• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

The Shack - Book and DVD

Staff Member
Just

Just Browsed this board today.
I've not read the book but the DVD is outstanding. Brought me to tears a few times.
Dear BunnyOnion,
The read is outstanding, and goes for the emotions, and with me tears as well, but probably not for the same reasons most would expect! However like Brother Paul has stated, its not Scripturally accurate in many ways.
The copy of the book that I have, has a line across the cover, with the word "WARNING". In case someone who lacks Scriptural knowledge decides to read it after I've gone home to be with the Lord. To give you an idea how powerful it really is to the unlearned/unsaved (not necessarily both), I worked with a young black woman who was Lesbian, who read the book, and said "I can see myself carry this book around like a bible its so good!". Sadly, this is woman who believes there is a God, and that there is a Jesus, but can't take the next step due to her sexual leanings, which she knows is wrong according to the Bible.

On the Movie, I saw the advertisement of the DVD when it came out, but after reading the book I realized that the content wasn't going to be much better as far as accuracy to Scripture goes. So I've not watched it. Plus, I'd drive my wife crazy if we were to watch it together, because I won't be able to stop myself from pointing out the inaccuracies! :) I've done this in the past and it upsets her to no end! I've done that in the past, and it doesn't make for a happy evening in the Nick household!

Anyway, read the book if you want to, but take it with a grain of salt, or use it as a practice to see if you can tell the inaccuracies to what you find in Scripture. Doing that might take a bit of the enjoyment out of the read, but truth be told, I'd rather it never was written or was less attractive to those reading it then it has been. I believe I mentioned this Scripture in one of my posts above, but it is one that should be repeated in light of the subject of the Shack, 2 Timothy 4:3-4 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine, but according to their own desires, [because] they have itching ears, they will heap up for themselves teachers; and they will turn [their] ears away from the truth, and be turned aside to fables.

With the Love of Christ Jesus.
YBIC
Nick
\o/
<><

Active
Dear BunnyOnion,
The read is outstanding, and goes for the emotions, and with me tears as well, but probably not for the same reasons most would expect! However like Brother Paul has stated, its not Scripturally accurate in many ways.
The copy of the book that I have, has a line across the cover, with the word "WARNING". In case someone who lacks Scriptural knowledge decides to read it after I've gone home to be with the Lord. To give you an idea how powerful it really is to the unlearned/unsaved (not necessarily both), I worked with a young black woman who was Lesbian, who read the book, and said "I can see myself carry this book around like a bible its so good!". Sadly, this is woman who believes there is a God, and that there is a Jesus, but can't take the next step due to her sexual leanings, which she knows is wrong according to the Bible.

On the Movie, I saw the advertisement of the DVD when it came out, but after reading the book I realized that the content wasn't going to be much better as far as accuracy to Scripture goes. So I've not watched it. Plus, I'd drive my wife crazy if we were to watch it together, because I won't be able to stop myself from pointing out the inaccuracies! :) I've done this in the past and it upsets her to no end! I've done that in the past, and it doesn't make for a happy evening in the Nick household!

Anyway, read the book if you want to, but take it with a grain of salt, or use it as a practice to see if you can tell the inaccuracies to what you find in Scripture. Doing that might take a bit of the enjoyment out of the read, but truth be told, I'd rather it never was written or was less attractive to those reading it then it has been. I believe I mentioned this Scripture in one of my posts above, but it is one that should be repeated in light of the subject of the Shack, 2 Timothy 4:3-4 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine, but according to their own desires, [because] they have itching ears, they will heap up for themselves teachers; and they will turn [their] ears away from the truth, and be turned aside to fables.

YBIC
Nick
\o/
<><
I don't believe anyone should carry The Shack book as a Bible.
I also don't believe the Lesbian you referred to is unknown to God.

Have you read Conversations With God? The first book, as I have not read the sequel books.
Great book.

I found CwG at a bookstore when it was a new release. It was so compelling I sat down in the store, a Barnes and Noble where that kind of thi g was encouraged, and read the first four chapters on my lunch hour.

Afterward I told my workmates about the book.
I was going to buy my own copy next paycheck.
The next day my JW manager gifted me the book.
Because though he was a Jehovah Witness he'd read
the book long before I did.

Here's my point. Though it may not be well put.

