• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Movie: Joker

Staff Member
This is not a movie I will be watching, but I'm not everyone. So, my use of this article which is well done by a believer who has watched it. Is not only to inform, but to guide those who may come across those who have, and share with them the light that is missing from this movie.

With the Love of Christ Jesus.
YBIC
Nick
<><

I watched joker with my cousin a few weeks after it came out, and he and I both agreed that Deadpool definitely had more gore and violence in its first ten minutes then joker had during the entire film.
I’m not saying that Joker wasn’t violent, but I feel like the violence was rather tame, as the movie focused more on the development, or regression shall I say, of Jokers psyche rather than his actions. I’m fact, I would go so far as to say that Heath Ledger, the man who played joker in the Batman trilogy, was more violent than this one.
Maybe I’m not as sensitive as others, but I believe [unpopular opinion] that joker 2019 wasn’t scary, or gory, and wasn’t that great of a film. Now looking at the article, I feel like it goes against the films narrative if the joker were to have been given hope, as the end of the article suggested. The movie is about a man with a mental illness, navigating through a world that doesn’t care about him and lashing out. If there have been “glimmers of hope” as the article suggests, then we wouldn’t have had a movie, we wouldn’t have a villains backstory. Unless this is the mafia, I don’t think prayer would fit too well in this narrative.
To answer the articles question of “why?”, the author needs to understand that this is not a new phenomenon. People naturally gravitate towards flawed characters because people are inherently flawed beings. When they see Joker, they see someone that is broken, lost, helpless, and they see themselves in that. And when they see him fighting back against a “society that doesn’t care about them”, they feel motivated to fight back-not necessarily through violence-but in their own way. Although the movie doesn’t call for us to empathize, or put ourselves intothe jokers shoes, it definitely wants us to sympathize with him, pity him for all of his hardships, and root for him when he fights back.
I’m not saying that it’s a good movie. i don’t believe that this movie was as ground breaking or as thought provoking as people said it was, and I don’t think the plot twists made any sense. It was, however, a fairly decent villain backstory.

Active
I personally watched this movie, but I wouldn't suggest to kids or anyone else to watch it or tell them it is a good movie. Why to make a movie on a villain and focus so much on him? I personally enjoyed more Heath Ledger in the Batman movie also because the story doesn't focus so much on him. It is like we want to justify the doings of a villain, because he's been a victim of the society. Good acting though, but this movie could encourage someone to entertain certain actions, certain things that are not right. Of course I am not only watching faith based movies, but I can see in many of the story lines a wrong influence, especially for the young auditory.

Active
About 60 years ago Mom said Reba dont go see any movies you would not take Jesus with ya to see. Good advice

I personally watched this movie, but I wouldn't suggest to kids or anyone else to watch it or tell them it is a good movie. Why to make a movie on a villain and focus so much on him? I personally enjoyed more Heath Ledger in the Batman movie also because the story doesn't focus so much on him. It is like we want to justify the doings of a villain, because he's been a victim of the society. Good acting though, but this movie could encourage someone to entertain certain actions, certain things that are not right. Of course I am not only watching faith based movies, but I can see in many of the story lines a wrong influence, especially for the young auditory.
The Batman trilogy didn’t focus on the joker because the movie was about Batman and his origins and character. The Joker 2019 was about the Joker and his origins, so of course the movie is going to focus on him and his narrative.
You could see in the article that the author herself admits that the movie didn’t seek to justify the actions of the joker. [Spoilers] By the end of the movie, you see other characters telling the Joker what he did was wrong, and he was later arrested for his crimes, but he breaks out, marking the official beginning of his life of crime and madness. Almost sounds like an origin story.
To me, this movie is kind of like one of those where it tries to give insight into the mind of an antagonist, much like how some shows would give time to dive into a school’s bully abusive and troubled pass. The movie tries to answer, “where does evil come from?” “who is to blame?” And the answer it not so subtly suggests is, you already know: society.
and this isn’t entirely inaccurate. Sure, the events in the movie are extreme, but that’s becuase it’s fiction. In the real world (or more specifically, the US), the majority of people in prison are those in low income communities. Those who were raised without father (ie. a source of income) and were left behind with widowed mothers on welfare are typically raised in poverty, so they turn to crime as an alternative for survival. Not to mention that the US prison system has no idea how to handle inmates with mental illness, so it has been shown that those with mental illnesses tend to have longer prison sentences than normal inmates.
So how inaccurate would you say the joker is really?