• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Drinking and clubs???

I've heard some christians say it's alright to go to clubs. Also that's it's alright to drink occasionally. Personally I do not agree with this ,but I don't judge anyone either what do you guys think?

" I BESSEECH you therefore,brethren by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice,holy,acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. Romans 12:1

I believe it depends if you get drunk or not. How can you glorify God when you are drunk? We must stay in our right mind when praising God. As Christians we should not follow the crowd, but follow Jesus instead.

Ephesians 5:18
"And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;"

Psalm 118:8
"It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in man."

hm..i am only 16 so i can´t go to clubs.. but i think that drinking is wrong, because "Thou shalt have no other gods before me." .. and when iwas stupid, and i drunk, alcohol was my God.. Why we just drinking, even though Jesus is offering so much better for us ?
i am orry, i dont have so good english.. but..i hope that you understand what i am trying to say..

I think people need to step back and look at a club or a bar for what it really is. It's Satans den of iniquity. Here are a few things promoted by clubs:

Sex (look at dancing today. It's not about excercise and having fun. It's about rubbing your body against someone elses)
Drinking (some will actually kick you out if you don't drink)
Drugs (they may not condone it, but it's there)
Immorality (ok that could fall under sex)

There is absolutly no place for a person of God at a club. Unless of course you are outside handing out Gospel tracts, but thats a whole different story.

Also read the Alcohol thread in Scriptural Answers if you havent already.

Two of the best known authors of the 20th Century, C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien (both Christians),often met at a pub in Oxford, England and drank a pint or two while they talked.The Bible says "Do not get drunk on wine..." (Eph 5:18), not "Do not drink wine."

But, young people need to keep in mind the difference between their capacity for alcohol and that of more mature adults; that, no matter what their egos might be telling them, their minds and their bodies are not mature enough to handle alcohol without an elevated level of risk. Three or four beers has little effect on most adult men, but, three or four beers in a teenager usually causes drunkenness and a drastically increased potential for disaster.

SLE

Last edited:
My issue isn't so much with alcohol, as the bible doesn't condemn drinking, but drunkeness like Ed said.

The problem I find would be in the establishment. I don't know what an english pub is like. My guess is it's probably like a North American restaurant. except maybe smaller.

Clubs on the other hand do not have an atmosphere that is beneficial to Christian living. I stated my problems with them earlier. Christians shouldn't be associated with such establishments as it harms your testimony.

Christian teens shouldn't drink because it's against the law. The bible says we are to be submissive to our leaders and governments. If the government says you shouldn't drink, you shouldn't. Not necessarily because they say so, but because God says so.

drinking and getting drunk

There is nothing in the bible that says drinking is wrong, however it does speak against getting drunk. But I personally think it is wise to stay away from alcohol, because it is still temptation to get drunk, and it is too hard to define a limit of how much to drink.

Also, why give yourself even a small part of something that can lead towards sinning? Why not just stick with coke or cordial? I like to think of it this way: If somebody died from having a bucket of acid thrown on them, would it make any sense to say "That's crazy! I'll just pour a little bit of acid on myself..." I know alcohol isn't quite the same, but it still isnt good for you- and your body is a temple of christ - so its your decision to make whether you want to take the risk or not.

If you think you can manage it, then I don't see why it is a problem, but be really careful that you dont get drunk.

ONE LAST POINT: When it comes to witnessing, people notice that you dont drink ro smoke or watch dirty movies- and while some will ridicule you, others will respect that, and it is what makes you diffferent from them. If you are drinking, even if you dont get drunk- how will they know? It is possible that they will just assume you drink and get drunk like everyone else, so if they ever came to church, they would see no need to give it up - not exactly the image of christ you would want to reach out to your friends

Administrator
Staff Member
I've heard some christians say it's alright to go to clubs. Also that's it's alright to drink occasionally. Personally I do not agree with this ,but I don't judge anyone either what do you guys think?

" I BESSEECH you therefore,brethren by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice,holy,acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. Romans 12:1

I do not go to bars or clubs. In the most rare occasion I may go to a decent (not sleazy) bar/lounge with a friend or friends I have not seen in quite a while. Of course, not to get drunk nor buzzed.

I think people need to step back and look at a club or a bar for what it really is. It's Satans den of iniquity. Here are a few things promoted by clubs:

Sex (look at dancing today. It's not about excercise and having fun. It's about rubbing your body against someone elses)
Drinking (some will actually kick you out if you don't drink)
Drugs (they may not condone it, but it's there)
Immorality (ok that could fall under sex)

There is absolutly no place for a person of God at a club. Unless of course you are outside handing out Gospel tracts, but thats a whole different story.