God speaks to us beyond just the Bible. As he's told us.
Because the Bible was at the hands of man for centuries, I believe God speaks to us on a personal level being we are indwelt by Holy Spirit.

If The Shack leads someone to find God, amen. Same with CwG and other books.

It's a relationship.

Loyal

It's a relationship.

1Cor 6:9; Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals,
1Cor 6:10; nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers, will inherit the kingdom of God.

If you're living a sinful lifestyle, you don't have a relationship with Jesus.
That's homosexuality, adultery, fornication, or any other sin-lifestyle.

1Jn 2:4; The one who says, "I have come to know Him," and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him;

Last edited:
Active
1Cor 6:9; Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals,
1Cor 6:10; nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers, will inherit the kingdom of God.

If you're living a sinful lifestyle, you don't have a relationship with Jesus.
That's homosexuality, adultery, fornication, or any other sin-lifestyle.
Ever been buzzed?
Ever looked at a car, a house, or other material object, and wish you had one just like it?
Ever told a lie about someone of passed on a bit of gossip?
Ever disrespected your parents,cussed, ever had premarital sex? Ever kept the money when a merchant gave you more change than you were owed from a purchase, or charged you less than the true price and you said nothing to correct it? Ever spoken to someone abusively or contemptuously ?

Loyal
Ever been buzzed?

No

Ever looked at a car, a house, or other material object, and wish you had one just like it?

There was a time, but I'm pretty content with what I have right now.

Ever told a lie about someone of passed on a bit of gossip?

Not in years and years.

Ever disrespected your parents,cussed, ever had premarital sex? Ever kept the money when a merchant gave you more change than you were owed from a purchase, or charged you less than the true price and you said nothing to correct it? Ever spoken to someone abusively or contemptuously ?

I had premarital sex before I was a Christian. I've probably done all these things before I was a Christian.
There is a difference between stumbling and living in sin.

I'm not perfect. I may think a thought every now and then. But I don't plan on doing these things.
If I'm in an adulterous, fornication, homosexual relationship, I did it yesterday, and I know I'll do it again tomorrow.. and the next day.. and the next.

Heb 10:26; For if we go on sinning willfully after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins,
Heb 10:27; but a terrifying expectation of judgment and THE FURY OF A FIRE WHICH WILL CONSUME THE ADVERSARIES.

But no, I don't do these things every day, or even every week, and if I do, do them. I try to repent and not do it again.

Active
No

There was a time, but I'm pretty content with what I have right now.

Not in years and years.

I had premarital sex before I was a Christian. I've probably done all these things before I was a Christian.
There is a difference between stumbling and living in sin.

I'm not perfect. I may think a thought every now and then. But I don't plan on doing these things.
If I'm in an adulterous, fornication, homosexual relationship, I did it yesterday, and I know I'll do it again tomorrow.. and the next day.. and the next.

Heb 10:26; For if we go on sinning willfully after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins,
Heb 10:27; but a terrifying expectation of judgment and THE FURY OF A FIRE WHICH WILL CONSUME THE ADVERSARIES.

But no, I don't do these things every day, or even every week, and if I do, do them. I try to repent and not do it again.
Yet 1 Corinthians 6 does not equivocate. It says if anyone does those things listed they shall not see the kingdom of heaven.

Did you read further in that chapter? Remembering that list and that Saul, a Pharisee, knew there were 613 laws of God.

12 All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any.

1 John 3:4
Sin is lawlessness.

Staff Member

Have you read Conversations With God? The first book, as I have not read the sequel books.
Great book.

I found CwG at a bookstore when it was a new release. It was so compelling I sat down in the store, a Barnes and Noble where that kind of thi g was encouraged, and read the first four chapters on my lunch hour.

Here's my point. Though it may not be well put.

God speaks to us beyond just the Bible. As he's told us.
Because the Bible was at the hands of man for centuries, I believe God speaks to us on a personal level being we are indwelt by Holy Spirit.

If The Shack leads someone to find God, amen. Same with CwG and other books.

It's a relationship.
Dear BunnyOnion,
Who are we to tell God what He will use to bring someone to Jesus/Him? Believe it or not I understand where you're coming from. It's similar to the Apostle Paul when he was talking to the Greeks (Athens) about the unknown God in Acts 17 and used their own belief to introduce them to Jesus.

