• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Mormonism

Pretty sure Mormons believe that they sin.... Who told you this crazy stuff.... Since I am Mormon , I should know.

Staff Member
Pretty sure Mormons believe that they sin.... Who told you this crazy stuff.... Since I am Mormon , I should know.

Since you've identified yourself as a Mormon, if you could please, answer me one question, which I've heard from an Apologist concerning Mormonism. Even invited a Mormon acquaintence of mine to the meeting and was honest enough to let him know that I could verify what the Bible said but really would have no idea concerning the BOM on the truth of what this man was claiming to be true. One question in particular I found interesting because by its very nature would reflect the difference between Christianity and Mormonism. He couldn't answer me on the truth of it, and never did get back with me on it. Didn't want to press him, so if you could answer it, I'd appreciate it.

Does Mormonism or LDS believe that Jesus & Lucifer are brothers or should I say were spirit brothers?

Last edited:
Honestly I do not know... I dont even know if when I went to other churches besides my own if they even ever discussed this, nor do I think that my salvation depends upon it, so it is not something that I would worry myself over. But I would have to say no, since Jesus was the only begotten son. It is something I will deff have to ask, because ultimately I am just not that knowledgeable in this area and I will not pretend to be. I can only tell you what I believe to be true... I guess I was just so amazed that people were so critical and judgmental that it completely turned me off to this site, and I felt the need to defend my church. I will try to find the answer you seek. The one thing that I love about my church and something that everyone should look at, is no one!!! at all gets paid, they don't get cars to drive or houses to live in, they do as much or more work that a normal pastor at a church, work full time and have families, this is what I love about my church, they do it because that is what they have been called upon to do, our tithing do not go to paying a salary for the pastor! I am sorry if I seem a little upset, but I am. I came looking for others to talk to about Christ, and instead, I see people saying ... pray for those Mormons and other things ... just doesn't seem right, I would never do that to someone else.

Honestly I do not know... I dont even know if when I went to other churches besides my own if they even ever discussed this, nor do I think that my salvation depends upon it, so it is not something that I would worry myself over. But I would have to say no, since Jesus was the only begotten son. It is something I will deff have to ask, because ultimately I am just not that knowledgeable in this area and I will not pretend to be. I can only tell you what I believe to be true... I guess I was just so amazed that people were so critical and judgmental that it completely turned me off to this site, and I felt the need to defend my church. I will try to find the answer you seek. The one thing that I love about my church and something that everyone should look at, is no one!!! at all gets paid, they don't get cars to drive or houses to live in, they do as much or more work that a normal pastor at a church, work full time and have families, this is what I love about my church, they do it because that is what they have been called upon to do, our tithing do not go to paying a salary for the pastor! I am sorry if I seem a little upset, but I am. I came looking for others to talk to about Christ, and instead, I see people saying ... pray for those Mormons and other things ... just doesn't seem right, I would never do that to someone else.

The New Testament is loaded with warnings against false teachings. We are to "practice" our skills of discernment so that we can tell the truth from lie.

Hebrews 5:14
But solid food is for the mature, for those who have their powers of discernment trained by constant practice to distinguish good from evil.

Additionally, Jesus calls Himself the Way, the Truth, and the Life for a reason. He, and the apostles, warned again and again about false prophets and false teachers who were going to infiltrate the church.

They weren't lying. The last 2,000 years the church of God has indeed been infiltrated with all forms of heresy which has worked to lead many, many Christians astray and away from Jesus.

Even moreso, at the end of the age, Paul warns of what he calls the "apostasy." The apostasy is a massive rebellious slide away from Biblical truth in the church that leads many, many people at the end of the age astray (emphasis mine):

2 Thessalonians 2:3
3 Let no one deceive you in any way. For that day will not come, unless the rebellion comes first, and the man of lawlessness is revealed, the son of destruction,

Now more than ever, Christians need to get into the word of God to know what His will is. We cannot trust to find the truth in any man, man is evil. Man will continually draw other men away from God. But God has the truth for those who want it. He is faithful.