You laid this truth out nicely. I agree wholeheartedly. I'm from New York. The bars (most) are for drunkards. The clubs are all sexual oriented, hands down. The music is obnoxious and childish. It all targets the drugged up (techno, house, etc).

I think were supposed to be seperate from the world, and thus, not going to clubs or drinkin or anything like that. Not to judge, but I really don't think its right for somone really trying to get close to the Lord to be in that environment.

Administrator
Staff Member
Once I become born again nearly 6 years ago, I stopped going to clubs and bars. Maybe 2 or 3 times I went to a bar / restaurant and felt completely out of place. I felt emotionally gloomy just being there. I take it as a conviction from the Holy Spirit that I should not have been there.

I don't think these are suitable environments at all for a believer. Can you imagine Jesus drinking at a bar or dancing at a sleazy club? No way. Our GOD is Holy and we are to walk with Christ always, not just sometimes.

I don't think these are suitable environments at all for a believer. Can you imagine Jesus drinking at a bar or dancing at a sleazy club? No way. Our GOD is Holy and we are to walk with Christ always, not just sometimes.[/QUOTE]

Thats how I feel about it. If Jesus came to earth to visit you, would you ask HIm to visit a club or bar with you, or would you offer him a beer to drink with you? Jesus is really with us every day like this, just unseen. I don't think Jesus really wants to go to the bar with us, so why do we leave Him behind? He wants to be where we are, and I think if you go to a bar, your leaving Him behind.

Dear sister,

Christians, saying OK to go to clubs and bars!! Ahhh! But it is not so surprising to me (I'm surprised though), it reminds me a lot about the Pharisees and Scribes. It looks to me like, they are too tired to follow Jesus.

I guess this thread can describe the condition of many Christians in the Church the best way:

http://www.talkjesus.com/lounge/17917-devil-s-beatitudes.html

I never put my foot step into a bar or a club (By God's grace, nothing to boast about it). I never smoked a cigarette in my life. Glory to God.

All I can say is that a bar and a club are strictly not the places for a Christian. Drinking is absolutely satanic.

By the way, you said "I don't Judge anyone either......". You know what, it is right to Judge. Please see this thread, it will clarify your doubts about Judging:

http://www.talkjesus.com/bible-study-hall/16693-right-judge.html

But you should follow God's rules for Judging.

God bless you.

Last edited:
Most of everyone is leaning the same way with their opinion. I think that if anyone takes Jesus seriously enough to quit drinking and clubing, he should also take the Holy Spirit seriously who guides us, and will tell us when and where we can do what. Especially something in this category.

I don't see the harm of having a drink. Getting smashed, I can see where some Christians would disagree. It's obvious that some people have an affliction in their life that makes them view alcohol in a different light than those who have not suffered in such a way. IMO, it's simply your opinion. Do I enjoy having a scotch now and then? Sure do.

As for the club thing - I think that lots of Christians wouldn't go because it's not their bag. Women and Men dress and dance seductively, songs that play would be against a Christian lifestyle, tons of attitude, blah blah blah. But, the same could be said about a sporting event. Why then go to a football game? The Cheerleaders dress scantily, and dance in a way that is intended to turn on Men. Alcohol is served, the players want to hurt one another (due to the physical principle of the sport)

If you enjoy to go, then sure. If you looked hard enough, you could see sin and harm in doing anything. If you avoided doing everything, you'd turn into a Ned Flanders. yuck!

I don't see the harm of having a drink. Getting smashed, I can see where some Christians would disagree.

What!!!! I'm shocked by what you said. Why do you give the devil a chance to tempt you and ruin your life?

OK you say that you don't see any harm in drinking, how do you feel when you drink and come to a state where you won't be knowing where you are? How will you feel when you lie down drunk on the streets.

How can you glorify God when you get drunk? If you say you can glorify God when your drunk, it is nothing but hypocrisy.

Please don't mind if I'm sounding harsh to you. It is for your good that I'm telling you.

The bible warns us to flee from drinking.

Ephesians 5:18: "And be not drunk with Wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;"

Luke 21:34: “Watch out! Don’t let me find you living in careless ease and drunkenness, and filled with the worries of this life. Don’t let that day catch you unaware.

Romans 13:13: We should be decent and true in everything we do, so that everyone can approve of our behavior. Don’t participate in wild parties and getting drunk, or in adultery and immoral living, or in fighting and jealousy.

1 Corinthians 5:11: What I meant was that you are not to associate with anyone who claims to be a Christian yet indulges in sexual sin, or is greedy, or worships idols, or is abusive, or a drunkard, or a swindler. Don’t even eat with such people.

