdoms that would rise up and control much of world, beginning in Daniel's lifetime. The passage uses symbolic imagery:

1. The head of gold, as Daniel explained, refers to the Babylonian empire that ruled much of the world about 2600 years ago.

2. Daniel said that the head-of-gold empire would be followed by an empire symbolized by arms of silver. Christian scholars have often interpreted this to refer to the Medo-Persian empire which later conquered the Babylonian empire. The scholars say that the two arms refer to the two groups - the Medes and the Persians - who comprised the Medo-Persian empire.

3. The third kingdom was symbolized by the statue's belly and thighs of brass. Some scholars believe that this is a reference to the Grecian empire, which conquered the Medo-Persian empire. The symbol of a belly and thighs of brass suggests that the kingdom was to start out as a united empire but end up as a divided empire. Under the leadership of Alexander the Great, the Grecian Empire was a united empire. But after Alexander's death, the empire was divided into four parts and was later reduced to two parts.

4. The fourth symbol - that of iron legs and feet that were part iron and part clay - has often been suggested to be a reference to the Roman Empire, which later conquered the Grecian Empire. The Roman Empire was very powerful, but it was also very diverse, claiming dominion over a wide variety of different nations. That diversity later contributed to the downfall of the empire.

These four kingdoms ruled over much of the world, and each of the four ruled over the land of Israel during times in which a significant number of Jews - and perhaps a majority of Jews - were living in their homeland. Before the collapse of the Roman Empire, Jerusalem was destroyed and hundreds of thousands of Jews were forced into exile. Even today, a majority of Jews still live outside of Israel. Many Christian scholars suggest that the Roman Empire will be revived and will once again seek to control Israel.

Do you think the Roman empire will rise again?

Administrator
Staff Member
So if Babylon was destroyed, never to rise again. What do you think Babylon in the New Testament is referring too?

Read carefully @Bambi. The statement you quoted does not say it will never rise again, it just has not risen again since then. Rome/Roman Empire is not a "world power" in current times.

Last edited:
Isaiah 13:19 And Babylon, the glory of kingdoms, the beauty of the Chaldees' excellency, shall be as when God overthrew Sodom and Gomorrah.
20 It shall never be inhabited, neither shall it be dwelt in from generation to generation: neither shall the Arabian pitch tent there; neither shall the shepherds make their fold there.

Will the Roman Empire rise again? I know it's not currently but will it in the future according to your interpretation of scripture?

Last edited:
Loyal

Typically in the New Testament, Babylon = Rome. ( 1 Pet 5:13; Rev 14:8; Rev 16:19; Rev 17:5; etc..)
Rome has since expanded far beyond the original seven hills it was situated upon back in New Testament times, but it is still known as the city of seven hills even today. ( Rev 17:9; )
Some find it interesting that the "Lady" sits here. This is often tied to a specific church that some say worships a specific lady. In fact this church often names it's congregational churches
Our Lady of this, or Our Lady of That. Perhaps the most famous prayer by the members of this church starts out Hail (this Lady) mother of God....
Many members of this church call this lady the Queen of Heaven. ( Rev 18:7; )
It's interesting that this same "queen of heaven" spirit in mentioned Jeremiah 44, four times. This church also calls her mediatrix, and they say she is sinless.
It's also interesting that the original wasn't known sitting on any hills (it is a relatively flat area) not was it on the edge of the water. The Tigris and Euphrates rivers
are relatively large, but not large enough to be mistaken for a sea (such as the Mediterranean for example). Babylon was destroyed roughly 150 years before the New Testament,
Rome still sits in the midst of hills and on the edge of a sea even today.

