• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Do you think that any genre of music can glorify God?

Do you believe that any genre of music can glorify God?

• Yes

Votes: 31 51.7%
  • No

Votes: 15 25.0%
  • Yes up to a point

Votes: 14 23.3%

• Total voters
Do we consider who the worship music is for? Do we write worship music based upon what we like or how the feel of the music appeals to our flesh? Who is the worship music supposed to appeal to? The worshiper or the one being worshiped?

Yes, the music and style of it matters. Consider the use of music in the entertainment industry. It is used in such a way to give the viewer a richer experience while viewing. Music used in movies is made to accentuate the film and bring out a fullness to it. So then what about our worship music? It is for God right? How are we choosing to give God a richer experience of our worship? Does the music we play to him match that which we are saying with the words we sing?

On the other hand, there is what is called worship music out there that is explicitly for the pleasure of the listener and not God. It isn't listened to so that God can be glorified. It is listened to solely for pleasure. Taking your sinful music styles you once listened to for pleasure in your ignorance and putting godly words to them so that you can still enjoy the pleasure of the music with some sort of proper theme is not glorifying to God. Bringing it into the church and calling it worship music is a slap in the face to the God you claim to love.

Always remember to ask, is this about me or about God? For my pleasure or his?

1 Cor 14:7, Eph 5:19,
Well said, and would like to add but one thing.
I have heard what passes for "Christian" music these days. My employer constantly played it on the radio while we were working, and I found no difference in it from the music I listened to when unsaved. Aggressive, in your face hard core heavy metal. I hated it. It was about as Godly as the stuff I was walking on. Seriously. Can any of you imagine playing that music before the eternal throne of glory? You honestly think that there are angels in heaven in the "mosh pit" banging their heads on the edge of the sea of glass in time to the beat of hard rock? Please, God have mercy!

I have heard what passes for "Christian" music these days. My employer constantly played it on the radio while we were working, and I found no difference in it from the music I listened to when unsaved. Aggressive, in your face hard core heavy metal. I hated it. It was about as Godly as the stuff I was walking on. Seriously. Can any of you imagine playing that music before the eternal throne of glory? You honestly think that there are angels in heaven in the "mosh pit" banging their heads on the edge of the sea of glass in time to the beat of hard rock? Please, God have mercy!

Amen to that

How do you interpret this verse? "Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him." 1 Jo 2:15 What is he referring to exactly?

Not loving worldly things.

I also think the kind of love that is being talked about here is the same love that we have for God. I don't think it applies when we say things like "Oh, I love watching TV". We have to actually love TV more than we love God. I think that it popped out to me in this perspective when later in this chapter it says "and the world will pass away". We shouldn't put something that is temporary directly before God when it comes to love.

Not loving worldly things.

Yes this would be the short answer

I also think the kind of love that is being talked about here is the same love that we have for God.

Yes, the same love we should have for God.

I don't think it applies when we say things like "Oh, I love watching TV".

Think again on this one. The Pharisees were said to have loved the uppermost seats in the synagogues (the pride of life - an element of the world). And it is the same 'agape' love used in 1 John. See Lk 11:43

We have to actually love TV more than we love God.

Unless of course, TV is a worldly thing then loving it at all would put you in the category of not having the love of God within you.

I think that it popped out to me in this perspective when later in this chapter it says "and the world will pass away". We shouldn't put something that is temporary directly before God when it comes to love.

Just before that it says "For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world." Show me one movie or television show that isn't permeated with these three things.

The next verse you pointed out "And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever." indicates that those who are of the world and not just in the world will cease to continue with the world.

I was hesitant to reply to yours as I am not sure I have anything to offer you that you want and I do not want to waste your time. But once again I appeal to your mind, what did Paul mean when he said "if we have hope only in this life we are of all men most miserable.?