You may not even know what the Mormon church believes totally, but it is not Biblical. I won't go into their doctrines, I will share some simple truths for you that will be a rock for you to cling to. God is so merciful, He doesn't care what "denomination" you've grown up in. He just wants your whole heart and all your love.

Here is the real Gospel:

The LORD God is one, and He has expressed Himself in three ways: Father, Son, Holy Spirit.

He came down in flesh to be the Savior of His beloved creation. When Jesus died on the cross, He paid the sin debt of all those who accept Him. Three days later, He rose from the grave uncorrupted with a glorified body. He then ascended to the right hand of God the Father where He intercedes for those who seek salvation.

God the Father then sent His Holy Spirit to the world to do a number of things: To reveal to people their sinful natures, to baptize them in order to empower and help His children overcome sin in their life, and to guide and comfort in all ways as we walk in this world.

If you believe in your heart Jesus died for your sins and arose three days later, and you confess with your mouth that Jesus Christ is Lord, you will be saved.

But that's not all, God wants to make sure you make it through all the trials and tribulations of this world. He wants to clothe you with power from on high: The baptism of the Holy Spirit.

If you pray for the baptism of the Holy Spirit, God will give it to you. He may convict you of your sin, though, if you haven't repented sincerely. Don't fight it, turn from the sin He points out to you and call upon the name of Jesus to overcome the temptations when they come. In His time, He will break the bondage of that sin and set you free.

The Holy Spirit is a wonderful gift, and it will manifest mightily making you more zealous for truth, love, and a closeness with God you've never experienced before. It will also change your whole view of the world, as it is the Spirit of Truth and will reveal all the lies in this world.

I pray you simply meditate on these truths and seek Him sincerely. He will reveal everything you need to know. In Jesus' name I pray...

Last edited:
One last thing I must share. Coming from a Catholic background, I know how people can be filled with the urge to cling to the culture of their religion because it's comfortable and what they're used to.

However, as Christians we must be prepared to put aside everything for the sake of Jesus' truth. Literally, He wants us to love Him more than our very families, let alone more than a religious organization (emphasis mine):

Matthew 10:34-39
34 “Do not think that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I have not come to bring peace, but a sword. 35 For I have come to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law. 36 And a person's enemies will be those of his own household. 37 Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me, and whoever loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. 38 And whoever does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me. 39 Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.

I thank God for you chad ! They come as a angel of light so to speak! but believe vile evil things! It a Cult! I do not trust Mormons!
Even most mormons do not know the truth of there own cult they serve!They Do not tell them what all they really believe !
Only those at the top know the full evil they accepted as truth!

Joh_10:27 My‡† sheep hear my‡† voice, and I know them, and they follow me:

Our Relationship is one on one!
Has nothing to do with others! I put no faith in religions or even in my self! My Faith is in MY LORD JESUS only !

So many are tricked into serving religion and what they teach as truth! It very sad , when our Father gave Us a part of his Own being, so we would know the truth with the correct understanding! I too started in a religion and Got books they said? would give me the correct meanings of word! But quickly went to the Spirit of truth to teach me and give me the correct understanding! It all by faith !

Joh_8:36 If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed.

Eph 4:21 If so be that ye have heard him, and have been taught by him, as the truth is in Jesus:

2Th_2:10 And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved.

1Jn_2:27 But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.

Heb_1:2 Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;

2Co_13:14 The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Ghost, be with you all. Amen

1Co 2:10 But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God.

1Co_2:13 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.

Staff Member

ByGraceAlone has provided you scripture to look at and to meditate on. As you can see from her posting that salvation does not depend on the type of knowledge that would allow you to answer the question I posed to you. But you should know scripture in order to determine the truth of what you’re being taught or being told. You have to remember deception can be either intentional or unintentional. I would classify most of the world’s religions under unintentional by those who practice it at least at this date and time. The origin of them are so far removed in time from their roots that the intent which I believe was intentional (Lucifer or corrupted man.) has been lost except from what can be discerned through their writings.