Some believe the original Babylon will somehow rise again from ashes in modern day Iraq. On the other hand...
Rev 18:2 And he cried mightily with a strong voice, saying, Babylon the great is fallen, is fallen, and is become the habitation of devils, and the hold of every foul spirit, and a cage of every unclean and hateful bird.
Rev 18:3 For all nations have drunk of the wine of the wrath of her fornication, and the kings of the earth have committed fornication with her, and the merchants of the earth are waxed rich through the abundance of her delicacies.
Rev 18:4 And I heard another voice from heaven, saying, Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues.
Rev 18:5 For her sins have reached unto heaven, and God hath remembered her iniquities.
Rev 18:6 Reward her even as she rewarded you, and double unto her double according to her works: in the cup which she hath filled fill to her double.
Rev 18:7 How much she hath glorified herself, and lived deliciously, so much torment and sorrow give her: for she saith in her heart, I sit a queen, and am no widow, and shall see no sorrow.
Rev 18:8 Therefore shall her plagues come in one day, death, and mourning, and famine; and she shall be utterly burned with fire: for strong is the Lord God who judgeth her.
Rev 18:9 And the kings of the earth, who have committed fornication and lived deliciously with her, shall bewail her, and lament for her, when they shall see the smoke of her burning,
Rev 18:10 Standing afar off for the fear of her torment, saying, Alas, alas, that great city Babylon, that mighty city! for in one hour is thy judgment come.

Ancient Babylon didn't have near the influence on the world that both ancient and modern Rome did/does.

Typically in the New Testament, Babylon = Rome. ( 1 Pet 5:13; Rev 14:8; Rev 16:19; Rev 17:5; etc..)
Rome has since expanded far beyond the original seven hills it was situated upon back in New Testament times, but it is still known as the city of seven hills even today. ( Rev 17:9; )

Based on what do you see Babylon = Rome? Rev 17 gives two identities one is the woman, the harlot. Which is what God refers to the nation of Israel when they go ******* after other gods. The other is the Beast with seven heads and ten horns, which I would agree is Rome, seven hills, etc. Another thing that leads me to believe Babylon is Israel or more precise Jerusalem is Rev 11:8. It identifies the city were Jesus was crucified as being Egypt and Sodom. John is using images to identify Israel using Old Testament enemies of God's people.

I believe Babylon is Jerusalem.

Last edited:
Loyal
Which is what God refers to the nation of Israel when they go ******* after other gods.

Israel was called a Harlot many times in the OT. (The story of Gomer and Hosea comes to mind).
But The New Testament makes it clear God will restore Israel. Most of the nation of Israel will come back to God, they are still referred to as his chosen people, even in the New Testament.
It's unlikely he would destrpy his chosen people who he is turning back to him.

Rom 11:26; and so all Israel will be saved; just as it is written, "THE DELIVERER WILL COME FROM ZION, HE WILL REMOVE UNGODLINESS FROM JACOB."
Heb 8:10; "FOR THIS IS THE COVENANT THAT I WILL MAKE WITH THE HOUSE OF ISRAEL AFTER THOSE DAYS, SAYS THE LORD: I WILL PUT MY LAWS INTO THEIR MINDS, AND I WILL WRITE THEM ON THEIR HEARTS. AND I WILL BE THEIR GOD, AND THEY SHALL BE MY PEOPLE.

However this hasn't happened yet.
Rom 11:25; For I do not want you, brethren, to be uninformed of this mystery--so that you will not be wise in your own estimation--that a partial hardening has happened to Israel until the fullness of the Gentiles has come in;

1 Pet 2:9; But you are A CHOSEN RACE, A royal PRIESTHOOD, A HOLY NATION, A PEOPLE FOR God's OWN POSSESSION, so that you may proclaim the excellencies of Him who has called you out of darkness into His marvelous light;
1 Pet 2:10; for you once were NOT A PEOPLE, but now you are THE PEOPLE OF GOD; you had NOT RECEIVED MERCY, but now you have RECEIVED MERCY.
1 Pet 2:11; Beloved, I urge you as aliens and strangers to abstain from fleshly lusts which wage war against the soul.
1 Pet 2:12; Keep your behavior excellent among the Gentiles, so that in the thing in which they slander you as evildoers, they may because of your good deeds, as they observe them, glorify God in the day of visitation.

Obviously verse 12 makes it clear he isn't talking to Gentiles in this passage.

1 Pet 2:25; For you were continually straying like sheep, but now you have returned to the Shepherd and Guardian of your souls.