Do you think the author of the Shack is doing that? What I and others have seen is that the author is introducing the reader to a god, but not the one found in the Bible. I state this, because yes He is a God of Love, but He is also a Just God. There are attributes that to man is not compatible to a loving god. However, that is not the God we want, or that we find when reading Scripture. Now it might appear that He is, were we to talk about the God of the OT & NT as if they are two different ones or that somehow He has changed. Yet, we know that is not the case. Our God doesn't change! I'm sure you can find Scripture to that affect.

Sadly, there are many bad theologies that are hidden in the guise of wanting people to be drawn to a belief that is just not consistent with what He says about Himself. That is a problem! It doesn't mean that we are to look at Him as some type of monster as many people do who read the OT, because with equal certainty he wipes out people, and draws others to Him in Christ as shown in the NT. It's natural to like one side of the coin that is loving, caring, while wanting to believe that the other side of the coin that says Justice, Judgment doesn't exist. That is the type of theology you find in this book.

I hope that I'm not upsetting you with this, because the Book and I'm sure the Movie can be quite moving, and touches one in places that few other worldly things do. Just like the woman I worked with. You can be entertained by these things, but don't put them above the Word of God, because if you do, you'll be allowing yourself to believe a lie written by men, in place of what God wants you to know through the Inspired Word of God called the Bible. I'll end this with a final thought on you saying about the lesbian woman I worked with and how God knows her as well as God as well as speaking to us outside the Bible.

That is so true, as He knows all of us. He also knows who will reject His Son/Him as well. Whatever, justification a person may use in doing so, our God will Judge accordingly. As Scripture says, "And as it is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgment,". He will also speak to us outside the Bible, but what He won't do is contradict what is found in the Bible, which is a sure fired way to know that its not from Him. Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits, whether they are of God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world.

I hope and pray all the best for you. For together we are a part of the Body of Christ, in whom we have Victory, and have so much more to look forward to then what this World has to offer! But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him. 1 Corinthians 2:9 KJV Alleluia!

YBIC
Nick
\o/
<><

Loyal
Plus, I'd drive my wife crazy if we were to watch it together, because I won't be able to stop myself from pointing out the inaccuracies!

That's me too brother. ;)

My wife would say, you can't give it a rest can you.

I have three things I consider important to me...

1 - If what someone says they believe is wrong, tell them in love (even if they reject what you say or say that is your view. Make it clear whose view it is from God's Word)

2 - Never quote scripture unless you are certain is is The Truth from The Word.

3 - Be open to what others say when they quote scripture, consider it against other scriptures and admit if you misunderstood something. Always keep an open mind the Holy Spirit will reveal something you never saw before.

Loyal

Great book.

Dear @BunnyOnion

I do find it amazing how many people read other books about the Bible, rather than reading the Bible to understand the good, evil, or untruths in other books.

Prov 3:5-7

Loyal
Ever been buzzed

Only when my mobile goes off :joy:

Not in the way you mentioned to @B-A-C

Anyone who gets a buzz about material things can be sure the devil is at work.

Temptation to spend
Temptation to buy what you don't really need
Temptation to flirt
Temptation to go further
Temptation to steal
Temptation to covet

That is just a few, you can probably add more. There is a buzz about these things, I have fallen for many, they all carry one word in common 'SIN'

Scripture says, when I was a child I did childish things, but now I am older... you know the rest.

It is also true to say, when I was a lost soul, I did what lost souls do, but now I am in Christ and Christ in me, I may still sin but am not a sinner, I do what the Lord wants me to do, I practice Righteousness.

You know what, I no longer get that old buzz.

Bless you

Loyal
Did you read further in that chapter? Remembering that list and that Saul, a Pharisee, knew there were 613 laws of God.

And if you read further past that?

1Cor 6:13; Food is for the stomach and the stomach is for food, but God will do away with both of them. Yet the body is not for immorality, but for the Lord, and the Lord is for the body.
1Cor 6:14; Now God has not only raised the Lord, but will also raise us up through His power.
1Cor 6:15; Do you not know that your bodies are members of Christ? Shall I then take away the members of Christ and make them members of a prostitute? May it never be!
1Cor 6:16; Or do you not know that the one who joins himself to a prostitute is one body with her? For He says, "THE TWO SHALL BECOME ONE FLESH."
1Cor 6:17; But the one who joins himself to the Lord is one spirit with Him.
1Cor 6:18; Flee immorality. Every other sin that a man commits is outside the body, but the immoral man sins against his own body.
1Cor 6:19; Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and that you are not your own?
1Cor 6:20; For you have been bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body.