Gary

I do believe that. I think that what excites us can excite Him. I'm not jazzed about listening to southern gospel or contemporary Christian music, but I get psyched out of my mind about a song from The Great Commission or For Today. I think it is errant to believe that God would only be ok with any certain style or that God can be worshipped only through quieter music styles. Do any of us look the same? How many different animals are there in the world? If there's variety elsewhere, why not here-it seems to be where most people are spoken to loudest. Plus it can provide a positive influence in the lives of those who listen to satanic or worldly metal or core. Don't throw the baby out with the proverbial bath water.

I do believe that. I think that what excites us can excite Him. I'm not jazzed about listening to southern gospel or contemporary Christian music, but I get psyched out of my mind about a song from The Great Commission or For Today. I think it is errant to believe that God would only be ok with any certain style or that God can be worshipped only through quieter music styles. Do any of us look the same? How many different animals are there in the world? If there's variety elsewhere, why not here-it seems to be where most people are spoken to loudest. Plus it can provide a positive influence in the lives of those who listen to satanic or worldly metal or core. Don't throw the baby out with the proverbial bath water.

You do err greatly in your illustration. The thesis is that since there is diversity then we ought to accept diversity everywhere. Yet you point out the good diversity of the way things look as well as the types of things God has created. Both of which are condition upon Creation. Then you take that and apply it to something outside of original creation which was very good, to justify something in the fallen world. These things ought not be so.

I agree, my brother, don't throw the baby out with the bath water. But we use the 'clean' water that was created very good to wash the filth off of the baby who was all created very good but made filthy by the fall.

In great love, lets keep seeking the absolute truth of the matter. And be careful of accepting the justification we receive from the spirit world who wants us to follow them and not God.

Gary

You do err greatly in your illustration. The thesis is that since there is diversity then we ought to accept diversity everywhere. Yet you point out the good diversity of the way things look as well as the types of things God has created. Both of which are condition upon Creation. Then you take that and apply it to something outside of original creation which was very good, to justify something in the fallen world. These things ought not be so.

I agree, my brother, don't throw the baby out with the bath water. But we use the 'clean' water that was created very good to wash the filth off of the baby who was all created very good but made filthy by the fall.

In great love, lets keep seeking the absolute truth of the matter. And be careful of accepting the justification we receive from the spirit world who wants us to follow them and not God.

Gary

Fair enough. I can take that point. It is made well. I do wonder, however, if you are saying that the 'clean' water is something that can be typified in modern Christian music or if it is the content of the music, regardless of style.

Fair enough. I can take that point. It is made well. I do wonder, however, if you are saying that the 'clean' water is something that can be typified in modern Christian music or if it is the content of the music, regardless of style.

I am working out understanding with Christ about music. I haven't been given crystal clear revelation about it as of yet. So I must not need it at this point. What has been revealed to me is that music effects both your flesh and the spirit. We know that these are contrary to one another (if it be attached to the holy spirit) and cannot be fed by the same thing. Our job is to understand whether the music we listen to is feeding our flesh or our spirit. It may be possible to be doing both. The music satisfying the flesh and the words speaking to the spirit. It wouldn't justify the music in that case.

I have a history of loving Pantera. I couldn't wait to get my fix when I had the opportunity. I waited in line 3 hours for 30 seconds of their time. I fed off of the negativity and absolute power of the music. The words were kinda neat but the music was truly my love. My flesh felt as if it were being energized and my spirit within me buzzed. My whole being was moved in a universal trance as one with the music. It was very pleasurable. It was me without God in the world living for me, everything all about me. I confess, it was evil and I loved it. Today I hate it. I can't wait until this world that is reserved unto fire is burnt and remembered no more.

In Christ,

Gary

Last edited:
I am working out understanding with Christ about music. I haven't been given crystal clear revelation about it as of yet. So I must not need it at this point. What has been revealed to me is that music effects both your flesh and the spirit. We know that these are contrary to one another (if it be attached to the holy spirit) and cannot be fed by the same thing. Our job is to understand whether the music we listen to is feeding our flesh or our spirit. It may be possible to be doing both. The music satisfying the flesh and the words speaking to the spirit. It wouldn't justify the music in that case.

