• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Odinism to Christianity

Ok, I made this thread to learn more about Christianity. I am reading the Bible on my own but, I'm going to have questions so I hope to post them here. Hopefully, since you guys know more about your religion than I do, you can help me relate your beliefs to mine to make this easier to understand and, in the end, easier to give up my own beliefs for yours. I want you all to understand that I'm not Odinist simply because one day I just chose to be. My beliefs are all I have left of my biological parents save for a picture and a necklace. This isn't going to happen over night but, I have to start somewhere.
I will post questions as they come to me and, if any of you have any, I would be happy to answer any question you may have on my beliefs.

Anyways, I had my first church service in a while last sunday and I attended the youth program. To be honest, it was the most fun I've had in a long time. I still have questions about the lesson we covered though. The less was about things that teens go through everyday and how we had to act in each situation in a way that would make God happy. Well, since I'm not Christian, I'm not real sure how to act in those situations. So, here are my questions...

1. If someone you like is in a relationship that you know is abusive is it ok to break it up or to tell someone?
2. If the parents of the person you want to date doesn't like you then is it ok to date anyways?
3. Is it a sin to drink if you're underage?
4. Is drinking a sin or is getting drunk a sin?
5. Why do some people get high or drunk a lot and do bad things but, think it's ok just because they can ask God for forgiveness later?
6. Is a Christian who is saved but, does things that they know is a sin anyways able to justly call someone who isn't saved but, doesn't do bad things evil or bad?
7. Can anyone help someone get saved?

1. If someone you like is in a relationship that you know is abusive is it ok to break it up or to tell someone?
It is always okay to "break up" or tell someone about abuse. This is never God's plan for your life.

2. If the parents of the person you want to date doesn't like you then is it ok to date anyways?
This is simply a matter of personal conviction my friend.
3. Is it a sin to drink if you're underage?
If it is against the law (and it is) then of course God does not want you breaking the law.
4. Is drinking a sin or is getting drunk a sin?
Getting drunk is against the teachings of scripture. Drinking may be okay for some but if you feel it is wrong and do it anyway then you are sinning against your conscience. Since alcohol is nothing more then the urine excreted by certain types of yeast (which are a type of fungi) I do not see the attraction. Also if one drinks and that causes another to do the same it may cause them to stumble if they are predisposed to alchohol problems. The Bible says it best- "obstain even from the appearance of evil".
5. Why do some people get high or drunk a lot and do bad things but, think it's ok just because they can ask God for forgiveness later?
It is never okay. Sin may be forgiven but always has consequences. Nan example might be if one drinks and drives killing another that one may may be forgiven but the other person is still dead. There are always consequences for sin and we do not treat lightly the terrible price Jesus paid (out of His great love) to cleanse us form sin.
6. Is a Christian who is saved but, does things that they know is a sin anyways able to justly call someone who isn't saved but, doesn't do bad things evil or bad?
Calling names is never cool. There are simply a lot of immature Christians out there. Like most babies they generally do not mean harm but do a lot of crying and make a stinky mess. One who is mature in Christ with speak the truth in love.
7. Can anyone help someone get saved?
Yes. The body of Christ has been given the great commission by Jesus Himself. They are to spread the Gospel (Good News) .

Let us look at the ABC of God's love letter (the bible) to us :

A: all
Rom 3:23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

B: Believe
Act 16:31 And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.

C: Confess
Rom 10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
Rom 10:10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

My friend if you want to know God then pray this prayer:
Dear Lord Jesus, I know I have sinned and fallen short of God's Holy standard. I recognize that sin can never stand in the presence of a Holy God. Thank You for dying on the cross for my sin, I accept Your sacrifice as my own. I now choose to leave my old life behind, be my Lord and Savior.

If you prayed this then you have opened the door to Jesus and He will come into your life. He will give you a new spirit and your will begin to change form the inside out.
Keep going to churhc, rading the Bible, pray- talk to God and learn to worship Him.
Your life will never be the same.

Alright, I understand your answers. I wasn't sure about them because of the situation I'm in here. The only reason I drink is because my father offers it to me so I wasn't sure if it was bad or not.

