• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

★ Christians AREN'T perfect!

Active
I've been getting a lil slack lately from lets call them ... worldly people (just to put it nicely) & what I hear is "Oh, you went all Godly & found Jesus so now you think you're perfect" my response is normally "NO! I gave up doing it my way because I sucked at it so now I'm giving God a chance like I should have a long time ago". "I'm NOT perfect because I'm a Christian, I'm made in HIS image & HE'S PERFECT!"

Has anyone else gotten any flack for wanting to turn your life over to God?

Loyal
@LordKnows You may lose any friends that you had before. You may lose even family that was previously close to you. These can be hard things, but really God does have something better for us if we trust Him in spite of the apparent hardships we may see. I do have new friends now, but many of those from before were lost to me soon after the Lord definitely got hold of me. Not really my choice at the first to lose them, but some things are unavoidable because each person does have to choose for himself. Some few in my case did return given time and prayer. Without God's help it would be impossible. With Him it is not only possible but desirable.

We really do want to have what Peter and John had when Peter said, "silver and gold have I none, but such as I have give I thee". What was it that Peter had that he was able to share? It is the same thing that we have today...

Staff Member
@LordKnows

All you have to tell them is. "No I'm not perfect. I'm just forgiven."
Then the door will open. For they will either go "bah" or "what?" etc.
The opportunity to presenting them the Gospel. The Good News!

For as Brother Amadeus said in quoting Peter and underlining a part of Acts 3:6
You have the best news that anyone has ever heard and to that a sinner will ever hear.
"Your Forgiven!"

Do this in love, humility, compassion and these friends can become your Brothers and Sisters in Christ Jesus.
If not.....then at least the seed has been planted for another to water.

Loyal
Has anyone else gotten any flack for wanting to turn your life over to God?
Is the Pope Catholic?
I recall witnessing to my adult sister a few months after I was born new by the Holy Spirit. Her reply to me was "Yes, but you needed saving."
My mother put it equally bluntly, "I prefer the old you." My other sister believed that she was saved by her good works and didn't need to do what
I had received. My wife left me for another man {Barry] who was a drug addict and alcoholic.
All my druggy and drinking friends stopped coming over after it was known that Nick's got religion. I never condemned them nor moralised against them.
It is simply one's testimony as to the truth of the gospel and the immediate changes in lifestyle and outlook. It challenges those who do not believe.
They don't like it, because it arouses issues of life and death that the average non-believer hasn't got time for. If they hang around you they might have to
do something, and start questioning themselves.

But Jesus knew this -
Then answered Peter and said unto him, Behold, we have forsaken all, and followed thee; what shall we have therefore?
And Jesus said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That ye which have followed me, in the regeneration when the Son of man shall sit in the throne of his glory,
ye also shall sit upon twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.
And every one that hath forsaken houses, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my name's sake, shall receive an hundredfold,
and shall inherit everlasting life.
Matthew 19:27-29 [see also Mark 10:28-30]

Active
Did, I have been through many scoffers. Praise God for it did, God in you is what they see and it offends them. Don't scoff back, but rather tell them What He did for you. Testify and tell them to REPENT. He comes quickly. Amen

Active

RJ

Where does it say this in scripture?
Why must you have this written in scripture exactly how I said it for it to be true?

You portray yourself as a mature Christian and you don't know this?
  • Do you believe that a Christian can be perfect.?
  • Are you perfect?
  • Was St. Paul perfect?
  • Is Christ not in you and is he not perfect?
  • Are you going to be without sin, 24/7 for the rest of your life.
Here is just a few of many, many verses:
1 John 1:8-10
Ecclesiastes 7:20
James 3:20
Romans 3:10

Active
I think many people like having hard copy confirmation whenever it comes to such an important topic. Just my take anyway

Active
A Christian can never be perfect but, the one inside him, is!:)
I disagree; but we must FORSAKE ALL, pick up the cross of our testimony and follow where He leads. Amen. With God, all things are possible. God is always with us, wait! where did I go? Amen.

Active

RJ

I disagree; but we must FORSAKE ALL, pick up the cross of our testimony and follow where He leads. Amen. With God, all things are possible. God is always with us, wait! where did I go? Amen.
What, you disagree with the Christian or the one in him?:confused:
Sure but, perfect is perfect right?...that would be 24/7...are you perfect 24/7?

Active
What, you disagree with the Christian or the one in him?:confused:
Sure but, perfect is perfect right?...that would be 24/7...are you perfect 24/7?
Reread what I said... that is how to be perfect; walking in the Spirit in the fullness of God; complete, undivided attention.

Sorry brother I disagree. It does not bare witness with the Spirit. With God, all things are possible. Amen. It is eternal, brother.

Active

RJ

I think many people like having hard copy confirmation whenever it comes to such an important topic. Just my take anyway
Yes but, not always the case. A good example is, Is God real. You will not find one specific verse that states this but, rather the entirety of the Bible. Better than that,,,we just know it don't we?.....Its simple, comes from with in...written on your heart!:)

Active

Possibilities & perfection are two totally different things. Nobody will ever be perfect. It is God who is in them that is perfect. Jesus IS perfect, we are merely TRYING to be with the help of God in us.

Loyal
Jesus said nobody is good except God, That seems to be what RJ is saying also, to me anyways. ;)

Loyal
Why must you have this written in scripture exactly how I said it for it to be true?

Hmmm! Must I? No, what I must have on this and anything else before acting is direction from the Lord. I don't believe that perfection as God depicts perfection in the Bible is impossible for a follower of Jesus. To say so, I believe, would be to call the Lord a liar and he certainly was not that. Notice I said "perfection as God depicts perfection" That is not perfection as most men see perfection. The difference to me is important.

