• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Figure of speech/colloquialism?

1. The Messiah said that three nights would be involved with His time in the "heart of the earth".

2. There are some who believe that the crucifixion took place on the 6th day of the week with the resurrection taking place on the 1st day of the week.

3. Of those, there are some who believe that the "heart of the earth" is referring to the tomb.

4. However, those two beliefs allow for only 2 nights to be involved.

5. To account for the discrepancy, some of the above say that the Messiah was using common figure of speech/colloquial language of the time, i.e., that it is was common to forecast or say that a day or a night would be involved with an event when no part of the day or no part of the night could occur.

6. In order for someone to legitimately say that it was common, they would have to know of more that 1 example to make that assertion.

I wonder if there is anyone here that knows of examples?

Loyal
Hello again rstats.

I believe the "Good Friday" and "Maunday Thursday" are just products of eastern liturgies.
You are partially correct.

Matt 28:1; Now after the Sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary came to look at the grave.
Mark 16:2; Very early on the first day of the week, they *came to the tomb when the sun had risen.
Mark 16:9; [Now after He had risen early on the first day of the week, He first appeared to Mary Magdalene, from whom He had cast out seven demons.
Luke 24:1; But on the first day of the week, at early dawn, they came to the tomb bringing the spices which they had prepared.
John 20:1; Now on the first day of the week Mary Magdalene *came early to the tomb, while it *was still dark, and *saw the stone already taken away from the tomb.

All of the verses above say Jesus was risen on Sunday morning. (The first day of the week, the day after Sabbath).
So if we go with what Jesus Himself said....

Matt 12:40; for just as JONAH WAS THREE DAYS AND THREE NIGHTS IN THE BELLY OF THE SEA MONSTER, so will the Son of Man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

It seems we are talking about 72 hours here. 24 x 3

One thing to keep in mind is the Jewish "day"s starts at sunrise. Some say midnight, but almost every verse in the Bible that gives reference to a specific hour uses sunrise
as the baseline.
So if we start at Sunday morning and go back 24 hours... that would be Saturday morning.
If we go back 48 hours... that would be "Good Friday".
If we go back 72 hours... that would be "Maunday Thursday".

However Jesus wasn't crucified at sunrise. He certainly didn't die at sunrise. It was already during daylight.
Matt 27:45; Now from the sixth hour darkness fell upon all the land until the ninth hour.
Matt 27:46; About the ninth hour Jesus cried out with a loud voice, saying, "ELI, ELI, LAMA SABACHTHANI?" that is, "MY GOD, MY GOD, WHY HAVE YOU FORSAKEN ME?"

Mark 15:25; It was the third hour when they crucified Him.

It was "the 3rd hour" when they crucified Him.
It was the ninth hour when Jesus "died". So He hung on the cross for 6 hours. (Some find significance in 6 being the number of man).
He was crucified in the 3rd hour (about 9am). He died at the ninth hour (about 3pm).

John 19:38; After these things Joseph of Arimathea, being a disciple of Jesus, but a secret one for fear of the Jews, asked Pilate that he might take away the body of Jesus; and Pilate granted permission. So he came and took away His body.
John 19:39; Nicodemus, who had first come to Him by night, also came, bringing a mixture of myrrh and aloes, about a hundred pounds weight.
John 19:40; So they took the body of Jesus and bound it in linen wrappings with the spices, as is the burial custom of the Jews.
John 19:41; Now in the place where He was crucified there was a garden, and in the garden a new tomb in which no one had yet been laid.
John 19:42; Therefore because of the Jewish day of preparation, since the tomb was nearby, they laid Jesus there.

Now if Jesus died at 3pm. Why wasn't it later in the day ... (I will post these verses again)... when the tomb was empty?

Matt 28:1; Now after the Sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary came to look at the grave.
Mark 16:2; Very early on the first day of the week, they *came to the tomb when the sun had risen.
Mark 16:9; [Now after He had risen early on the first day of the week, He first appeared to Mary Magdalene, from whom He had cast out seven demons.
Luke 24:1; But on the first day of the week, at early dawn, they came to the tomb bringing the spices which they had prepared.
John 20:1; Now on the first day of the week Mary Magdalene *came early to the tomb, while it *was still dark, and *saw the stone already taken away from the tomb.

All of the verses above say it was "very early" in the morning. In fact John says "while it was still dark". The sun hadn't risen yet. (But the Son did!)
So obviously it was before 3pm (the time Jesus died).

So we have discrepancy here. If Jesus didn't die until the ninth hour (3pm). and He was risen before Sunrise on Sunday.... that isn't really 72 hours.
That would be closer to say... ummm... 62, or maybe 63 hours at the most. But Jesus He would be in the grave 3 days and 3 nights.
If this is the case... it only makes sense that Jesus was crucified on Wednesday.

Loyal
Why is it? Why is it that Christians have been fighting over 'Should a Christian celebrate Christmas or Easter since the beginning? Why is it that Christians have been fighting over 'What day did Jesus get crucified? Or come out of the tomb?

All these useless arguments are simply legalism and strife.
We no longer use the same calendar they used back then. We don't use the same language.
How is it important? What difference does it make? Jesus died, raised from the dead, took the keys from the impostor, and paid the price. Then He said "It is FINISHED!" There is no need for this argument.

Loyal
Why is it? Why is it that Christians have been fighting over 'Should a Christian celebrate Christmas or Easter since the beginning? Why is it that Christians have been fighting over 'What day did Jesus get crucified? Or come out of the tomb?