Paul separates the ceremonials laws from the commandments.

1Cor 7:19; Circumcision is nothing, and uncircumcision is nothing, but what matters is the keeping of the commandments of God.

Active
Dear @BunnyOnion

I do find it amazing how many people read other books about the Bible, rather than reading the Bible to understand the good, evil, or untruths in other books.

Prov 3:5-7
I would recommend to not judge people by your opinion and lifestyle.
It's wrong to think because people find revelation and inspiration in books and even DVD productions, this means they don't or have not read the Bible.

Active
Only when my mobile goes off :joy:

Not in the way you mentioned to @B-A-C

Anyone who gets a buzz about material things can be sure the devil is at work.

Temptation to spend
Temptation to buy what you don't really need
Temptation to flirt
Temptation to go further
Temptation to steal
Temptation to covet

That is just a few, you can probably add more. There is a buzz about these things, I have fallen for many, they all carry one word in common 'SIN'

Scripture says, when I was a child I did childish things, but now I am older... you know the rest.

It is also true to say, when I was a lost soul, I did what lost souls do, but now I am in Christ and Christ in me, I may still sin but am not a sinner, I do what the Lord wants me to do, I practice Righteousness.

You know what, I no longer get that old buzz.

Bless you
The point was that list in the scripture refers to those acts being done. Not once and then repented of and then later repeated.
That list means and refers to a one time act is what insures the perpetrator will not see the kingdom of heaven.

However, one part of that chapter that seems to be overlooked, after those warnings about acts that preclude our entering heaven, is where Saul states all things, which would include those acts previously listed, are lawful into him.

12 All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any.

So, who is he actually warning against sins that will preclude entry into heaven? When Saul is telling us he is able to do anything he wants and not suffer the same fate?

That's what he's stating when he says all things are lawful unto him, when sin
is anything that is contrary to the law or will of God.

Active
And if you read further past that?

1Cor 6:13; Food is for the stomach and the stomach is for food, but God will do away with both of them. Yet the body is not for immorality, but for the Lord, and the Lord is for the body.
1Cor 6:14; Now God has not only raised the Lord, but will also raise us up through His power.
1Cor 6:15; Do you not know that your bodies are members of Christ? Shall I then take away the members of Christ and make them members of a prostitute? May it never be!
1Cor 6:16; Or do you not know that the one who joins himself to a prostitute is one body with her? For He says, "THE TWO SHALL BECOME ONE FLESH."
1Cor 6:17; But the one who joins himself to the Lord is one spirit with Him.
1Cor 6:18; Flee immorality. Every other sin that a man commits is outside the body, but the immoral man sins against his own body.
1Cor 6:19; Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and that you are not your own?
1Cor 6:20; For you have been bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body.

Paul separates the ceremonials laws from the commandments.

1Cor 7:19; Circumcision is nothing, and uncircumcision is nothing, but what matters is the keeping of the commandments of God.
Not when Saul stated all things are lawful into him.
And all things are lawful for him.

Stating those facts, affirming those things, makes contrary to those proclamations affirming all things are lawful, any later claim for conservative behaviors for fear of breaking the laws Saul first said allow all things.

Loyal
I would recommend to not judge people by your opinion and lifestyle.
It's wrong to think because people find revelation and inspiration in books and even DVD productions, this means they don't or have not read the Bible.

You may find inspiration in some books, but does it line up with The Word of God.

If you don't read God's Word and take it in how can you know what you are reading is right?

The comment is one of genuine concern, not as you seem to take it as judging.

Active
Has anyone Read the book 'The Shack'?

And/or watched the DVD?

The DVD is based on the International Best Seller book 'The Shack' by William Paul Young

It is a truly amazing story of a Christian family when life was turned upside down by unexpected issues and how God helped and led them through them to eventually find peace.

I don't want to say any more at this stage other than I highly recommend the book, the reason for the post is to ask who has read it or watched the DVD.