Rom 11:1; I say then, God has not rejected His people, has He? May it never be! For I too am an Israelite, a descendant of Abraham, of the tribe of Benjamin.
Rom 11:2; God has not rejected His people whom He foreknew. Or do you not know what the Scripture says in the passage about Elijah, how he pleads with God against Israel?
Rom 11:23; And they also, if they do not continue in their unbelief, will be grafted in, for God is able to graft them in again.

Last edited:
Loyal
More about Gomer and Hosea.

Hos 1:2; When the LORD first spoke through Hosea, the LORD said to Hosea, "Go, take to yourself a wife of harlotry and have children of harlotry; for the land commits flagrant harlotry, forsaking the LORD."
Hos 1:3; So he went and took Gomer the daughter of Diblaim, and she conceived and bore him a son.

The book of Hosea is an allegorical book, the relationship of Hosea and his wife follows the relationship of Israel and God.
Yet despite the continued unfaithfulness of Israel over and over again. The book finishes thus...

Hos 14:1; Return, O Israel, to the LORD your God, For you have stumbled because of your iniquity.
Hos 14:4; I will heal their apostasy, I will love them freely, For My anger has turned away from them.

Indeed much of the Old Testament in it's entirety is about the unfaithfulness of Israel. Over two dozen times in the Old Testament Israel turns away from God, and then turns back to him again.

Israel was called a Harlot many times in the OT. (The story of Gomer and Hosea comes to mind).
But The New Testament makes it clear God will restore Israel. Most of the nation of Israel will come back to God, they are still referred to as his chosen people, even in the New Testament.
It's unlikely he would destrpy his chosen people who he is turning back to him.

Rom 11:26; and so all Israel will be saved; just as it is written, "THE DELIVERER WILL COME FROM ZION, HE WILL REMOVE UNGODLINESS FROM JACOB."
Heb 8:10; "FOR THIS IS THE COVENANT THAT I WILL MAKE WITH THE HOUSE OF ISRAEL AFTER THOSE DAYS, SAYS THE LORD: I WILL PUT MY LAWS INTO THEIR MINDS, AND I WILL WRITE THEM ON THEIR HEARTS. AND I WILL BE THEIR GOD, AND THEY SHALL BE MY PEOPLE.

However this hasn't happened yet.
Rom 11:25; For I do not want you, brethren, to be uninformed of this mystery--so that you will not be wise in your own estimation--that a partial hardening has happened to Israel until the fullness of the Gentiles has come in;

1 Pet 2:9; But you are A CHOSEN RACE, A royal PRIESTHOOD, A HOLY NATION, A PEOPLE FOR God's OWN POSSESSION, so that you may proclaim the excellencies of Him who has called you out of darkness into His marvelous light;
1 Pet 2:10; for you once were NOT A PEOPLE, but now you are THE PEOPLE OF GOD; you had NOT RECEIVED MERCY, but now you have RECEIVED MERCY.
1 Pet 2:11; Beloved, I urge you as aliens and strangers to abstain from fleshly lusts which wage war against the soul.
1 Pet 2:12; Keep your behavior excellent among the Gentiles, so that in the thing in which they slander you as evildoers, they may because of your good deeds, as they observe them, glorify God in the day of visitation.

Obviously verse 12 makes it clear he isn't talking to Gentiles in this passage.

1 Pet 2:25; For you were continually straying like sheep, but now you have returned to the Shepherd and Guardian of your souls.

Rom 11:1; I say then, God has not rejected His people, has He? May it never be! For I too am an Israelite, a descendant of Abraham, of the tribe of Benjamin.
Rom 11:2; God has not rejected His people whom He foreknew. Or do you not know what the Scripture says in the passage about Elijah, how he pleads with God against Israel?
Rom 11:23; And they also, if they do not continue in their unbelief, will be grafted in, for God is able to graft them in again.

In the book of first Peter, Peter is talking to Jews, but he's talking to believing Jews who are part of the body of Christ. Which means that even the Gentiles are a "Chosen Race, Royal Priesthood, etc.
Not all of Israel will be saved only a remnant. Roms 11:5. The NT doesn't say anything about the nation of Israel being restored only that some of the descendants of Abraham will be saved. That means they will come to Christ, not be restored to their homeland. Israel isn't just a group of physical people or a place in the middle east. It is the body of Christ. So just because some passages say Israel doesn't mean it in a physical sense.