To be honest, there are a lot of behavioral traits that Mormonism has that Christians would do well to have in their own lives (many do). That would also be the case for Islam, Hinduism, and others. Just keep in mind that Christianity is the only one that does not require works as part of the Salvation process. If works were the foundation of Salvation then I truly believe that Christ Jesus would not have needed to die on the Cross in order to reconcile us with God through His death and resurrection. BGA explained rather well that as her name states that salvation is “By Grace Alone” and that ones acts or works if you will (includes baptism) will not save one. Her previous experience in the Catholic Church was one that combined faith & works as needed for salvation. If I’m not mistaken in that respect Mormonism is very similar. Charles Spurgeon who was a contemporary of Joseph Smith, though in England said about the Gospel as follows: “Do you not understand it? Christ bore the wrath of God, instead of those who trust him. Jesus Christ took the sins of all who trust him, and was punished in the room and stead of every believer, so that God will not punish a believer, because he has punished Christ for him. Christ died for the man who believes in him, so that it would be injustice on the part of God to punish that man, for how shall he punish twice for the same offense?
Faith is the seal and evidence that you were redeemed nineteen hundred years ago upon the bloody tree of Calvary, and you are justified, and who shall lay anything to your charge. “It is God that justifies you: who is he that condemns you? It is Christ that died; yea, rather, that is risen again.” This is the gospel of your salvation.”

Just remember one thing. The biggest problem you’ll have to understand is why there are differences when we use the same words and have difficulty in being acceptable to one or the other. It’s as if we’re using two different Dictionaries. I mean Mormonism and Christianity. The words are the same but they mean two different things. Words such as who is God, Jesus, Holy Spirit, Lucifer etc will be defined differently between us. The perfect example is the word “Salvation” as shown by the above and ByGraceAlone in her posts.

Please don’t be insulted or feel that we are trying to convert you. We read the Word of God, pray about it, allow the Holy Spirit to work for revelation in our hearts and minds in the hope that we will comprehend His Word. We might use other document so that it might provide a perspective of how the Holy Spirit might have moved someone else in understanding the Bible, but ultimately it must not contradict the Bible. If it does, then it’s of no value except to be kept as a warning to others.

I pray that this provides you a little help in realizing that you have some homework to do

As well as a lot of praying. Know that you’ll have folks here praying for you as well. Mormon bashing is not I hope anyone’s intent here, just the truth as revealed by God through the Holy Scriptures and the Hope that all might come to believe.
C4E
P.S. You're welcome to contact me anytime to talk or just bounce things off of.

I thank God for you chad ! They come as a angel of light so to speak! but believe vile evil things! It a Cult! I do not trust Mormons!
Even most mormons do not know the truth of there own cult they serve!They Do not tell them what all they really believe !
Only those at the top know the full evil they accepted as truth!

Joh_10:27 My‡† sheep hear my‡† voice, and I know them, and they follow me:

Our Relationship is one on one!
Has nothing to do with others! I put no faith in religions or even in my self! My Faith is in MY LORD JESUS only !

So many are tricked into serving religion and what they teach as truth! It very sad , when our Father gave Us a part of his Own being, so we would know the truth with the correct understanding! I too started in a religion and Got books they said? would give me the correct meanings of word! But quickly went to the Spirit of truth to teach me and give me the correct understanding! It all by faith !

Joh_8:36 If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed.

Eph 4:21 If so be that ye have heard him, and have been taught by him, as the truth is in Jesus:

2Th_2:10 And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved.

1Jn_2:27 But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.

Heb_1:2 Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;

2Co_13:14 The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Ghost, be with you all. Amen

1Co 2:10 But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God.

1Co_2:13 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.

AGAIN !!! you are judging .... Pretty sure your not supposed to do that, you can believe what you want, as soon as this discussion is over I will be leaving this forum because of people like you, do you think that is what your Heavenly Father wants is for you to run people off and judge them, why would you not TRUST A MORMON??? you are judging an entire group of people... that is crazy!! that is like saying all Baptist cant be trusted, that is a lot of people, maybe you should pray about it,
I just simply do not , and will never understand people like you.