Those who have read the book or seen the film, please do not disclose the ending.

Blessings

I never read the book, hut the movie is really good. I cried quite a bit of it

Loyal
The point was that list in the scripture refers to those acts being done. Not once and then repented of and then later repeated.
That list means and refers to a one time act is what insures the perpetrator will not see the kingdom of heaven.

However, one part of that chapter that seems to be overlooked, after those warnings about acts that preclude our entering heaven, is where Saul states all things, which would include those acts previously listed, are lawful into him.

So, who is he actually warning against sins that will preclude entry into heaven? When Saul is telling us he is able to do anything he wants and not suffer the same fate?

That's what he's stating when he says all things are lawful unto him, when sin
is anything that is contrary to the law or will of God.

When you say, one part of the chapter that seems to be overlooked, overlooked where?

This verse is a fulcrum in the chapter, a pivot point, and uses a clever play on words by Paul. I would say this verse is probably not overlooked but more like, mis-understood.

This comment, appears four times in Paul's epistle, 1Cor 6:12 twice and 1Cor 10:23 twice. It is therefore worth reading each in context.

The statement Paul makes is important to understand, and came about by wrong thinking by the Corinthian believers, or shall I better say, using a verse in scripture to make it fit what a person wants to believe, that happens even today, and many times on this forum.

So what was Paul saying, what was he trying to get over, could he not say it in a more simple way, probably, but Paul was Paul and he said things a certain way for a good reason.

Free thinking, which many take from this verse is like free speech, oh dear touched on something here. Free thinking by the Corinthians of the day, was taken to mean free to think and do what ever they wish, all things are lawful unto me, all things are lawful for me, therefore they took it to mean, all things are permissible to me. Was that what Paul was saying, not at all. But the Corinthians seemed to apply all things, to everything, including sexually immoral acts.

May be Paul had used the statement when he preached to them about their freedom in Christ, but they had wrongly interpreted it, we do not know. By “freedom in Christ,” Paul never meant disregarding basic Christian morality and ethics. Some Christians in Corinth apparently were using this to excuse their sins, saying Christ had taken away all sin, so they had complete freedom to live as they pleased; or what they were doing was not strictly forbidden by Scripture.

Christ has taken away the sin of a born again soul, he/she is set free from sin and guilt of those sins. Being set free in this way does not mean that everything is beneficial and that believers can do what they know is wrong. Scripture forbids many sins, NT 1Cor 6:9-10, that were prohibited in the OT, Rom 12:9-21 and Rom 13:8-10, but it is true to say not all sins are listed in scripture. It is also true to say, many items are not sin in themselves, but in excess can be sin, also items may not be sin but can become an addiction and cause us to sin.

Christians have freedom, but our freedom is under Christ, in Christ who saved us and set us free. We no longer belong to the world and should not, must not do the things the world does. We are as born again from above souls, set free for a reason, that is to share the Gospel, in love, according to The Word, The Truth in The Word.

Paul teaches in Gal. 5:13,
For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another.

At this stage I felt prompted to look deeper.

From Word studies in the New Testament

Are lawful (ἔξεστιν).
There is a play between this word and ἐξουσιασθήσομαι be brought under the power, which can hardly be accurately conveyed to the English reader.
The nearest approach to it is: “all things are in my power, but I shall not be brought under the power of any.”

Will—be brought under the power (ἐξουσιασθήσομαι).
From ἐξουσία power of choice, permissive authority.
See on Mark 2:10. This in turn is derived from ἔξεστι it is permitted. See above on are lawful. This kinship of the two words explains the play upon them.

From the following

Everything is permissible’ (CSB), not everything is beneficial.

1Cor 6:12
All things are lawful to ME—Paul giving himself as a sample of Christians in general.

but I Paul—whatever others do, I will not.

LAWFUL… brought under the power
The Greek words are from the same root, whence there is a play on the words:
All things are in my power, but I will not be brought under the power of any of them (the “all things”).
He who commits “fornication,” steps aside from his own legitimate power or liberty, and is “brought under the power” of an harlot (1 Co 6:15; compare 1 Co 7:4).
The “power” ought to be in the hands of the believer, not in the things which he uses [BENGEL]; else his liberty is forfeited; he ceases to be his own master (Jn 8:34–36; Ga 5:13; 1 Pe 2:16; 2 Pe 2:19). Unlawful things ruin thousands; “lawful” things (unlawfully used), ten thousands.