How does Babylon=Rome? John uses imagery to portray God's view on Israel for the death of Christ. Luke 11:50 Christ announces judgment to fall on that generation of Jews for the sins of their forefathers and their sin against the Son of God. In the time between Christ's death on the cross and 70 AD God gave the Jewish people a chance for repentance. Those who repented are the remnant, those who didn't, suffered. There are still Jews today that can repent, turn to Christ, but returning to the land in Palestine really has no bearing on prophecy.

Please read the forum rules and back up your statement with Scripture.

Thank you
I did read the rules, it would be nice for you to point out exactly which rule I broke, since I still don't know.
Hopefully this explanation is better... I will show some reasons why I think America best fits the description in the Bible.

From Revelation 18:
The destruction of Babylon The Great is predicted. First of all, this is Revelation, which tells us things that are going to happen in the end-times. It is not referring to the old Babylonian civilization. Simply because, today Iraq is in no way a great power that buys huge amounts of merchandise, and spreads its culture around to all nations. Nobody wants to emulate Iraqi culture, and it is not an amazingly rich or influential nation. In fact America has greater military power than Iraq, and more money.

3 For all nations have drunk of the wine of the wrath of her fornication, and the kings of the earth have committed fornication with her, and the merchants of the earth are waxed rich through the abundance of her delicacies.
------
Revelation 18 is talking about a nation that exists right now, which is very rich, very influential and buys enormous amounts of merchandise of all types. This nation influences the entire world as seen in Verse 3 above.
------
11 And the merchants of the earth shall weep and mourn over her; for no man buyeth their merchandise any more:

12 The merchandise of gold, and silver, and precious stones, and of pearls, and fine linen, and purple, and silk, and scarlet, and all thyine wood, and all manner vessels of ivory, and all manner vessels of most precious wood, and of brass, and iron, and marble,

13 And cinnamon, and odours, and ointments, and frankincense, and wine, and oil, and fine flour, and wheat, and beasts, and sheep, and horses, and chariots, and slaves, and souls of men.

-------

The Babylon in Revelation 18 is a nation that is glorified by many around the world, and glorifies itself, and the people are the most confident that they will always overcome, and always be the most powerful. This nation has "lived deliciously" (see verse 7 below), the people are able to live comfortably, and indulge themselves as a habit. People don't say "everything's bigger in America" for no reason. Everything really is bigger in America, you can even get the best fruits and vegetables and any kind of useful or useless product you can think of. America has the power to import talents from around the world for music, modelling, medicine, information technology, science. It has the power to tell other nations what to do.
-------------------------
7 How much she hath glorified herself, and lived deliciously, so much torment and sorrow give her: for she saith in her heart, I sit a queen, and am no widow, and shall see no sorrow.
--------------------------
This Babylon The Great in Revelation has killed many prophets/saints of Elohim. America is built on a foundation of genocide against Native American Indians, and enslavement of countless Africans brought by force to North America. Even in this decade the bodies of slaves in mass graves were unearthed where great financial institutions operate. When you kill so many millions of people, there is no doubt that you are killing at least some of God's people. Certainly some of those Native American Indians and African slaves were people who loved God, however they knew him they served him to the best of their ability. Because God's people are found in every nation and every race.
-------------------------
20 Rejoice over her, thou heaven, and ye holy apostles and prophets; for God hath avenged you on her.

24 And in her was found the blood of prophets, and of saints, and of all that were slain upon the earth.

So, I am not an America-hater just saying things randomly or trying to break rules. From the Bible it really seems like the best candidate for Babylon The Great is none other than the United States of America. If maybe in coming years, another nation rises and becomes more powerful, richer, more confident and more murderous, then I would change my definition. But right now, there is no other nation that fits the prophecy so perfectly. And it would be extremely difficult for any nation right now to rise up and become an all-pervasive power like America is. This is why Americans are very confident people and can even have their own systems of measurement different from anyone in the world.

Last edited:
To "love_yeshua"

The problem with your interpretation is that Revelation was written to seven churches that exist in the first century. The things written in Revelation was for their immediate benefit.

Rev 1:1-3 The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John: 3 Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein:for the time is at hand.