I asked about the relationship problem because I wansn't sure if someone should have the right to do something about that or not.

The more I learn about how I should act as a Christian the easier it will be to accept this. Because, honestly, I'm not sure if I'm able to give up all that I am and all that I know just yet. Please bear with me though, I've learned a lot so far.

Honestly, you need to spend more time with Jesus. The closer we draw the more we see of Him. The more we see of Him the more we love Him and want to please Him. As we enter into His presence we are daily changed and transformed. Christianity is not a religion of rules and do nots but it is a living relationship with God Himself.
Spend that time with Him and you will yourself changing form the inside out. Your wants, desires and yearnings will change completely as you grow deeper in an intimate relationship with the One who loves you most.
Truthfully, the things that used to pull the hardest on my flesh pale in comparison with the beauty of the ultimate treasure which is our Lord God.

Gen 15:1 After these things the word of the LORD came unto Abram in a vision, saying, Fear not, Abram: I am thy shield, and thy exceeding great reward.

But, I don't know if I am able to give up what I have for something I don't understand or trust yet. I'm not trying to be aggressive, I'm just saying I'm not sure about this yet.

Today, I read the book of Joshua and learned about God and how he leads his people. I also learned about what happened when you don't follow his command. I do have one question about it though.

1. Would God take his wrath out on someone else if you disobey him?

Active

RJ

But, I don't know if I am able to give up what I have for something I don't understand or trust yet. I'm not trying to be aggressive, I'm just saying I'm not sure about this yet.

Today, I read the book of Joshua and learned about God and how he leads his people. I also learned about what happened when you don't follow his command. I do have one question about it though.

<link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CUsers%5CJoe%5CAppData%5CLocal%5CTemp%5Cmsohtmlclip1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><link rel="themeData" href="file:///C:%5CUsers%5CJoe%5CAppData%5CLocal%5CTemp%5Cmsohtmlclip1%5C01%5Cclip_themedata.thmx"><link rel="colorSchemeMapping" href="file:///C:%5CUsers%5CJoe%5CAppData%5CLocal%5CTemp%5Cmsohtmlclip1%5C01%5Cclip_colorschememapping.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:TrackMoves/> <w:TrackFormatting/> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:DoNotPromoteQF/> <w:LidThemeOther>EN-US</w:LidThemeOther> <w:LidThemeAsian>X-NONE</w:LidThemeAsian> <w:LidThemeComplexScript>X-NONE</w:LidThemeComplexScript> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> <w:SplitPgBreakAndParaMark/> <w:DontVertAlignCellWithSp/> <w:DontBreakConstrainedForcedTables/> <w:DontVertAlignInTxbx/> <w:Word11KerningPairs/> <w:CachedColBalance/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> <m:mathPr> <m:mathFont m:val="Cambria Math"/> <m:brkBin m:val="before"/> <m:brkBinSub m:val="--"/> <m:smallFrac m:val="off"/> <m:dispDef/> <m:lMargin m:val="0"/> <m:rMargin m:val="0"/> <m:defJc m:val="centerGroup"/> <m:wrapIndent m:val="1440"/> <m:intLim m:val="subSup"/> <m:naryLim m:val="undOvr"/> </m:mathPr></w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" DefUnhideWhenUsed="true" DefSemiHidden="true" DefQFormat="false" DefPriority="99" LatentStyleCount="267"> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="0" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Normal"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="heading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="35" QFormat="true" Name="caption"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="10" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" Name="Default Paragraph Font"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="11" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtitle"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="22" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Strong"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="20" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="59" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Table Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Placeholder Text"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="No Spacing"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Revision"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="34" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="List Paragraph"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="29" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="30" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="19" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="21" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="31" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="32" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="33" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Book Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="37" Name="Bibliography"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" QFormat="true" Name="TOC Heading"/> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Cambria Math"; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1610611985 1107304683 0 0 415 0;} @font-face {font-family:Calibri; panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-520092929 1073786111 9 0 415 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} @page WordSection1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.WordSection1 {page:WordSection1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} </style> <![endif]--> Hi, Alumentum
<o:p> </o:p>
Interesting questions you have and all valid for someone searching for truth.
I am certainly not here to tell you how to learn about God. You are on a journey now and I know God is fully in control. Whether you understand anything about him yet, please ask Him for guidance anyway and be patient with your results, His timing is a bit complex and often not in alignment with our own.
I would like to make a suggestion with your journey and your reading of the Bible. Now I am not saying what you are doing is wrong, not my place or responsibility but, I have a suggestion that may help you enlightenment!
We, humans, live in the New Testament and New Covenant, and that is the part of the Bible that you should focus on. Don’t get me wrong, the Old Testament in priceless but, for someone searching and not currently having a relationship with Jesus Christ, starting with the Old Testament can make your search a harder. I would suggest you start the New Testament and just go back to the Old Testament when it is referenced to.
For example, you will learn that we do not live under the Ten Commandments or the “Law” anymore, with the New Covenant we live under Love and Grace. You need to learn about the new Covenant aspects of Love, forgiveness, salvation and Grace, which are different than those from the Old Covenant! Another thing, God is not in the business of wrath any longer, at least not until his return and that wrath has nothing with believers.

