• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

“Dead To Sin”

Active
Prior to our rebirth we were “dead in sin” (Eph 2:5); after our rebirth we are “dead to sin” (Rom 6:2), and this by being “dead with Christ” (Rom 6:8; Col 2:20)! “We have been planted together in the likeness of His death” (Rom 6:5), which is displayed during communion of the Bread and the Cup (1Cor 11:26). The keyword to address here is “dead,” for it is the permanent position of all reborn. Our death to sin involves the termination of the “damnation” (Jhn 5:29) and “dominion” of sin (Rom 6:14), but not its presence (Rom 7:17, 20) and effect (Rom 7:15-20). Through comparative-contrasting sin manifests God’s holiness, which can been seen in “the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.” They knew right and wrong by God’s commands (Gen 2:16, 17) but this (in my opinion) does not reveal His holiness as does the manner of “knowing” the contrast between good and evil.

Eventually believers will be without the sin nature but for this life, God continues to use it teach us His holiness and our dependence on Him. Otherwise He would have eradicated the “old man” upon rebirth. I believe the issue with God is not so much the continued presence of sin within Christians nor its effects, but the significance is the “work” He does within them (Phil 2:13), which manifests itself through the good-evil contrast.

In Scripture the Greek word for “flesh” is “sarx” and primarily has two meanings, referencing either the physical body (Definitions l-lll), or the spiritual nature (Definition lV):
(Genesis 1:1 (KJV)). The OT usage of “flesh” always references the physical body, and in the NT usage it mostly references the spiritual nature (old man; sin-source). It’s my understanding that condemnation is not incurred in sinning but in the cause of sinning—the sin nature—because the sinning merely manifests the source. Thus, if one who is not reborn in Christ could possibly live without sinning (which only Christ did), there would yet be the necessity of redemption to avoid condemnation!

Though the sin nature is in the believer, the believer is “not in the sin nature” (flesh – Rom 8:9), meaning not desiring and living after the sin nature. It is never the desire of those reborn to “sin willfully” (Heb 10:26), and this is due to the “work” of the Father (Phil 2:13) and His Spirit (Gal 5:17)—using the “life” of Christ (Col 3:4) and the written Word of God (2Tim 3:16); all only through “faith which operates by love” (Gal 5:6). Sin keeps the believer God-dependent, and the unbeliever self-dependent!

Loyal
Otherwise He would have eradicated the “old man” upon rebirth. I believe the issue with God is not so much the continued presence of sin within Christians nor its effects, but the significance is the “work” He does within them

So in other words, it's God's fault we sin... since He didn't "eradicate" the old man? If we keep sinning like we always have, what is the evidence
of "His work" within us?

This sounds like another "@At Peace" disclaimer.

Active
So in other words, it's God's fault we sin... since He didn't "eradicate" the old man?
I suppose it depends on how we understand God's reason for allowing sin in the beginning. Even prior to creating Satan and mankind He knew sin would be involved and works it out for good. My take is to show and share in His holiness for those He knew would choose to love Him.

If we keep sinning like we always have, what is the evidence of "His work" within us?
This sounds like another "@At Peace" disclaimer.
There's not much to discuss if we aren't aware of the sin nature which continues in the life of the believer. But I believe He allows the sin nature to remain in the believer for the same reason He originally allowed it--to teach us His holiness through knowing good and evil, and so, dependence on Him.

Thanks for your replies BAC and Christ's blessings to you!

Loyal
Rom 8:12 Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh.
Rom 8:13 For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.

Before the new birth we had no choice but to sin, but now we are no longer under it's control, and we have the Spirit to put to death the works of the flesh.

Active
Rom 8:12 Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh.
Rom 8:13 For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.

Before the new birth we had no choice but to sin, but now we are no longer under it's control, and we have the Spirit to put to death the works of the flesh.
Hi Curtis, and thanks for your input! Those who are unbelieving are "dead while they live" (1Tim 5:6). With me I see the issue isn't in the sinning as much as it is concerning the desire to sin (old nature) and not to sin (new nature), because we will continue to sin as long as we're here, and the difference is the our sins are not "willful" (Heb 10:26).

The Cross and the Spirit do not address the presence and affects of the sin nature but that of its "condemnation" (Rom 8:1) and "dominion" (Rom 6:14). The believer never desires to sin and this is what Paul meant by being "captive" to "the law of sin" (Rom 7:23). The unbeliever sins in compliance with the old man (sinful nature), but the believer against the will of the old man--via our new man or new nature--through the Spirit (Gal 5:17).

Therefore dominion means the sin nature succeeding in influencing one to desire its deeds (unbeliever), which is never the situation with the believer!

Christ's blessings!

Loyal
Hi Curtis, and thanks for your input! Those who are unbelieving are "dead while they live" (1Tim 5:6). With me I see the issue isn't in the sinning as much as it is concerning the desire to sin (old nature) and not to sin (new nature), because we will continue to sin as long as we're here, and the difference is the our sins are not "willful" (Heb 10:26).

The Cross and the Spirit do not address the presence and affects of the sin nature but that of its "condemnation" (Rom 8:1) and "dominion" (Rom 6:14). The believer never desires to sin and this is what Paul meant by being "captive" to "the law of sin" (Rom 7:23). The unbeliever sins in compliance with the old man (sinful nature), but the believer against the will of the old man--via our new man or new nature--through the Spirit (Gal 5:17).

Therefore dominion means the sin nature succeeding in influencing one to desire its deeds (unbeliever), which is never the situation with the believer!

Christ's blessings!

Great insight thanks so much for sharing that,