Your interpretation could be assign to any country that has ever existed in the last 2000 years.

Last edited:
To "love_yeshua"

The problem with your interpretation is that Revelation was written to seven churches that exist in the first century. The things written in Revelation was for their immediate benefit.

Rev 1:1-3 The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John: 3 Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein:for the time is at hand.

Your interpretation could be assign to any country that has ever existed in the last 2000 years.

For us humans, it's been a very long time! 2000+ years!

For Elohim it's only been...2 days out of the 7. (We are not in the 7th day (7000th year) or the Day of Yahweh as yet)
Please note 2 Peter 3:8 and Psalm 90:4, to see how 1000 humans years are like no time at all for Elohim who live forever.

2 Peter 3:8
8 But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.

Psalm 90:4
4 For a thousand years in thy sight are but as yesterday when it is past, and as a watch in the night.
------------------------

This is why every message directly from Elohim refers to the end-times as "coming shortly" or "quickly". Yeshua said, "Behold, I come quickly!" But wait, he hasn't come back yet, and it's been 2000 years. Does this mean he was lying? No, it just means his reckoning of time is not limited like that of a human; he lives forever, not 100 years or 80 years. To someone immortal, 1000 years is not a long time at all.

Certainly everything in Revelation was for the churches, for their immediate benefit so many years ago. But why? Because, humans don't live very long. The fact is, all those people only had their short lifespan to prepare for Yeshua's return. They had to repent anyway and make sure they were in the right place before death. Whether someone is alive or dead when Yeshua returns, they still have to make they repented.

The interpretation cannot be applied to any country within the last 2000 years. Because, the things in Revelation have only just begun to happen. We are living the times predicted in Revelation as well as in corresponding parts of the Old Testament. For example, Damascus (in Syria, the world's oldest existing city) has not been totally destroyed as yet, but looking at the news, that is probably going to happen very soon.

You also cannot say that the predictions about the Antichrist, or about Yeshua returning and destroying enemies with a sword from his mouth, have already taken place, right? No, they have not taken place as yet, because everything predicted in Revelation is only just beginning to happen. That includes the destruction of "Mystery: Babylon The Great". Definitely for now, as I said, there really isn't any nation quite like America which fits the description so perfectly.

Last edited:
For us humans, it's been a very long time! 2000+ years!

For Elohim it's only been...2 days out of the 7. (We are not in the 7th day (7000th year) or the Day of Yahweh as yet)
Please note 2 Peter 3:8 and Psalm 90:4, to see how 1000 humans years are like no time at all for Elohim who live forever.

2 Peter 3:8
8 But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.

Psalm 90:4
4 For a thousand years in thy sight are but as yesterday when it is past, and as a watch in the night.
------------------------

This is why every message directly from Elohim refers to the end-times as "coming shortly" or "quickly". Yeshua said, "Behold, I come quickly!" But wait, he hasn't come back yet, and it's been 2000 years. Does this mean he was lying? No, it just means his reckoning of time is not limited like that of a human; he lives forever, not 100 years or 80 years. To someone immortal, 1000 years is not a long time at all.

Certainly everything in Revelation was for the churches, for their immediate benefit so many years ago. But why? Because, humans don't live very long. The fact is, all those people only had their short lifespan to prepare for Yeshua's return. They had to repent anyway and make sure they were in the right place before death. Whether someone is alive or dead when Yeshua returns, they still have to make they repented.

The interpretation cannot be applied to any country within the last 2000 years. Because, the things in Revelation have only just begun to happen. We are living the times predicted in Revelation as well as in corresponding parts of the Old Testament. For example, Damascus (in Syria, the world's oldest existing city) has not been totally destroyed as yet, but looking at the news, that is probably going to happen very soon.

You also cannot say that the predictions about the Antichrist, or about Yeshua returning and destroying enemies with a sword from his mouth, have already taken place, right? No, they have not taken place as yet, because everything predicted in Revelation is only just beginning to happen. That includes the destruction of "Mystery: Babylon The Great". Definitely for now, as I said, there really isn't any nation quite like America which fits the description so perfectly.

So you're saying it took 7,00 years to create the world?