Romans 8, in the New Testament talks about their being no condemnation for those in Jesus Christ, this is one of the truths that you need to learn.

Last edited:

Hebrews 11:1 describes faith as a decision to believe something we do not understand. For instance, most people have little or no understanding of the workings of the laws of physics, yet they depend on (have faith in) internal combustion engines to power vehicles of transportation.

It sounds like you might be recoiling from teaching about God as a vengeful God. If I'd only heard about a vengeful God, I'd be running the other way, too. My suggestion for your Bible Study right now is the Gospel of John. John's Gospel is centered on Jesus' teachings and God's love (cf Jn 3:16-17). Its God's LOVE that energizes me, not any fear of Him. I hope to meet you in heaven.

Spirit Led Ed (SLE)

Last edited:

Why don't you try reading the New Testament until you get a firm understanding of it. The Old Testament makes far more sense once you know the One who redeemed us from the curse of the Law.
In fact I am not asking you to specifically give up anything. Seek God, meet God, learn who He is and learn to walk in His presence. If you are willing to do these things (and only if) then you will desire to leave that old life all by yourself with no nudging from me.

Alright, so I've been thinking about this a lot and I've started to read the new testement like you all told me too. I still find everything very interesting but, very confusing too. This Thursday, I'm going to a sort of a revival for pagans. Anyone of any belief can go, and if I don't then I'll feel horrible. Whenever I go, there are usually Christians of all sorts there trying to convert people or teach them. As far as I know, nobody at the revival treats them rudely and sometimes they listen to for the sake of learning. Do you think it would be wrong to listen to the preachers of different denominations to try and find one that makes me feel the most comfortable?

Anyways, last Sunday in church, my youth group talked about the subject of pride and the difference in being a 'shepard' and a 'slaver'. When we were done with the lesson we played a small game that was sorta along the lines of a mock campaign or election. So, here are the questions that I had,

1. I've already been told that blind pride is bad but, how are we to know when it's gotten to that point? Most others can see it but, how can we?
2. In the bible I've seen that it says to fear God. In the lesson we learned that respect and love is the best way to lead. Is this contradictory?
3. It also says in the bible not to do good deeds in front of people. Why is that?
4. If a leader is a horrible person and cruel, is it sinful for the followers to try and do away with him?
5. Are people who are preachers leaders of the church? if so, how come sometimes I read about pastors or priests who are wrong or bad? Why would God let them preach the wrong things?

Alumentum;159899[/QUOTE said:
1. I've already been told that blind pride is bad but, how are we to know when it's gotten to that point? Most others can see it but, how can we?and love is the best way to lead. Is this contradictory?
Our pridefulness is revealed as we mature as believers. I didn't realize my pridefulness until I began to learn the value of humility.

3. It also says in the bible not to do good deeds in front of people. Why is that?

You're referring to Mt 6:1, which tells us to not do good deeds with the intention of getting any sort of payback from people. The verse says that when we seek rewards from people for such deeds, we get no reward from God.