Loyal
I never read the book, hut the movie is really good. I cried quite a bit of it

Greetings Mayflower

The film is good, well thought out, well put together, good finish. But it does what films aim to do, hit our emotions, many have cried at the film, some cry afterwards.

I always believe, whether it is something someone said, a film, or even a sermon, reflect on it afterwards, so often things are not what they seemed at the time.

Active
When you say, one part of the chapter that seems to be overlooked, overlooked where?

This verse is a fulcrum in the chapter, a pivot point, and uses a clever play on words by Paul. I would say this verse is probably not overlooked but more like, mis-understood.

This comment, appears four times in Paul's epistle, 1Cor 6:12 twice and 1Cor 10:23 twice. It is therefore worth reading each in context.

The statement Paul makes is important to understand, and came about by wrong thinking by the Corinthian believers, or shall I better say, using a verse in scripture to make it fit what a person wants to believe, that happens even today, and many times on this forum.

So what was Paul saying, what was he trying to get over, could he not say it in a more simple way, probably, but Paul was Paul and he said things a certain way for a good reason.

Free thinking, which many take from this verse is like free speech, oh dear touched on something here. Free thinking by the Corinthians of the day, was taken to mean free to think and do what ever they wish, all things are lawful unto me, all things are lawful for me, therefore they took it to mean, all things are permissible to me. Was that what Paul was saying, not at all. But the Corinthians seemed to apply all things, to everything, including sexually immoral acts.

May be Paul had used the statement when he preached to them about their freedom in Christ, but they had wrongly interpreted it, we do not know. By “freedom in Christ,” Paul never meant disregarding basic Christian morality and ethics. Some Christians in Corinth apparently were using this to excuse their sins, saying Christ had taken away all sin, so they had complete freedom to live as they pleased; or what they were doing was not strictly forbidden by Scripture.

Christ has taken away the sin of a born again soul, he/she is set free from sin and guilt of those sins. Being set free in this way does not mean that everything is beneficial and that believers can do what they know is wrong. Scripture forbids many sins, NT 1Cor 6:9-10, that were prohibited in the OT, Rom 12:9-21 and Rom 13:8-10, but it is true to say not all sins are listed in scripture. It is also true to say, many items are not sin in themselves, but in excess can be sin, also items may not be sin but can become an addiction and cause us to sin.

Christians have freedom, but our freedom is under Christ, in Christ who saved us and set us free. We no longer belong to the world and should not, must not do the things the world does. We are as born again from above souls, set free for a reason, that is to share the Gospel, in love, according to The Word, The Truth in The Word.

Paul teaches in Gal. 5:13,
For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another.

At this stage I felt prompted to look deeper.

From Word studies in the New Testament

Are lawful (ἔξεστιν).
There is a play between this word and ἐξουσιασθήσομαι be brought under the power, which can hardly be accurately conveyed to the English reader.
The nearest approach to it is: “all things are in my power, but I shall not be brought under the power of any.”

Will—be brought under the power (ἐξουσιασθήσομαι).
From ἐξουσία power of choice, permissive authority.
See on Mark 2:10. This in turn is derived from ἔξεστι it is permitted. See above on are lawful. This kinship of the two words explains the play upon them.

From the following

1Cor 6:12
All things are lawful to ME—Paul giving himself as a sample of Christians in general.

but I Paul—whatever others do, I will not.

LAWFUL… brought under the power
The Greek words are from the same root, whence there is a play on the words:
All things are in my power, but I will not be brought under the power of any of them (the “all things”).
He who commits “fornication,” steps aside from his own legitimate power or liberty, and is “brought under the power” of an harlot (1 Co 6:15; compare 1 Co 7:4).
The “power” ought to be in the hands of the believer, not in the things which he uses [BENGEL]; else his liberty is forfeited; he ceases to be his own master (Jn 8:34–36; Ga 5:13; 1 Pe 2:16; 2 Pe 2:19). Unlawful things ruin thousands; “lawful” things (unlawfully used), ten thousands.

Yet Saul says the same words in 1 Corinthians 10: 23.“All things are lawful”? But not all things are beneficial; “All things are lawful”? But not all things edify [6:12].