In the Old Testament there are many passages that states God coming in judgment against Israel or it's enemies. Gen 11:5, 18:21, Exo 3:8, Deut 33:2 Christ comes in judgment in Revelation against his enemies. Those who crucified him and those who persecuted his church during the first century.

The sword of the Lord is the word of God. Eph 6:17, Heb 4:12. So, yes, he's destroying enemies with his sword. For every person who becomes a believer the enemy loses. Not everything in the Bible should be taken literally. Somethings should be taken in a spiritual sense. And not everything should be taken spiritual. You just have to known when and sometimes that's not easy. When studying scripture we need to look at all of scripture and compare to find out what the scripture really is saying.

So you're saying it took 7,00 years to create the world?

In the Old Testament there are many passages that states God coming in judgment against Israel or it's enemies. Gen 11:5, 18:21, Exo 3:8, Deut 33:2 Christ comes in judgment in Revelation against his enemies. Those who crucified him and those who persecuted his church during the first century.

The sword of the Lord is the word of God. Eph 6:17, Heb 4:12. So, yes, he's destroying enemies with his sword. For every person who becomes a believer the enemy loses. Not everything in the Bible should be taken literally. Somethings should be taken in a spiritual sense. And not everything should be taken spiritual. You just have to known when and sometimes that's not easy. When studying scripture we need to look at all of scripture and compare to find out what the scripture really is saying.

7000 human-years to create the world? Well, why not? Whose reckoning of time matters more, humans' or Elohim's? We will need to understand that because humans are limited, so is our reckoning of time. So, let's agree that Elohim's 7 days are the real 7 days. But we humans see 7 days as 7000 years, because we are slow, unadvanced and our lives only last 100 years or less. Wouldn't you agree that Heaven's 7 days would be far more advanced than the 7 days of a human?

It is true, we cannot take everything literally. But certainly we should take the very clear description of Yeshua literally. It's very simple, it's very clear, no need to turn it into something "spiritual". It's providing some visuals for us, so that we know what he will look like when he returns to judge the world. The only time you shouldn't take scriptures literally is if they can't be understood literally. But this description is easy to understand and easy to picture (and very cool, might I add.)

Revelation 19:11-16
11 And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.12 His eyes were as a flame of fire, and on his head were many crowns; and he had a name written, that no man knew, but he himself.
13 And he was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God.
14 And the armies which were in heaven followed him upon white horses, clothed in fine linen, white and clean.
15 And out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations: and he shall rule them with a rod of iron: and he treadeth the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God.
16 And he hath on his vesture and on his thigh a name written, King Of Kings, And Lord Of Lords.

Only one person is called "The Word of God": Yeshua

1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
2 The same was in the beginning with God.
3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.
4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men.

7000 human-years to create the world? Well, why not? Whose reckoning of time matters more, humans' or Elohim's? We will need to understand that because humans are limited, so is our reckoning of time. So, let's agree that Elohim's 7 days are the real 7 days. But we humans see 7 days as 7000 years, because we are slow, unadvanced and our lives only last 100 years or less. Wouldn't you agree that Heaven's 7 days would be far more advanced than the 7 days of a human?

It is true, we cannot take everything literally. But certainly we should take the very clear description of Yeshua literally. It's very simple, it's very clear, no need to turn it into something "spiritual". It's providing some visuals for us, so that we know what he will look like when he returns to judge the world. The only time you shouldn't take scriptures literally is if they can't be understood literally. But this description is easy to understand and easy to picture (and very cool, might I add.)

Revelation 19:11-16
11 And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.12 His eyes were as a flame of fire, and on his head were many crowns; and he had a name written, that no man knew, but he himself.
13 And he was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God.
14 And the armies which were in heaven followed him upon white horses, clothed in fine linen, white and clean.
15 And out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations: and he shall rule them with a rod of iron: and he treadeth the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God.
16 And he hath on his vesture and on his thigh a name written, King Of Kings, And Lord Of Lords.

Only one person is called "The Word of God": Yeshua

1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
2 The same was in the beginning with God.
3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.
4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men.

The only thing I can agree with you, is that there is only one Word of God and that is Jesus. Everything else we will have to disagree on.