4. If a leader is a horrible person and cruel, is it sinful for the followers to try and do away with him?

If by "do away with him" you're referring to assasination, my answer is "yes". "'Vengeance is mine,' says God, 'I will repay.'" (Heb 10:30)

5. Are people who are preachers leaders of the church? if so, how come sometimes I read about pastors or priests who are wrong or bad? Why would God let them preach the wrong things?

There's a huge difference between being appointed to a leadership position and actually being a leader. As Margaret Thatcher once said, "Being a leader is like being a lady; if you have to tell people you are, you probably aren't."

As to preachers preaching the "wrong things", what "wrong things" are you talking about? There are topics in Scripture that theologians, preachers, and believers disagree on. Disagreement is not necessarily bad. Beware of preachers who carry a judgemental "My way or the highway!" attitude.

Regarding preachers "doing wrong things": They are human beings just as we are and are thus subject to temptation. However, in the past the church has promoted the idea that ministers are above the common folk, an attitude that Jesus never endorsed.

Spirit Led Ed (SLE)

1. I've already been told that blind pride is bad but, how are we to know when it's gotten to that point?
Pride and self sufficiency apart from God is the root of all sin and the start of man's fall.

Most others can see it but, how can we?
As I mentioned earlier, if you walk with Jesus He changes you form the inside out. Learning to walk in His strength is the key to peace and you will always find yourself humbly preferring others. Sin is usually the symptom and treating only it ignores the root problem. Man was created for union and communion with God apart form that he can never truly be complete.
2. In the bible I've seen that it says to fear God. In the lesson we learned that respect and love is the best way to lead. Is this contradictory?
Reverent fear is indeed the beginning of wisdom. Learning to walk in His presence and knowing the greatness of His love is the completion of that wisdom. There is no contradiction and when one really comes to know His goodness perfect love casts out all fear.
This is because of dead religion which some depend on instead of a living relationship with God and because man's flesh loves to be both religious and prideful.
4. If a leader is a horrible person and cruel, is it sinful for the followers to try and do away with him? 5. Are people who are preachers leaders of the church? if so, how come sometimes I read about pastors or priests who are wrong or bad? Why would God let them preach the wrong things?
God is not the Author of confusion and He has placed order in all creation. If ons follows a leader and that leader violates a higher authority (God's Word) then one should l;eave that situation in obedience to that higher authority.
Also understand that anybody can fall short and choose to follow their flesh instead of walking with God. Of we are prayerful we will easily discern when things are not right and know exactly what to do.

My friend, if you really want change, if you really want knew life and you really want to understand the Word of God (the bible) then I suggest you give Jesus a try. Accept His sacrifice as your own acknowledging that He gave His life so you could walk in His righteoueness while He took that sin. Turn from what displeases Him and ask him to be both your Savior and Lord. He will send the Holy Spirit (our Teacher, our friend and our Paraclete- one who walks beside us). If and when you give your life to Jesus you will then begin to see everything differently. You will be indwelt by the greatest power anywhere which is the very presence of the Living God. He will speak to you, empower you and open your eyes.

I am glad you decided to read the New Testament. There are a few things you should know about to help in your understanding.

Jesus (in His earth walk) preached almost exclusively to lost people (sinners) and practicing Jews. He fulfilled the Law and bore our sin giving new life to all that would come.
The Book of Acts is the birth of God's church.
The Epistles that follow are God's love letter to the church His bride.
I am praying daily that you find the greatest joy of all- life with Jesus.
Many blessings,
your friend Larry.

Thank you both for your answers.

I have been reading a lot and I've talked with my parents and the youth pastor at our church. Everything is starting to make more and more sense to me. I'm still really worried about taking that first step so early. For right now, I think I just need to make sure that this is what I really want and not something else.

I'm still really worried about taking that first step so early.

If I were you I'd re-think that "so early" posture. Hopefully, you will live a long life, but, there's no guarantee. Please don't convince yourself "That won't happen to me" when you read of people dying at a young age. Besides, I've found that the Christian life, when one is fully committed to Christ, need be not boring or drudgery; It can can be (and has been for me) very fulfilling and enjoyable.

"I tell you, now is the time of God's favor, now is the day of salvation." (2 Cor 6:2 NIV)

SLE

Last edited:
I suppose. I'm very aware of what could happen to people today, especially kids my age.