1 Corinthians 6:9-10:

Verse 9:Don’t you know that those who do wrong will have no share in the Kingdom of God? Don’t fool yourselves. Those who indulge in sexual sin, who are idol worshipers, adulterers, male prostitutes, homosexuals,

Verse 10: thieves, greedy people, drunkards, abusers, and swindlers, none of these will have a share in the Kingdom of God.

I may sound harsh to you, but it is for your good. My only advice is don't be a fool and compromise with sin. Please see these threads:

http://www.talkjesus.com/bible-study-hall/17507-revelation-2-3-a.html

http://www.talkjesus.com/bible-study-hall/16502-temptation.html

These threads are about what will happen, if we compromise with sin.

God bless you.

Hey,

I'm not going to say that there is no harm that comes from drinking. There are lots of people who struggle with it everyday. No doubt about it. BUT! Conversely, by having ONE drink does not automatically mean you are a drunkard. How do I know this? Easy. Last Saturday, I had a beer at a friend's house, and left his home sober. Don't confuse one with the other.

If Jesus drank (wine, presumably) at weddings, presumably not to get drunk then where in the Bible does it say point blank - not your iinterpretation "DO NOT DRINK". I'm not talking about getting drunk, just having a glass of wine.

I'm not sitting here saying that everyone's opinion should run linear with mine, absolutely not. Conversely, you should respect my POV.

If having a beer (or whatever) leads to a negative consequence, then why eat potato chips?

Eating potato chips leads to high sodium and cholesterol. That in turn leads to health concerns, some of which include depression, obesity, and even eventually death. So, if a potato chip can lead you down the beaten path, why have that?

I realize that the example is a stretch, and was solely intended as a metaphor - but anything you do can have a negative implication.

Listen, I'm not here to be the poster child for the benefits of alcohol, your decision is strictly between you and CHRIST. Not me, not your next door neighbour, noone.

Now, wait! Wasn't this post in the teen hangout? So, yes kiddies, if you're a teenager, don't drink, if anything, it's illegal.

What!!!! I'm shocked by what you said. Why do you give the devil a chance to tempt you and ruin your life?

OK you say that you don't see any harm in drinking, how do you feel when you drink and come to a state where you won't be knowing where you are? How will you feel when you lie down drunk on the streets.

How can you glorify God when you get drunk? If you say you can glorify God when your drunk, it is nothing but hypocrisy.

Please don't mind if I'm sounding harsh to you. It is for your good that I'm telling you.

The bible warns us to flee from drinking.

Ephesians 5:18: "And be not drunk with Wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;"

Luke 21:34: “Watch out! Don’t let me find you living in careless ease and drunkenness, and filled with the worries of this life. Don’t let that day catch you unaware.

Romans 13:13: We should be decent and true in everything we do, so that everyone can approve of our behavior. Don’t participate in wild parties and getting drunk, or in adultery and immoral living, or in fighting and jealousy.

1 Corinthians 5:11: What I meant was that you are not to associate with anyone who claims to be a Christian yet indulges in sexual sin, or is greedy, or worships idols, or is abusive, or a drunkard, or a swindler. Don’t even eat with such people.

1 Corinthians 6:9-10:

Verse 9:Don’t you know that those who do wrong will have no share in the Kingdom of God? Don’t fool yourselves. Those who indulge in sexual sin, who are idol worshipers, adulterers, male prostitutes, homosexuals,

Verse 10: thieves, greedy people, drunkards, abusers, and swindlers, none of these will have a share in the Kingdom of God.

I may sound harsh to you, but it is for your good. My only advice is don't be a fool and compromise with sin. Please see these threads:

http://www.talkjesus.com/bible-study-hall/17507-revelation-2-3-a.html

http://www.talkjesus.com/bible-study-hall/16502-temptation.html

These threads are about what will happen, if we compromise with sin.

God bless you.

If Jesus drank (wine, presumably) at weddings, presumably not to get drunk then where in the Bible does it say point blank - not your iinterpretation "DO NOT DRINK". I'm not talking about getting drunk, just having a glass of wine.

Alright. But now you mentioned about Jesus drinking wine at weddings. Let me tell you something, the wine what your refering to doesn't contain alcohol, it is grape wine obtained from the wine-press. I hope I made my point clear to you.

You may say it is alright to drink very rarely on such kind of occasions but, even if is rarely, your giving a chance for satan to tempt you, to fall away. That is what many of us have posted in this thread. I hope I made it clear to you.

God bless you.