All these useless arguments are simply legalism and strife.
We no longer use the same calendar they used back then. We don't use the same language.
How is it important? What difference does it make? Jesus died, raised from the dead, took the keys from the impostor, and paid the price. Then He said "It is FINISHED!" There is no need for this argument.

Amen Brother,
Let me add.....
Philippians 4:8
Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

So are all these dates helpful in building up a Christian?

Do these things equip a believer to stand in victory over the enemy?

Or perhaps it simply Leeds to useless arguments which in return brings strife which Always Hinders the Spirit of God and brings forth evil of every kind.

Hmmm perhaps think on those things.

Bendito and Wired 4 Fishen,

Your comments deal with issues for different topics. This particular topic is concerned with one thing and only one thing.

Active
1. The Messiah said that three nights would be involved with His time in the "heart of the earth".

2. There are some who believe that the crucifixion took place on the 6th day of the week with the resurrection taking place on the 1st day of the week.

3. Of those, there are some who believe that the "heart of the earth" is referring to the tomb.

5. To account for the discrepancy, some of the above say that the Messiah was using common figure of speech/colloquial language of the time, i.e., that it is was common to forecast or say that a day or a night would be involved with an event when no part of the day or no part of the night could occur.

6. In order for someone to legitimately say that it was common, they would have to know of more that 1 example to make that assertion.
Nope.

As there was no calendar cited in the bible, whoever designates a certain day of death should rely on scripture.
B-A-C does use scripture to prove Jesus died on Thursday, was in the tomb Thursday, Friday, and Saturday (Sabbath) nights
He was in the tomb before dark on Thursday, all day Friday, and all day Saturday.
That's three days and nights to me.
To infer seventy two hours in the tomb calls for conjecture.

Loyal
Nope.

As there was no calendar cited in the bible, whoever designates a certain day of death should rely on scripture.
B-A-C does use scripture to prove Jesus died on Thursday, was in the tomb Thursday, Friday, and Saturday (Sabbath) nights
He was in the tomb before dark on Thursday, all day Friday, and all day Saturday.
That's three days and nights to me.
To infer seventy two hours in the tomb calls for conjecture.

Again I will ask you here, why are all these dates so important to You?

They don't build you or others up.
They bring strife and get no one closer to God.

Just asking
Blessings

At Peace,
re: "B-A-C does use scripture to prove Jesus died on Thursday..."

That's an issue for a different topic.

Active
Again I will ask you here, why are all these dates so important to You?
They don't build you or others up.
They bring strife and get no one closer to God.
Just asking
Blessings
Why does proving the prophesies concerning Jesus' time in the grave bring strife to anyone?

At Peace,"
re: "As I wrote in post #9, yes, he did."

And as I wrote in post #11, that's an issue for a different topic.

Active
At Peace,"
re: "As I wrote in post #9, yes, he did."

And as I wrote in post #11, that's an issue for a different topic.
I think it is on topic.
Is there a different theory out there?
I know the false churches celebrate a Good Friday as the day of Christ's crucifixion, but if you are holding to that, it really doesn't matter to me.
Other matters are more important than which day Jesus died before His resurrection.

At Peace,
re: "Other matters are more important than which day Jesus died before His resurrection."

That's fine because that's an issue for a different topic.

Staff Member
@rstrats
Greetings,

Nothing comes to mind at present but I will keep a look out for any that do come to mind!
I think I get the gist of what you are asking. Perhaps if you try to ask again in different words, others (including myself) may better understand the topic and exactly your question?

I have heard of the use of common figure of speech/colloquial language of the time and have probably done so myself from time to time. How this fits into the topic at hand, I am not too clear about, though.
I have heard quite a few different takes on the 'three days' over the years and there are quite a few who get taken in by some of it. It is sad, as often these people also show a real desire to love and please God but often the proponents of some of these different takes/versions of the 'three days and nights' have fine print style hidden agenda which they unravel upon anyone who gets too inquisitive. They get sold on what appears to them to be fact by the use of information they didn't know about cultures and extra bits and then figure that these guys must be more on track than those who go along with or push the friday to sunday version.

It is usually a snare and we must ever be aware that snares are laid and while nobody deliberately goes out to be trapped in a snare, some do get ensnared.

It is probably another subject, but any info that can help others who have been duped is worthwhile talking about.

I don't know if you are wanting to talk about the three days and nights but I think not. Correct me if I am wrong, please.
If i read correctly, you are asking about the use of what you underlined as common?

Thanks for bumping this for us to look at.
I also am interested if anyone has any examples.

Bless you ....><>

Br. Bear,
re: "I don't know if you are wanting to talk about the three days and nights but I think not."

For the purpose of this topic you are correct about that.

re: "If i read correctly, you are asking about the use of what you underlined as common?

That is correct. I'm requesting examples which show that it was common to forecast or say that a daytime or a night time would be involved with an event when no part of the daytime or no part of the night time could occur.

Loyal
I'm sorry. and not to offend anybody, but this conversation is still a waste of time. You are arguing a happening, looking at the days from the Wrong canendar...For no good reason...Whats important is that Jesus died, spent three days in the Earth Rose again from the dead and bought and paid for our salvation and deliverance from the hell reserved for the fallen ones.

If you will look at the proper calendar, you will find there were TWO sabbaths that week. Not just one. If you look at the proper calendar you will see that Jesus WAS in the ground Three days...
The bible talks about forming a judgment without having all the facts. The facts being argued here are not anywhere near accurate. So stop the argument...Please