I have a few questions though and they have stories to them.

1. I've been begging my dad to let me take a martial arts class. He said I could but, only if I join the football team next year. I told him I would but, I was just curious as to why he would ask something like that.

2. I'm sorry if this offends anyone. On Thrusday, I got a phonecall from a friend and she was hysterical. There is a sacred area, that I and other pagans of any belief go to for holidays and revivals and just plain fellowship. My friend had called to tell me that someone had been there and destroyed most of the monuments, which by the way have been there for hundreds of years, spraypainted horrible messages everywhere, and broke the stone altar we had. Now I know that none of these are important to you but, this is just sick. The police caught the people and they were just a bunch of skin heads but, they said they did it in the name of God. Would God really advocate something like this?

1. I've been begging my dad to let me take a martial arts class. He said I could but, only if I join the football team next year. I told him I would but, I was just curious as to why he would ask something like that.

Its a Quid Pro Quo (This For that) - an even trade: You give me what I want and I'll give you what you want.

they were just a bunch of skin heads but, they said they did it in the name of God. Would God really advocate something like this?

The answer is "No." When they said that, they were mocking God; trying to make a fool of him.

SLE

Huh, I guess that makes sense. Of course, he could've just told me I was going to play football and not have martial arts at all and I'd be fine with it.

I hope you're right on that. Things like this is what I think makes most people afraid of religions like Christianity.

Anyways, last Sunday we talked about marrige in church. I pretty much understood most of the lesson but, I wasn't real sure how it would work out in today's society. So, my question is, what is a man and woman's role in todays life and what should they do and not do?

I hope you're right on that. Things like this is what I think makes most people afraid of religions like Christianity.

I trust that the "that" you're referring to is my comment on the skinheads.

So, my question is, what is a man and woman's role in todays life and what should they do and not do?

Talk to your pastor about this. He should be more qualified to counsel you on this issue than I am.

SLE

Last edited:
Alright, I probably will this coming Sunday. I think I'll talk to my parents about it as well.

Anyways, I have two subjects I wanted to talk about. One was about mysticism. Is it sinful to read about mythology and to study it? Is it sinful to do things like fortune telling or doing ritualesque things like chanting or leaving offerings on an altar?

The second thing is a youth camp trip. The youth group at my church is going on this week long trip to a river and they'll be doing all sorts of things that people do when you camp. I was wanting to know if it would be a good idea to go? I mean, I've never done anything like this so I wasn't sure X /.

Alright, I probably will this coming Sunday. I think I'll talk to my parents about it as well.

Please use the Quotes feature when you make statements like this so other members can be certain as to what you're referring to.

Is it sinful to read about mythology and to study it? Is it sinful to do things like fortune telling or doing ritualesque things like chanting or leaving offerings on an altar?

These practices, in my opinion, are examples of man attempting to figure out spiritual things that are beyond the capability of even the most intelligent people. In their folly, they did what Paul writes of in Ro 1:18-20; they ignored the knowledge of God that is available through His creation. So, my question is why do you want to study mythology?, since it should be obvious that mythology is not a pathway to spiritual truth?

The second thing is a youth camp trip. The youth group at my church is going on this week long trip to a river and they'll be doing all sorts of things that people do when you camp. I was wanting to know if it would be a good idea to go? I mean, I've never done anything like this so I wasn't sure X /.

Take a risk. Go for it and enjoy yourself. I think you'll find out that you can make some true friends there. Try to avoid over-analyzing everything.

SLE

Last edited:
Okey doke, I'm back from camping. I have to say, that was the most fun I've ever had! The kids that I went with were hilarious and the youth group pastor that went with us was really nice. Every night we would have a lesson and then we would get in groups and play a game over the lesson. I think the story I liked the most while I was there was about David and the Giant. It was really similar to another story I've heard in my religion. Anyways, I learned a lot, made tons of friends, and now we have numerous inside jokes over the random stuff we did while camping XD. I have to say the funniest thing was the boys vs. girls tent set up. The girls had their tent set up in seconds and me and the other boys just kinda stared at ours hoping it would make itself XD. After about 30 minutes, the girls finally helped us out.