You portray yourself as a mature Christian and you don't know this?

I don't portray myself as anything more than a disciple of Christ, that is to say, a follower. Only God is accurately able to measure my maturity or lack thereof... and any that He has chosen to share it with...

Do you believe that a Christian can be perfect.?

Yes, I do, but as David presented it to his son, Solomon:

"And thou, Solomon my son, know thou the God of thy father, and serve him with a perfect heart and with a willing mind: for the LORD searcheth all hearts, and understandeth all the imaginations of the thoughts: if thou seek him, he will be found of thee; but if thou forsake him, he will cast thee off for ever." I Chron 28:9

And even some of the people of Israel at times were perfect in their heart:

"Then the people rejoiced, for that they offered willingly, because with perfect heart they offered willingly to the LORD: and David the king also rejoiced with great joy." I Chron 29:9

"For the eyes of the LORD run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to shew himself strong in the behalf of them whose heart is perfect toward him. Herein thou hast done foolishly: therefore from henceforth thou shalt have wars." II Chron 16:9

And as Job was described as "perfect":

"There was a man in the land of Uz, whose name was Job; and that man was perfect and upright, and one that feared God, and eschewed evil." Job 1:1

Sometimes going outside of scripture and the inspiration of the Holy Spirit for definitions can be helpful, but not, I believe, when it comes to understanding what God means:

"For the upright shall dwell in the land, and the perfect shall remain in it." Prov 2:21

Are you perfect?

Consider Job's answer:

"If I justify myself, mine own mouth shall condemn me: if I say, I am perfect, it shall also prove me perverse." Job 9:20
Was St. Paul perfect?

I think he would have been careful to answer as Job answered, but nevertheless he said this...

"For I am now ready to be offered, and the time of my departure is at hand.

I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith:

Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing." II Tim 4:6-8

Is Christ not in you and is he not perfect?

Jesus overcame his little world of flesh where he was tempted in every point as we...

Jesus fought his last real battle not on Calvary, I believe, but in Gethsemene when he prayed to have the "cup" removed [Matt 26:36-42]. Then he was an overcomer prior to his crucifixion as is testified here:

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." John 16:33

We have the Holy Spirit in us so that we also can overcome our own little world as he did. Since we already have a history of sin and sinful ways there is more work to be done in us than was necessary in the man Jesus. We have to kill the old man and the only one up to the task is the new man in us:

"He [the new man] must increase, but I [the old man] must decrease." John 3:30

Are you going to be without sin, 24/7 for the rest of your life.

The question perhaps should be, 'is my heart toward the Lord in a perfect way'? The difference between King Saul and King David was that while both of them sinned, of the two, David had his heart directed toward God. When he became aware that he was guilty in the matter of Uriah and Bathsheba he knew that either of his sins under the Mosaic Law was punishable by death and he fully expected it. King Saul, on the other hand, confronted with sin tried to blame others and to justify himself. David had a perfect heart toward God with what he had in spite of his sin. God forgave David. God rejected Saul.

Eventually as we continue to overcome more and more of the old man of us, if we endure with God to the end of our course we will become also without sin. To deny this is to deny the promise of Jesus.

"... According to your faith be it unto you." Matt 9:29

If we have a negative faith, will not our result be negative? If we believe that we cannot overcome everything that leads us into sin, then is that not a negative faith and is that not the reason that we cannot overcome? It is certainly not because the power of God that was in Jesus was not in us. Isn't it rather because we quench the Holy Spirit with our negative faith?

Here is just a few of many, many verses:
1 John 1:8-10

What exactly is the blood of Jesus that cleanseth us but the Holy Spirit? If we are quenching that Spirit, if we are "limiting" God, what do we expect?

Ecclesiastes 7:20

"For there is not a just man upon earth, that doeth good, and sinneth not."

And so then when Solomon penned those words was he not writing about unredeemed carnal man? Did Jesus come for nothing?

"But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you:." Acts 1:8

Have we not received power to overcome that "old man" that would lead us again to sin?

James 3:20

You must have messed up on your reference. I don't find a James 3:20.

Romans 3:10

"Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin."

Was he not speaking of the literal written law given by God to Moses? Do we suppose that Joshua and Caleb the two adults who had lived in Egypt and were allowed to enter the Promised Land did something more than obey all of the law without fail at all times?

Staff Member
Brother @RJ and @amadeus2

How would you both interpret this couple of verses as it pertains to the topic at hand? In particular 11:40

For the law made nothing perfect, but the bringing in of a better hope [did]; by the which we draw nigh unto God. Hebrews 7:19
For by one offering He has perfected forever those who are being sanctified. Hebrews 10:14
God having provided something better for us, that they should not be made perfect apart from us. Hebrews 11:40

Loyal
Brother @RJ and @amadeus2

How would you both interpret this couple of verses as it pertains to the topic at hand? In particular 11:40

For the law made nothing perfect, but the bringing in of a better hope [did]; by the which we draw nigh unto God. Hebrews 7:19
This is speaking of the written law God gave to Moses. The better Hope is what Jesus brought and what we are supposed to have. David did not have the better Hope, but even so his heart was always toward God and God carried him anyway because David did always love God.

For by one offering He has perfected forever those who are being sanctified.
Hebrews 10:14

This speaks of the one final sacrifice of Jesus that opened the way into Life that had been closed to men since Genesis chapter 3.

God having provided something better for us, that they should not be made perfect apart from us.
Hebrews 11:40

No real lasting "perfection" available to "whosoever will" until God provided the "better thing" by means of the sacrifice of His Son.