1Co 6:2 Do ye not know that the saints shall judge the world? and if the world shall be judged by you, are ye unworthy to judge the smallest matters?
1Co 6:3 Know ye not that we shall judge angels? how much more things that pertain to this life?

We must judge Good or evil! just judging the religion!not the people !
We Do Not have a religion! We have only a relationship with our Father God thru JESUS CHRIST or we have nothing!

Eph_3:17 That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love,
2Ti_1:13 Hold fast the form of sound words, which thou hast heard of me, in faith and love which is in Christ Jesus.
1Th_5:8 But let us, who are of the day, be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love; and for an helmet, the hope of salvation.

Heb_5:14 But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.

Joh_17:14 I have given them thy word; and the world hath hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.
Joh_17:16 They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.

We give ourselves to JESUS CHRIST 100% ,Then we belong to Only HIM!
Many people follow religions and cults and pastors and teachers! Not our LORD JESUS!
It All must be for Him and His Glory and Honor!

The question becomes? Is it for his glory or the glory of the type of church , that is being lifted up?

Joh 7:18 He that speaketh of himself seeketh his own glory: but he that seeketh his glory that sent him, the same is true, and no unrighteousness is in him.

Joh_6:29 Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.
Joh_10:27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:
Mat_22:14 For many are called, but few are chosen.

2Ti_3:5 Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.

2Ti 2:3 Thou therefore endure hardness, as a good soldier of Jesus Christ.
2Ti 2:4 No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.

Rom 8:5 For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.

Better to Stand Alone with the LORD JESUS , than to stand with many who are not following our LORD JESUS!

2Co_4:18 While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal.

How can anyone believe the Book of Mormon as a credible source for faith and Salvation when history and geography itself prove it to be false ? Mormons "claim" to hold the Bible up as the "Word of God" ....if you truly do , then why do you need another "holy" book...?.... can the Bible not stand on its own ?

Mormons are no different then Jehovah's Witnessess...they have a founder, they have there own book , and they believe a different Jesus from the Bible....the real Bible.

The evidence is out there , thats no guarantee you'll still believe.

AGAIN !!! you are judging .... Pretty sure your not supposed to do that, you can believe what you want, as soon as this discussion is over I will be leaving this forum because of people like you, do you think that is what your Heavenly Father wants is for you to run people off and judge them, why would you not TRUST A MORMON??? you are judging an entire group of people... that is crazy!! that is like saying all Baptist cant be trusted, that is a lot of people, maybe you should pray about it,
I just simply do not , and will never understand people like you.

Friend,

I can see why you're upset.
But everyone who is serious about his faith need the intellectual honesty to separate blind opposition from a well-grounded doubt.

I invite you to visit a website called Utah Lighthouse Ministry (I can't post links yet so you just have to google it).

This ministry was founded by:

Jerald and Sandra Tanner were raised in the LDS faith, both with a strong Mormon family history. Jerald is the great-great-grandson of John Tanner, well known for his sizeable financial contributions to Joseph Smith and the LDS church in 1835 when the church was deeply in debt. Sandra Tanner is a great-great-granddaughter of Brigham Young, the second president of the Mormon Church.

These two precious people have put a lot of critical research regarding the validity, consistency, and message of the Mormon organization. A Mormon like yourself may get an insight of what is the basis for the fundamental disagreement between Mormonism and the Christian faith from them.

I hope you get to read this post before you leave.

Last edited:
How can anyone believe the Book of Mormon as a credible source for faith and Salvation when history and geography itself prove it to be false ? Mormons "claim" to hold the Bible up as the "Word of God" ....if you truly do , then why do you need another "holy" book...?.... can the Bible not stand on its own ?

Mormons are no different then Jehovah's Witnessess...they have a founder, they have there own book , and they believe a different Jesus from the Bible....the real Bible.

The evidence is out there , thats no guarantee you'll still believe.
Often, people who write another book and practice
with that alongside the Bible, are doing
so because they want a message that makes them
comfortable, something that appeals to their interests
rather than using the Bible as a mirror to see ourselves
and judge whether we are reflecting Christ. It is not an
easy process to be more like Jesus. That is why Jesus
tells us to take up our cross daily. Luke 9:23