• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Women preaching?

Should human experience have more influence than the Word of God? There are many, many men and women doing all manner of "ministry in the name Jesus" today and why not, it has become very lucrative. Can women be pastors in the man made religious institution that is most typically referred to as "church"? Why should we even care. This thread has become a big, big carnal discussion about human reasoning, experience and upset emotions.

If God asks you to do something for Him, why consult with man before doing it? Why look for man's approval, isn't Jesus' enough? If we need man or the human experience to agree with us then maybe Jesus isn't the one we are doing it for. I remember what God said to a certain guy a long time ago, Genesis17:1, "And when Abram was ninety years old and nine, the Lord appeared to Abram, and said unto him, I am the Almighty God; walk before me, and be thou perfect."

(all bold type is A quote from someone or other, I didn't really keep track of who, but I dodn't think of it at the time when I was copying and pasting)

"And what abt all the powerful prophets of the bible who were female."

"It shall come to pass in the last days sayeth God that I will pour out my Spirit upon all flesh, and youir sons and your daughters shall prophesy......."

I think that It's quite funny that this has been brought up, because I'm not quite sure what on earth this has to do with the teaching and Authority that Paul talks about 1 Tim 2:12 (which is what seems to be the root of all this discussion).

Here's my reason:

' propheteteia, (4394) signifies "the speaking forth of the mind and counsel of God" ' (in Vines', a 1985 publication, has a blue dust cover)

Please note that does not mean the same thing as the words translated as teaching and authority in 1 Tim 2:12 (see my first reply to this thread).

"2 verses which are contridicted."

You have stated that the Bible, inspired by the Holy Spirit,
Contradicts itself. What inspires you to say that?

"In 1 Corinthians 1:11 Paul refers to Choloe's household. He so doing is refering to Choloe as the leader a woman."

"For it has been declared to me concerning you, my bretheren, by those of Chloe's household, that there are contentions amognst you." 1 Cor 1:11

Leader of the household? Leader of the Church at Corinth? A Prophetess? A Widow? Someone who everyone knows? Did Paul forget her husband's name?
Is he trying to be general so whoever it was doesn't get a run-by-stoning from the contentious mob?(Speculating can be so much fun!).

The passage doesn't say, and to say that it does is to read something into it which is not there.

"I am all in favour of womens ministries. Pastoral.....and the rest. In Jesus there is neither male nor female, bond nor free."

"For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus. Far as many of you were baptized into Christ have put on Christ. There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male or female; for are all one in Christ Jesus. And if you are Christ's, then you are Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise." Galations 3:26-29

This passage does not talk about ministries, Or Gifts, About who can and cannot teach.

Someone was talking about context earlier, and I think that context is an Important consideration. For instance, The context of Paul's letter to Timothy is that Paul is more or less telling Timothy "you stay there because there's people who are teaching false doctrine and awful Waffle". The context of the passage from Galations is that Paul is writing to the body of Christ at Galatia, informing them of important doctrine, which in 26-29 is that it doesn't matter what color your skin is, boy or girl how much you have dominion over what you need to do in a day, that in Christ you have the same destination.

It's 2 AM here, and so I think I should wind It up...

Here.

I actually agree with what you are expounding Stephen. Perhaps you can help me here; does Scripture tell us that a Pastor is "Leadership" or a "Servant"?

It appears to me that you may not have read Pawsons "Leadership is Male". David accepts woman as Pastors where a man is proven to be Spiritually ineffective or unwilling.

David is on record as having had a conversation with a Vicar who had heard him preach on this subject. The Vicar asked David why his congregation consisted mostly of old women. David suggested that was because there was, effectively, one in the pulpit.

Think, prayerfully, about that.

Hello Dunkedinfire, Greetings to you in Jesus Name.

I.M.H.O. the bible is clear that the ministry of Pastor, is that of a servant ministry. Today many 'lord' it over God's heritage and think themselves above reproach.

I have not read the book by D. Pawson, I have not seen it. The book title is off putting, to me. I have enjoyed David Pawson's ministry on a number of occasions. He is a good man of God, and a bible student. I appreciate him in Jesus. He has strong views on some teachings biblical. I cannot agree with everything which he teaches. My roots are clearly not in the Brethren fellowship.

The Vicar asked David why his congregation consisted mostly of old women. David suggested that was because there was, effectively, one in the pulpit.
HaHaHa

God Bless You

Hi Stephen, blessings to you also.

I always thought David Pawson was a Methodist - but I could be wrong.

I agree the title of 'Leadership is Maile' can be offputting but I think the old addage applies in this case - 'Never judge a book by its cover'

There's a balance here somewhere. God is the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow. The bible says so. Also, in Isaiah 42:9, the bible says, "See, the former things have taken place, and new things I declare; before they spring into being I announce them to you."

When God told Noah to build the ark, the other people thought he was ridiculous or crazy. But Noah quietly obeyed. Rain, was a "new thing", that God put on the earth.

One thing jiggyfly said really hit me hard, and I agree with him. He said, "Why do you need man's approval? Just obey God." As Nike says, "Just do it!" We don't need, actually to sit and speculate about whether God is calling us or not as females. If He calls, move forward in His direction. Other people are always going to disagree with your direction. They might even think you are ridiculous, like Noah's peers. But, after all, who is it that calls and directs? The Lord God.

Talking about what God has called us to do....does not get the work done and does not bring glory to God. Just doing it...quietly, with our eyes upon the Saviour--that is what brings glory to God almighty, and that is called obedience.

There was never any rain before Noah. No evidence. Sometimes, we see women these days who are doing things that there was no evidence of, in our own time or country. However, if we look in the bible, we do see evidence of women working in the ministry. And there is no refuting that Deborah was a leader, called by God.

If Joyce Meyer is not called by God to teach---then Whom is she receiving power and wisdom from, in doing her work? Should we judge and say that it is the world or even satan's power? Didn't Jesus get awfully riled at some people who claimed that His power to cast out demons was coming from the powers below? So who are we to judge?

I do not know if Alicia Charne is called to preach, teach, or dig a ditch for Jesus. But I think Alicia knows. And, hopefully, she will keep listening to His quiet, still voice, and take the right steps, and obey. We should not discourage her from obeying God.

To caution her, yes. To pray for her, yes. To advise her, yes. To discourage her, no. Her motivations seem to be coming from her love of Christ. So to judge her and slap her on the wrist, to me, denotes that one feels threatened, insecure, or jealous.

And I, like stephen, cannot help but judge a book by it's cover--when it's name is "Leadership is Male". That's a book cover I won't be opening, thanks. Think I'll stick with the bible.

Last edited:
Bless you Dreamer and Stephen - I feel the Fresh newness of the Wind of God blowing where it Will. I truly thank God for you both; I want to breath in the same breath of God that you are breathing.

Please forgive my 'legalism' - my hearts desire is to unite with you for the Glory of God.

:star: You are wonderful and refreshing, as well. If people didn't see things a bit differently, there would be no use discussing these things. Every single person who posted in here taught me something new as I read the posts and thought about them. Many sides of the question were posed, and many answers. We all serve the same God, we are united. One member's an elbow, one person's a foot, one person is a hand. God bless you. :sun: