1. Featured Thread

The Helmet of Salvation

Depressed? Hopeless? Filled with self-pity? Learn how to overcome these problems. Understand the mind is the battlefield for all spiritual warfare. Hear Derek explain the nature of “hope” and how an “optimistic attitude that always sees the best, will not give way to depression and doubt and self-pity.”

View This Bible Study

2. Featured Thread

Parables of Jesus

Jesus' parables are short stories that teach a moral or spiritual lesson by analogy or similarity. They are often stories based on the agricultural life that was intimately familiar to His original first century audience.

Some aspect of an unfamiliar concept, such as the kingdom of God, was compared to something from everyday life that could easily be understood.

View The Parables

3. Featured Thread

There is a lot of noise, lots of "religions" and beliefs out there to confuse anyone. But, Jesus is real. He loves you, He's ready to forgive you for all your sins and make your heart His dwelling place. Read about God's characteristics and attributes and get to know the real Jesus today.

How do I accept Jesus as my Savior?
    How To Be Friends With God
    Why believe in Christianity?
    The Attributes of God

View the Seeking Jesus forum

Shouting in Church

Discussion in 'Bible Chat' started by Cody, Mar 18, 2007.

Share This Page

Random Thread
  1. Cody

Expand Collapse

I was talking to my friend the other day at school. We are both Baptist but our churches do things differently. In his church, they dont shout or anything, but in my church people shout and all of that. He told me that shouting can take away the attention from God and gives more attention to that person, and sometimes disrupts the service. He thinks that church should be orderly and everyone should be quiet. I believe that when someone shouts that glorfies God rather than taking attention away from him. I also think when the Holy Spirit comes on you, you cant help but to shout, raise your hand or etc.

What is everyones thoughts on this? and is there any scriptural answers for this?

2. Chad

Administrator
    Staff Member
    Expand Collapse

I witnessed that at my church. While I do not wish to judge the middle aged women who was an usher or some sort, she was very loud during service and it was [to me] extremely annoying. How do you approach a person like that without being rude? I really do not know. I know one thing, it can be very annoying!

Its one thing to praise GOD and shout TO GOD during your worship, its another thing one someone shouts, especially during sermons annoyingly.

3. Cody

Expand Collapse

Yeah, I agree. I believe it can get out of hand sometimes. At my church people usually shout during the singing and not so much during the preaching. People give amens and all of that during the preaching. Although there has been times when someone was preaching and someone shouted but it doesnt last for a great deal of time so it never interupts the preacher. It may startle some of the people that arent use to it though. :p lol

4. SpiritLedEd

Expand Collapse

The Holy Spirit does not bring disorder. The leadership of that congregation needs to set forth some rules as to when shouting is allowed and when it is not. We have some people in my church who often shout during worship and we encourage that because they are worshipping God with all their heart. I know this to be true because I'm one of them.

But we rarely get loudly vocal at any other time in the service because we have great respect for our pastors and for each other, and we truly love the Lord.

"But everything should be done in a fitting and orderly way." (1 Cor 14:40)

SLE

5. monkeys

Expand Collapse

Well..at the church I am currently attending, people do not shout, at all.

But, I have gone to churches when they have. Like SLE said, it was during worship. And like you said Cody, they would say Amen or Halleuja when the Pastor was preaching.

Personally, I think that shouting during the service would take away with what God has to tell us through the Pastor. If can be distracting and even annoying like Chad said.

6. Janette

Expand Collapse

Confirm the source.

Now and then there's someone who seems more disruptive than ecstatic. These people make me wonder -- because the source of their jubilation is supposed to be the Holy Spirit -- and as the Holy Spirit is with God, and of God, and GOD -- I cannot imagine any disruption being caused by It.

Keeping that in mind, confirm the source of the situation:

Silently say a prayer similar to the following:

Holy Spirit of God -- this is a chruch in which I feel Your presence. If this man/woman is being guided by You to proclaim Your glory, then please forgive me for my jealous distraction. However, I feel I am sensing something else at work, and if that is the case, please block that other power for my sake, lest the peace of this place be lost or defiled.

In some cases, nothing will happen except that you'll seem to feel better about their jubiliation ... but it is equally possible that the person making the disruption will hush up in a hurry.

---

Never forget, God sends His people even to places of ill repute to minister to the lost. Where do you think the devil sends his people?

7. zionsdeciple

Expand Collapse

Im normally not a side taker but i support u on that I have always attended churches where people shout, and today I had a really good experience with the presence of god and its true that when the spirit falls upon you, theres really nothing you can do, I love to know that the lord blesses me to even be in his presence.