I have a history of loving Pantera. I couldn't wait to get my fix when I had the opportunity. I waited in line 3 hours for 30 seconds of their time. I fed off of the negativity and absolute power of the music. The words were kinda neat but the music was truly my love. My flesh felt as if it were being energized and my spirit within me buzzed. My whole being was moved in a universal trance as one with the music. It was very pleasurable. It was me without God in the world living for me, everything all about me. I confess, it was evil and I loved it. Today I hate it. I can't wait until this world that is reserved unto fire is burnt and remembered no more.

In Christ,

Gary

Do you have a favorite food? What television shows?

Interesting. You'll eat whatever is plopped in front of you? If you have no favorite, you are unique to humanity. Hahaha.

Let me answer this question in two ways. First the way you actually asked it. Yes, I eat whatever the wife fixes without complaint. Secondly, I will answer a little tongue in cheek just because I love you.

If any of them that believe not bid you [to a feast], and ye be disposed to go; whatsoever is set before you, eat, asking no question for conscience sake. (Even if its pork?)

Gary

Let me answer this question in two ways. First the way you actually asked it. Yes, I eat whatever the wife fixes without complaint. Secondly, I will answer a little tongue in cheek just because I love you.

If any of them that believe not bid you [to a feast], and ye be disposed to go; whatsoever is set before you, eat, asking no question for conscience sake. (Even if its pork?)

Gary

Ha. Touché. I'm not sure. I would wonder what food is defined as in the biblical narrative.

Ha. Touché. I'm not sure. I would wonder what food is defined as in the biblical narrative.

As it is written, he that is weak in the faith accept ye but not unto doubtful disputations. One believes he can eat all things, the other eateth herbs.

Nothing separating us here as brethren,

Gary

As it is written, he that is weak in the faith accept ye but not unto doubtful disputations. One believes he can eat all things, the other eateth herbs.

Nothing separating us here as brethren,

Gary

Interesting....so no definition? I would say there is clearly a food distinction in Genesis an Exodus, but I suppose that falls 'completed' in God's filing cabinet.

Interesting....so no definition? I would say there is clearly a food distinction in Genesis an Exodus, but I suppose that falls 'completed' in God's filing cabinet.

Jonah, no definition. I shall PM you something special.

My Love to you in Christ the Righteous.

Gary

How do you interpret this verse? "Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him." 1 Jo 2:15 What is he referring to exactly?

Gary do you believe that one should worship God singing songs without the aid of musical instruments?

Gary do you believe that one should worship God singing songs without the aid of musical instruments?

There would be no musical instruments had it not been for knowledge given by God to man. There is nothing wrong with using them to worship him with or without words accompanying the music. Just as well, God gave man a voice to echo his praise in song and there is nothing wrong with singing unto the Lord, with or without music involved.

Does that clear things up? Or can I clarify further?

Gary

There would be no musical instruments had it not been for knowledge given by God to man. There is nothing wrong with using them to worship him with or without words accompanying the music. Just as well, God gave man a voice to echo his praise in song and there is nothing wrong with singing unto the Lord, with or without music involved.

Does that clear things up? Or can I clarify further?

Gary

Yes it does, thanks, for a moment I thought you might be COC, I think they don't allow musical instruments.

Yes it does, thanks, for a moment I thought you might be COC, I think they don't allow musical instruments.

Ugh, I went COC as they told me they were open to literally following the bible and doing only what the Lord said was OK. I asked them on what authority they collected from the people and they showed me 1 Cor 16. I said, so you are collecting for the poor saints in Jerusalem? Or other poor churches who are in need? Um, no. I thought you guys were literal??? I left.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled topic....music genres.